ADVERTISEMENT

Absurdly early PSU vs Iowa thread, because why not?

NittanyChris

Dec 3, 2001
OK, just for s**** and giggles, let's take a look at a PSU vs Iowa matchup if ALL of our guys are a go with the new rule about not losing a year this season. Yes, I know that some of these guys might not go because of injury or some other reason. Yet, for the sake of this exercise let's roll with it, just for FUN!

25 S Lee TF over R Howard, Iowa 5-0
33 RBY DEC over DeSanto, Iowa 5-3
41 N Lee DEC over Eierman, PSU 6-5
49 Bartlett DEC over Murin, PSU 9-5 (Yes, Bartlett going up is not ideal, but suspicion is this kid is ready to roll from day one.)
57 Young DEC over Berge, PSU 9-8
65 Marinelli MAJ over J Lee, Iowa 12-9
74 Kemerer DEC over Starocci, Iowa 15-9
84 Brooks DEC over Assad, Iowa 15-12
97 Warner vs Beard - TOSS-UP, Warner slight favorite
HW Kerkvliet DEC over Cassioppi, 15-15

So it's 15-15 with 97 deciding it. Thoughts? Too much homerism? Realistic? Some major questions for debate:
1. Does Brooks major Assad this season?
2. Is Berge fully healthy and, if so, does he beat a still emaciated from the cut, Young?
3. Would Howard get pinned?
4. I feel good about N Lee v Eierman, but is that misguided?
5. Does RBY remain in DeSanto's fragile head?

Thoughts? Too much homerism? Realistic? Some major questions for debate:
2. Is Berge fully healthy and, if so, does he beat a still emaciated from the cut, Young?

Disclaimer: I am a Hawkeye fan, so....

I feel that your picks are fair when looking at the matchups in a vacuum and as a PSU fan. Of course you should feel good about RBY and N Lee winning. Recent history also says that you should feel good about Bartlett and Beard. Any one of those matches could be a victory for the PSU wrestler.

However, to have all of them win on the same night seems unlikely. Eierman and Desanto already own wins over Lee and RBY. Add in the close match that RBY and Desanto just had at Bigs, in addition to Lee's loss to Pletcher, and either team's fans should feel like their guys will come away with a W. In my mind, they are both 50/50 type matches.

Bartlett is a freshman and as you said, would be up in weight(so is Murin). Thinking that he can win and expecting him to win are two very different things. I'm going Murin until I see Bartlett get some quality(non-freestlye) wins against college guys.

I have not seen many of Beard's matches, so can't really speak to whether or not he is/should be considered a toss-up with Warner. My gut has always told me to go with the current AA. So going with Warner as the favorite, until Beard proves that he is as good as some on here are saying.

Brooks is the real deal, and I expect he will be a title contender the remainder of his career. Keep in mind that Assad was also a true freshman last year, so it's entirely possible that he makes huge gains as well. I still think that Brooks will win, but would be surprised if it was by major.

Berge and Young are both huge question marks. I sure hope that Berge can get(and remain) healthy. Was it the cut that got to Young last year, undisclosed injury, something else? Would really like to see the Young that took out Deakin 2x at NCAA's, but who knows....

In a nutshell, I think that Iowa will come out on top this year, with a somewhat comfortable win.

*IF* both teams return everyone for the following year, then we are going to be in for an EPIC showdown!!!!

I feel that your picks are fair when looking at the matchups in a vacuum and as a PSU fan. Of course you should feel good about RBY and N Lee winning. Recent history also says that you should feel good about Bartlett and Beard. Any one of those matches could be a victory for the PSU wrestler.

However, to have all of them win on the same night seems unlikely. Eierman and Desanto already own wins over Lee and RBY. Add in the close match that RBY and Desanto just had at Bigs, in addition to Lee's loss to Pletcher, and either team's fans should feel like their guys will come away with a W. In my mind, they are both 50/50 type matches.

Bartlett is a freshman and as you said, would be up in weight(so is Murin). Thinking that he can win and expecting him to win are two very different things. I'm going Murin until I see Bartlett get some quality(non-freestlye) wins against college guys.

I have not seen many of Beard's matches, so can't really speak to whether or not he is/should be considered a toss-up with Warner. My gut has always told me to go with the current AA. So going with Warner as the favorite, until Beard proves that he is as good as some on here are saying.

Brooks is the real deal, and I expect he will be a title contender the remainder of his career. Keep in mind that Assad was also a true freshman last year, so it's entirely possible that he makes huge gains as well. I still think that Brooks will win, but would be surprised if it was by major.

Berge and Young are both huge question marks. I sure hope that Berge can get(and remain) healthy. Was it the cut that got to Young last year, undisclosed injury, something else? Would really like to see the Young that took out Deakin 2x at NCAA's, but who knows....

In a nutshell, I think that Iowa will come out on top this year, with a somewhat comfortable win.

*IF* both teams return everyone for the following year, then we are going to be in for an EPIC showdown!!!!

All fair points. I think Nick Lee really jumped levels last season, so I do feel pretty good about the pick over Eierman. I think RBY has gotten over the hump in his DeSanto matchup, and I believe that there is a type of mental barrier that DeSanto has to overcome at this point with RBY. I have no idea how going up a weight will impact Bartlett, but when all is said and done, I think Bartlett will be thought of very highly, even among the PSU greats.
As for Warner, I agree he's slightly favored. The reason I make it a toss-up is simply his inconsistency. I think even Iowa fans can honestly say they're not sure which Warner will show up on a given night. He can be awesome one match and downright pedestrian the next.
As for Brooks, I didn't predict a Major, but it would not surprise me in the least. Brooks will be a beast this season on his way to becoming an all-time great. I also think Kervliet's athleticism will simply be to much for Cassioppi.
Anyway, I look forward to the match! Hopefully, they're able to get the whole season in without too much Covid interference. Cheers!

Jrod, who do you have if Big Cass and Kerk square off?

OK, just for s**** and giggles, let's take a look at a PSU vs Iowa matchup if ALL of our guys are a go with the new rule about not losing a year this season. Yes, I know that some of these guys might not go because of injury or some other reason. Yet, for the sake of this exercise let's roll with it, just for FUN!

25 S Lee TF over R Howard, Iowa 5-0
33 RBY DEC over DeSanto, Iowa 5-3
41 N Lee DEC over Eierman, PSU 6-5
49 Bartlett DEC over Murin, PSU 9-5 (Yes, Bartlett going up is not ideal, but suspicion is this kid is ready to roll from day one.)
57 Young DEC over Berge, PSU 9-8
65 Marinelli MAJ over J Lee, Iowa 12-9
74 Kemerer DEC over Starocci, Iowa 15-9
84 Brooks DEC over Assad, Iowa 15-12
97 Warner vs Beard - TOSS-UP, Warner slight favorite
HW Kerkvliet DEC over Cassioppi, 15-15

So it's 15-15 with 97 deciding it. Thoughts? Too much homerism? Realistic? Some major questions for debate:

I’m a fan of neither but this seems pretty fair. I think the main changes I’d go are:

Lee major Howard
Murin dec Bartlett
I’m leaning give Beard the dec over Warner

Which would be 17-15 Iowa if my math is right.

But when was the last time PSU didn’t score any bonus points?

Jrod, who do you have if Big Cass and Kerk square off?

I love Big Cass and am very happy that he's a Hawkeye. He is going to score the Hawks a lot of points and should be on the podium every year. But after the performance that Kerkvliet just had against Hemida, it would be very hard to pick against him. I think that Kerk is just now starting to get used to his "man body" and is going to be a major force both in the NCAAs and freestyle circut.

Jrod65, That is a fair and thoughtful breakdown. Thank you for representing the Iowa fanbase well. For my liking, there has been too much vitriol among too many in the two fanbases the last few years. This upcoming season the two teams seem to be very evenly matched. You can't beat that as a wrestling fan. I can't wait for the upcoming season! The uniqueness of the situation and the likelihood that all the big guns for all the teams will be wrestling has me more excited for the start of this season than most.

Last edited:
Brooks MAJ Assad
Kerkvliet MAJ/PIN Cassioppi

The “Brooks has jumped levels” thing.

And, Kerkvliet is simply a better wrestler than Cassioppi. Like, a lot better. Cassioppi’s only chance of winning is catching Kerkvliet in a bad shot and putting him on his back. Otherwise, Kerkvliet has manhandled much better men.

PSU simply has better training partners and coaches for upper weight wrestlers. Brooks and Kerkvliet are getting more, better reps with *much* better partners.

Last edited:
I had to relive last years defeat in my mind again after reading this thread. Most of these predictions are fair, but as we saw last year, probably not what will occur.

With Brooks attitude, partners, and coaches it's likely that he has made that leap that so many guys make after freshman year. Predicting a Major though just sets up disappointment. It's not like Assad was a slouch and he's likely to have made a jump as well.

Is Iowa for sure on the schedule? B1G has been ignorant in the past.....

Reactions: Sullivan
I had to relive last years defeat in my mind again after reading this thread. Most of these predictions are fair, but as we saw last year, probably not what will occur.

With Brooks attitude, partners, and coaches it's likely that he has made that leap that so many guys make after freshman year. Predicting a Major though just sets up disappointment. It's not like Assad was a slouch and he's likely to have made a jump as well.

Is Iowa for sure on the schedule? B1G has been ignorant in the past.....

The BIG schedule rotation has been the same since MD & Rutgers joined so we should get Iowa at home this season. Hopefully in the BJC so we can get at least some fans. Cael said maybe as many as 6K in the Baschamania interview.

Reactions: liex26
No knock on Assad, but was he ever on AB’s level? Aaron would most likely be contending for a WORLD title, had they not canceled JRs.
I consider Brooks to be right there on the Nolf/Bo/DT/Ed level of greatness,and we all know those guys were majoring guys of Assad’s caliber by this time of their careers. I’m confident in a MD pick.

Reactions: PASLP2
No knock on Assad, but was he ever on AB’s level? Aaron would most likely be contending for a WORLD title, had they not canceled JRs.
I consider Brooks to be right there on the Nolf/Bo/DT/Ed level of greatness,and we all know those guys were majoring guys of Assad’s caliber by this time of their careers. I’m confident in a MD pick.
Two problems with this:
1. Assad and Starocci have split matches in the past, and Assad is a Cadet world medalist.

2. There's no indication Assad will give up enough pts to get majored -- he has given up 8 pts once in his career.

It could happen, but predicting with confidence isn't supported by the evidence.

Two problems with this:
1. Assad and Starocci have split matches in the past, and Assad is a Cadet world medalist.

2. There's no indication Assad will give up enough pts to get majored -- he has given up 8 pts once in his career.

It could happen, but predicting with confidence isn't supported by the evidence.
Maybe you’ll change your mind Tuesday night.

Is Assad on the card Tuesday night, where he might give up 12+ pts?

I think it's more likely that Brooks catches Assad and pins him. Assad's style isn't prone to giving up that many points.

It was in jest E-J, just referencing 82’s BOLD prediction of CStar knocking off Kemerer. I guess you missed that one,as you never said a word about that prediction, or maybe there’s the off chance you actually agree with him??

It was in jest E-J, just referencing 82’s BOLD prediction of CStar knocking off Kemerer. I guess you missed that one,as you never said a word about that prediction, or maybe there’s the off chance you actually agree with him??
He didn't ask if Starocci was ever on Kemerer's level.

Starocci will surprise some folks this year. He will take some lumps at the beginning of the year. I for one will not be surprised if he is wrestling Saturday night in March.
I don't think Starocci will surprise many people this year. Ben Askren has already picked him as an NCAA finalist and has stated he could see him beating Kemerer. And frankly, I think he will hand out more lumps than he takes early in his career. Watching him in person is like watching a hockey game in person versus on TV. The speed of both is jarring to the senses the first time you see it.
giphy.gif

PSU nearly walked out of Carver last year with a victory. I would love to see a another match similar to the Tosu match from a few years ago where the Psu underdogs prevail.

It will be an interesting year if everyone goes all-in ... with a free year, why wouldn't they.

One thing for certain, The Hawks won't be the prohibitive favorite they were last year. We will be counting on a lot of young talent, but history suggests we have every right to expect Fr and redshirt Fr to excel.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT