ADVERTISEMENT

[Another] Piazza Suit

If the plaintiff is as much at fault as the defendant for his injuries, the plaintiff loses. You really were not aware of this? Ok, yeah, that is the rule.
Actually, that's not the rule. Pennsylvania is a modified comparative negligence state. If the jury finds fault at 50-50, plaintiff can recover. The jury must find Piazza 51% or more responsible for his own death for his parents to lose. 42 Pa. Cons. Stat. §7102.

I'm tracking, but in a civil suit, isn't the threshold for guilt much lower than in criminal court? It's preponderance of the evidence, right? I mean, that's what bankrupted OJ. And are they going after each member individually, or collectively (or is that not possible)? Seems like it won't take much to convince a jury that the frat members are just slightly more responsible for Tim's death than he was. I can't imagine their pain, but I would think dredging up these memories in court for months or years to come is a juice not worth the squeeze - their son is not coming back, no matter how many people they bankrupt.
It is a preponderance in a civil suit. More likely than not. Some of these students already pled guilty, but not to causing his death. They pled to crimes like furnishing, or hazing. The civil defense will likely hinge on whether their criminal acts caused Tim's death, or caused him injury. That is an open question.

I am now wondering whether the $8 million PSU is preparing to WASTE on the frat study is just an attempt to mollify the Piazzas or part of the settlement agreement.

It is clear that no matter how much of their students' money PSU throws at this, Tim isn't coming back. Also clear that no matter how much money it costs PSU, and no matter how many students die, PSU wont cut the ties with the frats.

I will agree with one thing the critics are saying: so long as PSU continues paying out money, nothing will change. Because of that, blaming the victim's family will no more fix this than blaming the JS victims did.

If PSU wont cut the ties, then PSU will pay.

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
Bystander effect. It’s what happens in these situations. How many have walked or driven by the homeless person begging for change, or stopped on the highway to aid a broken down car or car with a flat? An extreme and deadly example is Nazi Germany & putting fellow humans into gas chambers. It’s a social psychology phenomenon and it is to be expected when groups of humans get together. In the tragic Piazza case, add alcohol and that lowers the probability of someone helping sooner vs later. No easy solutions in a case like this.

https://www.verywellmind.com/what-is-diffusion-of-responsibility-2795095

Reactions: demlion
You’re “now wondering” that?

Welcome to the party. About a decade late.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...s-to-fraternity-rules/?utm_term=.72de84f70bca

Buying their self-importance..... Buying their own hard-on..... Buying their delusional righteousness..... with OtherPeoplesMoney,(our money) is what they do.

As fundamentally as other people breath in and out every day.
So, was it part of the settlement agreement? For about 9 years and 50 weeks, I couldn't wonder about this question, because no one had announced they were doing an 8 million dollar frat study until a couple weeks ago. It's a shame you did not tell us about this ten years ago.

I'll be sure to write without using "or" statements in the future.

Last edited:
Both the Covington kids and the frat boys showed some evidence of a privileged view of their circumstances.

The CovCath kids will be in frats. LOTS of private school kids join frats.

LOTS of public school kids join frats.

Bystander effect. It’s what happens in these situations. How many have walked or driven by the homeless person begging for change, or stopped on the highway to aid a broken down car or car with a flat? An extreme and deadly example is Nazi Germany & putting fellow humans into gas chambers. It’s a social psychology phenomenon and it is to be expected when groups of humans get together. In the tragic Piazza case, add alcohol and that lowers the probability of someone helping sooner vs later. No easy solutions in a case like this.

https://www.verywellmind.com/what-is-diffusion-of-responsibility-2795095

Bingo. Gets worse with alcohol, as you say.

Gets even worse when alcohol is prohibited, you do it anyway, and one of those you served gets injured. If bystanders are loath to act, then drunk bystanders are less likely to act, and lawbreaking drunk bystanders the least likely of all. Sure would like to know the contents and participants of all those phone calls they made while his life was seeping away on that couch.

This might be the worst and most hypocritical reason for the Piazzas trying to get these other settlements, if it played any role in their bring the cases. If so, they in effect want to punish the parents for, I guess, not raising their boys very well, yet accept no responsibility for how they raised their son.
So this deep concern we see that the Piazzas are at fault because their kid voluntarily joined in is a one way street, eh? Not true for those who let him die?

Tim Piazza was a drug addict. He actively was seeking cocaine and told his brother he had a problem with it. His prescribed medication specifically had a warning label not to drink alcohol while taking it, as there is a risk of falling down stairs. Tim told his brother his side (spleen) hurt days before his 9 minute drinking gauntlet. Why do his parents never bring any of this up? They always say “he wasn’t like any of the other men in the frat, he was different.” He might have been worse.

Tim Piazza was a drug addict. He actively was seeking cocaine and told his brother he had a problem with it. His prescribed medication specifically had a warning label not to drink alcohol while taking it, as there is a risk of falling down stairs. Tim told his brother his side (spleen) hurt days before his 9 minute drinking gauntlet. Why do his parents never bring any of this up? They always say “he wasn’t like any of the other men in the frat, he was different.” He might have been worse.
All fodder for proving their case at trial. With powerful evidence like that, what are you afraid of?

No, it's because the guy with the drum couldn't hire a PR firm within 24 hours to spin his story so fools would believe him.
The guy with the drum has a name, Nathan Phillips, and he didn’t need a PR firm he had the media.

Reactions: Ski
Penn state should have settled for everyone when they paid $20m, which is plenty of money. Now, they’re going to get sucked back into the Piazzas continuing vendetta against the “frat boys” who failed to save their son from himself.

Stereotyping is wrong..... except when demlion and his ilk do it

All animals are equal.....but some are more equal than others
Watch. I'm the one calling for a trial where the stereotypes can be proved wrong, and you want it to go away. What are you afraid of?

Penn state should have settled for everyone when they paid $20m, which is plenty of money. Now, they’re going to get sucked back into the Piazzas continuing vendetta against the “frat boys” who failed to save their son from himself.
Could be true, but that would be malpractice by PSUs lawyers.

All fodder for proving their case at trial. With powerful evidence like that, what are you afraid of?

I’d be afraid of a centre county jury. I’d can honestly say that almost everyone I talked to wants these frat boys in jail for years, even the ones who handed him a 12 oz beer and went on their way. They are going to hand down huge awards to the piazzas. Tim’s texts may help a bit, as using cocaine is sure to drive a couple of the blue hairs on the jury insane. But then Kline will put up that happy photo of Tim on senior day in his football uniform and all will be forgotten. I don’t think facts matter to anyone, everyone here has made up their mind already.

I’d be afraid of a centre county jury. I’d can honestly say that almost everyone I talked to wants these frat boys in jail for years, even the ones who handed him a 12 oz beer and went on their way. They are going to hand down huge awards to the piazzas. Tim’s texts may help a bit, as using cocaine is sure to drive a couple of the blue hairs on the jury insane. But then Kline will put up that happy photo of Tim on senior day in his football uniform and all will be forgotten. I don’t think facts matter to anyone, everyone here has made up their mind already.
I thought this case was filed in federal court? If so, it wont be a centre co. jury.

Watch. I'm the one calling for a trial where the stereotypes can be proved wrong, and you want it to go away. What are you afraid of?
You are asking people to trust the legal system. After what has been witnessed by those who followed the Sandusky accusations and all the surrounding trials.......we should have faith? I don't think so. A system that convicted Spanier and awarded 12 million to MM. Yes, be afraid.

You are asking people to trust the legal system. After what has been witnessed by those who followed the Sandusky accusations and all the surrounding trials.......we should have faith? I don't think so. A system that convicted Spanier and awarded 12 million to MM. Yes, be afraid.
Well, a good part of that was caused by the BOT spending 8 million bucks to create a false narrative about Spanier's culpability, among other things.

Well, a good part of that was caused by the BOT spending 8 million bucks to create a false narrative about Spanier's culpability, among other things.
Let's not forget the role of the media, in buying the OAG's horseshit and mixing it as a potent cocktail with Freeh. SPM tried to do the same crap and it certainly worked to a large degree. It was long after the young man's death until the news about his medication, proclivity for binge drinking and at least recreational drug use surfaced. I don't know if any of the major publications have addressed this.

How does parents paying for a private school result in "privilege"? Parents pay for public schools too, often through taxes. Some kids get to go to school even if their parents don't pay their equal share of school costs. Why isn't that "privilege" as well?
People pay for private schools for many different reasons. Primarily it is because they are doing what is best for their kids. I know people who send their kids to private schools for the simple reason that they can and believe it is a better education. I know people who use private schools because they do not want to send their kids to Baltimore public schools. I have a friend who has 2 kids in public and 1 private because the private school will address her learning disability better. I know somebody who teaches elementary school and a third of her class does not speak English, in that case, my kids would go to private school.

I'm sorry that Tim Piazza died. But why is it that everyone other than Tim seems to be accountable for his death? Was Tim forced to drink? Was Tim forced to fall down the stairs?
If there is a civil trial, that information will come to light and it might not be the slam dunk the parents think. At a minimum, all the poor decisions their son made all the past drinking and drug use will be paraded around the court room and shoved in their faces.

All around it is a horrible and sad situation. The frat boys looked out for themselves and that contributed to Tim dying. Tim also voluntarily put himself in that situation, willingly consumed a large amount of alcohol.

Most of us have played stupid games in our youth, sometimes you win stupid prizes as a result. Tim won a horrible prize.

To be honest, the people who the next morning ignored obvious signs that Tim could be injured, maybe their lives should be very difficult and garnishing future wages might be just.

No winners here.

You are going on about "privilege" and then you play this card? All posters are equal but ones with high post counts are more equal than others. #Hypocrisy
Well, he said I was the worst poster ever here, that i continually ruined it for others.
Then I see he's a "new member." Huh.

I was already aware that critical thinking was not high on your chart. That's pretty remarkable though.

If there is a civil trial, that information will come to light and it might not be the slam dunk the parents think. At a minimum, all the poor decisions their son made all the past drinking and drug use will be paraded around the court room and shoved in their faces.

All around it is a horrible and sad situation. The frat boys looked out for themselves and that contributed to Tim dying. Tim also voluntarily put himself in that situation, willingly consumed a large amount of alcohol.

Most of us have played stupid games in our youth, sometimes you win stupid prizes as a result. Tim won a horrible prize.

To be honest, the people who the next morning ignored obvious signs that Tim could be injured, maybe their lives should be very difficult and garnishing future wages might be just.

No winners here.
How DARE you? You dare actually suggest that these lawbreakers ought to be accountable? Outrageous.

Showing your true colors (and they aren’t pretty) with your references to “entitled and privileged young men” and to Covington Catholic. Like many of your ilk, you just can’t admit when you’re wrong and can’t get past your initial rush to judgment based on an obviously brief and misleading video, despite all the later evidence that has come out. Pathetic.

Good post, Omar. I have concluded that Demlion couldn't get into a frat, so therefore only spoiled and entitled brats get into frats. Either that or it's lawyers sticking up for lawyers, since that is how the system is set up. He seems to ignore that that the Piazza kid was a drunk that loved getting liquored up (he bragged about it all week long), and that the initiation ritual was only a small part of the evening and the majority of the night was just another college party that we all (most?) have been a part of. On top of that I saw dad admit to Matt Lauer that he never had "the talk" with his son about drinking and drugs before sending him off to college. What is clear is that the Piazza kid was an entitled brat and his parents are the ones that the rest of us bitch about because they raised an entitled brat.

Good post, Omar. I have concluded that Demlion couldn't get into a frat, so therefore only spoiled and entitled brats get into frats. Either that or it's lawyers sticking up for lawyers, since that is how the system is set up. He seems to ignore that that the Piazza kid was a drunk that loved getting liquored up (he bragged about it all week long), and that the initiation ritual was only a small part of the evening and the majority of the night was just another college party that we all (most?) have been a part of. On top of that I saw dad admit to Matt Lauer that he never had "the talk" with his son about drinking and drugs before sending him off to college. What is clear is that the Piazza kid was an entitled brat and his parents are the ones that the rest of us bitch about because they raised an entitled brat.
Lol. Never even considered going to a frat party. Was not for me. Not jealous. Thankfully they can bring all your alleged facts out at trial. Why so afraid?

Let's not forget the role of the media, in buying the OAG's horseshit and mixing it as a potent cocktail with Freeh. SPM tried to do the same crap and it certainly worked to a large degree. It was long after the young man's death until the news about his medication, proclivity for binge drinking and at least recreational drug use surfaced. I don't know if any of the major publications have addressed this.
Is there any information out there about his toxicology results?

ADVERTISEMENT