ADVERTISEMENT

Football Penn State Football to hire Kansas Andy Kotelnicki as Offensive Coordinator

He's been with Leipold for ten years.

Kotelnicki began his coaching career as a student offensive line coach during his senior year at Wisconsin–River Falls. He was hired as an offensive assistant at Western Illinois in 2004. After two seasons, he returned to UW-River Falls as the Falcons' offensive coordinator. Kotelnicki was hired as the offensive coordinator of Division II University of Mary in 2013 and coached there for two seasons before being hired by Lance Leipold at Wisconsin–Whitewater for the same position.[3] Kotelnicki followed Leipold after he was hired as the head coach of the University at Buffalo.[4]

Kotelnicki was hired at the University of Kansas after Leipold left Buffalo to become the Jayhawks' head coach in 2021.[5] He added more option elements to Kansas' offense to compliment the skillset of starting quarterback Jalon Daniels for the 2022 season, in which the team became bowl-eligible for the first time since 2008.[6] During the season, Kotelnicki was nominated for the Broyles Award.[7] After the season. His brother is also a coach currently with University of Mary.

Besides watching a Kansas replay from this past year, does anyone have any videos to show what this guys offense will look like?

Better yet, what does this offense bring that will help us next year.

I just hope that he knows how to run an offense around a pocket passer, because the Allar that we saw last week was really good and only is going to get better under the right coaching and in the right system; no more RPO stuff with him.
look at the first video I posted above. His strategy is a single read off the RPO. Typically, the QB reads the OLB. He runs a lot of slants but his read and delivery is fast. With our RBs and QB, this should work well.

Last edited:
Reactions: 81b&w
I've got access to read the KU 247 pay site. One word...WOW...

It's a downgrade for AK
Better chance to win natty at KU (What?)
We NEVER beat OSU (alright) and Michigan (What?)
Our offense sucks...ah no kidding, that's why we fired our OC
One dude went to a game at the Beav that was half full. I've been to well over a hundred games. NEVER half full.
Not sure we can be considered an "iconic" program.
Allar can't run AK's offense...he stinks
Sandusky stuff (original)
Did he consult with past PSU coaches (presumably to talk him out of it?)
Franklin's track record of OC's is suspect...right...only 3 are now head coaches.
A lot of statistical comparisons of their O vs. ours. I think they forgot to compare the D's we played against.

TBH, there are some level headed replies.

It's a downgrade for AK
One dude went to a game at the Beav that was half full. I've been to well over a hundred games. NEVER half full.
Franklin's track record of OC's is suspect...right...only 3 are now head coaches.
A lot of statistical comparisons of their O vs. ours. I think they forgot to compare the D's we played against.

From what I have been seeing, they were definitely worried about losing him. Regardless, I really like what he says about his offensive philosophy.

It's a downgrade for AK

There's always going to be insane statements but I do have concerns about Allar in his offense. I've watched Kansas a decent amount the last 2 years and it's not what I would want for Allar.

Kansas probably has a better chance to make the playoff (look at the Big XII--very winnable moving forward) but a NC is crazy talk

Most people here say we "never" beat Michigan and Ohio State because, under Franklin, it's rare.

A lot of the other stuff is insane of ill-informed but some is fair.

I've watched Kansas a decent amount the last 2 years and it's not what I would want for Allar.

Look back at his Buffalo offenses. He's had 2 RB led offenses, he's had a 3000 yard passer, etc. He seems to be what everyone wants: somebody who will contour his scheme to the talent on hand. Whether that occurs or not is to be seen.

Look back at his Buffalo offenses. He's had 2 RB led offenses, he's had a 3000 yard passer, etc. He seems to be what everyone wants: somebody who will contour his scheme to the talent on hand. Whether that occurs or not is to be seen.
Time will tell but I liked the reports that there will be lots of pre-snap motion and plays run out of the pistol formstion

I think he'll continue to run the mixed scheme instead of flat out running a pro style offense for Drew. Which is fine long term. He wasn't hired just for Drew. Just don't love the fit but hopefully he has a plan which proves me wrong.

Reactions: lazydave841
Outside of Will Stein, I think this is the best we could have done! BIG TIME HIRE for CJF and company!!!
#WeAre
It's a triple. Which would have been good enough to go at least 1-1 in those two big ones this year.

I agree. I really hope that Franklin does not leash him.
Leopold sure as hell didn't. This was another reason why Franklin hired him: Franklin knows Lance well and knows he is a CEO who is 💯 percent hands OFF. Franklin knows what got him beat this year and prior years offensively and now he has his guy who he knows he can just let him go and do it.

Now...for our next trick... keeping Manny...

Reactions: PennState_one
You can still run RPO with allar and we were running rpo against Michigan State.
We don’t need to run RPO. That’s a rinse and repeat of past short comings. The staff better develop two game worthy qb’s at all times. This guys QB’s have a difficult time completing a season due to injuries as a result of getting beat up all the time.

I know nothing about him but Kansas really wanted to keep him. Kansas fans are not happy.

The bonus is it pisses off Psubiomed
Actually it doesn't. Initially it did because I didn't do any research. After I researched him I now am on board with the hire.

• Haha
Reactions: Westcoast24
We don’t need to run RPO. That’s a rinse and repeat of past short comings. The staff better develop two game worthy qb’s at all times. This guys QB’s have a difficult time completing a season due to injuries as a result of getting beat up all the time.
The new offense will be multiple. Much better than the rpo.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT