ADVERTISEMENT

Alabama Not Wasting Any Time With NIL

I’m about to step off the college football train. With the portal and this coming it is only going to get worse and worse. Even elite players are going to jump into the portal more often just to see what type of deals are out there. Schools are going to tamper more and more and recruiting the portal will be just as important as HS recruiting, maybe even more important if a team only needs 1-2 key experienced pieces.

I’m about to step off the college football train. With the portal and this coming it is only going to get worse and worse. Even elite players are going to jump into the portal more often just to see what type of deals are out there. Schools are going to tamper more and more and recruiting the portal will be just as important as HS recruiting, maybe even more important if a team only needs 1-2 key experienced pieces.

We knew this was coming for a long time, smart on Alabama for jumping ahead of it and planning this out as much as they have. Recruits will definitely look at this and say hey look if you come to Alabama we truly care about maximizing your financial opportunities, and we will show you how to maximize your marketing potential to make the most money. Not like Alabama really needs the recruiting help, but its a constantly changing world in recruiting.

If PSU really wants to compete this is something similar that they need to set up, and get it done fast. Alabama jumping ahead of it will only hasten the trend, and I would anticipate schools like Ohio State, etc. to jump on this sooner rather than later.

I would argue with how active the portal has been this season that the portal already has become almost as important as recruiting.

Not like they needed any additional advantages, but this is a home run piece of social media. Damn.

I’ll add the Old Spice ad is pretty funny...if businesses are willing to go local with some of this, could be less geographic advantage for bigger market schools.

Last edited:
hell....we couldn't even get a spring game, or have it on BTN rotation, to show kids how they can build their brand.

I previously posted that tOSU is building a team of media assistants for players. Part of the recruiting process will be to show how tOSU will build the player's brands on a nation and international scale.

hell....we couldn't even get a spring game, or have it on BTN rotation, to show kids how they can build their brand.

I previously posted that tOSU is building a team of media assistants for players. Part of the recruiting process will be to show how tOSU will build the player's brands on a nation and international scale.

Bowl game? Nah....

Bowl game? Nah....
yeah...it is all going to be about how to build a player's brand in terms of selling their name, likeness and preparing them for the NFL draft. It will be a multi-faceted PR campaign for and on behalf of the player: regular season games, preseason games, network tie-ins, social media, uniforms, numbers, time zones....if I am PSU, I am calling Amazon and Rokutan to made sure I've got my network reseller hat on. maybe get Shark Tank's Daymond John (FUBU) and Lori Greiner (QVC) on board as consultants (or to, at least, film a commercial for PSU to be used to play to prospects).

Reactions: Midnighter2
The ironic part is that outside of the southeast, Alabama’s “brand” is probably confined entirely to football. How many people say they wish they’d picked up that Alabama mba as it leaves places like Kellogg in the dust for marketing.

yeah...it is all going to be about how to build a player's brand in terms of selling their name, likeness and preparing them for the NFL draft. It will be a multi-faceted PR campaign for and on behalf of the player: regular season games, preseason games, network tie-ins, social media, uniforms, numbers, time zones....if I am PSU, I am calling Amazon and Rokutan to made sure I've got my network reseller hat on. maybe get Shark Tank's Daymond John (FUBU) and Lori Greiner (QVC) on board as consultants (or to, at least, film a commercial for PSU to be used to play to prospects).

This is all spot on, but does anyone else feel like taking their ball and going home? Like, do we want to get into this type of construct that is so antithetical to what amateurism and college sports is supposed to be about? The very things that made college football my favorite sport are unraveling. They should create a league of colleges that won't pay their coaches above a certain amount. No marketing and branding departments, etc. I realize it's hard to put the toothpaste back in the tube, especially for the local community and our 400 deputy athletic directors, but man, how bout school and football....that's it?

This is all spot on, but does anyone else feel like taking their ball and going home? Like, do we want to get into this type of construct that is so antithetical to what amateurism and college sports is supposed to be about? The very things that made college football my favorite sport are unraveling. They should create a league of colleges that won't pay their coaches above a certain amount. No marketing and branding departments, etc. I realize it's hard to put the toothpaste back in the tube, especially for the local community and our 400 deputy athletic directors, but man, how bout school and football....that's it?

I think in the absence of colleges paying players (which everyone seems to be against), allowing them to earn 'their own' money so to speak is a pretty nice compromise. I do think schools helping athletes seems to be against the spirit of amateur athletics, but we all know college football and basketball (in the P5) is not about amateurism. Still, this is as close as it gets to allowing a student to major in 'being a college football/basketball player', so while I think it sucks for PSU (because we are not going to be able to do what other schools will do - or be willing to anyway), I think it's ultimately fine for players to make money for their time and effort, and probably even better if schools are willing to help.

I've said this before, but there needs to be a cap on what players can pocket while eligible. Any excess funds should go into a trust until eligibility expires. Otherwise, this will turn into essentially a no show job with big pocket donors using "buying merchandise" to launder what used to be the bag man money.

Reactions: psu00
I think in the absence of colleges paying players (which everyone seems to be against), allowing them to earn 'their own' money so to speak is a pretty nice compromise. I do think schools helping athletes seems to be against the spirit of amateur athletics, but we all know college football and basketball (in the P5) is not about amateurism. Still, this is as close as it gets to allowing a student to major in 'being a college football/basketball player', so while I think it sucks for PSU (because we are not going to be able to do what other schools will do - or be willing to anyway), I think it's ultimately fine for players to make money for their time and effort, and probably even better if schools are willing to help.

Yeah, that is a well reasoned point. I don't fundamentally have a problem with players earning off their own likeness(seems ethical really, I mean, it is THEIR likeness). That said, I just have major concerns about the consequences of it. The SEC gets bigger and bolder, any concept of student-athlete gets eroded if you really want players to graduate and go to class. I bet Franklin does not care for this, but then again, Franklin cashes big checks.

I wonder about the team dynamic. How do you pay an all-American left guard on a commensurate level with a B1G honorable mention WR or QB? Regardless, the horse has left the barn and there isn't a lot of hay left.

I've said this before, but there needs to be a cap on what players can pocket while eligible. Any excess funds should go into a trust until eligibility expires. Otherwise, this will turn into essentially a no show job with big pocket donors using "buying merchandise" to launder what used to be the bag man money.

How will putting the excess into a trust control anything?

Yeah, that is a well reasoned point. I don't fundamentally have a problem with players earning off their own likeness(seems ethical really, I mean, it is THEIR likeness). That said, I just have major concerns about the consequences of it. The SEC gets bigger and bolder, any concept of student-athlete gets eroded if you really want players to graduate and go to class. I bet Franklin does not care for this, but then again, Franklin cashes big checks.

I wonder about the team dynamic. How do you pay an all-American left guard on a commensurate level with a B1G honorable mention WR or QB? Regardless, the horse has left the barn and there isn't a lot of hay left.

These are good points; another is what happens when a company is paying an athlete and he gets injured and can't perform, or is academically ineligible, etc.? When his playing has an impact on the investment of the company and there is a pretty big conflict of interest, it's going to be interesting to see how that plays out.

Reactions: Obliviax
Don't disagree but that will all now be set by various legal actions. What is sad is that the NCAA could have avoided this by being more fair and/or by allowing a player union so a collective bargaining agreement could have been struck. Now, it is a free for all.

The funny thing is that up until now the payments weren’t tied (Tide?) to a marketing return anyway - it was more of a pass the hat affair. I wonder how much extra the agents will pay to establish a real return or establish a token legitimacy. I also wonder how much of a big d!ck contest this will become among the donor-players.

Can anybody recite how far in advance of signing a kid can get a commitable marketing deal?

Reactions: Obliviax
These are good points; another is what happens when a company is paying an athlete and he gets injured and can't perform, or is academically ineligible, etc.? When his playing has an impact on the investment of the company and there is a pretty big conflict of interest, it's going to be interesting to see how that plays out.

Let's reel this in a bit. How much money do you think we're talking about here? How much would a company pay for the use of Ja'Marr Chase's image? Penei Sewell's? Great players, but the nature of the beast limits their appeal.

Let's reel this in a bit. How much money do you think we're talking about here? How much would a company pay for the use of Ja'Marr Chase's image? Penei Sewell's? Great players, but the nature of the beast limits their appeal.
The same local businesses are paying them now - w/out their likeness.

I don’t really know. Another question is how much time will players spend working on social media and brand management as opposed to in the classroom and/or practice field/court?

I don’t really know. Another question is how much time will players spend working on social media and brand management as opposed to in the classroom and/or practice field/court?

Here's an exercise that might provide some perspective. Find a list of athletes with the highest value of endorsement deals. Then count the number of football players on that list. Then see how many play defense, OL.

The same local businesses are paying them now - w/out their likeness.

In other words, not much. At least the businesses can then take a write-off without worrying about an IRS audit.

In other words, not much. At least the businesses can then take a write-off without worrying about an IRS audit.
well, they haven't been able to before. We are going to see football teams, the top tier, go global digitally. So PSU marketing to central PA is over just like PSU recruiting PA is over. markets are no longer geographical, they are global. This is why the news, entertainment and sports industries have gone global. While the USA is a nice market, it is really only 4% of the potential world market.

well, they haven't been able to before. We are going to see football teams, the top tier, go global digitally. So PSU marketing to central PA is over just like PSU recruiting PA is over. markets are no longer geographical, they are global. This is why the news, entertainment and sports industries have gone global. While the USA is a nice market, it is really only 4% of the potential world market.

You are vastly overestimating the appeal of the college game.

Here's an exercise that might provide some perspective. Find a list of athletes with the highest value of endorsement deals. Then count the number of football players on that list. Then see how many play defense, OL.

Its a good point, but I think ‘Alabama football player’ is a new and different category of athletic endorsement. The population at large may not care much for LBs and OL - but someone in Tuscaloosa (or Alabama) will I think. At a minimum of Bama is out there saying we’ll help you get cash - that’s just more to compete against.

Reactions: grinagrin
I am not sure what to there is to be upset about. Schools who already operate like professional sports franchises are going to have an advantage over those who do not. Nothing has really changed with these marketing deals other than these team’s players will less and less have to pretend to “play school.”

Like every other American sport, when my team is not playing I have zero interest in the product because of this. Whereas in years past I would spend most of my Saturday watching as many games as possible, now I have an incredible of amount of free.

Its a good point, but I think ‘Alabama football player’ is a new and different category of athletic endorsement. The population at large may not care much for LBs and OL - but someone in Tuscaloosa (or Alabama) will I think. At a minimum of Bama is out there saying we’ll help you get cash - that’s just more to compete against.

Don't disagree. But what do you think the commercial value of a Tide star in Alabama (and maybe somewhat beyond) is? Don't think we're talking gynormous sums. And for a two on the two-deep? We ain't crackin' the Bullion Depository at Fort Knox (assuming that there is anything left there).

As for competition, no one said life is easy. For once in her too-long career maybe Ms. Excellence will break a sweat to earn her money (although it's more likely that she'll hire a half-dozen new AADs)

Don't disagree. But what do you think the commercial value of a Tide star in Alabama (and maybe somewhat beyond) is? Don't think we're talking gynormous sums. And for a two on the two-deep? We ain't crackin' the Bullion Depository at Fort Knox (assuming that there is anything left there).

As for competition, no one said life is easy. For once in her too-long career maybe Ms. Excellence will break a sweat to earn her money (although it's more likely that she'll hire a half-dozen new AADs)
You know they will hire more people.

We'll find out. The reality is, national brands generally won't, because their college careers are relatively fleeting and smart marketing people are generally careful enough not to hitch their wagon to unknown young quantities who turn out to be galactically stupid or, worse, criminals.

Local brands and car dealerships on the other hand...

You know they will hire more people.

Knowing PSU, I don't want to begin thinking about the numbers. Sandy can add another building to her master plan which brandon Short can rubber-stamp.

We'll find out. The reality is, national brands generally won't, because their college careers are relatively fleeting and smart marketing people are generally careful enough not to hitch their wagon to unknown young quantities who turn out to be galactically stupid or, worse, criminals.

Local brands and car dealerships on the other hand...
"Hey Rivals five star player. Come play for us and our local car dealership would love to use your likeness as a marketing tool. Your payment will be the use of a sweet little sports car which may or may not have a suitcase full of cash in the trunk."

It sounds like the bagman will be obsolete.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT