ADVERTISEMENT

Obli's Observations: crib notes

On the topic of penalties, what is the rule for WRs lining up offside? I noticed a couple of plays where it looked like an obvious penalty but neither was called. These two pics were from consecutive plays in the 4th quarter.

QuhmvLM.jpg

0VogqYc.jpg
should have been called on both. but those lines people werent going to call them on AU. They had 17 bad spots by at least 1/2 a yard by my count. Even the final punt by PSU that AU caught they put at the 25 instead of between the 23 and 24

Reactions: BBrown and Cosmos

Smith is quietly turning into a very good LB. His bad reads, dropped pick 6s, and penalties (he continues to clean up his bonehead plays, he just got screwed on that one) seem to overcast what he has been doing.

10 tackles. And he manned the middle alone quite a bit vs Auburn.

Great observations.

Targeting rule is one of the worst in the history of any sport.

Loved seeing the pure joy in Cliff’s victory lap…its scenes like this that may disappear in college sports with NIL and that is sad.
I agree that it isn't a perfect rule and that the application is uneven, but if the goal is to stop these types of hits the only answer is ejections. Some teams will lose guys that should not be thrown out but that is the cost of eliminating the hits. The NFL just gives a penalty and it really hasn't changed things much there.

The unnecessary roughness on Smith was a bad call - but I do give credit to the Auburn player because he sold it pretty perfectly in the scrum of the sideline. I don't think the ref had a clear view of the contact/flop.

I think part of the issue with the run game comes down to our opponents completely selling out on stopping the run. The defensive strategy continues to be "make Clifford beat you" which he was able to do against Auburn. If you watch the replay, Auburn LBers bit on the fake handoff every single time which opened up a bunch down the seem to the TEs. Yurcich leaned heavy on the play fake all game. So while we haven't necessarily killed it in the run game, its still setting up the play fake and some down the field opportunities.
It was borderline but its probably going to be called. Smith has to be smarter than that. There was no need to even touch him.

Anyone notice the formation in the 4th on Strange's long catch and run? He was lined up as a tackle and pretty much released without anyone really paying attention to him. Nice design.

Thread with film breakdown and discussion.

Agreed on this point and I haven't seen many mention it. That pass was an INT if Dotson doesn't make that incredible catch.
Yep, amazing how many times there would be an interception if the receiver doesn't catch the ball.

I think Holly’s Q and Franklin’s non-response was at the half.

I thought Smith might have been called for targeting on a sideline hit a play or two before his dropped interception.

Re: Smith’s sideline roughing, Da’ Bears had an identical sideline roughing call on the Bengals QB yesterday. Identical! Several steps after going out-of-bounds, minimal contact, QB taking a dive. QB’s side of the field, his home bench. You just can’t give officials any opportunity to make that call.

Clifford’s interception came with under 20 seconds left in the half and was effectively a punt. Not sure if we would have had a chance to add a FG or not if that doesn’t happen.

So Clifford’s only had four non-completions: a dropped bubble screen that was well covered early in the game, the interception and two bad misses on short wide open receivers as he rolled right, maybe his two easiest throws of the night.

Kudos to Clifford for a great evening, but also kudos to his receivers for making some great catches all night long. Dotson alone had at least three ESPN TOP TEN PLAY-worthycatches.
I love Smith, but he's this year's version of Cam Brown, as in that he's a targeting penalty just waiting to happen. There was another play that you couldn't see in the stadium, but I saw when I watched my DVR later. On the 3rd down pass to the TE on Auburn's next to last possession, Smith went in with a forearm shiver right to the Auburn TE's head. Fortunately he missed, if it had landed it very easily could and should have been called.

I love Smith, but he's this year's version of Cam Brown, as in that he's a targeting penalty just waiting to happen. There was another play that you couldn't see in the stadium, but I saw when I watched my DVR later. On the 3rd down pass to the TE on Auburn's next to last possession, Smith went in with a forearm shiver right to the Auburn TE's head. Fortunately he missed, if it had landed it very easily could and should have been called.
I noticed that too. Thank God he didn't connect.

This is essentially "close enough" and won't get called. Furthermore, receivers almost always "check with" the ref prior to the snap. They will basically ask "Am I on the LOS?" for two reasons:

1) To make sure if they are supposed to be on the line vs in the backfield that the ref agrees with where they have actually lined up.

2) If they are lined up offsides, the ref will usually give them a little "back up" and you see them reset.

It was 4th Q. Two consecutive plays. Given the trend in the officiating do you think they would extend our receivers that same courtesy.

SEC Shorts did a funny video on the officiating…said it was take your daughter to work day. I don’t know how to link it but it’s probably on YouTube.

• Haha
Reactions: The Spin Meister
An absolutely huge play in the game was 3rd and goal from about the 3-4 yard line early in the 4th QTR. PSU had gotten down to the 1 yard line first and goal. First and goal was a running play that was stuffed, second and goal was a another attempt by Warren out of the wildcat…looked like he was supposed to throw, that was taken away and he got gang tackled for a least a loss of 2, maybe 3. That set up the 3rd and goal…Auburn really sold out to stop the run on the previous 2 downs. Yurich signaled in an audible and PSU ran a nice play where the wide receivers ran the Auburn defenders out of the play and Rasheed Wallace crushed his guy and Cain took the handoff, made a nice cut back inside and scored easily . No doubt Auburn was expecting pass-great call and really nice cut back by Cain to get the TD. If PSU settles for a FG there, who knows what happens later.

I agree that it isn't a perfect rule and that the application is uneven, but if the goal is to stop these types of hits the only answer is ejections. Some teams will lose guys that should not be thrown out but that is the cost of eliminating the hits. The NFL just gives a penalty and it really hasn't changed things much there.
But have the number of targeting calls gone down since the rule was implemented? Anecdotally it feels like they are increasing, but I haven't seen the stats. If the ejections are working as a deterrent I'd think the numbers would indicate that since the rule has been in place for several seasons.

An absolutely huge play in the game was 3rd and goal from about the 3-4 yard line early in the 4th QTR. PSU had gotten down to the 1 yard line first and goal. First and goal was a running play that was stuffed, second and goal was a another attempt by Warren out of the wildcat…looked like he was supposed to throw, that was taken away and he got gang tackled for a least a loss of 2, maybe 3. That set up the 3rd and goal…Auburn really sold out to stop the run on the previous 2 downs. Yurich signaled in an audible and PSU ran a nice play where the wide receivers ran the Auburn defenders out of the play and Rasheed Wallace crushed his guy and Cain took the handoff, made a nice cut back inside and scored easily . No doubt Auburn was expecting pass-great call and really nice cut back by Cain to get the TD. If PSU settles for a FG there, who knows what happens later.
Scoring TDs instead of FG's was key to the entire game. We have seen a lot of big games over the years where scoring TDs in the red zone has been the difference between winning and losing. Getting those TDs against a stout Auburn defense was huge, and bodes well for the rest of the season.

Absolutely loved the look he gave her in response to that question, and she had the perfect response. "Well, that look says it all... back to you Chris." :D

Franklin also handled it well and humorously in the post-game presser. A reporter asked about seemingly losing a down and Franklin responded, "seemingly? Ask the question. I have to be diplomatic, but you don't." :D

Agreed on this point and I haven't seen many mention it. That pass was an INT if Dotson doesn't make that incredible catch.

Was Yurcich holding his cards with TE play through the first 2 games? There were a lot of comments here about how little the TEs were involved and they were unleashed against Auburn with fantastic results. Strange was wide open many times. The way Auburn kept losing him in coverage made me think they didn't spend much time game planning for TEs and that might be because Yurich didn't give them much TE tape in the first 2 games. Auburn may not have reviewed as much tape on the TEs from prior years because we had a different OC and it's possible we caught them by surprise.

In the first 2 games the TE’s didn’t seem to be getting separation from the defenders. IMHO that’s what led to low catch totals.

Extremely impressed with the job Luketa is doing at DE. He could be a high round pick if he comes back 2022. Think the scouts will need another year to evaluate him.

Pass blocking has gotten better. Run blocking has not improved in 5-6 years. Going into games like Iowa, Michigan, and OSU that’s gotta change. Very troubling sign.

Brisker looks like a 1st round draft pick. He’s playing lights out. All the secondary and LB’s look good in pass coverage. Not seeing the confusion that plagued us in the past.

Reactions: Obliviax
Sarcasm aside, the reason this example in particular was notable is because the ball was overthrown and it took a great effort from Dotson to reel it in. This wasn't a typical catch.
Maybe not typical, but not surprising for Dotson. Ask those Ohio State defenders.

There has to be a running game that can get late-game 1st downs and burn clock. The defense can't be on the field at the end of the game hoping for a hold because the offense went 3-and-out and couldn't get a 1st down on the last series. Certainly not at Iowa City, Columbus, East Lansing, and even College Park.
Well, I think in this case we will see a team that may actually throw for those first downs...and not kidding about this either. This OC, in my opinion, is the best in the nation.

I agree re: the play calling on downs 1-3. Other times, way too much of an adventure.

Spot on re: targeting. What we need is something like a "flagrant" variation. The absence of this kind of differentiation almost makes me wonder whether the rule is the way it is so as to "protect" refs from having to exercise their judgment to make ejection decisions (and be to blame for them). But the reality is they're making them already.
But the replay officials review all of these and make the final decision on ejection. The rules need to changed, especially the sitting the next half. Do that only on flagrant attempts to injure.

Reactions: Aardvark86
But the replay officials review all of these and make the final decision on ejection. The rules need to changed, especially the sitting the next half. Do that only on flagrant attempts to injure.
The current rule sweeps up a lot of very good players making very good plays at very high speed. Agree - sort out tbe flagrant (aka Burfect) from the unintentional (give them 15 yds).

Well, most QBs have a completion percentage of around 60%. Don’t know any with a interception rate near 40%. Or even 10%. Or even 5%. Hell 2% will get you benched.
Not directly related to your discussion, but great to see the start of the season that Clifford has put together.

He has a 71%+ completion percentage with only 1 Interception.

Here is the false start that was missed that I referred to

I was screaming about this at the game when it happened.

Also thought the grounding call was horrendous and was glad to see I was right when I saw the replay.

On the INT before the half, Dotson did a button hook on the left side of the field and his defender was giving him a 10 yard cushion. Hitting him would have put us in FG range, I think, but Cliff never looked that way. Oh well.

Reactions: Obliviax
Wasn't able to sit and focus on the game, but it seems he still has that tendency to throw an arm or shoulder, often late, rather than wrapping up. Besides the penalty/ejection risk, many runners and receivers are strong enough to bounce off. Obviously he did enough good. I'll be watching a little closer the rest of the way. Maybe whatever caused Brooks' positive trend affected him as well.

No, it was a pretty bad throw. Dotson made a spectacular catch.
It was probably the only bad throw Clifford made all night.
Plus, he didn't get "hands" on the ball, he got "hand". He one-handed it and it fell down into his body where he secured it. Easily the best reception of the year so far and may be the best in the last several years.

Reactions: Grass
One thing that concerns me - several times, PSU players came in hot, head down, arms back leading with the crown of their helmet. Fortunately, they didn't make contact on these plays but they were fractions of a second away from an ejection. Hopefully this is something the coaches can identify and correct.

The turnover was big but don't put too much emphasis on it. Smith should have had an INT and Cliffords was a mistake on his part. Should have thrown that ball away earlier. Without that interception, I think we score on that drive. Point being, random stuff happens in football games. You might get one turnover but just miss another one so in the end it all evens out.
The INT by SC was due to pressure. Had he thrown the ball toward the sideline #13 was wide open and could have tippy toed into the EZ.

ADVERTISEMENT