ADVERTISEMENT

Report: Deboer to Bama

I'd expect UW to promote OC Ryan Grubb.

Interesting move, IMO. DeBoer is a flat out winner. But also a very middling recruiter. He's going to be under immense pressure at Bama to recruit at an elite level and play the SEC game. Can't just focus on Xs and Os and pluck transfers.

I hope DeBoer turns them down as well, and Bama has to go way down their list...... Would be fun to see an exodus and a couple 6-6 records from them........

Interesting move, IMO. DeBoer is a flat out winner. But also a very middling recruiter. He's going to be under immense pressure at Bama to recruit at an elite level and play the SEC game. Can't just focus on Xs and Os and pluck transfers.
The pressure will be Immense. I have 2 Bama grads in the family and not sure anyone other than the "second coming" would suffice.....

I hope DeBoer turns them down as well, and Bama has to go way down their list...... Would be fun to see an exodus and a couple 6-6 records from them........

I hope he goes. Let Washington come in next year with a new coach. All the Eeyores have been talking about how unwinnable that game was going to be :rolleyes:

Reactions: Ten Thousan Marbles
I hope he goes. Let Washington come in next year with a new coach. All the Eeyores have been talking about how unwinnable that game was going to be :rolleyes:
They'll have to replace Penix and a new QB will have a hard time in front of the loudest, largest crowd they have ever seen. QB's make all the difference and Washington may take a significant step back when he is not there.

Reactions: psu00
DeBoer knows how he will get screwed by the BwhateverG for eternity if he stays in Washington... Smart move on his part.

Penn State was gonna win that game with or without DeBoer. UW loses a ton, and they rarely face that kind of physicality.
Also don't discount the travel factor for these West Coast teams; it definitely will have a negative effect on them, especially as the season progresses.

Also don't discount the travel factor for these West Coast teams; it definitely will have a negative effect on them, especially as the season progresses.

Yeah, when they get to Happy Valley, it will have been the 4th time travelling east for the Huskies in 7 weeks (Rutgers, Iowa, Indiana before PSU so they are largely fairly far). It will be interesting to see how that can impact the team.

They'll have to replace Penix and a new QB will have a hard time in front of the loudest, largest crowd they have ever seen. QB's make all the difference and Washington may take a significant step back when he is not there.
Never mind the massive number of 6th year guys that will be gone.

Reactions: royboy
Yeah, when they get to Happy Valley, it will have been the 4th time travelling east for the Huskies in 7 weeks (Rutgers, Iowa, Indiana before PSU so they are largely fairly far). It will be interesting to see how that can impact the team.
Just look at how the travel for West Coast NFL teams to the East Coast impacts them, and they're pros who have been making that kind of travel for years. That travel schedule for Washington is brutal and is going to affect them.

Last edited:
If this move means we can feel better about taking care of business vs UDub in HV then great. I do think even if Deboer is coaching the Huskies we should win that game. Losing Penix is a huge loss for them.

Ironically, Alabama reportedly wanted to hire Grubb as Saban’s OC last year but he turned them down. Now he’ll likely have the option of interviewing for the head job at UW or finally becoming the OC at Alabama. Funny how those things work.

I wonder how much he took that into consideration when he opted to leave because, quite literally, his stock may never be higher and the biggest job in college football might never be available to him again.

Regardless of how he does, I respect the fact that he’s willing to be the guy who replaces the greatest college football coach ever. This will be an interesting experiment to watch unfold because, although he’s had success pretty much everywhere he’s went, he’s going to a job where there’s so many different variables at play (e.g., booster politics, NIL machines, SEC).

Reactions: 81b&w
Our resident naysayers have predicted loses to usc uw osu and ucla. And Michigan and Oregon, even though we don’t play them. Because they’re all idiots.
Beating USC in the Coliseum will be difficult. Franklin is not good in those kinds of big games on the road unfortunately.

Reactions: psu00
For once we agree. Good riddance to him, and may his entire body of talent fall into the Pacific Ocean and hit portals and may there be a mass Exodus of their recruiting so we can get a gimme win next year, where there formerly looked like a toss up.

Beating USC in the Coliseum will be difficult. Franklin is not good in those kinds of big games on the road unfortunately.
Franklin is not good in ANY kind of big game played ANYWHERE other than Indianapolis in 2016.

Our resident naysayers have predicted loses to usc uw osu and ucla. And Michigan and Oregon, even though we don’t play them. Because they’re all idiots.
I predicted losses to West Virginia, Osu and w dub. I'll take this and ride this sucka to 10-2 playoffs bound as long as Franklin doesn't mess it up.

But you know he will....

Washington just got their a$$es kicked (bullied) by Michigan. That was probably their peak. And I was not impressed at all on how the now Alabama coach had them ready to face what Michigan brought to the game.

If he beats them and they have a similar season to this year you’ll just say it wasn’t a big game.

If he’d lost to Iowa this year it would have been another big loss to 11-1 Iowa. Because he beat them it’s no longer a big game.

If Franklin goes 11-1 with a loss to OSU next year you’ll change your narrative to osu was the only big game and he lost it. OSU is the only big game that Franklin can win next year. Any others will be minimized in the event of a victory. USC was an unranked team this year, Washington lost their head coach.

Last edited:
If he beats them and they have a similar season to this year you’ll just say it wasn’t a big game.

If he’d lost to Iowa this year it would have been another big loss to 11-1 Iowa. Because he beat them it’s no longer a big game.

If Franklin goes 11-1 with a loss to OSU next year you’ll change your narrative to osu was the only big game and he lost it. OSU is the only big game that Franklin can win next year. Any others will be minimized in the event of a victory. USC was an unranked team this year, Washington lost their head coach.
He will get credit when he wins big games. Iowa this year does not count. They are not that good. C'mon give me a break. If he beats USC next season and barring USC is not a train wreck rather a good team then he gets credit. Same for UDub or other legitimately good teams.

Believe me. I want to give him credit for winning big games he just is not giving me any opportunities to do that.

If he loses to lousy teams we should beat then of course he will be lambasted but if he beats them then no , I am not patting him on the back for some great achievement.

He will get credit when he wins big games. Iowa this year does not count. They are not that good. C'mon give me a break. If he beats USC next season and barring USC is not a train wreck rather a good team then he gets credit. Same for UDub or other legitimately good teams.

Believe me. I want to give him credit for winning big games he just is not giving me any opportunities to do that.

If he loses to lousy teams we should beat then of course he will be lambasted but if he beats them then no , I am not patting him on the back for some great achievement.

You just said USC is a big game.

USC finished 8-5 this year and loses a generational QB.

If he beats them, and they finish 8-5 again, you’re going to congratulate him for a big win, right?

Last edited:

Wow, bad move by both parties. Penix carried that team. The leash will be short in Alabama - he’ll be booted if he doesn’t have immediate success.

Wow, bad move by both parties. Penix carried that team. The leash will be short in Alabama - he’ll be booted if he doesn’t have immediate success.
I dont see how any coach taking over that program today is a bad decision. They're loaded. Playoff is expanding. They'll be in the playoff next year for sure even with that schedule. DeBoer took UW to a final. They weren't getting Kirby or Lanning. Not sure where people wanted them to go. DeMeco should have been the play IMO but they clearly wanted to move fast to avoid mass exodus in the portal. He's a better hire than Kiffin or Norvell or Sark IMO.

You just said USC is a big game.

USC finished 8-5 this year and loses a generational QB.

If he beats them, and they finish 8-5 again, you’re going to congratulate him for a big win, right?
I guess if it makes you happy. I mean wow we got the JF fan boy club here. Since it is on the road he gets credit for that. The 8-5 record would certainly diminish the luster of a W. Is it a big win? I guess so since it is on the road. Also, if USC was at least ranked when we played them.

What I really want him to do is win versus top 10 opponents. I would even classify a win as "big" on the road vs top 25. I also will give him credit for a "big" win vs a team ranked 11-25 at home if we are ranked lower than that team.

I guess if it makes you happy. I mean wow we got the JF fan boy club here. Since it is on the road he gets credit for that. The 8-5 record would certainly diminish the luster of a W. Is it a big win? I guess so since it is on the road. Also, if USC was at least ranked when we played them.

What I really want him to do is win versus top 10 opponents. I would even classify a win as "big" on the road vs top 25. I also will give him credit for a "big" win vs a team ranked 11-25 at home if we are ranked lower than that team.

I believe PSU in 2016 was ranked higher than PSU. Is there another win JF has had against a higher ranked opponent in the last decade?

I don't really care if we keep Franklin or not I just love the moving goal posts just so you and a bunch of others can bitch all the time.

You're the one who threw USC out as a "big game" he can't win, not me. I pointed out USC wasn't very good this year and may not be very good next and you got defensive. ESPN doesn't even have them projected to be in the top 25.

That last line is a real load of crap. For us to be ranked lower than a team ranked 11-25 we'll already have multiple losses on the season, probably at least 3. We were 10th with 2 losses to wrap up the regular season this year. No one's gonna be happy about a win over number 15 if we're ranked 20th. You won't consider Washington a big win if they aren't ranked in the top 10 when they come here? Good chance they won't be unless they have a grand slam hire.

I dont see how any coach taking over that program today is a bad decision. They're loaded. Playoff is expanding. They'll be in the playoff next year for sure even with that schedule. DeBoer took UW to a final. They weren't getting Kirby or Lanning. Not sure where people wanted them to go. DeMeco should have been the play IMO but they clearly wanted to move fast to avoid mass exodus in the portal. He's a better hire than Kiffin or Norvell or Sark IMO.

He’s the trendy hire. Never a good move

I don't really care if we keep Franklin or not I just love the moving goal posts just so you and a bunch of others can bitch all the time.

You're the one who threw USC out as a "big game" he can't win, not me. I pointed out USC wasn't very good this year and may not be very good next and you got defensive. ESPN doesn't even have them projected to be in the top 25.

That last line is a real load of crap. For us to be ranked lower than a team ranked 11-25 we'll already have multiple losses on the season, probably at least 3. We were 10th with 2 losses to wrap up the regular season this year. No one's gonna be happy about a win over number 15 if we're ranked 20th. You won't consider Washington a big win if they aren't ranked in the top 10 when they come here? Good chance they won't be unless they have a grand slam hire.
It would be nice to see him spring an upset once in his life so if we were 20th and beat a 15th ranked team that would be a nice win for Jimmy.

Let me be clear. If you say USC finishes 8-5 then beating them does not look great. Everyone can agree to that. I threw their name out because traditionally they are a strong team and a tough out certainly at the Coliseum. So if we beat them there and they go on to finish 9-3 or 10-2 then that is a big win. To me big wins are generally but not exclusively (because you can come up with exceptions) beating teams higher ranked than you and really those in the top 10 or even top 15. Or beating teams close to our ranking and we are both top 10-15. Like I said earlier I would give him credit if we beat a 15th ranked team and we were 20th. The actual record at the time is irrelevant in terms of whether it is a big win or not. It would count as a big win but it is academic mental gymnastics because in that example if we are 20th then yes it probably mean we lost 3 other big games or maybe not even big games. So yeah no one is happy but if you are keeping score it would count as a big win.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT