ADVERTISEMENT

College Football News Ranks The Bowl Games

Richie O

Staff
Mar 21, 2016
South Amboy, NJ
www.pennstate.rivals.com
They rank the Peach Bowl the third best bowl game.

How Good Is Your Bowl? The game might not be the best - one way or the other - but it should at least be relatively free of any excuses. It’s a much watch for the after-the-fact narrative. If you think Penn State was a whole lot better than it got credit for - hand raised - there’s no reason not to show it off here. It’s missing a few NFL-caliber guys, but not a lot. Ole Miss isn’t getting hit all that hard, either.

There would be several good matchups this year if it wasn't so "cool" to sit the bowl game out. I miss the days when kids actually enjoyed playing football, and the media wasn't urging them not to play in games.
Not so much the media, probably moreso agents and family members.

Reactions: brupsu
Not so much the media, probably moreso agents and family members.
I'm sure that's true too, but the modern sports media is awful about this. I was reading something today from a college football writer who was basically shaming Bo Nix for saying he was going to play in the Fiesta Bowl. Amazing how drastically this outlook has changed in recent years. It is not too long ago where a player opting out of a bowl game was unheard of, and would have been met with criticism by the sports media.

Yup, bowl games aren't what they used to be. Opt-outs are a huge factor and basically make a joke of some games.

This year, what would once have been high-profile contests are apparently going to be shell games of sorts: Georgia-Florida State and Ohio State-Louisville.

That's assuming the Noles even show up. It'd be great if they made a statement by refusing to play.

Yup, bowl games aren't what they used to be. Opt-outs are a huge factor and basically make a joke of some games.

This year, what would once have been high-profile contests are apparently going to be shell games of sorts: Georgia-Florida State and Ohio State-Louisville.

That's assuming the Noles even show up. It'd be great if they made a statement by refusing to play.
The 'noles are in a tough spot. They can refuse to show up but so what? the issue is rectified next year with the 12-team playoff. I mean, it is kind of like doing surgery after the patient has already been cured.

Reactions: Jerry

? Ohio State is playing Missouri

Refusing to play is such a cowardly move. Honestly if Georgia is even anywhere near close to full strength this is a blow out. Georgia may have a better argument than FSU to be in the playoffs. #1 team wire to wire, defending two time champ, with a close loss in their championship game. OSU is still loaded and will crush Louisville even with the opt outs. To me the motivation is the biggest factor. Watching USC lose to Tulane last year was so entertaining. USC didn’t have a lot of opt outs just we’re not motivated and paid the price for it. That’s on Lincoln Riley to get them ready. Believe it or not teams want to win bowl games and opt outs is an excuse.

Refusing to play is such a cowardly move. Honestly if Georgia is even anywhere near close to full strength this is a blow out. Georgia may have a better argument than FSU to be in the playoffs. #1 team wire to wire, defending two time champ, with a close loss in their championship game. OSU is still loaded and will crush Louisville even with the opt outs. To me the motivation is the biggest factor. Watching USC lose to Tulane last year was so entertaining. USC didn’t have a lot of opt outs just we’re not motivated and paid the price for it. That’s on Lincoln Riley to get them ready. Believe it or not teams want to win bowl games and opt outs is an excuse.

You're right on target about the motivation factor. It's the crucial difference in these non-playoff games. Some teams show up to play...and some don't.

Obli makes a fair point above, and in general, yes, I understand the case for Florida State to play the game. In the end, I'm pretty sure they will.

But Norvell is in a tough spot. How does he motivate his players in this scenario? Maybe reverse psychology: the chip-on-our-shoulder card.

Honestly, Georgia has every reason to be deflated too. I'm guessing a whole lot of top draftable talent will be opting out of this game.

All in all, I doubt this year's Orange Bowl will give paying customers their money's worth...

You're right on target about the motivation factor. It's the crucial difference in these non-playoff games. Some teams show up to play...and some don't.

Obli makes a fair point above, and in general, yes, I understand the case for Florida State to play the game. In the end, I'm pretty sure they will.

But Norvell is in a tough spot. How does he motivate his players in this scenario? Maybe reverse psychology: the chip-on-our-shoulder card.

Honestly, Georgia has every reason to be deflated too. I'm guessing a whole lot of top draftable talent will be opting out of this game.

All in all, I doubt this year's Orange Bowl will give paying customers their money's worth...
These bowl games are becoming like the Pro Bowl. The players receive lots of bling packages to show up, usually in a nice location, but the risks to the players for a meaningless game. Is it worth it?

Reactions: The Spin Meister

Players really need to find their own motivation for a bowl game. They all know what it means (and doesn't mean) so it's hard to blame the coach for that.

No bowl game is worth the money.

Players really need to find their own motivation for a bowl game. They all know what it means (and doesn't mean) so it's hard to blame the coach for that.

No bowl game is worth the money.
Biggest game of the year for Penn State. It's the game I most want them to win this year.

• Haha
Reactions: LandoComando
Biggest game of the year for Penn State. It's the game I most want them to win this year.
Our biggest games were Ohio State and Michigan then the 10 we already won
If you want them to win this more than Ohio State or Michigan...well if you do you may want to stop watching football

Someone tell these Army guys that LandoCommando declared this game meaningless, so stop celebrating!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT