ADVERTISEMENT

After several months of struggling with this issue, I am at my wit's end...

psuro

Aug 24, 2001
The corner table at the Skellar
I just don't understand the point of this commercial- other than the obvious regarding ease of banking...

Why is it they are in the middle of nowhere and did not stop and get gas?
Why are they driving such an old car?
Why did the driver not realize he was low on fuel....before he was low on fuel?
Why are they constantly smiling about nothing at all?
How old is he that he still gets checks from his grandmother?
Why don't his friends offer to pay for gas?
Why are there no girls?
And....why the hell don't they get haircuts?

I just don't understand the point of this commercial- other than the obvious regarding ease of banking...

Why are there no girls?

They're stoned!

Why are there no girls?

Another question... how are they able to hold a card with simply a thumb and forefinger in the backseat when supposedly driving with the roof down?

Finally: Why didn't he cash the check sooner?

Goodness, clearly you aren't the target demographic... I'll help you out.

Appears they are out West, most likely near the California/Nevada border... could be quite rural out there, limited places to get gas.

Only thing these millennials could afford to buy.

Appears that the driver is a California native, and likely high. Also, the car is old, likely drinks a lot of fuel especially climbing those hills.

See above, likely high.

Us millennials still get birthday checks from their grandparents well into their late 20s (I still do haha)

They spent it all on weed and don't carry cash -- only use Venmo.

Why are there no girls?

My guess is they are driving out to meet up with them... probably a weekend out on Lake Tahoe.

Hipsters.

Reactions: Gnat91
Goodness, clearly you aren't the target demographic... I'll help you out.

Appears they are out West, most likely near the California/Nevada border... could be quite rural out there, limited places to get gas.

Only thing these millennials could afford to buy.

Appears that the driver is a California native, and likely high. Also, the car is old, likely drinks a lot of fuel especially climbing those hills.

See above, likely high.

Us millennials still get birthday checks from their grandparents well into their late 20s (I still do haha)

They spent it all on weed and don't carry cash -- only use Venmo.

Why are there no girls?

My guess is they are driving out to meet up with them... probably a weekend out on Lake Tahoe.

Hipsters.

All acceptable answers. Now tell your friends to stay off my lawn.

Why are there no girls?

I have no answers, but I will use this as an excuse to throw out my favorite current commercial, Marathon Gas (Full Tank of Freedom). I love the song and the smile on the girl at the 5 second mark.

Why are there no girls?

They didn't have any money.

They don't have any money.

He was clueless. That's probably why he doesn't have much money.

They are clueless.

They don't have any money either.

Why are there no girls?
Girls don't want clueless guys that don't have any money.

See that was my thought. But then...I thought that a bank would not show millenials driving around stoned.
They don't care if the money smells like hashish. Stoners need a bank account too. :D

Why are there no girls?

Thoughts and prayers, Ro. Thoughts and prayers.

Good song (except it's the wrong version), so I gave it a pass on the details. But you just could not leave well enough alone, and now I'll view it from your pov from now on. You, sir, have harshed the commercial's mellow for all of us. Happy? :mad:

Thoughts and prayers, Ro. Thoughts and prayers.

Good song (except it's the wrong version), so I gave it a pass on the details. But you just could not leave well enough alone, and now I'll view it from your pov from now on. You, sir, have harshed the commercial's mellow for all of us. Happy? :mad:

It's one of the services I provide.

Reactions: Bob78
Solution below. See, you forgot all about it already.

1407329052-post-hot-girls.jpg

Why are there no girls?

What the hell do they have in the trunk!

The commercial needs some OUTRAGE. :eek: to have some degree of credibility.

It's probably the grandmother, and the check wasn't a birthday check, but she was simply paying the ransom demand.

I agree.

My theory is that these hoods broke into an elderly woman's home and threw her into the trunk of her car which they are now using as their own vehicle.

This explains the vehicle's age. Grandma bought it original and kept it in her garage.

This is why they are all smiling.

Problem though... granny didn't have a lot of gas in the tank and they want to dump her body way out in the forest.

Hey, check the glove compartment.

Awesome news... a ready to mail card to her grandson who is only 10. (notice the envelope isn't torn open it is open as if never closed properly) The check is in there but it is not yet written out. No problem... just write it out to me and I'll use the funds to get gas.

Ha that's great (smiles all around)

Grandma is still alive, or could be (hence the need for the man to sit on the trunk and play the drums when they stop for gas to muffle the noise) but that's taken care of.

Smiles again.

LdN

Last edited:
I agree.

My theory is that these hoods broke into an elderly woman's home and threw her into the trunk of her car which they are now using as their own vehicle.

This explains the vehicle's age. Grandma bought it original and kept it in her garage.

Problem though... granny didn't have a lot of gas in the tank and they want to dump her body way out in the forest.

Awesome news... a ready to mail card to her grandson who is only 10. The check is in there but it is not yet written out. No problem... just write it out to me and I'll use the funds to get gas.

Grandma is still alive, or could be (hence the need for the man to sit on the trunk and play the drums when they stop for gas to muffle the noise) but that's taken care of.

Smiles again.

LdN

This could be the basis for a new Stephen King novel. Or maybe a SNL skit.

I will go with SNL skit.

And the answer is............it's an advert so it doesn't matter.

It obviously got your attention and kept it (for months??? Yeah, something's wrong there). You even posted it to a social media site and made us all watch it, which would suggest some pretty intense engagement. In the media business that's what we call a home run. For someone who's built his brand on pictures of beautiful women who don't really have anything to do with sports, I would think you understand the concept.

Thanks for playing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sharkies

It obviously got your attention and kept it (for months??? Yeah, something's wrong there). You even posted it to a social media site and made us all watch it, which would suggest some pretty intense engagement. In the media business that's what we call a home run. For someone who's built his brand on pictures of beautiful women who don't really have anything to do with sports, I would think you understand the concept.

Thanks for playing.
Psst. The post was intended to be comedic. I would hope you understand the concept.

Thanks for playing.

You are welcome - although I am not sure if I consider this board a social media site. If you read through the posts, you will realize that my shallow existence means this is a big deal for me.

I also want to thank you for playing along and taking my t-I-c comments so seriously and absolutely - to quote your statement:

"Thanks for playing".

Psst. The post was intended to be comedic. I would hope you understand the concept.
Well I don't take myself too seriously either. It's a little jab in fun. That's alright, I've been told before my sarcasm doesn't translate well to print.

Well I don't take myself too seriously either. It's a little jab in fun. That's alright, I've been told before my sarcasm doesn't translate well to print.

It's OK - you just need a little seasoning.

I have been talking to the other coaches and we think you have a lot to offer the program, but we also think we are gonna red shirt you this season, so you can get a little seasoning. But, down the road - you have a bright future and are glad to have you be part of the program.

You are welcome - although I am not sure if I consider this board a social media site. If you read through the posts, you will realize that my shallow existence means this is a big deal for me.

I also want to thank you for playing along and taking my t-I-c comments so seriously and absolutely - to quote your statement:

"Thanks for playing".
Ugh, whatever guys. Didn't think you'd get all "butt hurt". NFM

It's OK - you just need a little seasoning.

I have been talking to the other coaches and we think you have a lot to offer the program, but we also think we are gonna red shirt you this season, so you can get a little seasoning. But, down the road - you have a bright future and are glad to have you be part of the program.
OH wow! That's cool.....but I don't think I have the time to do what you guys do. You're right though, I need a lot of seasoning. Just not sure my hearts in it.

I agree.

Awesome news... a ready to mail card to her grandson who is only 10. (notice the envelope isn't torn open it is open as if never closed properly) The check is in there but it is not yet written out. No problem... just write it out to me and I'll use the funds to get gas.

Smiles again.

LdN

Holy shit! I rewatched it and you're exactly right! Look closer at the check.... the grandmother's name is "Mary Miller".... but the check is then written out to "Tom Mills"... Changes the locale as well... Mary's address is Oakham, MA... not sure how far from there these guys would have to drive to find woods like shown in the advert, but probably could be Vermont.

I was thinking it was a Fairlane. Really a nice car either way.
It could've been either the 1966 Fairlane or the 1966 Galaxie. I looked it up and both models came in convertibles that year. My dad bought a used 1960 Fairlane, the one with the unusual rear end design for a Ford.

Seriously guys keep going. I'm actually going to take this thread and put it on a testimonial it's so good..............LOL (sorry, forgot that one on the last post). My bad.

OH wow! That's cool.....but I don't think I have the time to do what you guys do. You're right though, I need a lot of seasoning. Just not sure my hearts in it.
Speaking of seasoning. Do you season your steaks? If so, what do you season them with?

Holy shit! I rewatched it and you're exactly right! Look closer at the check.... the grandmother's name is "Mary Miller".... but the check is then written out to "Tom Mills"... Changes the locale as well... Mary's address is Oakham, MA... not sure how far from there these guys would have to drive to find woods like shown in the advert, but probably could be Vermont.
There's plenty of mountains and woods in W. Mass. Berkshires.

I just rewatched the part with the check. It's only for $20 bucks. Definitely not meant for an adult.

You can tell they are hoods because of their long hair and sunglasses.

LdN

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT