ADVERTISEMENT

Anybody else watching the Penn State - Oregon Rose Bowl game from back in the day now?

TheGLOV

Gold Member
Penn State never got the credit it should have received after beating a very good Oregon team.

Oregon, at the time, was looked upon as a fluke of a Rose Bowl opponent.

Actually, Oregon was just on the pinnacle of becoming a college football force to be reckoned with.

Reactions: jjw165
Penn State never got the credit it should have received after beating a very good Oregon team.

Actually, Oregon was just on the pinnacle of becoming a college football force to be reckoned with.
absolute disgrace that team didn't get even a split national championship (especially since there had been teams who split not long ago) after the season they had...the voters who let that happen should be totally embarrassed and should never been allowed to vote for anything going forward (in a fair and perfect world)

absolute disgrace that team didn't get even a split national championship (especially since there had been teams who split not long ago) after the season they had...the voters who let that happen should be totally embarrassed and should never been allowed to vote for anything going forward (in a fair and perfect world)
they said that they couldn't possibly split the national championship.....then turned around and split it in 97 for Michigan and Nebraska, effing jerks

Nixon declared Nebraska the National Champions the night before and all of the big ten sports writers wanted to put it to Penn State.

That was just the beginning.

Nixon declared Nebraska the National Champions the night before and all of the big ten sports writers wanted to put it to Penn State.

That was just the beginning.

HUH?

Nixon said that about Texas sir. Part of his great southern strategy for election. (1969?) 1968?

Are you the same person who said that the German's bombed Pearl harbor?

That 94 team had a great offense which would have destroyed nebraska.
The defense was better than people gave them credit for.That Indiana game was an excuse to give it to Osborne and his roid boys.Joe should have kept the pedal to the metal

Reactions: TheGLOV

They got plenty of credit just not credit for being better than Nebraska which I definitely believe they were.

The defense was better than people gave them credit for.That Indiana game was an excuse to give it to Osborne and his roid boys.Joe should have kept the pedal to the metal

Least we forget, on the very same day we destroyed Ohio St. 63 - 14, the voters of either the AP or UPI then voted Nebraska no.#1.

Reactions: bison13 and brupsu
The other game people forget about was when Colorado's Cordell Stewart completed a hail Mary to beat Michigan in a non conf game. Instead of PSU beating an undefeated Michigan it was Nebraska beating an undefeated Colorado near the end of the season. Regardless we were screwed because of the desire to give Osbourne his first Natty.

The other game people forget about was when Colorado's Cordell Stewart completed a hail Mary to beat Michigan in a non conf game. Instead of PSU beating an undefeated Michigan it was Nebraska beating an undefeated Colorado near the end of the season. Regardless we were screwed because of the desire to give Osbourne his first Natty.

Yep. That’s the game that will go down in history as the game that REALLY screwed us that year. Michigan wins that game, we win the National Championship.

Watched the end of that game in the HUB after walking back from our game. Saw Kordell complete that Hail Mary and everyone cheered.

I yelled out “YOU GUYS REALIZE WE JUST GOT SCREWED ” ????????????

Reactions: bourbon n blues
Yep. That’s the game that will go down in history as the game that REALLY screwed us that year. Michigan wins that game, we win the National Championship.

Watched the end of that game in the HUB after walking back from our game. Saw Kordell complete that Hail Mary and everyone cheered.

I yelled out “YOU GUYS REALIZE WE JUST GOT SCREWED ” ????????????
I felt the same way. That bugged me for years, but I got over yet. I remember my dad saying how all that stuff didn't matter, they won all their games.
I tried explaining thinking he didn't get it and he said why does the opinion of the polls means more than your opinion? I got it then. I realized much of the world was just hype and bullshit. PSU was the best that year in my poll, the only poll that didn't count.
This was one of the events that turned me off from sports. I realized the manipulation going on. Adding playoff off teams was another one. All hype to make money.

That’s not when they dropped from #1. They dropped when they beat OSU 63-14 and the pollsters dropped them because Nebraska won that same week. The 1994 team was one of the greatest teams in college history. They alternated two fullbacks that year and both of them and all 10 of the other players on the offense were drafted and/or played in the NFL. You are correct, they would have handled Nebraska that year. I call it the Osborne sympathy National Championship. The irony is Nebraska won it the next year when they were truly deserving.

Reactions: TheGLOV and brupsu
That’s not when they dropped from #1. They dropped when they beat OSU 63-14 and the pollsters dropped them because Nebraska won that same week. The 1994 team was one of the greatest teams in college history. They alternated two fullbacks that year and both of them and all 10 of the other players on the offense were drafted and/or played in the NFL. You are correct, they would have handled Nebraska that year. I call it the Osborne sympathy National Championship. The irony is Nebraska won it the next year when they were truly deserving.
They dropped when they beat OSU 63-14 and the pollsters dropped them because Nebraska won that same week. The 1994 team was one of the greatest teams in college history. They alternated two fullbacks that year and both of them and all 10 of the other players on the offense were drafted and/or played in the NFL

Correct!

Absolutley correct!!

Reactions: brupsu
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT