ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone else see the "b1g Today" show this afternoon?

CJFisJoePaII

Sep 6, 2019
A textbook demonstration of how heavily biased the "traditional b1g" is against PSU. The first 15 minutes of the show are dedicated to an Iowa love-fest by all three of the hosts, who unanimously declare that Iowa is the best team in the Conference. And declare their rationale for Iowa over PSU is that Iowa has a "Complete Offense" while PSU's running game has struggled and struggled on 3rd down Conversions.....blah, blah, blah. Then the female host goes on to tell us that she was originally fooled by Iowa having the lowest offensive output of any team in the league, but then figured out that "they only have to go 40 yards on most of their drives due to takeaways....." (the real stat is that they have started 25% of their drives in plus-territory - i.e., opponent side of field). Anyway, she explains that this is why their offensive numbers aren't much better - these short fields have prevented them from racking up huge numbers???? Then she talks about how good their running game is (and is backed up by Howard the traditional b1g homer on the point).... I mean the number of staggeringly dumb things they said which were directly contradictory to what they had just hammered PSU for was staggering! For instance, please do explain how a "short field" (which was grossly exaggerated) would explain why Iowa's Yards Per Rushing Attempt is abysmal and second worst in the Conference at 3.4 ypc (and worse than PSU's ypc average of 3.9)???? Do tell how a short field explains why Iowa's 3rd Down Conversion Rate is again second worst in the b1g (and again slightly worse than PSU's)???

How on earth can these items be hammered on as huge weaknesses for PSU, but not for Iowa, when Iowa's numbers are slightly worse than PSU's in these categories, especially when Iowa's Total Offense is the WORST in the entire Conference at 320 yards per game (and way worse than PSU's Total Offense of 423 ypg)????

A textbook demonstration of how heavily biased the "traditional b1g" is against PSU. The first 15 minutes of the show are dedicated to an Iowa love-fest by all three of the hosts, who unanimously declare that Iowa is the best team in the Conference. And declare their rationale for Iowa over PSU is that Iowa has a "Complete Offense" while PSU's running game has struggled and struggled on 3rd down Conversions.....blah, blah, blah. Then the female host goes on to tell us that she was originally fooled by Iowa having the lowest offensive output of any team in the league, but then figured out that "they only have to go 40 yards on most of their drives due to takeaways....." (the real stat is that they have started 25% of their drives in plus-territory - i.e., opponent side of field). Anyway, she explains that this is why their offensive numbers aren't much better - these short fields have prevented them from racking up huge numbers???? Then she talks about how good their running game is (and is backed up by Howard the traditional b1g homer on the point).... I mean the number of staggeringly dumb things they said which were directly contradictory to what they had just hammered PSU for was staggering! For instance, please do explain how a "short field" (which was grossly exaggerated) would explain why Iowa's Yards Per Rushing Attempt is abysmal and second worst in the Conference at 3.4 ypc (and worse than PSU's ypc average of 3.9)???? Do tell how a short field explains why Iowa's 3rd Down Conversion Rate is again second worst in the b1g (and again slightly worse than PSU's)???

How on earth can these items be hammered on as huge weaknesses for PSU, but not for Iowa, when Iowa's numbers are slightly worse than PSU's in these categories, especially when Iowa's Total Offense is the WORST in the entire Conference at 320 yards per game (and way worse than PSU's Total Offense of 423 ypg)????
stressed-head.gif

You do know that the B1G Network only hires production people who hate PSU, don't you? Most are Michigan and Northwestern grads.

Analysts: Notre Dame, Ohio State and Illinois. Don't know where Dave Revsine went to school. That's about all you need to know to assess their analysis.

Homers will be sweet when PSU wins

S

Seriously, who gives a phuck. If you have played the game you would know the great pleasure of nullifying these long winded fairy tales.

Reactions: Grass and cow5217

Are you going to be okay?

Slightly OT, but I see the PSU/IU replays on BTN are schedule for 2:00AM, 3:00AM (yes, back to back) and 7:00AM tonight/tomorrow morning depending on your perspective. That's all I could find for PSU.

• Angry
Reactions: The Spin Meister

Bad enough that you watch that shit. That you take it seriously would ordinarily be beyond comprehension, but then I realize it's you.

Remember Bill Russell comment about the Celts beating a more talented 76r team. That's why we play the game.

Damn, I would have lost a bet:

On Monday's BWI message board ...

1) Will Bushie go ape$hit crazy about the officials in Saturday's 24-0 PSU win ... or ...
2) Will he go ape$hit crazy about knucklehead TV commentators dissing PSU?

I would have put my money on #1.

Reactions: bourbon n blues

1) Will Bushie go ape$hit crazy about the officials in Saturday's 24-0 PSU win ... or ...

I played the 100000-1 odds that he’d compliment the Big Ten officials on a well called game. Guess I’d have a better chance with just buying a Powerball ticket.

Reactions: A2Nit

I took the parley bet with both of the above!

• Haha
Reactions: BBrown and A2Nit
It doesn't take much to be a sport commentator. Read some stats and pretend to be knowledgeable. There certainly no Howard Cosell or Jimmy the Greek. I believe we will overcome the inherit obstacles at Iowa, our D will play lights out, and Yurcich will create a GEM of a game plan. We Are...

Not sure if you noticed that Michigan just beat the clear best 1-3 team in the country this year. May be the best 1-3 team in the history of college football.
Penn States’s strength of schedule, meh. Beat a bad 1-3 team and an Auburn team that almost lost to Ga St.

Reactions: Cosmos
Bad enough that you watch that shit. That you take it seriously would ordinarily be beyond comprehension, but then I realize it's you.
For those of us who have seen it, Bushwood is in what we call the manic phase. Bipolar is fascinating in a way.

• Haha
Reactions: PSU&Trout

You need to stop watching the B1G network, you’re going to have a stroke.

• Haha
Reactions: psu00 and acg116
Just watched the BTN feature. Actually don't think the OP exaggerates. The three hosts slobbered over the Hawkeyes.

Just watched the BTN feature. Actually don't think the OP exaggerates. The three hosts slobbered over the Hawkeyes.

Not only did they slobber over them, but they are critical of PSU's Offense in areas where Iowa's Offense is even worse than PSU's???? Not only that, but they essentially claim Iowa has a good, solid "balanced" Offense superior to PSU's which is utterly laughable considering that Iowa has the statistically 2nd worst running attack in the b1g (worse than PSU's!!!) and the absolute worst "Overall Offense" in the Conference only averaging 320 yards per game!!! (PSU is top-half in Overall Offense putting up 425 yards of Offense per game). Their analysis was laughably biased it was beyond ridiculous.

• Love
Reactions: Westcoast24
Not only did they slobber over them, but they are critical of PSU's Offense in areas where Iowa's Offense is even worse than PSU's???? Not only that, but they essentially claim Iowa has a good, solid "balanced" Offense superior to PSU's which is utterly laughable considering that Iowa has the statistically 2nd worst running attack in the b1g (worse than PSU's!!!) and the absolute worst "Overall Offense" in the Conference only averaging 320 yards per game!!! (PSU is top-half in Overall Offense putting up 425 yards of Offense per game). Their analysis was laughably biased it was beyond ridiculous.
Wouldn't disagree. Their take was stunningly positive about Iowa and lukewarm at best about PSU.

A big win over Iowa would be sweet.

Wouldn't disagree. Their take was stunningly positive about Iowa and lukewarm at best about PSU.

A big win over Iowa would be sweet.

You know that isn't happening if Iowa is the golden child this year.

Get ready for a game where we need to beat Iowa and the officials.

But Iowa will need to beat us with their running game. Our secondary is the best ever at PSU. The QB isn't going to beat us by himself. And I'm not sure Iowa's running game is that great

Yeah, let's see how Iowa does if they have a long field to go, instead of starting in great field position. Good for PSU to have a very good kicking game.

You know that isn't happening if Iowa is the golden child this year.

Get ready for a game where we need to beat Iowa and the officials.

But Iowa will need to beat us with their running game. Our secondary is the best ever at PSU. The QB isn't going to beat us by himself. And I'm not sure Iowa's running game is that great

Well, the b1g Officials come from this same pool of provincial "traditional b1g" assholes who've hated PSU from their first b1g game in 1993. But according to many of the loudmouth poser fans on this board, the b1g isn't biased in regards to PSU.... and even if they were it makes no difference.... [insert eyeroll].

What's the over/under on the number of drive killing holds they call on PSU?.... while calling zero on "hold every play" Iowa???

CJF is directly over the (BTN) target.

BTN is irrelevant when it comes to Penn State Football. I’ll watch Paul Finebaum before putting on BTN.

Did anyone watch Gerry at BTN setup CJF with the question as to whether James had ever been to another creamery? The question was a complete setup to embarrass James on the air.

There are many other examples we could document. BTN also monitors the boards of Big Ten schools to post outrageous retorts to legitimate facts.

if PS’s administration had any smarts they’d push back or get out of the league.

Does BTN bias matter? Not really.
Is it annoying? Yes.

We played Indiana exactly the same (both at home).
We both had solid wins against P5 top 25 programs. (Ours would have been more convincing if not for SEC refs.)
We also beat Wisconsin on the road in a tricky opener.

There is no reason to assume that Iowa is clearly a better team.

The only way their stupid bias matters AT ALL is if the court of public opinion affects us down the home stretch (because the BTN can influence media in the Big Ten regions...and we say how that screwed us in 1994.)

I honestly hope that Iowa reads all these clippings and comes in fat and lazy (and on a 1-game winning streak against us)...and doesn't bring their A game on Saturday. I could see us winning by double digits in that case.

Reactions: Cosmos and BBrown
Remember Bill Russell comment about the Celts beating a more talented 76r team. That's why we play the game.
A guy was telling me today that if you combined Iowa and PSU's best players into one team, they STILL could not beat Alabama or Georgia. Huh. That's what they told us about Miami with Vinny T.

Reactions: royboy
Does BTN bias matter? Not really.
Is it annoying? Yes.

We played Indiana exactly the same (both at home).
We both had solid wins against P5 top 25 programs. (Ours would have been more convincing if not for SEC refs.)
We also beat Wisconsin on the road in a tricky opener.

There is no reason to assume that Iowa is clearly a better team.

The only way their stupid bias matters AT ALL is if the court of public opinion affects us down the home stretch (because the BTN can influence media in the Big Ten regions...and we say how that screwed us in 1994.)

I honestly hope that Iowa reads all these clippings and comes in fat and lazy (and on a 1-game winning streak against us)...and doesn't bring their A game on Saturday. I could see us winning by double digits in that case.
TV shows and fan posts have 0 influence on what happens in the game. Lots of wasted angst here.

A guy was telling me today that if you combined Iowa and PSU's best players into one team, they STILL could not beat Alabama or Georgia. Huh. That's what they told us about Miami with Vinny T.
I am so tired of hearing about Georgia. They barely beat Clemson, which barely beat Georgia Tech (which lost to Pitt by 5 TDs) and lost to NC State. I'll give Bama the benefit of the doubt so far, though their Florida game was an unimpressive, official-aided win.

It is always better to be the underdog. Let them slobber it up, as all the talk overall gives our guys more motivation.

At the end of the show they pivoted and declared that OSU was once again the best team in the conference. They certainly may be, but lets play the games and find out any way.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT