ADVERTISEMENT

[Another] Piazza Suit

That is what TRIALS are for---to take that "gray" and shine a light on it so we can see it well enough to judge it more clearly. By opposing the Piazza's action, you oppose shining that light. I think the trial itself will be revealing. Could be a surprise for anyone who has a fixed opinion going in. I'm not afraid of that. Are you?
And you just held a trial and shined the light where you saw fit! LOL! Stop digging Dem!

And you just held a trial and shined the light where you saw fit! LOL! Stop digging Dem!
Nope, I would be happy to see those kids win a trial, if they did nothing wrong. What you dont get to do is give it a skip. The kid is dead.

serious.gif

Reactions: Eaglesmere
Do you think CovCath grads join frats at the same rate, or a higher rate than the general college student public. I am pretty sure it is a higher rate.
This seems like a pretty broad generalization that I expect from media types on both sides - So now I guess all other stereotypes are OK. And beside what the hell does Covington have to do with this case - today it’s not TDS it’s political insanity in general that has warped peoples thinking. It was nice when you could discuss things years are and both sides actually used their brains.

They let him die. That's gonna cause you some problems.
Are you ever actually right about the legal conclusions you draw from any fact pattern? You have to absolutely suck as a lawyer. But Maybe that’s not a handicap in WVa.

Reactions: Eaglesmere
http://www.philly.com/education/pia...heir-son-settle-with-university-20190201.html

My opinion? This is over the top. They are essentially suing themselves as well because their son was a willing and voluntary participant.
This is just a way of making sure none of these kids can ever get past this. They might have some homeowners insurance, but otherwise won’t have the means to defend themselves against these claims unless their parents pay. If the Piazzas and their cheesy lawyer end up with some sort of judgment, whether by default or otherwise, they are going to file it and garnish the kids earnings for years. They’re trying to make sure that these kids can’t ever have the life that they wanted for their son.

As far as I’m concerned, they’re absolutely despicable.

Do you think CovCath grads join frats at the same rate, or a higher rate than the general college student public. I am pretty sure it is a higher rate.

You are reaching and don’t have a clue. Your guess is a guess and not fact. Do you think these Covington kids go to church more or less than the general college student population?

Reactions: First Last
You are reaching and don’t have a clue. Your guess is a guess and not fact. Do you think these Covington kids go to church more or less than the general college student population?
Probably more. Really, it is not so tough.

Reactions: step.eng69
Um, I think a kid whose parents pay 10k a year for a private hs has some privilege.
How does parents paying for a private school result in "privilege"? Parents pay for public schools too, often through taxes. Some kids get to go to school even if their parents don't pay their equal share of school costs. Why isn't that "privilege" as well?

Last edited:
I'm sorry that Tim Piazza died. But why is it that everyone other than Tim seems to be accountable for his death? Was Tim forced to drink? Was Tim forced to fall down the stairs?

Reactions: ThePennsyOracle
I'm sorry that Tim Piazza died. But why is it that everyone other than Tim seems to be accountable for his death? Was Tim forced to drink? Was Tim forced to fall down the stairs?
The defendants will have every right, at trial, to show it was as much his fault as anyone's. What are you so afraid of?

Could it be that the frat, through its leaders, systematically and intentionally violated the rules they had agreed to obey? Rules they were undeniably aware of?

I think it could, and so do you. You're afraid of it and I'm not.

The defendants will have every right, at trial, to show it was as much his fault as anyone's. What are you so afraid of?

Could it be that the frat, through its leaders, systematically and intentionally violated the rules they had agreed to obey? Rules they were undeniably aware of?

I think you’re afraid to admit Tim messed up every bit as much as the frat boys. And that you’re a pissant ambulance chaser from West Virginia. Nevertheless, I hope your Joebot crusade continues—let us know when the report is done.

Should the Piazza’s stand trial for their role in this tragedy? What if they were to be found guilty of negligence?

Should the Piazza’s stand trial for their role in this tragedy? What if they were to be found guilty of negligence?
If the plaintiff is as much at fault as the defendant for his injuries, the plaintiff loses. You really were not aware of this? Ok, yeah, that is the rule.

Both the Covington kids and the frat boys showed some evidence of a privileged view of their circumstances.

The CovCath kids will be in frats. LOTS of private school kids join frats.
You ever been to Covington? Not a fancy place at all (except for that really wierd apt building). Better than it was in the 80s though (we'd park in Covington for free to walk over to Reds games--but only on certain streets). Had a lot of the riverboat town about it and not in a good way.

I'm tracking, but in a civil suit, isn't the threshold for guilt much lower than in criminal court? It's preponderance of the evidence, right? I mean, that's what bankrupted OJ. And are they going after each member individually, or collectively (or is that not possible)? Seems like it won't take much to convince a jury that the frat members are just slightly more responsible for Tim's death than he was. I can't imagine their pain, but I would think dredging up these memories in court for months or years to come is a juice not worth the squeeze - their son is not coming back, no matter how many people they bankrupt.

CNN now has the story on its web site. There are currently no crippled cruise ships with plumbing problems, so they brought Ganim back to "contribute" to the story. However, the ace reporter wasn't trusted with the main byline.

CNN's Sara Ganim and Darran Simon contributed to this report.

Reactions: Ski
First, I’m told the Piazza’s settlers with the national fraternity for $5 million. I’m also told they settled with the local fraternity. However I am not aware of the $settlement.

Second, Penn State settles with the Piazza’s on January 25th. They prepared a statement at the same time. However, that statement was held until the Piazza’s announced the suit against the 28 former members of the fraternity. I’m told the PSU settlement was on the order of $20 million!

As for the case, I sat through almost every hearing in the matter. No question in my mind that the decedent contributed to his own death by what I would describe as negligent behavior. If this case goes to trial expect the defense to paint a very different picture of the decedent.

By the way, I’m told that the former DA was aware of video evidence contained on a cell phone of one of the fraternity brothers that shows Tim Bream participating in at least one other event at the house. If this is true then he could have his own legal troubles.

I can’t imagine the devastation the Piazza’s feel over the loss of their son. However, I do think they are in denial.

I'm tracking, but in a civil suit, isn't the threshold for guilt much lower than in criminal court? It's preponderance of the evidence, right? I mean, that's what bankrupted OJ. And are they going after each member individually, or collectively (or is that not possible)? Seems like it won't take much to convince a jury that the frat members are just slightly more responsible for Tim's death than he was. I can't imagine their pain, but I would think dredging up these memories in court for months or years to come is a juice not worth the squeeze - their son is not coming back, no matter how many people they bankrupt.
Not a lawyer and I didn’t sleep in a Holiday Inn express.

There is a lower threshold. Also, the article mentions that 23 frat members plead guilty to several charges such as hazing and furnishing alcohol to minors. Given the pleas, I don’t see how they can defend against the wrongful death lawsuit.

I guess the defendants can attempt to settle without going to trial but it seems like the parent’s lawyer wants to ruin the lives of the defendants so the price will be high.

I do sympathize with the parents. Just a terrible situation, their son is dead and 28 others will suffer the consequences for their entire lives. PSU should cut the frats loose, too.

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
Not a lawyer and I didn’t sleep in a Holiday Inn express.

There is a lower threshold. Also, the article mentions that 23 frat members plead guilty to several charges such as hazing and furnishing alcohol to minors. Given the pleas, I don’t see how they can defend against the wrongful death lawsuit.

I guess the defendants can attempt to settle without going to trial but it seems like the parent’s lawyer wants to ruin the lives of the defendants so the price will be high.

I do sympathize with the parents. Just a terrible situation, their son is dead and 28 others will suffer the consequences for their entire lives. PSU should cut the frats loose, too.

Okay, that was what I thought as well. Guess we'll see.

The REMOVAL of the money from the families of the defendant also plays a salutary role.

This might be the worst and most hypocritical reason for the Piazzas trying to get these other settlements, if it played any role in their bring the cases. If so, they in effect want to punish the parents for, I guess, not raising their boys very well, yet accept no responsibility for how they raised their son.

Reactions: Agoodnap
If anyone here thinks for a minute that these boys thought Tim was more than just drunk and would sleep it off on the couch..you are crazy. If they thought he was in trouble they would have gotten him help, period. No one forced him to drink and I'm sure no one thought he was in trouble. It was a tragic accident. He fell down basement stairs a second time at 7am when no one was around. Most of us have been in these situations and we just got lucky that no one ended up dead. It's amazing it doesn't happen more. There were 100 kids at this party including many girls. Why aren't every one of them sued if you want to hold everyone responsible demlion? They all knew there was more than one person on a couch. I'm pretty sure this same thing was happening at very other frat at penn state that weekend. If these boys were truly responsible then why didn't the major criminal charges stick? No they were thrown out 4 times! Exchanging a drink with someone is technically hazing because you are endangering that person. I think all of us were guilty of that before age 21, which all of these kids were, but most of us got lucky.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT