ADVERTISEMENT

Alabama Not Wasting Any Time With NIL

We'll find out. The reality is, national brands generally won't, because their college careers are relatively fleeting and smart marketing people are generally careful enough not to hitch their wagon to unknown young quantities who turn out to be galactically stupid or, worse, criminals.

Local brands and car dealerships on the other hand...

Bingo. So how many Wolverines does Zingerman's sign up?

You are vastly overestimating the appeal of the college game.
maybe. But the national championship game is typically viewed by 20,000,000 viewers and Penn state gets 107,000 suckers to drop a couple of hundred dollars to watch them play Buffalo, or equivalent, every year. The PSU/USC rose bowl was watched by over 16,000,000 peeps.

I recall people disagreeing when I said this would all happen ten years ago. The NFL is trying to get a global reach and the NBA already has a global reach. Not a stretch to see an Alabama or ND doing the same. And even if they can't, a great way to make sugar plums dance in the heads of their 5 star prospects

Reactions: PSJimbo
"Hey Rivals five star player. Come play for us and our local car dealership would love to use your likeness as a marketing tool. Your payment will be the use of a sweet little sports car which may or may not have a suitcase full of cash in the trunk."

It sounds like the bagman will be obsolete.

"And if you turn out to be a bust, you'll be washing and vacuuming cars for your four years in (__________)."

The nice thing about this is that it will all be out in the open and the guy forking out the cash can legitimately expect a return on his investment.

Reactions: step.eng69
We'll find out. The reality is, national brands generally won't, because their college careers are relatively fleeting and smart marketing people are generally careful enough not to hitch their wagon to unknown young quantities who turn out to be galactically stupid or, worse, criminals.

Because the NFL guys are great?
-%D7%A7%D7%A8%D7%90%D7%A4%D7%98-e1547021835612.jpg

Deshaun_Watson-1-e1578230177746.jpg

maybe. But the national championship game is typically viewed by 20,000,000 viewers and Penn state gets 107,000 suckers to drop a couple of hundred dollars to watch them play Buffalo, or equivalent, every year. The PSU/USC rose bowl was watched by over 16,000,000 peeps.

I recall people disagreeing when I said this would all happen ten years ago. The NFL is trying to get a global reach and the NBA already has a global reach. Not a stretch to see an Alabama or ND doing the same. And even if they can't, a great way to make sugar plums dance in the heads of their 5 star prospects

Wow. The 2018 World Cup Final had an estimated viewership of 517mm. Super Bowl LIV had almost 100mm viewers in the US and an estimated 30mm to 50mm abroad. How many outside of the US watched the College Football Championship and how many of those weren't stationed in a US military facility?

So you think that Bama and ND have the wherewithal to go international on their own? Good luck to them if they think so.

Reactions: step.eng69
We knew this was coming for a long time, smart on Alabama for jumping ahead of it and planning this out as much as they have. Recruits will definitely look at this and say hey look if you come to Alabama we truly care about maximizing your financial opportunities, and we will show you how to maximize your marketing potential to make the most money. Not like Alabama really needs the recruiting help, but its a constantly changing world in recruiting.

If PSU really wants to compete this is something similar that they need to set up, and get it done fast. Alabama jumping ahead of it will only hasten the trend, and I would anticipate schools like Ohio State, etc. to jump on this sooner rather than later.

I would argue with how active the portal has been this season that the portal already has become almost as important as recruiting.
PSU and most schools won’t want to do all that.

Wow. The 2018 World Cup Final had an estimated viewership of 517mm. Super Bowl LIV had almost 100mm viewers in the US and an estimated 30mm to 50mm abroad. How many outside of the US watched the College Football Championship and how many of those weren't stationed in a US military facility?

So you think that Bama and ND have the wherewithal to go international on their own? Good luck to them if they think so.
these guys don't think in "today" terms, they think in 2030 terms. rome wan't built in a day. Lots of money to be made off of 20,000,000 viewers and 107,000 paying customers. I don't have to be bill gates, I would be happy being Paul Allen (now deceased).

What's actually more potentially interesting about this is this is essentially the shit that agents do. At some point, some universities will realize that, and will probably create their own agency subsidiaries where they can seamlessly transition athletes following "school," essentially recapturing the benefits that they will soon be forced to pay players while they are in school. Mark my words - universities will eventually compete with agents.

these guys don't think in "today" terms, they think in 2030 terms. rome wan't built in a day. Lots of money to be made off of 20,000,000 viewers and 107,000 paying customers. I don't have to be bill gates, I would be happy being Paul Allen (now deceased).

Who are "these guys" and why aren't they doing it now?

"Hey Rivals five star player. Come play for us and our local car dealership would love to use your likeness as a marketing tool. Your payment will be the use of a sweet little sports car which may or may not have a suitcase full of cash in the trunk."

They won’t be obsolete. They’ll now be allowed to come out of the shadows and work boldly in the open. They’ll just classify themselves under ‘NIL’. This will be a real mess.

This is all spot on, but does anyone else feel like taking their ball and going home? Like, do we want to get into this type of construct that is so antithetical to what amateurism and college sports is supposed to be about? The very things that made college football my favorite sport are unraveling. They should create a league of colleges that won't pay their coaches above a certain amount. No marketing and branding departments, etc. I realize it's hard to put the toothpaste back in the tube, especially for the local community and our 400 deputy athletic directors, but man, how bout school and football....that's it?
I can only speak for myself but I always felt a connection to Penn State and college football because I supported the school and supported higher education. It was the idea of being a part of something bigger than yourself. I saw things through rose colored glasses or maybe blue and white glasses and I bought into the whole idea of promoting the idea of higher education and Penn State through the football program. That's why JoePa stayed instead of taking the job as the Patriots head coach. But I'm not a fool. I know there has always been a part of college football which had little to do with college. These teams are a junior version of the NFL for places too small to support an NFL franchise, like Nebraska or Columbus, Ohio. But still, there was enough of Joe's vision to be true for me to believe in it and root for it.

But now it's different. With the transfer portal and this likeness and image whatever you want to call it I don't know how I can keep telling myself college football has much to do with college. I can still watch but the emotional connection is pretty weak so wins and losses don't mean the same. Maybe it is College Football in Name Only so we can take the final step and drop the Penn State from the Nittany Lions. How about picking up a sponsor like the Wawa Nittany Lions or the Giant Iggle Nittany Lions? The team would probably make more money that way.

Who are "these guys" and why aren't they doing it now?
they are dumb and haven't thought of it but due to changing laws and the pandemic, things are changing fast.

In my industry, there was this notion of brick and mortar locations and the future was digital. no more. Digital is now. People are pouring billions into digital solutions as that there is no longer any pretense. Physical locations are kaput and digital hookups are where it is at. There is a breakneck rush to go digital like we've never seen. I was in the silicon valley (in Nebraska it is called the silly corn valley) for ten days earlier this month. VC is throwing money at digital vendors like there is no tomorrow. Once, people had to move to take certain positions. Today, they are hiring people for these positions in Romania and Paraguay.

Trust me on this...you are going to see change in the next three years like you've never seen before. Small people think small. If you are in business and aren't thinking globally, you are making a mistake.

No surprise there. How are you making out with Bob Kraft's list?
LOL...Bob Kraft is the company...his players are his endorsements. His happy ending wasn't a big problem, was it?

That's...the...best....you...can...do? No surprise there.
yikes you are a real piece of work. Kraft and Watson were only two examples of hundreds of sports figures that make millions on endorsements a year in the NFL. Kraft's team has hundreds of endorsements that he makes money from. I didn't think I'd have to point that out. there is no reason to believe that college players can't and won't make just as much. They simply have not had the opportunity in the past and the university administrators are the worst business people on the face of the planet.

Last edited:
Yup, everything you say is gospel, you dumb piece of shit.

maybe..they certainly do with at risk NFL players and rappers. Watson is still getting paid after an army of women have made accusations against him and he is being investigated by the NFL and law enforcement

b51f9-16179017663609-800.jpg

it is all going to be about how to build a player's brand in terms of selling their name, likeness and preparing them for the NFL draft.
I remember when it was about getting an education.

Reactions: psu00
Where do academics fit in?

I hate us.
Silly old Bob! Who comes to a university to play school?

But seriously, I agree that there is a reasonable compromise here somewhere. But there have to be some sorts of limits on it, and it should help everyone if possible. If the schools can use a kid's image to market the school or something, the kid should be allowed to do so as well. Even Joe would complain about the inconsistencies in the NCAA rules.

That said, you can't give a kid's family or dying grandmother a plane ticket to come watch them play on senior day. Now the kid has a chance to earn the money to get his own tickets. This certainly doesn't help in all of these situations since Jimmy Third String isn't going to be a hot commodity for this year's new Adidas adds. Can this new arrangement somehow benefit everyone, or just 'star' players? Did we just permanently insert an "I" in 'team'?

How does this all effect a kid's contact with an agent? If my kid was approached about doing an ad, I would want him to be represented by someone.

I remember when it was about getting an education.
well, that is what they said.

recently, PSU landed a top-notch CB. In the interview, he was asked why PSU and he said "because I believe they can get me to the next level". He clearly meant the NFL. Later, he added education but I think it was that he caught himself. Even coaches at tOSU laughed about kids going to school to get an education. Most of the top-notch kids are only going to school because that is, ostensibly, the only path to the NFL.

I totally agree with you. I am an old school college fan. But we are kidding ourselves if we think the college game today resembles that of our youth.

Reactions: bdgan
well, that is what they said.

recently, PSU landed a top-notch CB. In the interview, he was asked why PSU and he said "because I believe they can get me to the next level". He clearly meant the NFL. Later, he added education but I think it was that he caught himself. Even coaches at tOSU laughed about kids going to school to get an education. Most of the top-notch kids are only going to school because that is, ostensibly, the only path to the NFL.

I totally agree with you. I am an old school college fan. But we are kidding ourselves if we think the college game today resembles that of our youth.
So what about the 95% of the players who won’t go to the NFL and know they won’t go? What are they in it for?

So what about the 95% of the players who won’t go to the NFL and know they won’t go? What are they in it for?
It’sa good point but at age 17, not confident that is on their radar

Exactly. This sounds to me like just changing the bagman from the bagman to a legitimate establishment thing.

Also, while I get NIL for football and men's basketball, it doesn't seem right for non-revenue sports that the school is losing money on. If a player in those sport makes money on NIL then it seems like they should have to pay off the school for staging the sport. And then if the sport gets enough from the players that it breaks even, then the players can keep the excess.

Schools like Texas and A&M could become very relevant with money and businesses of boosters and alumni. Penn State Will sadly never sniff another NC unless it happens before all of this gets going full bore.

The ironic part is that outside of the southeast, Alabama’s “brand” is probably confined entirely to football. How many people say they wish they’d picked up that Alabama mba as it leaves places like Kellogg in the dust for marketing.
Alabama today is not the Alabama of the past. It’s no Kellogg, but it is a much better school than many here believe, or want to admit.

Last edited:
M

Alabama today is not the Alabama of the past. It’s no Kellogg, but it is a much better school than many here believe, or want to admit.
A flagship state institution will have a few solid programs (eg, aero there) and will serve you well in state in a local booster economy. Nothing wrong with that. But let’s not get carried away.

I can’t see how this will change anything but maybe I’m too old or shortsighted to know better. A college kid is gone before you know it, why pay a lot for that?
Ahh, hell with it. If PSU wins, fine, if they lose, life goes on.

Interesting part is that the original NCAA NIL proposal, now somewhere in limbo, prohibited schools from assisting players in their efforts. Appears that Bama has the rapidly diminishing image of the NCAA in its rear-view mirror. Roll Tide!
A flagship state institution will have a few solid programs (eg, aero there) and will serve you well in state in a local booster economy. Nothing wrong with that. But let’s not get carried away.
Not getting carried away at all. Just saying Alabama is not what many people think it is. The state? Absolutely! But not the university.

I can’t see how this will change anything but maybe I’m too old or shortsighted to know better. A college kid is gone before you know it, why pay a lot for that?
Ahh, hell with it. If PSU wins, fine, if they lose, life goes on.
If anything this brings the status quo back to where it was when we could give out 100+ schollies and wrap up all of the best talent in the state. Now the money is above board and a big brand like PSU should never lose a guy to WVU or Cuse or BC and we shouldn't lose talent to UGa or Clemson. We are in the position to pay above board and keep the kids from our region home.

I’m about to step off the college football train. With the portal and this coming it is only going to get worse and worse. Even elite players are going to jump into the portal more often just to see what type of deals are out there. Schools are going to tamper more and more and recruiting the portal will be just as important as HS recruiting, maybe even more important if a team only needs 1-2 key experienced pieces.

I agree. I'm not being apoplectic about it, but the closer the NCAA gets to the NFL, the less compelling it becomes as an institution. At some point, it's just a minor league and not many people care about the minors.

It’sa good point but at age 17, not confident that is on their radar
Oh I think the majority of players at 17 go into this knowing they’re not going to the NFL and they’re using football (or whatever sport) to get an education. I saw it first hand with my son and the guys he played baseball with....they weren’t trying to get to the majors, they were just trying to play college ball somewhere. There are some that are confident they will play professionally ( a small percentage), and some that think they might (a small percentage) and the rest know they’re not going to or at least go into college thinking they’re not going to and maybe they develop, grow, improve or whatever and then think they have a chance.

Oh I think the majority of players at 17 go into this knowing they’re not going to the NFL and they’re using football (or whatever sport) to get an education. I saw it first hand with my son and the guys he played baseball with....they weren’t trying to get to the majors, they were just trying to play college ball somewhere. There are some that are confident they will play professionally ( a small percentage), and some that think they might (a small percentage) and the rest know they’re not going to or at least go into college thinking they’re not going to and maybe they develop, grow, improve or whatever and then think they have a chance.
Ok. But I can’t disagree more especially for four and five star guys

Ok. But I can’t disagree more especially for four and five star guys
I agree with you for four and five star guys, but there are far more three and fewer star guys than four and five star. I think the games is changing to benefit a very small percentage of players at the expense of the vast majority.

I agree with you for four and five star guys, but there are far more three and fewer star guys than four and five star. I think the games is changing to benefit a very small percentage of players at the expense of the vast majority.
Maybe but I am talking about the elite teams. Osu Michigan ND Alabama etcetera

ADVERTISEMENT