ADVERTISEMENT

Anybody watching KC v TB?

CJFisJoePaII

Sep 6, 2019
If so, shouldn't a motion penalty have been called on Mahomes on that last TD? Once the motioning TE went under center and took the snap, that converts Mahomes to an RB, no? And Mahomes should have been required to be set for a full second prior to snap, no? (he wasn't set as he was pointing at Kelce as a decoy when the other motioning TE went under Center and dove in for TD.

As long as the TE who went under center was set 1 second prior, I don't think Mahomes movement matters. He's just in motion from the legality of the play standpoint.

As long as the TE who went under center was set 1 second prior, I don't think Mahomes movement matters. He's just in motion from the legality of the play standpoint.
I agree with your assessment. I just wonder why we do not see that play more often in the nfl and college.

If a running back were moving like that when the ball is snapped it would be a penalty, no??

I agree with your assessment. I just wonder why we do not see that play more often in the nfl and college.

Probably the amount of trust required to execute it without penalty.

If a running back were moving like that when the ball is snapped it would be a penalty, no??

As long as you are moving laterally and not towards the LoS, it's legal. Think about Jet Sweeps and orbit motions.

Probably the amount of trust required to execute it without penalty.

As long as you are moving laterally and not towards the LoS, it's legal. Think about Jet Sweeps and orbit motions.
Yeah. You’re right by the rule. I guess to me it’s different as he’s not in motion, he’s making a deceptive movement. To me it’s more akin to a linemen jumping. But that’s not the rule

Last edited:
So I just sent the video of this play to a guy who used to ref HS football & lower level college (but hasn’t for a few years) and he said he thinks it would be a penalty in HS and he’d wager it’s a penalty in college but he’s not sure about the NFL as he’s not totally familiar with their rule book

snap infraction
7.1.3 rule in federation youth and hs

Last edited:
So I just sent the video of this play to a guy who used to ref HS football & lower level college (but hasn’t for a few years) and he said he thinks it would be a penalty in HS and he’d wager it’s a penalty in college but he’s not sure about the NFL as he’s not totally familiar with their rule book
snap infraction
7.1.3 rule in federation youth and hs

to add to this

he has sent it out to some of other officials he knows that are still active and will let me know their feedback lol

Yeah. You’re right by the rule. I guess to me it’s different as he’s not in motion, he’s making a deceptive movement. To me it’s more akin to a linemen jumping. But that’s not the rule

Yea, that's why I made my OP. My understanding of the rule from when I played is that Mahomes becomes a RB once the motioning TE stops and goes under Center to take the snap (i.e., defacto becomes the QB). The QB is permitted slight motion as he calls out the play and snap in each direction, but the RB must set themselves for one full second (most backs either put their hands on their thighs or a hand in the dirt when they make themselves motionless and fully-set for one full count - i.e., one second). So, it's my understanding that Mahomes can do the things he was doing pre-snap as a QB taking a shotgun snap (i.e., QB does not have to be set), but once he's converted to a RB, he absolutely has to be set for one full second prior to snap as far as I remember.

once he's converted to a RB, he absolutely has to be set for one full second prior to snap as far as I remember.

As long as he doesn't turn up the field, his motion is legal. He doesn't have to be set. Think about RBs running laterally to set up swing passes pre snap.

The biggest factors were 1) TE getting set for a second and not snapping the ball instantly upon getting behind the C and 2) Mahomes not turning up field.

It's all about deception. It's meant to look like an audible. One minor mistake and it's a penalty.

As long as he doesn't turn up the field, his motion is legal. He doesn't have to be set. Think about RBs running laterally to set up swing passes pre snap.

The biggest factors were 1) TE getting set for a second and not snapping the ball instantly upon getting behind the C and 2) Mahomes not turning up field.

It's all about deception. It's meant to look like an audible. One minor mistake and it's a penalty.

I don't believe your correct. Yes, if an eligible receiver is already in motion prior to the snap, they can continue in motion. But Mahomes was not in motion at the time of the snap - he was converted to a RB that was not in motion when the motioning TE stopped and went under Center. Watch any HS or College Game if a set RB (not a motioning RB) comes out of his set position such that he is moving within one second of the snap, it's an Illegal Motion Penalty. Maybe the NFL Rule reads differently - I don't know, but what he did is a penalty at the college and HS level I believe.

100% correct

But Mahomes was not in motion at the time of the snap - he was converted to a RB that was not in motion when the motioning TE stopped and went under Center.

Mahomes turned his head and waved his hands while the TE was in motion. Notice he stood in that pose once the TE was under C.

This wasn't the view from the game, but this one was much more clear. I truly throughout Mahomes was moving to his left and he actually wasn't.

Mahomes turned his head and waved his hands while the TE was in motion. Notice he stood in that pose once the TE was under C.

This wasn't the view from the game, but this one was much more clear. I truly throughout Mahomes was moving to his left and he actually wasn't.

So they must have ruled that he remained motionless in that pose (i.e., pointing and looking to his left) for one full second prior to the snap I guess (he appeared to continue motioning with his arm, but maybe you're right - maybe it just seemed that way because they started focusing on TE moving under Center and we just didn't see him remain motionless in that pose.).

Reactions: lazydave841
So they must have ruled that he remained motionless in that pose (i.e., pointing and looking to his left) for one full second prior to the snap I guess (he appeared to continue motioning with his arm, but maybe you're right - maybe it just seemed that way because they started focusing on TE moving under Center and we just didn't see him remain motionless in that pose.).
His hands are moving while the ball is snapped. It’s clear to see in this video when they change to the side angle

His hands are moving while the ball is snapped. It’s clear to see in this video when they change to the side angle

Then I don't understand how it isn't a penalty - I just read the rule. I basically says any motioning player is permitted to stay in motion as long as they are moving "parallel to the LOS". However, any player not in motion, must stay set and motionless for one full second prior to the snap. It goes on to explain that any kind of jerk, or quick motion to fein the receiving of a snap, etc.... is "Illegal Motion" or "Illegal Formation which is automatically converted to Illegal Motion".

After watching the video you linked, I really don't get how his movement was not a penalty.

I don't believe your correct. Yes, if an eligible receiver is already in motion prior to the snap, they can continue in motion. But Mahomes was not in motion at the time of the snap - he was converted to a RB that was not in motion when the motioning TE stopped and went under Center. Watch any HS or College Game if a set RB (not a motioning RB) comes out of his set position such that he is moving within one second of the snap, it's an Illegal Motion Penalty. Maybe the NFL Rule reads differently - I don't know, but what he did is a penalty at the college and HS level I believe.
My understanding is that as long as he doesn’t turn up field. I’ve seen many times where the college QB starts walking toward his coaches like they are going to call TO and the offense snaps the ball.

As a RB, we were always taught that if you happen to leave early, take one step forward and then go left or right (assuming that you weren’t to receive the handoff on the play) and keep moving laterally or away from the line of scrimmage.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT