ADVERTISEMENT

Andy Kotelnicki...

Nice call psubiomed. Any chance you'll warm to this hire? I think I like it mostly.
The new hire seems smart as a whip to me. I can't wait to see what he can do with our roster talent. He will make things way less complicated for Allar. (And the entire team for that matter)

Reactions: ram2020 and 81b&w
...what a let down... another big 12 hire and yet another guy running up big numbers in a touch football league.

Franklin never ceases to disappoint.
I remember his Buffalo offense. They succeeded because of a crushing running game, not your typical B12 wide open offense. I won't judge this hire. I will expect an OC who designs his offense based on the skill set of his team. I do not expect an air circus, but B1G football.

Last edited:
Reactions: Psubiomed
I remember his Buffalo offense. They succeeded because of a crushing running game, not your typical B12 wide open offense. I won't judge this hire. I will expect an OC who designs his offense based on the skill set of his team. I do not exo3ct an air circus, but B1G football.
I don't think he is typical at all. Based on everything I have researched of him, he will use the skillset of the players he has.

He does not seem to have that ego of "forcing a system" that many have. Idk, we will see soon enough, but all signs point in a good direction to me.

Please God...not another RPO guy.

That offense sucks in this league. And it sucks even more with a guy like Drew at QB and Nick Singleton in the backfield.

This is on Franklin now.

My guys were Marion, Stein, and Grubbs. And Franklin went out and picked up another fraud running up numbers in a flag football 7 on 7 league. Disgusting. They should have just kept Yurcich if they were going to hire this clown.
You want to see a clown? Look in the mirror.

Nice call psubiomed. Any chance you'll warm to this hire? I think I like it mostly.
Yep. I'm warming up to it because I did my legwork and crunched the numbers and he is FAR BETTER than Yurcich in nearly every single stat, but not just the Big 12 numbers, but the MAC numbers were similar to. I still don't think it's a home run but it's a triple for certain. Yurcich was a single by comparison. After I looked at it closer, I went back and watched what Smoke Dixon said we needed, and it checked the most important boxes.

Now it's about recruiting: can he bring in what we need from the portal and go from there.

At the end of the day, Marion is the rising star, yes, but is he ready for the 3 level jump? Stein wasn't going to happen and even if it did we don't bring him in until mid January, far too late for the portal. This might have been the very best hire we can ask for, and it might just be the difference next year or for 25.

Again FOURTH IN THE NATION IN THIRD DOWN PERCENTAGE.

What was that thing again that got us beat against Ohio State and Michigan?

That...I LOVE.

Tell us you don’t know what an RPO is without telling us you don’t know what an RPO is.

Yeah, yeah.

The last time we debated several weeks ago, you were accusing me of heresy for the crime of thinking our O that struggled against Illinois and Northwestern was not going to cut it against Ohio State...and Michigan.

How did that work out for you?

Listen, I don't like the lateral-action, delayed-handoff running game. Call it RPO or not...I don't care. It doesn't work against elite defenses. Sometimes it doesn't work against less-than-elite defenses. And with a QB like Drew, it's downright dumb.

Hell, it didn't even work all that well against Illinois and Northwestern...but we were bailed out by our own elite defense.

They don't play defense west of the Mississippi River...except in Iowa and Utah. Yurcich came from a league that doesn't play defense. Now this latest guy.

Yes, I'm jumping the gun to criticize, and I may be wrong. But we're coming off a year that will go down as a huge missed opportunity. We lost against the Big-2 by wasting a lot of blue-chip talent on offense.

Sorry if this opinion offends you. On second thought, I couldn't care less.

Yeah, yeah.

The last time we debated several weeks ago, you were accusing me of heresy for the crime of thinking our O that struggled against Illinois and Northwestern was not going to cut it against Ohio State...and Michigan.

How did that work out for you?

Listen, I don't like the lateral-action, delayed-handoff running game. Call it RPO or not...I don't care. It doesn't work against elite defenses. Sometimes it doesn't work against less-than-elite defenses. And with a QB like Drew, it's downright dumb.

Hell, it didn't even work all that well against Illinois and Northwestern...but we were bailed out by our own elite defense.

They don't play defense west of the Mississippi River...except in Iowa and Utah. Yurcich came from a league that doesn't play defense. Now this latest guy.

Yes, I'm jumping the gun to criticize, and I may be wrong. But we're coming off a year that will go down as a huge missed opportunity. We lost against the Big-2 by wasting a lot of blue-chip talent on offense.

Sorry if this opinion offends you. On second thought, I couldn't care less.
If you look at the numbers, the Big 12 is not the conference with no defense like they used to be. Their numbers are pretty similar to the other conferences. And nowhere did I ever say our offense wasn’t going to struggle against OSU and Michigan…I don’t predict games or guess how they’re going to do against anyone because you never know.

Yep. I'm warming up to it because I did my legwork and crunched the numbers and he is FAR BETTER than Yurcich in nearly every single stat, but not just the Big 12 numbers, but the MAC numbers were similar to. I still don't think it's a home run but it's a triple for certain. Yurcich was a single by comparison. After I looked at it closer, I went back and watched what Smoke Dixon said we needed, and it checked the most important boxes.

Now it's about recruiting: can he bring in what we need from the portal and go from there.

At the end of the day, Marion is the rising star, yes, but is he ready for the 3 level jump? Stein wasn't going to happen and even if it did we don't bring him in until mid January, far too late for the portal. This might have been the very best hire we can ask for, and it might just be the difference next year or for 25.
Lmao

Reactions: wilbury
If you look at the numbers, the Big 12 is not the conference with no defense like they used to be. Their numbers are pretty similar to the other conferences. And nowhere did I ever say our offense wasn’t going to struggle against OSU and Michigan…I don’t predict games or guess how they’re going to do against anyone because you never know.

I'm looking at the numbers and see exactly two Big-12 teams with defenses ranked in the top-50, starting with Texas at #27.

The record will show that you reacted pretty sarcastically to the concerns I raised about our offense after the Northwestern game...when I said we were not going to beat the Buckeyes with the same O we showed against teams like Northwestern and Illinois.

As I see it, the term RPO has a somewhat elastic application, but Yurcich ran a lot of it both with us and before that at Oklahoma State. Now we're bringing in another Big-12 guy who ran a lot of it at Kansas.

I don't much like the concept to begin with. Too much lateral action, and the running plays are too slow to develop. Still, with the right personnel it could be effective. However, you need a dual-threat QB, and Drew is not that guy. It's like trying to fit a square peg into a round hole.

OK, I'm too critical much too early. Let's give the man a chance. But damn, I can't help but think we missed an opportunity this year. Our D was playoff caliber. Our O had the talent, but it was not deployed in a way that would have given us a chance against the two league heavyweights. In any case, I'm certainly hoping for the best with the new guy.

Reactions: Ski and ram2020
I'm looking at the numbers and see exactly two Big-12 teams with defenses ranked in the top-50, starting with Texas at #27.

The record will show that you reacted pretty sarcastically to the concerns I raised about our offense after the Northwestern game...when I said we were not going to beat the Buckeyes with the same O we showed against teams like Northwestern and Illinois.

As I see it, the term RPO has a somewhat elastic application, but Yurcich ran a lot of it both with us and before that at Oklahoma State. Now we're bringing in another Big-12 guy who ran a lot of it at Kansas.

I don't much like the concept to begin with. Too much lateral action, and the running plays are too slow to develop. Still, with the right personnel it could be effective. However, you need a dual-threat QB, and Drew is not that guy. It's like trying to fit a square peg into a round hole.

OK, I'm too critical much too early. Let's give the man a chance. But damn, I can't help but think we missed an opportunity this year. Our D was playoff caliber. Our O had the talent, but it was not deployed in a way that would have given us a chance against the two league heavyweights. In any case, I'm certainly hoping for the best with the new guy.

Not to worry, I think we will see a lot of different stuff geared to what each player brings. We have two quarterbacks who can both be utilized to their strengths. That will put the defense in a pickle in terms of preparation. Beau will be slanted towards the zone-read, run option and Drew will probably see more pistol and under-center plays. Both will run RPOs on occasion, but I would expect Beau to be more oriented to the shorter patterns with an occasional downfield surprise. Drew's passing will be more balanced. Expect to see more passes go to the center of the field, which will come as a pleasant change for Penn State fans.

That is what I am expecting from Andy K.

One thing he needs is a fast slot receiver for the jet sweep and misdirection plays. Don't know who that would be. No Hamlers on this team ... yet.

Another thing I am hoping to see corrected is the OL blocking. Year after year we watch our line fail to pick up stunts and blitzing linebackers. Year after year we scratch our heads wondering why someone blocked John instead of Joe. Year after year we have the size but not the push. It seems there has been a big disconnect between the OC and OL coach, and that goes back a long way. Ever since we adopted the modern college offense and all of this zone read RPO stuff it seems no one knows who to block.

Not to worry, I think we will see a lot of different stuff geared to what each player brings. We have two quarterbacks who can both be utilized to their strengths. That will put the defense in a pickle in terms of preparation. Beau will be slanted towards the zone-read, run c Drew will probably see more pistol and under-center plays. Both will run RPOs on occasion, but I would expect Beau to be more oriented to the shorter patterns with an occasional downfield surprise. Drew's passing will be more balanced. Expect to see more passes go to the center of the field, which will come as a pleasant change for Penn State fans.

One thing he needs is a fast slot receiver for the jet sweep and misdirection plays. Don't know who that would be. No Hamlers on this team ... yet.

Another thing I am hoping to see corrected is the OL blocking. Year after year we watch our line fail to pick up stunts and blitzing linebackers. Year after year we scratch our heads wondering why someone blocked John instead of Joe. Year after year we have the size but not the push. It seems there has been a big disconnect between the OC and OL coach, and that goes back a long way. Ever since we adopted the modern college offense and all of this zone read RPO stuff it seems no one knows who to block.
Collaborative leadership, like coach said. Sit with position coaches, analyze,film together, let the position coaches tell you the skills and lack of skills for each player.

I’m not sure how an average game against against Northwestern has anything to do with how they will play against OSU. We were always going to struggle more against OSU and Michigan because their defenses were better. Our offense didn’t light it up against Rutgers, but looked great against MSU. Every week is different which is why I don’t try to do predictions based on previous weeks.

I too am not a big fan of the slow developing plays or going from the shotgun in short yardage situations. But Kansas ran a ton of pre snap motion, which I do like. I also think short yardage situation play calling will change when you have a 6’5 QB as opposed to a small, mobile guy so I think he will not abandon the short yardage plays.

Outside of a few teams, rarely do you get a great defense and a great offense to come together the same year. That’s why more teams don’t win NC’s. Our offense had some weaknesses and that’s what cost us, but there have been years where our defense had the weaknesses.

I saw the pictures of he and his family in the stadium today. His son is huge, any idea how old he is?

Not to worry, I think we will see a lot of different stuff geared to what each player brings. We have two quarterbacks who can both be utilized to their strengths. That will put the defense in a pickle in terms of preparation. Beau will be slanted towards the zone-read, run option and Drew will probably see more pistol and under-center plays. Both will run RPOs on occasion, but I would expect Beau to be more oriented to the shorter patterns with an occasional downfield surprise. Drew's passing will be more balanced. Expect to see more passes go to the center of the field, which will come as a pleasant change for Penn State fans.

Tyree (portal entry from ND) is the slot to target.

I'm watching Bamas OL get lots of push off the LOS for their running game. PSU OL needs an injection of nasty attitude.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT