ADVERTISEMENT

Football Happy Valley United announces Retain The Roar NIL campaign

I don’t understand why anyone would give even 50 cents to a 18-22 year-old who has been handed a free college education so he/she plays a sport for one school rather than another.
Way too many better causes far more significant that should receive donated dollars.
I enjoy watching PSU football. Not as much as I did in prior decades, but I still watch on TV. If PSU never wins another game because charity dollars go to far better causes, so be it.

I don’t understand why anyone would give even 50 cents to a 18-22 year-old who has been handed a free college education so he/she plays a sport for one school rather than another.
Way too many better causes far more significant that should receive donated dollars.
I enjoy watching PSU football. Not as much as I did in prior decades, but I still watch on TV. If PSU never wins another game because charity dollars go to far better causes, so be it.
Either we embrace NIL to compete with the big boys or we denounce it and forget about ever competing again. I don’t like it either but this is the way nowadays.

Either we embrace NIL to compete with the big boys or we denounce it and forget about ever competing again. I don’t like it either but this is the way nowadays.
It's really that black or white for you? If we don't catch up in NIL that we just simply won't ever compete in a big way?

I respectfully disagree, we are a major program that naturally, by default, should be very competitive with our tradition, resources, etc. I think what ticks me off most internally about our NIL situation is JF uses it as subtext for why we struggle or will struggle -- it comes off to me as lacking accountability. I think most to all of us by now, including the fanboys on here, can attest that JF can be a word salad guy. He says a lot, but at times, not much substance. The Peach Bowl for many fans I know was the last straw of goodwill and his ridiculous preaching how hard winning is when we beat Rutgers, IU, etc. Whatever.

So this season, if in our few biggest games, Allar continues to blow chunks in big moments and we lose, that is due to NIL? 1000% no.

At the end of the day, your core, your nucleus will be natural HS recruits, and then you fill the gaps with transfers, and yes, NIL plays a big part of that, including roster retention. I totally agree we need to have enough NIL to avoid an exodus annually. But, I can absolutely see people using our NIL struggles as a crutch and saving grace for JF b/c he is truly in an uphill battle. He is at PSU, not Pitt.

Last edited:
Reactions: RickinDayton
The thing we have going for us is there’s probably another 120 fanbases that see it the same us. Between NIL and being guilted into tipping the gal that hands me my deli sandwich every day, I’ve got “gimme more money” fatigue.

I still get my tix and parking and pay the NLC contribution because I don’t want to lose what I have. I may give a tiny amount to NIL, just for some small benefit. Above that, I can’t personally justify it. The system sucks. If my lack of support means a #13 ranking at the beginning of December, I am prepared to deal with that.

It's really that black or white for you? If we don't catch up in NIL that we just simply won't ever compete in a big way?

I respectfully disagree, we are a major program that naturally, by default, should be very competitive with our tradition, resources, etc. I think what ticks me off most internally about our NIL situation is JF uses it as subtext for why we struggle or will struggle -- it comes off to me as lacking accountability. I think most to all of us by now, including the fanboys on here, can attest that JF can be a word salad guy. He says a lot, but at times, not much substance. The Peach Bowl for many fans I know was the last straw of goodwill and his ridiculous preaching how hard winning is when we beat Rutgers, IU, etc. Whatever.

So this season, if in our few biggest games, Allar continues to blow chunks in big moments and we lose, that is due to NIL? 1000% no.

At the end of the day, your core, your nucleus will be natural HS recruits, and then you fill the gaps with transfers, and yes, NIL plays a big part of that, including roster retention. I totally agree we need to have enough NIL to avoid an exodus annually. But, I can absolutely see people using our NIL struggles as a crutch and saving grace for JF b/c he is truly in an uphill battle. He is at PSU, not Pitt.
Your premise made sense 20 years ago. 98% of these kids don’t give a sh1t about tradition, etc. It’s unfortunately all about the money.

Your premise made sense 20 years ago. 98% of these kids don’t give a sh1t about tradition, etc. It’s unfortunately all about the money.
Oh for sure...I was talking more about tradition and strength of brand when it came to just naturally being good to very good -- similarly to the heavyweights in CBB, they have outlier bad years, but mostly are good to great. I understand and agree with your premise that NIL is key. I just think it's the latest 'reason or excuse' for JF to use if we come up short b/c our OL gets pummeled on a big 3rd down to close the game, or Allar overthrows someone on a key play to win the game. At the end of the day, it's about execution on the field from highly rated, high star guys...NIL is a surface band-aid, player development and schematics still mean more. TAMU spent a country's GDP worth of money a couple years ago bringing in a ton of guys, and they were a disaster. It's not a guarantee that NIL tips the scales to W's.

Reactions: RickinDayton
But, I can absolutely see people using our NIL struggles as a crutch and saving grace for JF b/c he is truly in an uphill battle.

I think '24 will be an interesting case study for NIL.

1. Does OSU win it all? Conference, playoff, national championship or bust? They probably have the most NIL in this team of anybody in the country.

2. Oregon is right there with them, and now they come over with their typical hardest west coast games and now add some Midwest ones. NIL spending alone puts them in the top 2 (and they could be #1, I don't follow it verbatim)

3. Where does Michigan land post-Jimmah? Can USC buy a defense AND structure a usually strong Riley-coached offense?

4. The biggest NIL concerns for us is we need WRs and for some reason, we aren't going out and buying 1, 2, even 3. Even if we get outbid, attempt to buy a HS kid like Jeremiah Smith. Don't let an in conference guy like Keon Coleman leave Sparty for FSU. It's the glaring weakness in our roster. Address it.

Reactions: scrivener
I think '24 will be an interesting case study for NIL.

1. Does OSU win it all? Conference, playoff, national championship or bust? They probably have the most NIL in this team of anybody in the country.

2. Oregon is right there with them, and now they come over with their typical hardest west coast games and now add some Midwest ones. NIL spending alone puts them in the top 2 (and they could be #1, I don't follow it verbatim)

3. Where does Michigan land post-Jimmah? Can USC buy a defense AND structure a usually strong Riley-coached offense?

4. The biggest NIL concerns for us is we need WRs and for some reason, we aren't going out and buying 1, 2, even 3. Even if we get outbid, attempt to buy a HS kid like Jeremiah Smith. Don't let an in conference guy like Keon Coleman leave Sparty for FSU. It's the glaring weakness in our roster. Address it.
and I believe Michigan isn't exactly an NIL juggernaut and are in a similar place as PSU -- at least they were early in the game, from what I remember.

Ohio State also had a player led donation to an NIL collective from Stroud and Cardale Jones, I want to say? It was some big bucks. This is a rare thing b/c CFB tend to not give back in a big way...PSU has seemingly had that problem.

USC is very compelling. Offensively, they might supplant OSU as having the most explosive offense in the B1G, (maybe Oregon as well). But, their defense is an abomination. Fun times coming up in 2024.

Reactions: lazydave841
Oh for sure...I was talking more about tradition and strength of brand when it came to just naturally being good to very good -- similarly to the heavyweights in CBB, they have outlier bad years, but mostly are good to great. I understand and agree with your premise that NIL is key. I just think it's the latest 'reason or excuse' for JF to use if we come up short b/c our OL gets pummeled on a big 3rd down to close the game, or Allar overthrows someone on a key play to win the game. At the end of the day, it's about execution on the field from highly rated, high star guys...NIL is a surface band-aid, player development and schematics still mean more. TAMU spent a country's GDP worth of money a couple years ago bringing in a ton of guys, and they were a disaster. It's not a guarantee that NIL tips the scales to W's.
It’s not a guarantee, but big tome NIL makes it a heck of a lot easier. You just don’t win without it. We need an Iowa/ traditional Wiscy approach of punching above our weight, but with the benefit of a very good amount of talent.

It’s not a guarantee, but big tome NIL makes it a heck of a lot easier. You just don’t win without it. We need an Iowa/ traditional Wiscy approach of punching above our weight, but with the benefit of a very good amount of talent.
This is true. But, what is your definition of winning? Do you not expect us to be in the playoffs at all, or at least make every two years or so without NIL? Like is it simply missing out every yr, or are you talking about winning a title? The best thing that happened to JF is playoff expansion b/c he can lose most (but not all now) "big games" and still make the top 12 probably some yrs. If it takes NIL for this program to simply make a playoff here and there, then IMO opinion, we have the wrong man for the job. By osmosis, we are better talentwise and program wise than 3/4 of the teams on our schedule most years...can we simply ask JF to split the big games? if it is truly that difficult, time to move on. I respectfully disagree that NIL is the absolute anchor to a program vs a sinking ship without it.

and I believe Michigan isn't exactly an NIL juggernaut and are in a similar place as PSU -- at least they were early in the game, from what I remember.

Ohio State also had a player led donation to an NIL collective from Stroud and Cardale Jones, I want to say? It was some big bucks. This is a rare thing b/c CFB tend to not give back in a big way...PSU has seemingly had that problem.

USC is very compelling. Offensively, they might supplant OSU as having the most explosive offense in the B1G, (maybe Oregon as well). But, their defense is an abomination. Fun times coming up in 2024.
I also read on their Eleven Warriors site that one of their NIL collectives - The Foundation - reeled in $1 to 1.5 million in just a week from ordinary, everyday, blue collar fans ---- the norm around a $25 to $50 dollar donation a couple of months ago. This was totally separate from the big business, businessmen, players NIL donations,,,,,,, They have - by far - the biggest fan base in the country and are obsessed with their Buckeyes

USC is very compelling. Offensively, they might supplant OSU as having the most explosive offense in the B1G

One has to wonder how USC will do this year. They were 8-5, 6th in the Pac 12. The offense was seemingly strong, but how much of that was a West coast full of mediocre defenses? How much was it Caleb Williams doing great things? Even still, the defense just drowned them.

couple of questions...is this happy valley united strictly football or other other sports - wrestling, BB etc - part of the receivers of cash?
who determines how much of the money goes to which players?...I can see HVU giving nil to someone the coaches really don't care about.
Are donations tax deductible? if yes, what is their EIN?
How much of the money goes to NIL and how much to administration?

Thanks in advance

couple of questions...is this happy valley united strictly football or other other sports - wrestling, BB etc - part of the receivers of cash?
who determines how much of the money goes to which players?...I can see HVU giving nil to someone the coaches really don't care about.
Are donations tax deductible? if yes, what is their EIN?
How much of the money goes to NIL and how much to administration?

Thanks in advance
Happy Valley United supports all sports, but this "Retain the Roar" campaign is specifically earmarked to raise $500,000 for Penn State Football.

You can make a donation (monthly/yearly/one time) to the general NIL fund and it will be split as the HVU team sees fit or you can specifically mark your donation for one or split it between multiple sports.

Contributions of this nature are not tax-deductible.

Happy Valley United supports all sports, but this "Retain the Roar" campaign is specifically earmarked to raise $500,000 for Penn State Football.

You can make a donation (monthly/yearly/one time) to the general NIL fund and it will be split as the HVU team sees fit or you can specifically mark your donation for one or split it between multiple sports.

Contributions of this nature are not tax-deductible.
And the % to players vs administration??

Reactions: bison13
My personal line is already drawn, I will never, ever donate "NIL" money to athletes that already lead incredibly privileged lives that exceed the lifestyles of 99% of humanity, athletes who already earn annual benefits in excess of a 6 figure value. We also need stop calling this NIL money as this is nothing of the sort, this is a pay for play request (aka, bribery to sign a LOI). It's even more pointless once you accept that the players you've bribed to attend will just end up transferring out soon anyway since there are zero player commitments in exchange for the money people are throwing at them.

I'm 100% over the money grab. No matter how much support you may or may not have given before, financial or otherwise, that's ignored and all that matters is the next check you write. If the team performance falls off a cliff because John Doe everyday fan doesn't donate "NIL" dollars, so be it.

Where is PSU and CFB going to draw the line? Why not put in credit card readers at every seat, and let fans pay by the play to incentivize a player to do something good on the field? Let fans pay to pick their own play calls? Pay toilets in the stadium? Make every road to the stadium a toll road? Why not monetize anything and everything if you're already comfortable asking your fans to pay up so the program can bribe players to commit to the program? CFB has gotten incredibly stupid and if they don't course correct soon, in the not too distant future they are going to find themselves wondering where the fan support and corresponding TV ratings and money have gone.

Last edited:
I would like to not only see that but also a full accounting of specifically where the funds go (by sport or athlete and type such as cash or other benefit) before I would consider donating.
I'm old enough to have been "stung" by United Way. All us "little guys" are donating via payroll deductions every month only years later to discover that the head of the organization was earning mid 6 figures, private limo with driver, luxury hotel and over the top expense account. Same, to a lesser extent, with red cross. they have a slew of high paid executives taking their cut off the top before any of the money goes to the people who need it. I don't object to making my share of donations, but I prefer to go straight to the source as opposed to giving to organizations with a large overhead.

Not saying that HVU falls into this category..just making a general statement.

My personal line is already drawn, I will never, ever donate "NIL" money to athletes that already lead incredibly privileged lives that exceed the lifestyles of 99% of humanity, athletes who already earn annual benefits in excess of a 6 figure value. We also need stop calling this NIL money as this is nothing of the sort, this is a pay for play request (aka, bribery to sign a LOI). It's even more pointless once you accept that the players you've bribed to attend will just end up transferring out soon anyway since there are zero player commitments in exchange for the money people are throwing at them.

I'm 100% over the money grab. No matter how much support you may or may not have given before, financial or otherwise, that's ignored and all that matters is the next check you write. If the team performance falls off a cliff because John Doe everyday fan doesn't donate "NIL" dollars, so be it.

Where is PSU and CFB going to draw the line? Why not put in credit card readers at every seat, and let fans pay by the play to incentivize a player to do something good on the field? Let fans pay to pick their own play calls? Pay toilets in the stadium? Make every road to the stadium a toll road? Why not monetize anything and everything if you're already comfortable asking your fans to pay up so the program can bribe players to commit to the program? CFB has gotten incredibly stupid and if they don't course correct soon, in the not too distant future they are going to find themselves wondering where the fan support and corresponding TV ratings and money have gone.
I can respect your opinion and your decision (it makes sense,) but when you read these stories about extreme NIL, particularly in this very thread with midmajor Memphis, you understand that unless the university pays up, it will not be possible to be competitive at the top level.

This is true. But, what is your definition of winning? Do you not expect us to be in the playoffs at all, or at least make every two years or so without NIL? Like is it simply missing out every yr, or are you talking about winning a title? The best thing that happened to JF is playoff expansion b/c he can lose most (but not all now) "big games" and still make the top 12 probably some yrs. If it takes NIL for this program to simply make a playoff here and there, then IMO opinion, we have the wrong man for the job. By osmosis, we are better talentwise and program wise than 3/4 of the teams on our schedule most years...can we simply ask JF to split the big games? if it is truly that difficult, time to move on. I respectfully disagree that NIL is the absolute anchor to a program vs a sinking ship without it.
I am not a fan of NIL but that ship has sailed. I don't know this for sure but my sense is we under index in NIL vs our on-field performance. For example, if we are #10 in the rankings I believe our NIL budget/donations are lower than that. Msybe #15 or 20?

I don't want NIL to become an excuse for losing big games but we need to look at it objectively and fairly. Currently we have enough talent to compete with Ohio State. In fact. Franklin has underperformed vs them. He should have 2 more wins and won 3 straight vs them ('16-'18).

Looking at where the hockey puck is going though and you could see this NIL wild wild west getting way out of hand. It could end up where the biggest NIL spenders get all the top talent and it really becomes a world of haves and have nots. In that case where PSU would have a clear and significant talent disadvantage versus the Ohio States, Oregons and USCs then you can't really blame Franklin for losing to them. To be clear, we are not there now but Ohio State with their ridiculous spending this off season may have just laid the blueprint on what will be necessary to be an elite team in the future.

Everything is almost 25% more expensive in the past 3 years now. That's why everyone is asking you to "gimme more money". Unfortunately, most don't have more money to give.

I've actually had to cut back my charitable giving until things improve. I need to generate a certain rate of growth to continue to give at higher levels. I'm too young and inflation has remained too high for me to erode my net worth.
Then you invested poorly. You didn't know there was inflation after 1917-1918. Gee, economics classes are your friend. If you invested in the spearheads of inflation you would have funds to give to charity. The whole world sat on zero interest for way too long... Hearing this gets old.

Everything is almost 25% more expensive in the past 3 years now. That's why everyone is asking you to "gimme more money". Unfortunately, most don't have more money to give.

I've actually had to cut back my charitable giving until things improve. I need to generate a certain rate of growth to continue to give at higher levels. I'm too young and inflation has remained too high for me to erode my net worth.
Those who thought essentially zero interest rates in the world economy would last forever after lasting for way too long were asleep. Oh well.

I'm with you on this.

This is delusional

We have been not even close to Ohio St in talent for many years now.
Here is the re-ranked comparison of recruiting classes that impacted Franklin coached teams (hired in 2014):

2024: #3 vs #14
2023: #4 vs #14
2022: #4 vs #8
2021: #2 vs #21
2020: #5 vs #15
2019: #14 vs #12
2018: #2 vs #6
2017: #2 vs #15
2016: #4 vs #20
2015: #7 vs #14
2014: #3 vs #24
2013: #2 vs #33
2012: #5 vs #47
2011: #6 vs #31

In that time Ohio St has had 31 5-stars and PSU has had 9. The rosters haven't been even close to the same. Ohio St's roster has only been on par with Alabama and Georgia for recent memory and Franklin elevated PSU's from below top 25 to about the mid-teens.
OSU also had higher recruiting rankings than PSU back in the Paterno years but PSU was still able to win 39% of the games between the two teams. Some will say that OSU has become much stronger since then which is a fair argument but I think there was more to it than that.

Back then PSU had plenty of 8-3 type seasons but once every 4 or 5 years they fielded a championship caliber team. They often did that when they had a lot of key players return for their senior seasons and those senior laden teams were able to beat a younger OSU team. It seems to me that more of our star players leave early for the NFL these days although I don't have any data to back that up. I don't know how much of that is Franklin (who tells recruits to graduate in 3 years) vs how much is simply that the game ($$$) has changed.

I am not a fan of NIL but that ship has sailed. I don't know this for sure but my sense is we under index in NIL vs our on-field performance. For example, if we are #10 in the rankings I believe our NIL budget/donations are lower than that. Msybe #15 or 20?

I don't want NIL to become an excuse for losing big games but we need to look at it objectively and fairly. Currently we have enough talent to compete with Ohio State. In fact. Franklin has underperformed vs them. He should have 2 more wins and won 3 straight vs them ('16-'18).

Looking at where the hockey puck is going though and you could see this NIL wild wild west getting way out of hand. It could end up where the biggest NIL spenders get all the top talent and it really becomes a world of haves and have nots. In that case where PSU would have a clear and significant talent disadvantage versus the Ohio States, Oregons and USCs then you can't really blame Franklin for losing to them. To be clear, we are not there now but Ohio State with their ridiculous spending this off season may have just laid the blueprint on what will be necessary to be an elite team in the future.
NIL isn't an excuse. Franklin's job is to secure NIL money to get the best players. If he can't then it's his fault we lost or can't compete.

Reactions: DUNNELLONFLBUCK

If you go by this PSU is 12th in NIL money

You may come to realize that there are more important things in life and more productive ways of spending your time and money than university sports.

You may come to realize that there are more important things in life and more productive ways of spending your time and money than university sports.
People can spend their time and money however they want. You saying there's more productive ways is an opinion not a fact. People should spend their money and time on what they enjoy not what you think they should.

Why are you posting on a PSU message forum? There are more important things in life.

• Haha
Reactions: canuckhal
People can spend their time and money however they want. You saying there's more productive ways is an opinion not a fact. People should spend their money and time on what they enjoy not what you think they should.
I agree with you. It is my onion and I said "may" so not sure why you think my opinion is fact, but okay. I really don't care how you spend your time and money. Whatever makes you happy.

But I will continue to donate my money to local charities rather to PSU NIL Coming from a PSU grad who had season tix and used to prioritize PSU football. I still follow but there are other things I value more these days. Peace to you brother or sister.

Reactions: EdwardoCarrachio
I agree with you. It is my onion and I said "may" so not sure why you think my opinion is fact, but okay. I really don't care how you spend your time and money. Whatever makes you happy.

But I will continue to donate my money to local charities rather to PSU NIL Coming from a PSU grad who had season tix and used to prioritize PSU football. I still follow but there are other things I value more these days. Peace to you brother or sister.
Good for you...again this is you coming across as holier than thou. Your point is clear and you don't owning it directly is worse than this condesending nonsense.

NIL isn't an excuse. Franklin's job is to secure NIL money to get the best players. If he can't then it's his fault we lost or can't compete.
Franklin makes more money in a year than most people will see in their lifetime. Maybe he should contribute a large portion of his pay to the NIL collective? (j/k, I assume that's against NCAA rules)

25% cumulative inflation in 4 years is criminal no matter how you want to pitch it. It is a theft of 25% on every American for life for everything that they ever buy. I do have considerable assets that have inflated in value in my rental properties, but those assets aren't liquid.

99% of 401k and other retirement account participants are buying a mix of stocks and bonds (which also have had horrible ROI during this period). 25% cumulative inflation and market performance that barely kept up with it will delay the average American retirement by 6 years or more (3 years of lost compounding to inflation-adjusted near zero returns and then 3 more years to overcome a loss of 25% purchasing power to inflation) to achieve the same standard of living as if market ROIs and inflation were at historical averages over this period.

Further, for those not heavily invested (the lower and lower middle class), they simply had 25% purchasing power for life stolen from them. Inflation is the most regressive tax there is. But hey, you seem to imply that you are doing well. Who cares if most Americans are struggling and those with the least are struggling the most, right? Sometimes it is about more than just you and your pile of assets.
Are you a bot? You have to be. We live in a time when you can make investments faster and change them quicker than in any time in history. If you are a bimbo that just relies on throwing s*** at the same old garbage in the NASDAQ the doll that's your problem. I've made 100% profit with seven transactions in the past 6 months so screw your theory that you can't make money during times of inflation you are misleading people and you're a disgrace.

Are you a bot? You have to be. We live in a time when you can make investments faster and change them quicker than in any time in history. If you are a bimbo that just relies on throwing s*** at the same old garbage in the NASDAQ the doll that's your problem. I've made 100% profit with seven transactions in the past 6 months so screw your theory that you can't make money during times of inflation you are misleading people and you're a disgrace.
All he does is post same shit in every thread and wonders why it eventually gets moved. The thread is about nil and he gets back into inflation and same shit every post of his.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT