ADVERTISEMENT

Aaron Seidel

You have to have an address in the district. I don't think you have to pay, though (I could be wrong about that). When Kerry Collins transferred to Wilson in the 1990s, he lived with his aunt and uncle and QB'd Wilson to the 4A state finals. The rules at the time were that he didn't have to sit out for transferring for athletics as long as both principals signed off on it.

The rules changed in 2007 so that you have to sit out a year if the transfer was for "athletic reasons" regardless. When Wyomissing won the state 2A football title in 2012, their QB Corey Unger transferred from Fleetwood when his dad rented an apartment in Wyomissing the previous December. They claimed they moved for academic reasons, but Fleetwood contested that it was for athletic reasons since he held every Fleetwood passing record at the time but the team won 2 games in 3 years while Wyomissing was a state contender that was forced to use an all-county WR at QB after their 2011 starter graduated. The BCIAA ruled in favor of Fleetwood and Unger was forced to sit out until Dec 1 (one year from the move date), which coincided with the 2012 state QF game, so he was only allowed to play for Wyomissing for three games, the state QF, SF, and Final, all of which he won.

This was a very contentious case because Wyomissing at the time was vastly superior to Fleetwood in both academics and athletics, so a transfer for academics wouldn't have looked unusual at all for anyone who wasn't also a record setting QB stuck on a last place team transferring to a state champion caliber program (featuring current Lions LB Alex Anzalone) lacking only a QB.
The rule was changed again in 2018. "Athletic intent" or lack thereof doesn't matter -- you transfer during or after 10th grade, you're losing that postseason.

Only exception is if you can prove a hardship.

Southern s QB few years back drove to school from Lewisburg everyday. Wasn’t even exactly a secret.
Southern Columbia does this type of thing constantly for football and wrestling. It is crazy the amount of kids that don't attend Southern in elementary school or sometimes even junior high show up there as freshmen.

Reactions: hlstone
Seidel is already significantly better at folk than McHenry ever was.
Significantly better? Maybe I am not aware of Seidel's resume, but I recall McHenry being excellent in folk. 3x Beast of East champ, won Powerade, won at WNO (twice I believe meaning he was the #1 ranked guy at his weight), won at Pittsburgh Wrestling Classic. McHenry never wrestled higher than 113 in HS so not too big of surprise that size would be an issue in college.

Reactions: PAwrestling
Significantly better? Maybe I am not aware of Seidel's resume, but I recall McHenry being excellent in folk. 3x Beast of East champ, won Powerade, won at WNO (twice I believe meaning he was the #1 ranked guy at his weight), won at Pittsburgh Wrestling Classic. McHenry never wrestled higher than 113 in HS so not too big of surprise that size would be an issue in college.
McHenry won a ton because he was excellent on his feet and an upperclassmen at a weight class mostly full of FR/SO. But Seidel is far better in the mat. Obviously both have size concerns but Seidel won’t have the same issues with mat wrestling that McHenry ran into.

McHenry won a ton because he was excellent on his feet and an upperclassmen at a weight class mostly full of FR/SO. But Seidel is far better in the mat. Obviously both have size concerns but Seidel won’t have the same issues with mat wrestling that McHenry ran into.
I remember soph Herrera beating SR McHenry at Powerade in OT by riding the snot out of him. Herrera obviously was very good, but was offensively limited at that stage of his career. Freestyle world champ McHenry did not score on feet and could muster only a single escape.

Reactions: CSauertiegPSU
I remember soph Herrera beating SR McHenry at Powerade in OT by riding the snot out of him. Herrera obviously was very good, but was offensively limited at that stage of his career. Freestyle world champ McHenry did not score on feet and could muster only a single escape.
I thought AHR was gonna have a much better college career. He struggled at first when he went up in weight but always seemed to adjust and be very good once he found his footing.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT