ADVERTISEMENT

Are any PSU players opting out of the bowl game?

bdroc

Aug 23, 2021
I haven't heard of any. Would Franklin allow us to know?

Same with kids deciding to take a Covid year or enter the portal? The only thing I've heard is Roberson leaving and Clifford staying. Right now I count 87 scholarship kids on next year's roster. Franklin talked about adding portal transfers at DE, DT, WR, and LB.

Same with kids deciding to take a Covid year or enter the portal? The only thing I've heard is Roberson leaving and Clifford staying. Right now I count 87 scholarship kids on next year's roster. Franklin talked about adding portal transfers at DE, DT, WR, and LB.

There are 4 PSU kids that have entered the portal to date. There are articles in this forum on all of them. Just search for "portal" if you want to learn more

Just pure speculation, but the only players I could see who are awaiting the NFL draft and might not want to get hurt are Rasheed Walker, Brisker, Joey Porter (who might return next season) and, of course, Dotson. Not sure why anybody else would opt out, especially since we're playing in sunny Florida.

Reactions: PSUTENN1
Just pure speculation, but the only players I could see who are awaiting the NFL draft and might not want to get hurt are Rasheed Walker, Brisker, Joey Porter (who might return next season) and, of course, Dotson. Not sure why anybody else would opt out, especially since we're playing in sunny Florida.
Walker? Walker? Do the scouts not have access to his 12 game season?

Brisker would be smart to sit this one out. He spent a lot of time dinged up this year and needs a weekend off!

Porter? I know what his size says, but I also know what refs think about him.

Dotson: Seems like he will get the Saquon treatment....get a few plays specifically made for him, make a splash, and get out:)

There are 4 PSU kids that have entered the portal to date. There are articles in this forum on all of them. Just search for "portal" if you want to learn more
I didn't mention Jennings, Rudolph, & Holmes but I think my scholarship number was accurate.

I hope he returns. PSU is going to be very thin at DB next year. Hardy & King should be decent CBs. I think Ellis is the only safety who was not a freshman last year.

Crappy? If you think the Outback is crappy then you only like Playoffs and NY6 which is crazy talk.
They're all crappy. Sure they're great for the players to play another game, often in a warm location. But they are meaningless and holding back college football from a proper playoff. For some reason (surely $$) there is this never ending love affair with bowl games that seems like it will never end.

Reactions: bourbon n blues
I believe several have accepted Senior Bowl invitations. So why skip the PSU bowl if you are playing in the senior bowl to get more brand awareness? I guess they can skip that too, if they want.

They're all crappy. Sure they're great for the players to play another game, often in a warm location. But they are meaningless and holding back college football from a proper playoff. For some reason (surely $$) there is this never ending love affair with bowl games that seems like it will never end.
In an 8 team field the top 8 bowl games would be playoff games. They can still have other bowl games for teams that missed the playoffs.

I haven’t heard of any. Might expect some players to follow Barkley’s example of playing, but a more limited role (JMO)

Last edited:
This crappy bowl game is ok if you see it as the first game of next year and not the last game of this year.
Disagree, this is not a "crappy" game. New Year's day, SEC opponent. Think we leap frogged other big teams for this game. Now waiitng to learn if Naples Alim club is sending a bus.

Disagree, this is not a "crappy" game. New Year's day, SEC opponent. Think we leap frogged other big teams for this game. Now waiitng to learn if Naples Alim club is sending a bus.
This big time. New Years Day bowl game against a SEC opponent is huge and a gift based on our record this year. After not playing in a bowl game last year I think the kids soak it in and I’d be surprised if we get any kids opting out of the game. Dotson probably should since he’s most likely a first round pick, but based on his humble demeanor and his parents being such big supporters of PSU and Franklin I don’t see it happening.

Reactions: ILLINOISLION

73 on the offensive line...wishful thinking

• Haha
Reactions: psu00
Walker? Walker? Do the scouts not have access to his 12 game season?

Brisker would be smart to sit this one out. He spent a lot of time dinged up this year and needs a weekend off!

Dotson: Seems like he will get the Saquon treatment....get a few plays specifically made for him, make a splash, and get out:)
Walker stunk this year.

Crappy? If you think the Outback is crappy then you only like Playoffs and NY6 which is crazy talk.
Yes this is a good bowl game and better than what we deserve but will take it. Hopefully we come out focused, prepared and motivated leading to a win. We have to win one of these toss up games.

Reactions: Texas Lion
I believe several have accepted Senior Bowl invitations. So why skip the PSU bowl if you are playing in the senior bowl to get more brand awareness? I guess they can skip that too, if they want.
Because the Senior Bowl practices are very important for some players with a pro coaching staff and tons of scouts watching the daily drills. Senior bowl game not nearly as important as the practices. Plus individual interviews where they can get to know the players.

The Senior Bowl is a professional mini camp with pro coaches and scouts in attendance all week. It’s a job interview.
A bowl game is game 13 in the football schedule. The NFL already has tape in the previous 12 games this year.

Reactions: dbsteel and TheGLOV
I hope he returns. PSU is going to be very thin at DB next year. Hardy & King should be decent CBs. I think Ellis is the only safety who was not a freshman last year.
I think Porter comes back but disagree witgh you on one thing. I think Hardy is already a good CB (possibly our best) and King is on his way to becoming one.

Reactions: bdroc
The Senior Bowl is a professional mini camp with pro coaches and scouts in attendance all week. It’s a job interview.
A bowl game is game 13 in the football schedule. The NFL already has tape in the previous 12 games this year.
I see the difference but feel like there isn't much. At the end of the day, it is an opportunity to build brand and reputation. If you don't feel you can build brand, you opt-out. That can be a mixture of feeling you are a top ten pick anyway, or that you don't feel you can perform. I guess you can also be afraid of getting hurt. That has to be weighed against some level of commitment to your college team and career. the school and team made a big investment.

Ole James made reference today that he seems to hope that a few more sooner rather than later will say they are playing. Honestly Brisker is the only one that should consider sitting out and that is because he seems to get dinged up a ton on game day.

I believe some players dog it when they feel they are a sure NFL pick, pretty soon they will be opting out of the last games of regular season play.

• Angry
Reactions: bdroc
I think Porter comes back but disagree witgh you on one thing. I think Hardy is already a good CB (possibly our best) and King is on his way to becoming one.
Porter leaves and it's an upgrade. Walking flag machine all year with zero ball skills or play recognition...another of Frankins super freak athletes who can't actually play the game of football.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT