ADVERTISEMENT

[Another] Piazza Suit

Why move on if Penn State is in handout mode? The precedent has been set.

Did Penn State settle? They got money from the fraternity but I might have missed any settlement from the university. Thought they struck out in court? Bottom line is their son chose to participate.

Did Penn State settle? They got money from the fraternity but I might have missed any settlement from the university. Thought they struck out in court? Bottom line is their son chose to participate.

Yes. In the story they mention a fincacial settlement was reached (of course undisclosed) with PSU.

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
Why would the university pay anything? Is Penn State ultimately responsible and liable for anything that happens at a fraternity?

Reactions: ILLINOISLION
Well, there were a whole bunch of rules AND state statutes about which these entitled and privileged young men were well aware.

Clearly the punishments in those statutes WERE NOT SUFFICIENT to deter this frat from making drunkenness a requirement for admission. Moreover, they blew off this brain-damaged young man for 12 hours while he lay dying.

During the Paterno assassination, and the assault on all of us, some voices called on us to move on. What was our response? This is their CHILD, not their football coach.

Somewhere in this country, maybe at Covington Catholic, are young men whose families are horrified, but not at the notion that their son may cause the death of a pledge, or become known as the kind of coward who watches a guy dying and does not call an ambulance. They will be horrified because his cowardice might bankrupt THEM. That is a good fear for them to have.

In my view, the more we talk about this, the longer we wait to move on, the more likely we stop it from happening again

Reactions: Judge Smails
Grief is fueling their anger. Money from the PSU settlement would be put to good use if they have other children they can provide for. Beyond that, they will eventually realize that ruining the lives of others will not bring their son back to them. Its not like they held this young man down and poured the alcohol down his throat. Also, wasn't he on meds that he knew should preclude him from drinking in excess?

Reactions: Kright

I admittedly haven’t followed the Piazza case closely. Besides knowing the university has deep pockets, they probably think if enough of a stink is made, the university will throw money at them. It’s happened before.

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
Well, there were a whole bunch of rules AND state statutes about which these entitled and privileged young men were well aware.

Clearly the punishments in those statutes WERE NOT SUFFICIENT to deter this frat from making drunkenness a requirement for admission. Moreover, they blew off this brain-damaged young man for 12 hours while he lay dying.

During the Paterno assassination, and the assault on all of us, some voices called on us to move on. What was our response? This is their CHILD, not their football coach.

Somewhere in this country, maybe at Covington Catholic, are young men whose families are horrified, but not at the notion that their son may cause the death of a pledge, or become known as the kind of coward who watches a guy dying and does not call an ambulance. They will be horrified because his cowardice might bankrupt THEM. That is a good fear for them to have.

In my view, the more we talk about this, the longer we wait to move on, the more likely we stop it from happening again

I generally respect your opinion, however I don't see the relationship between the Piazzas and the students at Covington Catholic. I also don't see the connection between the fraternity at PSU and the students at Covington Catholic.

I generally respect your opinion, however I don't see the relationship between the Piazzas and the students at Covington Catholic.
Do you think CovCath grads join frats at the same rate, or a higher rate than the general college student public. I am pretty sure it is a higher rate.

Grief is fueling their anger. Money from the PSU settlement would be put to good use if they have other children they can provide for. Beyond that, they will eventually realize that ruining the lives of others will not bring their son back to them. Its not like they held this young man down and poured the alcohol down his throat. Also, wasn't he on meds that he knew should preclude him from drinking in excess?
The REMOVAL of the money from the families of the defendant also plays a salutary role.

It will happen again dem. It’s happened before and it will happen again. We would all certainly like it to not happen again, but it will.

It will happen again dem. It’s happened before and it will happen again. We would all certainly like it to not happen again, but it will.
Agree.
So will terrible house fires. That does not mean we "move on" from trying to prevent them.

Do you think CovCath grads join frats at the same rate, or a higher rate than the general college student public. I am pretty sure it is a higher rate.

I have no idea. I went to a public school and joined a fraternity. My high school had a class trip to DC and we drank beer at the fraternity house. What does that have to do with what happened to Piazza's son?

I have no idea. I went to a public school and joined a fraternity. My high school had a class trip to DC and we drank beer at the fraternity house. What does that have to do with what happened to Piazza's son?
My Dad was a pretty common guy who came back from WW2 and opened a gas station/repair shop. I was a TKE. If I came from "privilege" it went to my brother...."Mom always loved him best....." lol

My Dad was a pretty common guy who came back from WW2 and opened a gas station/repair shop. I was a TKE. If I came from "privilege" it went to my brother...."Mom always loved him best....." lol
In the 70s when I went to PSU, there were guys who came from nothing in some frats, but they were not the majority.

Reactions: step.eng69

Showing your true colors (and they aren’t pretty) with your references to “entitled and privileged young men” and to Covington Catholic. Like many of your ilk, you just can’t admit when you’re wrong and can’t get past your initial rush to judgment based on an obviously brief and misleading video, despite all the later evidence that has come out. Pathetic.

In the 70s when I went to PSU, there were guys who came from nothing in some frats, but they were not the majority.
I graduated from PSU in 1973. I had a great experience in a fraternity and I suspect you had a great experience without a fraternity. What is the connection between the Covington Catholic students and what happened with Tim Piazza?

I don't think we should go "there" with broad strokes and making assumptions based on private school status or whatever rather this.......my Grandmother was Pennsylvania Dutch.....and she had a saying most of you have heard. "Old too soon and smart too late."

http://www.philly.com/education/pia...heir-son-settle-with-university-20190201.html

My opinion? This is over the top. They are essentially suing themselves as well because their son was a willing and voluntary participant.

At any point in this whole hazing/initiation rite the Piazzas kid could have walked out. Evidently, he did not know how to drink (whose fault is that); he was looking for friends/acceptance (whose fault is that). Yes, Mom & Dad should just admit they screwed up.

Reactions: mgkpsu
I don't think we should go "there" with broad strokes and making assumptions based on private school status or whatever rather this.......my Grandmother was Pennsylvania Dutch.....and she had a saying most of you have heard. "Old too soon and smart too late."
Um, I think a kid whose parents pay 10k a year for a private hs has some privilege.

They let him die. That's gonna cause you some problems.

serious.gif

Reactions: Eaglesmere
Showing your true colors (and they aren’t pretty) with your references to “entitled and privileged young men” and to Covington Catholic. Like many of your ilk, you just can’t admit when you’re wrong and can’t get past your initial rush to judgment based on an obviously brief and misleading video, despite all the later evidence that has come out. Pathetic.

Yep. Typical garbage coming from demlion --- he does like to stereotype "entitled and privileged young (white, of course) men."

I admittedly haven’t followed the Piazza case closely. Besides knowing the university has deep pockets, they probably think if enough of a stink is made, the university will throw money at them. It’s happened before.

Okay, so they got PSU money and fraternity money. Now they want frat member/family money.

Both the Covington kids and the frat boys showed some evidence of a privileged view of their circumstances.

The CovCath kids will be in frats. LOTS of private school kids join frats.

Um, I think a kid whose parents pay 10k a year for a private hs has some privilege.
OR, perhaps those parents made a MONUMENTAL sacrifice in some other area of the family budget? OR, PERHAPS, they were financially disciplined, baked their own bread and cookies and the kids took jobs shoveling snow and mowing lawns? Just another potential way to get there.

I just see a great deal of grey where you see black and white. It doesn't mean you are always wrong.
That is what TRIALS are for---to take that "gray" and shine a light on it so we can see it well enough to judge it more clearly. By opposing the Piazza's action, you oppose shining that light. I think the trial itself will be revealing. Could be a surprise for anyone who has a fixed opinion going in. I'm not afraid of that. Are you?

That is what TRIALS are for---to take that "gray" and shine a light on it so we can see it well enough to judge it more clearly. By opposing the Piazza's action, you oppose shining that light. I think the trial itself will be revealing. Could be a surprise for anyone who has a fixed opinion going in. I'm not afraid of that. Are you?
Like the light they shined on Gary and Tim?

Reactions: Agoodnap
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT