ADVERTISEMENT

Any Coal Crackers still out there?

marshall23

May 23, 2013

I grew up outside of Shamokin, in a village called Overlook. My Mom was a Coal Township native and my Dad a Shamokin grad and owned a business in "Tharptown." I remember seeing the miners quitting work with their blackened faces and the huge culm bank at the Beaury Curve entering Shamokin. Independence Street was still the center of commerce. Baseball meant "bunker hill," and the best cheese steaks were Piccarelli's. Of course a Friday trip to town meant a few dogs from the Coney Island. Saturday's I often worked for my Dad and we lunched at the "Hudson Pool Room." If we saved our allowance we might visit the Hobby Shop or the "Fun Shop." Every coal town had at least one brewery and Shamokin had F&S. Football was pretty damn important and visiting a rival meant keeping your helmets on from the time the bus arrived in town, until you exited. You didn't go down town and laugh about it if you lost. Sometimes during Lent my Dad would take us to eat at "the Fish Market"......I hated it. He loved Oyster Stew....barf. Any other old time coal crackers?

You missed Tharpe's Ice Cream, and Mrs. Boughner's Candy Store out your bedroom window...
I remember Maurer's Dairy, Reed's (my uncle delivered milk) and Martz's. CMP's VMP's etc.
The first Tastee Freez was next door to my Dad's gas station.

Reactions: RT87
Mt Carmel. Memories as they relate to Shamokin ..... Remember the big 7/4 fireworks on the culm bank. Also Macs hoagies . Drinking at Conn’s at 17/18 years old, worked a few summers on the maintenance crew at Shamokin State Hospital . My uncle lived up on Polish Hill. Quite the ride in the snow . The Vic theatre . Cruising independence ave. Getting take outs from the bar with the lit sign we have ******s( sp?). Going out to the Strippings and having beer parties. Mallets sporting goods store was the bomb back in the day . Remember wearing my football helmet on the bus when playing Lourdes or Shamokin and getting pelted by rocks. Shen-do was worse . 7-8 yr olds used to say f u . Great times . Had a lot of fun in da region . Unfortunately just ain’t what it used to be .

Last edited:
I was born (1946) in Nanticoke and lived there through the second grade. My grandparents ran a tavern on Main St., next to the Armory (my mom and dad and I lived upstairs). I miss Stuccio's Pizza, Diamond's ice cream (on the square), and Stookey's Barbeque (which still exists across the river). We (wife and grown daughter) now live in Kansas. It just so happens that we made one last trip to Pennsylvania last October to attend Penn State's 100th homecoming. During that trip, we also visited Nanticoke (hadn't been there for 20+ years) and ate pork barbeque sandwiches at Stookey's. When I lived in Nanticoke, the population was 26,000, or thereabouts. Now, it's down to about 10,000. It was a sad experience to visit the familiar places, some of which no longer exist. I noticed, for instance, that our Catholic church, St. Francis, has been torn down. Wow. That is shocking to me.

Lived in Hazleton a couple of years, but it has been awhile. Lived fairly close to Treskow and McAdoo.

Lived in Hazleton a couple of years, but it has been awhile. Lived fairly close to Treskow and McAdoo.
Not born, but raised in Hazleton (actually went to West Hazleton HS, a very important distinction back then...…..) Left for UPark at the end of summer after high school. Return occasionally to see my only sibling who still lives there - sister up in Mountaintop.

I grew up outside of Shamokin, in a village called Overlook. My Mom was a Coal Township native and my Dad a Shamokin grad and owned a business in "Tharptown." I remember seeing the miners quitting work with their blackened faces and the huge culm bank at the Beaury Curve entering Shamokin. Independence Street was still the center of commerce. Baseball meant "bunker hill," and the best cheese steaks were Piccarelli's. Of course a Friday trip to town meant a few dogs from the Coney Island. Saturday's I often worked for my Dad and we lunched at the "Hudson Pool Room." If we saved our allowance we might visit the Hobby Shop or the "Fun Shop." Every coal town had at least one brewery and Shamokin had F&S. Football was pretty damn important and visiting a rival meant keeping your helmets on from the time the bus arrived in town, until you exited. You didn't go down town and laugh about it if you lost. Sometimes during Lent my Dad would take us to eat at "the Fish Market"......I hated it. He loved Oyster Stew....barf. Any other old time coal crackers?
IS IT GOING TO RAIN TOMORROW????
HUH? BAIR- IS IT GOING TO RAIN TOMORROW??
BAIR BACK TO COACH, 'HUH'
YOU PLAYED THE WHOLE GAME ON YOUR ASS LOOKING UP, SO I FIGURED YOU COULD SEE IF THERE WAS A RING AROUND THE MOON!!!!
Coach Fat Jack to Rich Bair , OT when Schuylkill Haven HS scrimmaged Shamokin Loudes, 1969 (1968?)
so I dont know it that makes me an old timer or not, and Schuylkill Haven is south of the mountain, so I dont know if that makes me a coal cracker or not.
but I chewed alot of the same ground.

Born and raised in North End, Wilkes-Barre. I think it was the late summer, fall of 68 or 69, when they were filming the Molly Maguires in Eckley near Hazleton. I remember coming home from school around 3:30-4:00, I would see a yellow and white helicopter flying over the East End of the city and was told that it was the transportation to and from hotel to filming locations. I was a big James Bond fan (still am actually) and the thought that Sean Connery himself was flying over my house thrilled me to no end.

IS IT GOING TO RAIN TOMORROW????
HUH? BAIR- IS IT GOING TO RAIN TOMORROW??
BAIR BACK TO COACH, 'HUH'
YOU PLAYED THE WHOLE GAME ON YOUR ASS LOOKING UP, SO I FIGURED YOU COULD SEE IF THERE WAS A RING AROUND THE MOON!!!!
Coach Fat Jack to Rich Bair , OT when Schuylkill Haven HS scrimmaged Shamokin Loudes, 1969 (1968?)
so I dont know it that makes me an old timer or not, and Schuylkill Haven is south of the mountain, so I dont know if that makes me a coal cracker or not.
but I chewed alot of the same ground.
Never played against Schulykill Haven but did play Lourde twice. My senior year 67 was at the old Coal Township Stadium.
My freshman year we played Frackville. I'd say that's coal cracker territory.

Reactions: colt21 and sluggo72
Mt Carmel. Remember the big 7/4 fireworks on the culm bank. Also Macs hoagies . Drinking at Conn’s at 17/18 years old, worked a few summers on the maintenance crew at Shamokin State Hospital . My uncle lived up on Polish Hill. Quite the ride in the snow . The Vic theatre . Cruising independence ave. Getting take outs from the bar with the lit sign we have ******s( sp?). Going out to the Strippings and having beer parties. Mallets sporting goods store was the bomb back in the day . Remember wearing my football helmet on the bus when playing Lourdes or Shamokin and getting pelted by rocks. Shen-do was worse . 7-8 yr olds used to say f u . Great times . Had a lot of fun in da region . Unfortunately just ain’t what it used to be .
Used to deal with Hoople Markowski at Mallets. Had a few at Conns Gardens and Sanders Hotel. Cruising Independence Street was big....LOL I could be wrong....maybe Markowsi was at the Shamokin Sports Supply.

Last edited:
Reactions: colt21
I was born (1946) in Nanticoke and lived there through the second grade. My grandparents ran a tavern on Main St., next to the Armory (my mom and dad and I lived upstairs). I miss Stuccio's Pizza, Diamond's ice cream (on the square), and Stookey's Barbeque (which still exists across the river). We (wife and grown daughter) now live in Kansas. It just so happens that we made one last trip to Pennsylvania last October to attend Penn State's 100th homecoming. During that trip, we also visited Nanticoke (hadn't been there for 20+ years) and ate pork barbeque sandwiches at Stookey's. When I lived in Nanticoke, the population was 26,000, or thereabouts. Now, it's down to about 10,000. It was a sad experience to visit the familiar places, some of which no longer exist. I noticed, for instance, that our Catholic church, St. Francis, has been torn down. Wow. That is shocking to me.
Ironic that my entire teaching/coaching career was in NY....but the man who hired me, mentored me and became the godfather of my oldest son was from Nanicoke, Jake O'Donnell. A great man. My best friend in my early coaching years was also a Nanticoke native, Joe Ciampi. Joe went on to coach women's basketball at Army and Auburn and is in the basketball hall of fame.

Not from Nanticoke myself, but I had a lot of family there. You would have been in the rough age group, or maybe a year or two younger, than my cousin Bob Welch, and his buddies the Cavalini brothers and Bill Merriman. My grandfather had a scrap processing yard on Lower Broadway that got clobbered by Agnes in '72.

Hazleton, actually West Hazleton HS, raised patch town , playground were railroad tracks, culm banks, woods and unorganized baseball, football and basketball games pick sides etc. Wouldn't want it any other way, taught me life's lessons quicker.

It's unbelievable the stuff Central Pa'ers in the ol days did for their family.

As the great Dabo Swinny once said, all glory be to God.

I am from a different area of the coal region. Archbald. My father and grand-father were coal miners.
I played football against Blakely, one of the area powers, who defeated teams in the Hazelton area during the limited playoffs they had in the 60's.. .

Born and raised in Frackville. Still live in our family homestead. My Dad was a miner, mostly worked bootlegg mines. His last mining job, was at Glenn Burne near Shamokin. Used to have a nice, vibrant main street, till the mall came ruined downtown and now the mall is gone.
Can relate to the school rivalries. When the local s hools played each other, it was a war, on and off the field.
Dannys, Rickards Dairy, Mattucci's and Heislers are names Schuylkill coal crackers will recognize.

Born and raised in Frackville. Still live in our family homestead. My Dad was a miner, mostly worked bootlegg mines. His last mining job, was at Glenn Burne near Shamokin. Used to have a nice, vibrant main street, till the mall came ruined downtown and now the mall is gone.
Can relate to the school rivalries. When the local s hools played each other, it was a war, on and off the field.
Dannys, Rickards Dairy, Mattucci's and Heislers are names Schuylkill coal crackers will recognize.
1-2-3-4-5-6-7- all good Hurricanes go to Heaven
when they get there, they will say
Frackville, Frackville where are they?
down in the boom boom, boom

1-2-3-4-5-6-7- all good Hurricanes go to Heaven
when they get there, they will say
Frackville, Frackville where are they?
down in the boom boom, boom
Nick Matucci, I assume runs the family restaurant now....was a team mate of mine at Southern.

Hello, fellow Coal Crackers from the Region, that is, the Coal Region. Home of Anthracite Coal and John O'Hara. Originally from New Philadelphia via Middleport and Valley Furnace. Played football at Nativity in the 60s. Favorite places over the years ranged from Heisler's Dairy Bar, Tally's in Pottsville, dances at the "Y" and later Willow Lake, Club 18, anyone of the 15 bars in New Philly, The Ski Lodge, Dusslefink, The Alley, and a host of Fire Companies. Favorite places to eat in no particular order: Coney Island on Centre Street Pottsville, Longo's, Wedgewood, Willow Street Cafe (Matucci's) in Mount Carmel. Besides Matucci's, my, our, favorite place was the Inn 83. And the original fast food place - Wixson's on RT 61 south of Pottsville. Remember 15 cent hamburgers. We would buy 7 for a $1.00 and fight over the last one.

I recall Abe's hot dogs in Wilkes-Barre very well. Nedoff's was a favorite of the Syrian and Lebanese crowd, of which there were many.

For some reason I recall the Chinese restaurant at the airport in Avoca was a draw for anyone in the area, although I don't remember anything particularly good on the menu.

Hello, fellow Coal Crackers from the Region, that is, the Coal Region. Home of Anthracite Coal and John O'Hara. Originally from New Philadelphia via Middleport and Valley Furnace. Played football at Nativity in the 60s. Favorite places over the years ranged from Heisler's Dairy Bar, Tally's in Pottsville, dances at the "Y" and later Willow Lake, Club 18, anyone of the 15 bars in New Philly, The Ski Lodge, Dusslefink, The Alley, and a host of Fire Companies. Favorite places to eat in no particular order: Coney Island on Centre Street Pottsville, Longo's, Wedgewood, Willow Street Cafe (Matucci's) in Mount Carmel. Besides Matucci's, my, our, favorite place was the Inn 83. And the original fast food place - Wixson's on RT 61 south of Pottsville. Remember 15 cent hamburgers. We would buy 7 for a $1.00 and fight over the last one.
For better or worse I’ve been to most of those places. I wasn’t allowed to go to the dances at willow lake though, too honky tonk according to my mom

Grew up in the northern coal fields, Olyphant and Scranton. Still have family that live there.

I remember Maurer's Dairy, Reed's (my uncle delivered milk) and Martz's. CMP's VMP's etc.
The first Tastee Freez was next door to my Dad's gas station.

maurers is still there and the owner is making free food for folks

he also just broke out a smoker in the lot next door right before this all broke

Reactions: marshall23
Mount Carmel and still here - two blocks from where I grew up - one block from where my wife grew up

map many memories

Eddies Cafe (my Grandfathers bar) and his Boilo at the holidays.

riding the train from the east end to the baseball field

parties “up da bush”

Staying out all day until the fire whistle (9:00) then just coming back to the street corner and playing for another hour

As a kid getting a shower after playing hard all day and coming out on the front porch on a warm summer evening and listening to Harry Kalas on the radio

A lot of folks talked about keeping helmets on when coming back from football games thru neighboring towns and being pelted with rocks - my senior year coming thru Ashland we did it one better - a full bottle of beer cane flying thru the bus window, and then our bus driver literally made a sharp left turn and the another left down the alley adjacent to market street trying to find the culprits

penny candy and the comer mom and pops- there were two of them on my block and four within two blocks in either direction

could go on and on - ahh the memories

me and my wife always says that kids these days, even our own, will never have as much fun as we had growing up in the coal region !

Reactions: Mudge1026
Hazleton. Played baseball and football on the street. Hoops at Harman playground. Lots of great pitza (not pizza) and great friends. Most have left the area. Lived in trendy suburban Connecticut for 30 years. I took my son back to ride around Hazleton and he was shocked.

Had a father-in-law from Mahanoy Plane. Anyone heard of it? It's not on any maps, only was there a couple of times about forty years ago. Just east of Gilberton (?) and Frackville. The family had the only bar in town, Jerry's Tavern.

Hazleton. Played baseball and football on the street. Hoops at Harman playground. Lots of great pitza (not pizza) and great friends. Most have left the area. Lived in trendy suburban Connecticut for 30 years. I took my son back to ride around Hazleton and he was shocked.
It's Pitz and Hoagies;)

Also born and raised in Nanticoke, but 5 years your senior. I do remember your tavern next to the Armory with a big parking lot beside it. There was a small candy store a few doors away. You were near the foot of State Street. Think we spoke before...was your name Rick? We too attended St. Francis of Assisi.

Last edited:
Also born and raised in Nanticoke, but 5 years your senior. I do remember your tavern next to the Armory with a big parking lot beside it. There was a small candy store a few doors away. You were near the foot of State Street. Think we spoke before...was your name Rick? We too attended St. Francis of Assisi.

Not from the Coal region, but old enough to remember Nanticoke basketball. The most loyal and fanatical fanbase I've seen.

Here is a piece concerning their 1961 championship season.

Now, a group of young men were about to embark on a journey not seen in the area for more than 30 years and would result in a state basketball championship that galvanized the area and stamped Nanticoke as a city of champions.

Nanticoke High School captured state basketball championships in 1923 and 1926 and Newport Township/Wanamie did the trick in 1936. But, those days may well have been in a different century....

The Rams' championship in 1961 was the culmination of a three-year run under the legendary Syl "Stretch" Bozinski.

In a way to challenge his team, which already was playing "up" in the A classifications, Bozinski entered the Rams in the tough Johnstown Holiday Tournament where they would face bigger schools. The Rams lost to Sharon, 55-38, in the opener, but rebounded for a 69-57 win over a strong Chester squad, 69-57 to claim third place. In that game Legins scored 25 points and hauled down 23 rebounds. James and Joe Shepela each added 12.

"There was no stopping us then," James aid. "We just knew we were not going to lose."

The Rams proceeded to win 20-straight games, including a tough 51-47 win over Reading in the Eastern final. It all culminated with a 56-46 victory over Hickory Township in the Class A championship game at the Farm Show Arena in Harrisburg.

"Stretch had us ready for anything," James said. "Every day we practiced 20 minutes on pressing and against Reading we needed it. That's how prepared he had us."

More than 8,000 fans from Nanticoke made the trip to Harrisburg for the final and it was televised locally and fans took to the streets in Nanticoke, honking their horns in celebration.

The following day, a crowd estimated at 20,000 turned out for a rally at what is now Patriot Square in Nanticoke.

"On our way back to Nanticoke, our bus was greeted by fans in a lot of the smaller towns," James said.

A big win for the Wyoming Valley and a bigger win for Nanticoke.

https://www.citizensvoice.com/sports/nanticoke-basketball-1961-1.1422567

maurers is still there and the owner is making free food for folks

he also just broke out a smoker in the lot next door right before this all broke
One location used to be in Tharptown, just down the street from my Dad's gas station (650 Center Street). Jim Maurer was my next door neighbor.

Reactions: colt21
Mount Carmel and still here - two blocks from where I grew up - one block from where my wife grew up

map many memories

Eddies Cafe (my Grandfathers bar) and his Boilo at the holidays.

riding the train from the east end to the baseball field

parties “up da bush”

Staying out all day until the fire whistle (9:00) then just coming back to the street corner and playing for another hour

As a kid getting a shower after playing hard all day and coming out on the front porch on a warm summer evening and listening to Harry Kalas on the radio

A lot of folks talked about keeping helmets on when coming back from football games thru neighboring towns and being pelted with rocks - my senior year coming thru Ashland we did it one better - a full bottle of beer cane flying thru the bus window, and then our bus driver literally made a sharp left turn and the another left down the alley adjacent to market street trying to find the culprits

penny candy and the comer mom and pops- there were two of them on my block and four within two blocks in either direction

could go on and on - ahh the memories

me and my wife always says that kids these days, even our own, will never have as much fun as we had growing up in the coal region !
Just a reminder, if you ever get to Matucci's tell Nick, Dennis Burkett sends his regards. When we played football we used to pick him up in Bear Gap on the way to Southern. He didn't make our football reunion, because he couldn't leave the business.
Jeff Greco married a classmate and my wife Sandy's best friend. Sandy was in their wedding and Marty was in ours. I know unfortunately their marriage hit the rocks. Have not seen either one of them in 40 years.

Not born, but raised in Hazleton (actually went to West Hazleton HS, a very important distinction back then...…..) Left for UPark at the end of summer after high school. Return occasionally to see my only sibling who still lives there - sister up in Mountaintop.
Played football(at Mansfield U) and was a fraternity brother of John Osuch from Hazelton.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT