ADVERTISEMENT

Caitlin Clarks NIL deals

Her endorsements will be in the tens of millions of dollars. but her WNBA rookie contract is laughable.

Wow, those numbers are revealing.

Some smart-aleck on Twitter yesterday said anyone protesting the paltry salaries of WNBA players should be forced to watch one of the league's games.

To which some other smart-aleck replied that he'd rather sit on the TV and watch the couch.

Wow, those numbers are revealing.

Some smart-aleck on Twitter yesterday said anyone protesting the paltry salaries of WNBA players should be forced to watch one of the league's games.

To which some other smart-aleck replied that he'd rather sit on the TV and watch the couch.
LOL...of that, she has to pay an agent and whomever else might be on her individual "team". So it is really almost minimum wage. It is hard to imagine they can make ends meet as they can't live with family (since most are out of town). In fact, even without NIL, they are probably making more in college than the WNBA as they at least get room and board. For Caitlin, specifically, she is going to make millions in endorsements so she is going to be just fine.

Reactions: Jerry
I'm a women's college basketball fan (at least to an extent, always follow PSU and will watch NCAA tourney games of non-PSU teams). And if not for the fact that the WNBA presents good gambling opportunities, I probably wouldn't watch a minute of it, outside of maybe the finals (I'd watch pretty much any live sporting event if there was enough on the line). I'm sure I'm the type of fan they'd love to capture to watch more, but even Clark won't make my interest increase in the league one bit.

LOL...of that, she has to pay an agent and whomever else might be on her individual "team". So it is really almost minimum wage. It is hard to imagine they can make ends meet as they can't live with family (since most are out of town). In fact, even without NIL, they are probably making more in college than the WNBA as they at least get room and board. For Caitlin, specifically, she is going to make millions in endorsements so she is going to be just fine.
And they are still making about 3x what minor league baseball players are pulling in at the lower levels...those are the guys that are really scraping to get by while chasing their dreams.

And they are still making about 3x what minor league baseball players are pulling in at the lower levels...those are the guys that are really scraping to get by while chasing their dreams.
yep. most of those lower-level guys could go to college on scholarships. But they, at least, have dreams of big paydays at the end. The WNBA is the pinnacle of women's pro basketball. There. is no upside or pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.

A good friend of mine was an AA baseball player several decades ago. After graduating college, three teams told him they were going to draft him so don't worry about getting a job. Out of college, he joined athletes in action tour of Alaska and Japan. He hurt his wrist in the second game but because the team size was limited, had to keep playing. As a result, he didn't play very well. Draft day came and he didn't get drafted. The Yankees asked him to sign on as a free agent and they'd give him room and board plus a very small additional salary. So he signed up and went to a low-level minor league team in NYC. He gets there and the apartment has two bedrooms, six players and is not air-conditioned. He lasted two weeks and took a job in a bank where he was making really good money after a few years. He believes he had the talent at the low level to move up. In fact, he felt he was AA-level talent and would have been in single A within a few months. But just couldn't stand living with five guys who didn't speak English in a bad part of NY. Its great to have options!

Nobody watches the WNBA so there’s no audience. I’m not sure companies are going to shell out big money for a player with no audience.

She has already built brand equity via ans in synergy with Iowa, B18 Ten sports, and the women's college game. That the WNBA is a lame generic league that paid less than some Russian clubs before 2022. There are and will be legions of chili dog nerds in the midwest and elsewhere buying basketball jerseys for the daughters they cant beat in a race around the cornfield.

She has already built brand equity via ans in synergy with Iowa, B18 Ten sports, and the women's college game. That the WNBA is a lame generic league that paid less than some Russian clubs before 2022. There are and will be legions of chili dog nerds in the midwest and elsewhere buying basketball jerseys for the daughters they cant beat in a race around the cornfield.
WNBA has certainly been weak. But Caitlin has transformed the game at the college level. 18 million TV viewers? My God. If she can get 10% of that at the WNBA level it is a transformative game-changer. My point is that we see the WNBA as what has been. But we may be in for a round of "what is going to be".

I read that Iowa City stated that they believe her college career brought over $80m in revenue to the city. Wow. Again, if half true, a game changer (and why cities build billion dollar stadiums for sports teams)

Its been a lot of money for no return. Viewership demographics haven't exactly changed for the NBA over the years,
so far. I agree. But the NCAA finals drew 18,700,000. The men's finals drew 4,000,000 less. So far, the WNBA hasn't been successful but until Caitlin, the same would be true about women's BBall too. We'll see where it goes but I wouldn't rule out a major lift for the WNBA.

so far. I agree. But the NCAA finals drew 18,700,000. The men's finals drew 4,000,000 less. So far, the WNBA hasn't been successful but until Caitlin, the same would be true about women's BBall too. We'll see where it goes but I wouldn't rule out a major lift for the WNBA.

Before Caitlin there were other superstar WNCAA players.

She isn't the first.

The men's NCAA final was going to be lopsided. It isn't a good benchmark.

A better one would be average MNCAA game vs women's.

She isn't the first.

LOL...18,000,000 viewers. Argue with that.

She isn't the first.

The men's final got ratings in line with the norm...the women's got that bump based on the hype of everything Clark was doing down the stretch. It's not like everyone will be tuning in for her WNBA game on a random Tuesday in July (or was even tuning in for her early season games this past year). Hopefully this will bring more eyes to women's basketball, but I highly doubt that this will turn into any type of trend.

The men's final got ratings in line with the norm...the women's got that bump based on the hype of everything Clark was doing down the stretch. It's not like everyone will be tuning in for her WNBA game on a random Tuesday in July (or was even tuning in for her early season games this past year). Hopefully this will bring more eyes to women's basketball, but I highly doubt that this will turn into any type of trend.
Agreed but if she can drive average viewership up from 750k to 1.5k (still a fraction of the last few NCAA games she played in) that would be transformational.

Agreed but if she can drive average viewership up from 750k to 1.5k (still a fraction of the last few NCAA games she played in) that would be transformational.
I think that's realistic for her first game or two, or late in the playoffs...More likely is that she drives it from 750k to 850k, which is still a big deal.

I think that's realistic for her first game or two, or late in the playoffs...More likely is that she drives it from 750k to 850k, which is still a big deal.
well, my current company is trying to build a new brand in a different market. I was just having this convo with my MKT team. It is like inertia. It is hard to get people to change habits. You just keep chipping away.

For the WNBA, they have to hope that she is the catalyst. That a lot of new eyeballs were watching her and the product captured their interest. Then, as someone else said, perhaps they'll tune in for her first few games. I am sure the NBA will be marketing the hell out of them. After that, the product has to carry value. If so, people will come back. If not, back to the crappy contracts and pay.

The big question is if the product is compelling enough to get repeat viewers. There are a lot of "stars" in the WNBA and Caitlin isn't the only one. So the issue is that they'll get the eyeballs, which they've never had before. But they'll need to capture viewers by featuring superstars and getting people engaged. Can they do it? Well, at least they now have a shot.

Maybe so but I have never seen a WNBA star in commercials on Orlando, network, or cable TV. Orlando has a WNBA team.
Caitlyn is on TV all the time here, State Farm and others.
Bullcorn, as usual. She WAS on TV because the NCAA Women’s Tournament was going on. It’s over and so is the Draft. She will disappear until they want to use her again. Today, they’d have to pay ME to watch either the NBA or WNBA. Team play is dead.

Who is “she”? I wasn’t commenting on any single person, I said that the salaries they make are what drove players to go play in Russia in the offseason.

And anyways, there are plenty of people that make 200k that still have side hustles to continue accumulating $.
The post was about Brittney Griner, so that’s who I was talking about. And how many of those people are going to Russia to do their side hustle?

I'm a women's college basketball fan (at least to an extent, always follow PSU and will watch NCAA tourney games of non-PSU teams). And if not for the fact that the WNBA presents good gambling opportunities, I probably wouldn't watch a minute of it, outside of maybe the finals (I'd watch pretty much any live sporting event if there was enough on the line). I'm sure I'm the type of fan they'd love to capture to watch more, but even Clark won't make my interest increase in the league one bit.
The WNBA has been a failure for one reason, women don’t watch. Female figure skaters, gymnasts and tennis players do well because women watch them. Until women start watching the WNBA, buying merchandise and going to games, it won’t be successful.

Reactions: 91Joe95
The post was about Brittney Griner, so that’s who I was talking about. And how many of those people are going to Russia to do their side hustle?
The last number I saw said that about half of the players in the WNBA were heading overseas to play in other countries...and one of the primary places they go is Russia. It was a lot more than Griner, as several players were going to Russia each offseason (before the war).

The WNBA has been a failure for one reason, women don’t watch. Female figure skaters, gymnasts and tennis players do well because women watch them. Until women start watching the WNBA, buying merchandise and going to games, it won’t be successful.
Do female figure skaters or gymnasts really do well, outside of the Olympics (and endorsements that come along with them)? I'd think the biggest issue with all of those that holds them back from making big $ is the lack of viewers, outside of one event every 4 years.

The last number I saw said that about half of the players in the WNBA were heading overseas to play in other countries...and one of the primary places they go is Russia. It was a lot more than Griner, as several players were going to Russia each offseason (before the war).
My question was in response to you saying that a lot of people making over $200K take on side hustles….how many go to Russia to do it? And I’m assuming women’s leagues in other countries actually make money…that’s why players here have to do that, their league isn’t making any money.

Do female figure skaters or gymnasts really do well, outside of the Olympics (and endorsements that come along with them)? I'd think the biggest issue with all of those that holds them back from making big $ is the lack of viewers, outside of one event every 4 years.
Lack of female viewers. Male viewers do a fine job of making the NBA, NFL, MLB, and college sports money and there are more women in this country than men. As far as the Olympics, that’s what those sports have and they are more popular than most of the men’s Olympic sports (that’s what I meant by them doing well).

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT