ADVERTISEMENT

Football Penn State Football to hire Kansas Andy Kotelnicki as Offensive Coordinator

There IS one particular stat that I absolutely LOVE about this guy even though I'm not in the belief this is a home run(it's a triple, MY was a single),: 4TH NATIONALLY IN THIRD DOWN PERCENTAGE OVER THE PAST 2 YEARS.

By way of comparison, we were 48th under Yurcich.

Yesterday you hated the hire and today it's a triple????

We'll see. The common denominator with offensive issues is Franklin. This guy will be his last OC at PSU unless Andy leaves for HC. He can't get another pass on this.

He could be a great coach. He doesn't have NFL or top P5 experience so I hope he can recruit.

He could be a great coach. He doesn't have NFL or top P5 experience so I hope he can recruit.

Well, it is his first time at bigger program so it will be interesting to see how that impacts his ability to recruit. It's not like it would be easy to see Buffalo or Kansas for football.

Speaking of recruiting, I'm surprised we haven't seen a "how hot is his wife?" comment yet.

• Haha
Reactions: 81b&w and 91Joe95
Look back at his Buffalo offenses. He's had 2 RB led offenses, he's had a 3000 yard passer, etc. He seems to be what everyone wants: somebody who will contour his scheme to the talent on hand. Whether that occurs or not is to be seen.
Agree, his track record suggests he adapts to the skills of his players. I’m such a nerd, I remember watching those WWW teams, and they definitely had a more traditional/conservative approach as they had the talent advantage in most games( well pretty much every game that wasn’t against Mt. Union).

Kansas was and still is less talented than most of their conference mates. They couldn’t just line up and maul people. They didn’t have the luxury of going “Hey, Marvin Harrison, get open and we’ll throw it to you”. He had to get creative. They ran a lot of gadget stuff, non traditional personnel grouping and formations to deceive and confuse the defense, because they had to. I watched 5/6 Kansas games over the last two years and have no idea how to describe “his offense”. They were mostly in shotgun spread, as is every other team in America. But otherwise, it a little bit of everything.

What I expect and hope to see is a guy that operates a modern offense, and has a great grasp of using personnel and formations to “scheme guys open” and get desirable run looks when he wants to run. I expect him to not be beholden to any particular concept just because it’s what he does or has always done. I have no idea specifically what we’ll see, but I have faith he’ll put guys in situations to succeed.

this year KU has run for 2500 yards and thrown for 2700. They have a 1200 yard rusher at 6.6 ypc and another for 600 at 5.2.

3 Qb's account for 88 runs for about 400 yards.

Leading receiver only had 38 catches for 650 (17 ypc) WR2 was 25/507 (18.8) and WR 3 was 29/395. Top TE was 25/422. Definitely a more 'explosive' offense but again, it is the Big 12 Defenses

Last edited:
Reactions: lazydave841
It certainly sounds like a solid hire and I hope we can address our issues on offense that definitely looked like they could be improved by better schemes and game day decisions. Just utilizing the strengths of our current personnel versus trying to out a round peg in a square hole would be a start.

That being said, I remember a lot of the same hype when Yurcich came in - he's an innovator and he adapts to his players' skills, etc and that didn't seem to happen by and large. I don't know how much of that is Franklin's involvement with the offense and his tendencies versus Yurcich just not being as good as hyped.

A big question I have is: has Kotelnicki called the plays as an OC? I think we definitely need a (good) OC who is also in control of the play calling.

We'll see. The common denominator with offensive issues is Franklin. This guy will be his last OC at PSU unless Andy leaves for HC. He can't get another pass on this.
I think the ‘revolving door’ OC / Franklin is the problem narrative is lazy. Look at the details.

Donovan was effective at Vandy but couldn’t make the jump to the Big. JoMo and Rahne got HC gigs. KC was fired to make room for Yurc, who was holding his own until he failed the OSU test 5 weeks ago. The sky is not falling.

Reactions: 81b&w and voltz99
this year KU has run from 2500 yards and thrown for 2700. They have a 1200 yard rausher at 6.6 ypc and another for 600 at 5.2.

Leading receiver only had 38 catches for 650 (17 ypc) WR2 was 25/507 (18.8) and WR 3 was 29/395. Top TE was 25/422. Definitely a more 'explosive' offense but again, it is the Big 12 Defenses
Stats, stats, and more stats. Will it translate to wins against the big two? Time will tell.

That little "two star QB" has a great arm and throws a beautiful "slant pass". Something that seems to have been missing in our offense for sometime!

I certainly hope he doesn't start out our games nest year as we seemed to do for tow years; and that is: Run Singleton to the left side for a 5 yard gain, then Run Singleton to the right side for "now gain." Then we had 3rd down and five with no idea what to run, so we punted!

I think the ‘revolving door’ OC / Franklin is the problem narrative is lazy. Look at the details.

Donovan was effective at Vandy but couldn’t make the jump to the Big. JoMo and Rahne got HC gigs. KC was fired to make room for Yurc, who was holding his own until he failed the OSU test 5 weeks ago. The sky is not falling.
KC got the short end of the stick. He was having to coach on Zoom... That whole year was stupid.

Good teams switch coordinators all of the time. We just would rather it not be a firing vs a coach trying to just progress in his career.

Reactions: bison13
That little "two star QB" has a great arm and throws a beautiful "slant pass". Something that seems to have been missing in our offense for sometime!

I certainly hope he doesn't start out our games nest year as we seemed to do for tow years; and that is: Run Singleton to the left side for a 5 yard gain, then Run Singleton to the right side for "now gain." Then we had 3rd down and five with no idea what to run, so we punted!
He seems to use alot of pre-snap motions. My hope is that he doesn't get to overly creative though. That is 1 knock that the Jayhawk crowd talked about.

He may have been forced to get extra creative based on the lack of talent as well. That shouldn't be a problem here.

Reactions: 81b&w
this year KU has run for 2500 yards and thrown for 2700. They have a 1200 yard rusher at 6.6 ypc and another for 600 at 5.2.

Obviously transitive property doesn’t always work for football but we played a mutual opponent, Illinois, this year and played them back to back weeks.

KU 34 points. 27 first downs. 262 rushing. 277 passing. 539 total yards. 1 punt

PSU 30 points. 20 firsts. 164 rushing. 219 passing. 383 total yards. 7 punts

Reactions: 81b&w
This was the young QB that Buffalo had in 2019. He isn't crazy fast and seems mostly pocket passer to me. I do want to look up some of the games to see how they ran the ball though.

Obviously transitive property doesn’t always work for football but we played a mutual opponent, Illinois, this year and played them back to back weeks.

KU 34 points. 27 first downs. 262 rushing. 277 passing. 539 total yards. 1 punt

PSU 30 points. 20 firsts. 164 rushing. 219 passing. 383 total yards. 7 punts
KU also played Illinois at home, and, at least until the Maryland game, Allar was much better at home than on the road. The Illinois game was Allar's first road start, and he was mediocre at best in that game. My guess is that if we had played Illinois at home, our offensive stats would've been much closer to what KU produced.

This was the young QB that Buffalo had in 2019. He isn't crazy fast and seems mostly pocket passer to me. I do want to look up some of the games to see how they ran the ball though.

funny to see the first part of that is against PSU. But the first play is a play against Robert Morris that includes a change of direction. The entire backfield goes to the right while the QB pulls the ball and goes left. We've been crying for misdirection all year.

Reactions: PennState_one
funny to see the first part of that is against PSU. But the first play is a play against Robert Morris that includes a change of direction. The entire backfield goes to the right while the QB pulls the ball and goes left. We've been crying for misdirection all year.
Oh yeah no doubt. Hurts me to see big plays against PSU lol.

Obviously it only shows the good plays, but I did like the holes it created in the defenses in that passing game. He did seem to make it relatively easy for the qb reads.

Reactions: Obliviax
Oh yeah no doubt. Hurts me to see big plays against PSU lol.

Obviously it only shows the good plays, but I did like the holes it created in the defenses in that passing game. He did seem to make it relatively easy for the qb reads.
Agreed. But I don't think PSU had a problem with scheme as MY's offense was great the year before. I think it was a matter of execution. There was confusion between QB and WR. That led to a complete lack of innovation and creativity. I really don't think that is on Allar. Everything I've heard is that he is really smart and a fast learner. That comes from HS people as well as college industry people.

But my gut tells me, and I don't have much to go on here, but my gut tells me that there was a breakdown between CJF and MY for some reason.

Agreed. But I don't think PSU had a problem with scheme as MY's offense was great the year before. I think it was a matter of execution. There was confusion between QB and WR. That led to a complete lack of innovation and creativity. I really don't think that is on Allar. Everything I've heard is that he is really smart and a fast learner. That comes from HS people as well as college industry people.

But my gut tells me, and I don't have much to go on here, but my gut tells me that there was a breakdown between CJF and MY for some reason.
I've actually thought that same thing. Franklin all but mentioned MY by name in those couple of pressers.

I am hoping that AK can simplify complex ideas like he claims to be able to. That would help out the offense drastically. They would obviously be able to play so much faster when having to think less.

I just hope that he knows how to run an offense around a pocket passer, because the Allar that we saw last week was really good and only is going to get better under the right coaching and in the right system; no more RPO stuff with him.
RPO doesn't necessarily mean the QB is the one running the ball.

I've actually thought that same thing. Franklin all but mentioned MY by name in those couple of pressers.

I am hoping that AK can simplify complex ideas like he claims to be able to. That would help out the offense drastically. They would obviously be able to play so much faster when having to think less.
Has anyone heard from MY? Did he do any kind of farewell tweet? He just kind of disappeared.

I've got access to read the KU 247 pay site. One word...WOW...

It's a downgrade for AK
Better chance to win natty at KU (What?)
We NEVER beat OSU (alright) and Michigan (What?)
Our offense sucks...ah no kidding, that's why we fired our OC
One dude went to a game at the Beav that was half full. I've been to well over a hundred games. NEVER half full.
Not sure we can be considered an "iconic" program.
Allar can't run AK's offense...he stinks
Sandusky stuff (original)
Did he consult with past PSU coaches (presumably to talk him out of it?)
Franklin's track record of OC's is suspect...right...only 3 are now head coaches.
A lot of statistical comparisons of their O vs. ours. I think they forgot to compare the D's we played against.

TBH, there are some level headed replies.
Message boards are going to message board. What do you think others say about the posts on ours? ;)

I agree. I really hope that Franklin does not leash him.
And you know how much Franklin has "leashed" each of our prior OCs how? Unless you're in practice and meetings you don't know, and you just don't like Franklin so you use that as a made up data point as evidence to support your opinion.

I've got access to read the KU 247 pay site. One word...WOW...

It's a downgrade for AK
Better chance to win natty at KU (What?)
We NEVER beat OSU (alright) and Michigan (What?)
Our offense sucks...ah no kidding, that's why we fired our OC
One dude went to a game at the Beav that was half full. I've been to well over a hundred games. NEVER half full.
Not sure we can be considered an "iconic" program.
Allar can't run AK's offense...he stinks
Sandusky stuff (original)
Did he consult with past PSU coaches (presumably to talk him out of it?)
Franklin's track record of OC's is suspect...right...only 3 are now head coaches.
A lot of statistical comparisons of their O vs. ours. I think they forgot to compare the D's we played against.

TBH, there are some level headed replies.
Ha, as great of a job these guys did at KU, this is still their 1st winning season.

The half full Beav is the best. I think the nadir for attendance in the last two decades has been like 70k, correct. Never even close to half full.

Also, a half full Beaver stadium would still have higher attendance than a sold out KU stadium (47k seats) and one of the worst P4 stadiums without question.

Ha, as great of a job these guys did at KU, this is still their 1st winning season.

The half full Beav is the best. I think the nadir for attendance in the last two decades has been like 70k, correct. Never even close to half full.

Also, a half full Beaver stadium would still have higher attendance than a sold out KU stadium (47k seats) and one of the worst P4 stadiums without question.
PSU, I believe, has the seventh most all-time victories of all D-1 teams, and is 21-4 in the last two seasons with a Rose Bowl victory, its players have won almost every individual award that is given out, has one of the biggest fanbases in all of college football (the TV ratings prove that), and regularly draws over 100,000 for even rent-a-win games. Enough said.

Has anyone heard from MY? Did he do any kind of farewell tweet? He just kind of disappeared.
Reading between the lines of the last few CJF press conferences I'm not surprised. It doesn't sound like he's leaving on great terms.

And you know how much Franklin has "leashed" each of our prior OCs how? Unless you're in practice and meetings you don't know, and you just don't like Franklin so you use that as a made up data point as evidence to support your opinion.
Yeah man, I definitely don't have any inside access into the coaching dynamics or anything. I was just going off some recent chatter thinking maybe Coach Franklin gets too hands-on with the playcalling sometimes."

I have no beef with Franklin though, I assumed based on my post history that folks know I back him. You made a fair point that as fans we can't really know what happens behind the scenes.

I'm just hoping the new OC is given the freedom to put his system in place and that translates to the offense kicking some ass next season.

Yeah man, I definitely don't have any inside access into the coaching dynamics or anything. I was just going off some recent chatter thinking maybe Coach Franklin gets too hands-on with the playcalling sometimes."

I have no beef with Franklin though, I assumed based on my post history that folks know I back him. You made a fair point that as fans we can't really know what happens behind the scenes.

I'm just hoping the new OC is given the freedom to put his system in place and that translates to the offense kicking some ass next season.
My view of it is that Franklin does "stay out" of the play calling until things look broken enough that he is catching heat in press conferences. Like all bosses, at that point he steps in and tries to get things righted. Did MY see that as micromanagement? I don't know. I can tell you, Franklin seemed to have no concerns letting JoeMo run not only the offense, but command the respect of the team and seem plenty obliged to let the big offensive numbers hit the stat sheet. MY was failing.

I assume that nobody on this board has inside access so we can only go by what we see. We see that the play calling in big games gets a little tight and didn't help Allar with easy passes to complete on 1st down. We also see some strange calls that seem like panic. Running on 4th and 5 at the end of the game vs OSU to lose by 1. Going for it on 4th and 1 from our side of the field vs OSU with more than 7 minutes remaining and time outs. So no we don't have inside access but some play calling has been strange in big games. Media analysts seem to agree and they don't have inside access either.

My view of it is that Franklin does "stay out" of the play calling until things look broken enough that he is catching heat in press conferences. Like all bosses, at that point he steps in and tries to get things righted. Did MY see that as micromanagement? I don't know. I can tell you, Franklin seemed to have no concerns letting JoeMo run not only the offense, but command the respect of the team and seem plenty obliged to let the big offensive numbers hit the stat sheet. MY was failing.

I think this year was a perfect storm (shît storm that is) of a few things contributing to a poorly run and executed offense:

1. WRs. Being nice, they just weren't great at times.
2. Interior OL weak.
3. Allar. Poor road game play. Inaccurate. Conservative.
4. Singleton used poorly and not as explosive.
5. Yurcich called bunk games vs Big 2.

We still finished 10-2. Which is great. But we're trying to be 12-0. At least 11-1. Franklin told us since spring that the WRs lacked consistency. We should have listened.

It certainly sounds like a solid hire and I hope we can address our issues on offense that definitely looked like they could be improved by better schemes and game day decisions. Just utilizing the strengths of our current personnel versus trying to out a round peg in a square hole would be a start.

That being said, I remember a lot of the same hype when Yurcich came in - he's an innovator and he adapts to his players' skills, etc and that didn't seem to happen by and large. I don't know how much of that is Franklin's involvement with the offense and his tendencies versus Yurcich just not being as good as hyped.

A big question I have is: has Kotelnicki called the plays as an OC? I think we definitely need a (good) OC who is also in control of the play calling.
Kotelnicki calls ALL the plays and it's been that way since the jump with Lance. 100 percent of the plays are called by Andy.

I think this year was a perfect storm (shît storm that is) of a few things contributing to a poorly run and executed offense:

1. WRs. Being nice, they just weren't great at times.
2. Interior OL weak.
3. Allar. Poor road game play. Inaccurate. Conservative.
4. Singleton used poorly and not as explosive.
5. Yurcich called bunk games vs Big 2.

We still finished 10-2. Which is great. But we're trying to be 12-0. At least 11-1. Franklin told us since spring that the WRs lacked consistency. We should have listened.
I was shocked our C was named second team all B1G. We also had a lot of injury challenges at guard.

Having said that, I really think that MY didn't know what to do with Allar. The more MY tried, the worse it got. Finally, I think (with no real evidence) that CJF and MY didn't get along well.

Reactions: lazydave841
Running on 4th and 5 at the end of the game vs OSU to lose by 1.
It's amusing how often this play gets cited as a bad call when those that do film breakdowns have said the exact opposite. Just because it got blown up doesn't mean it was a bad call. My memory of the breakdowns is fuzzy after all the years but IIRC we ran a few plays out of the same look earlier in the game and the Buckeyes showed a tendency indicating that this 4th and 5 would be a great beater for their defense, but it was blown up by bad offensive execution and Chace Young making a play to overcome the scheme deficiency.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT