ADVERTISEMENT

A win against OSU

If you're being serious, why are you even doing this to yourself? Right now, this team probably will be favored in only one of their remaining games, and frankly will be fortunate to win more than one of them.

Unless most of OSU's players have an extreme wake and bake session on Saturday, they will beat PSU by whatever score they want. Maryland appears to be in freefall, but I doubt that PSU's offense will be able to outscore them. Michigan and MSU are much better than PSU right now. If Rutgers plays against PSU like they did against Michigan, they'll beat PSU.

Anybody who knows anything about college football had to know that the total inability to control the line of scrimmage on offense eventually would kill this team, and now PSU can't control the defensive line of scrimmage. That's the kiss of death for any football team.

Unless most of OSU's players have an extreme wake and bake session on Saturday...

So you are saying there's a real chance?

OSU will roll. I hope I'm wrong. Maybe the coaching staff thought all they had to do to beat Illinois was show up so all their efforts were game planning for the Buckeyes. I'd like to think no coaching staff is that lazy/over confident. If the Illinois game was a serious coaching effort by the staff that means it'll be a long night on the 30th.

OSU - 48
PSU - 10
I think the game will be much closer than that. With the exception of Oregon (who beat OSU) Penn State is far and away the best team OSU has faced so far. Indiana did not match up with OSU at all. They were missing the starting QB and did not have a good defense. This week will be much harder.

Boy there are a lot of delusional optimists on this board. If the coaching staff is able to make significant improvements to the offensive and defensive schemes this week, it might be closer than a blowout.

NFL level secondary? Not yet at least.

They're young and improving, but hardly top-tier.

This OSU defense looks better than what they probably are in part because of the schedule. Keep in mind, Maryland didn't have Demus. Rutgers is Rutgers. Indiana had no DJ Mathews. They've shut down some really bad offenses -- offenses that didn't have a Jahan Dotson or the TE talent we have.

I think you're overstating how good OSU's defense is. Frankly, I think it's "average" by OSU standards. If that.

Their offense is next level, no doubt.

A fair assessment...at this point "average" at best. The defense was a train wreck early, clearly improving, getting comfortable with new schemes and coaching roles but the jury is still out on whether they can play well enough to enable a championship-caliber football team by year-end and they've yet to be truly tested. Very young and inexperienced, we'll have 4 true freshman playing alot of snaps on Saturday including a starting corner as well as a linebacker who as recently as spring ball was a running back. I think they're settled now on personnel and positions, it's just a matter of learning and getting reps.

I for one don't anticipate a blow out, but I think it's clear that if Clifford isn't up to speed, it's probably too much of a reach for Roberson

Perfect game to take PSU and points. PSU defense has the ability to make this a game. OSU has the history of having a terrible game in them even when talent abounds.

The analysis is fine and acknowledged that Clifford needs to be healthy and is not. That doesn't detract from the defenses ability to slow down OSU. We shall see on Saturday.
I think you’re underestimating the loss of Mustipher. This is nowhere close to the same defense without him. PSU couldn’t slow down a 1 dimensional running team in Illinois (no passing game whatsoever). In the case of OSU, it’s about picking your poison…either Henderson runs for over 200 yards or Olave & Wilson have 200+ yards receiving between the 2 of them. If we hold the Buckeyes to under 450 yards of offense & 38 points, I will be shocked.

Reactions: dailybuck777
A fair assessment...at this point "average" at best. The defense was a train wreck early, clearly improving, getting comfortable with new schemes and coaching roles but the jury is still out on whether they can play well enough to enable a championship-caliber football team by year-end and they've yet to be truly tested. Very young and inexperienced, we'll have 4 true freshman playing alot of snaps on Saturday including a starting corner as well as a linebacker who as recently as spring ball was a running back. I think they're settled now on personnel and positions, it's just a matter of learning and getting reps.

I for one don't anticipate a blow out, but I think it's clear that if Clifford isn't up to speed, it's probably too much of a reach for Roberson
I’m as die hard a Penn Stater as you’ll find, but I’m also a realist. Perhaps you’re just being kind on our board re: not expecting a blowout, but can’t see any scenario where PSU keeps this within 3 TD’s (unless 1/2 your offense gets hurt in the 1st quarter).

If you're being serious, why are you even doing this to yourself? Right now, this team probably will be favored in only one of their remaining games, and frankly will be fortunate to win more than one of them.
If Vegas were to set a line right now for wins over the rest of the season, it would be 2.5…reading posts over the past 24 hours reminds me a lot of last year when we were sitting at 0-4 or so and many thought we could go winless.

I’m as die hard a Penn Stater as you’ll find, but I’m also a realist. Perhaps you’re just being kind on our board re: not expecting a blowout, but can’t see any scenario where PSU keeps this within 3 TD’s (unless 1/2 your offense gets hurt in the 1st quarter).
I agree with you if Clifford is not ready to play at a high level, which at this point is clearly in doubt, it could get away from you.

Your defense, when healthy and full speed, was outstanding and represented a great challenge, but this offense is too good and too diverse to be shut down completely and is gonna score.....period. Without Mustipher, it's not the same defense, tho even under the best of circumstances, you were going to have to score to stay in the game. Dotson is all world and Clifford - along with your defense - looked quite capable of rising to the challenge before he was injured...I do expect their best shot and a gutty, noble effort from a proud, tradition-rich football team.... best of luck to your Nits

I think you’re underestimating the loss of Mustipher. This is nowhere close to the same defense without him. PSU couldn’t slow down a 1 dimensional running team in Illinois (no passing game whatsoever). In the case of OSU, it’s about picking your poison…either Henderson runs for over 200 yards or Olave & Wilson have 200+ yards receiving between the 2 of them. If we hold the Buckeyes to under 450 yards of offense & 38 points, I will be shocked.
This is the same problem as on offense. The entire season relies on one to two players. Clifford on offense and Mustipher on D. PJ is done for the year. And Clifford is severely limited.

After however many years of "top" recruiting classes why is this team in this situation. Basically the difference between 10-2 and 5-7 is Clifford (biggest impact) and PJ.

The problem I see for PSU is the running game. That is how you can exploit the OSU defense. Clifford being gimpy compounds the issue.

This OSU offense is one of the most talented that I've seen. And we currently have kept TreVeyon Henderson in bubble wrap. He's 2nd in the country in Total Touchdowns and only has 87 touches on the season. The #1 player in Total Touchdowns has 150.

I respect PSU, not predicting a blowout. Just not sure how they can score enough to keep up.

I honestly don't see how this team scores against OSU. We've seen 6 quarters without and with a very limited Clifford. It's not pretty. Can't protect the QB and no run game.

As I see it, the only hope is an OSU turnover while already in field goal territory. I just don't see the team that is going to trot out of the tunnel Saturday being able to drive the ball against OSU.

The PSU secondary is legitimately good, but covering all of OSUs receivers coupled with run defense support is going to take its toll. The defense has played bend but don't break all year. Sadly, I think they break in this game.
I think the statement about how bad the offense is for the last 6 quarters is true. We hit 3 big passes to score one touchdown against Illinois. Other than that, nothing in six quarters.
I think Clifford is injured far worse than any of us know. If you watch the replay of him running down to celebrate after the TD throw, he’s running without trying to move his right arm to protect his side (rib cage?) As far as putting in a package for Roberson against osu, the coaches had two weeks to do this for the Illinois game at home. You think they’ll do that on the road against osu? No way. What they saw in practice was a 30% Clifford was better than 100% backups. That is not a good sign for this week or the rest of the season unless Clifford gets healthy really fast. With injured ribs / back/ whatever I’m not sure that’s likely.

Reactions: PearlSUJam
OSU's DL hasn't been the usual wrecking ball. Yes, they dominated Indiana, but Indiana's OL is really bad.

OSU's DL really struggled to get pressure the first 3 games of the season. Zach Harrison hasn't become the monster people thought, and while they have 3 really, really elite-level freshmen DL, they're not there yet.

OSU's OL is a beast, though. Their zone running scheme is so incredibly tough to stop, and they've got 3 or 4 legit backs -- one of which might be the most dynamic RB in the country. Our LBs better come to play. I actually think they will.

Really expecting PSU to make OSU earn their points. Will it be enough? Probably not. But this isn't going to be the blowout some are suggesting, IMO.
I think their OL is the strongest part of their team. The DL, on the other hand, has not performed up to their usual high standard - they've been somewhat of a disappointment. Definitely think PSU can move the ball on the ground against them. Although they've played better the last couple of game, both Zach Harrison and Tyreke Smith have been underwhelming so far

Zach Harrison was 5* DE, thought to be the next Bosa. It hasn't happened. He's solid. Good against the run.

Haskell Garrett is very good at DT.

The best OSU DL are young...JTT, Jack Sawyer and Williams.

The OSU DL has not been as disruptive as expected.

Erases all negatives from Iowa and Illinois. Previous games have no relevance on this game. I expect this will be OSU’s most difficult game of the year. PSU is always in our heads. It’s college football. This is anyone’s game.

You’re kidding, right???

Those losses meant pretty much everything for us if you’re talking CFP like we used to in the old days (back then, National Championship run). That team I saw Saturday not only was TOTALLY unprepared after a two week chance to right the ship, they looked soft and slow.

If Clifford lasts past the first quarter, I will be amazed. And even if he does, he’s a sitting duck that can’t throw accurately anymore with his injury.

The only way we win this game is if Ohio State treats us like Illinois, turns the ball over multiple times, and comes to the game hung over from partying too much the night before.

What I saw Saturday was one of the softest, slowest football teams in Penn State history. That’s a bad combination against a team like Ohio State. We no longer have the ability to beat them up and slow them down like we used to be able to do in years past.

This OSU defense looks better than what they probably are in part because of the schedule. Keep in mind, Maryland didn't have Demus. Rutgers is Rutgers. Indiana had no DJ Mathews. They've shut down some really bad offenses -- offenses that didn't have a Jahan Dotson or the TE talent we have.

I think you're overstating how good OSU's defense is. Frankly, I think it's "average" by OSU standards. If that.

O&U have next level talent everywhere…Illinois has an atrocious defense and we could muster nothing on our home field.

Penn State will be thouroughly dominated in this game - across the board.

You’re kidding, right???

Those losses meant pretty much everything for us if you’re talking CFP like we used to in the old days (back then, National Championship run). That team I saw Saturday not only was TOTALLY unprepared after a two week chance to right the ship, they looked soft and slow.

If Clifford lasts past the first quarter, I will be amazed. And even if he does, he’s a sitting duck that can’t throw accurately anymore with his injury.

The only way we win this game is if Ohio State treats us like Illinois, turns the ball over multiple times, and comes to the game hung over from partying too much the night before.

What I saw Saturday was one of the softest, slowest football teams in Penn State history. That’s a bad combination against a team like Ohio State. We no longer have the ability to beat them up and slow them down like we used to be able to do in years past.
Yes - we are in a world of hurt. Too bad it’s a night game (which will add to the severity of the beating)…I could have sat it out hunting turkey.

I think the game will be much closer than that. With the exception of Oregon (who beat OSU) Penn State is far and away the best team OSU has faced so far. Indiana did not match up with OSU at all. They were missing the starting QB and did not have a good defense. This week will be much harder.
Dud you actually watch Penn State since Clifford went down? Apparently not! This game is a colossal mismatch.

Reactions: BUFFALO LION
Maybe OSU watched the Illinois game and won't bother to dress their first team. If they do lay the points.

Anyone's game? If anyone other than the current PSU team and coaching staff shows up, you might be correct.

Some of you drink too much. We've all seen this movie before, just last year. The only difference is that this season the meltdown and Franklin's loss of his team waited until the second half of the season.

Face it, we got lucky against a bad Wisky squad, played just OK against an OK Auburn team, squeaked by Indiana, we were poised to play our best ball in the outhouse at Iwa, then the wheels came off. Our only QB is a shadow of his former self, the RB room should be moved to Mt. Nittany Health Center, and we've lost our top three DL for the season. Our OL has consistently underperformed in the run game and now can't seem to keep a QB upright as well. Our coaches are calling some of the dumbest situational play calls I've seen.

No, this one will be beyond ugly. OSU -49 is a modest bet this week. I wish it wasn't the case, but it is. These aren't bad kids, the staff seem to be working hard enough, but it just isn't a good situation at all.

I agree with someone who said earlier that we should sit Clifford and get him healthy for a chance to get another win this season against either Ruskers or the Twerps. That would get us bowl eligible and give the younger players a few more weeks of practice. But we may as well prepare to lose out and consider any win a bonus for the rest of this season.

Anyone's game? If anyone other than the current PSU team and coaching staff shows up, you might be correct.

Some of you drink too much. We've all seen this movie before, just last year. The only difference is that this season the meltdown and Franklin's loss of his team waited until the second half of the season.

Face it, we got lucky against a bad Wisky squad, played just OK against an OK Auburn team, squeaked by Indiana, we were poised to play our best ball in the outhouse at Iwa, then the wheels came off.
"Bad" Wisconsin team? "OK" Auburn team? What, are there like 5 good teams in the country? Auburn is certainly better than "OK", and Wisconsin is much, much better than "bad".

Yes - we are in a world of hurt. Too bad it’s a night game (which will add to the severity of the beating)…I could have sat it out hunting turkey.
I'll be at camp hunting deer and or turkeys. Probably start watching this game but the family will turn it to something else when it gets ugly.

are there like 5 good teams in the country?
There are several more than five, but we aren't one of them. Neither are Wisconsin or Auburn. Auburn is another team that may have to get lucky to win two more games this season. Wisconsin is lucky they play in the weakest division this side of the ACC. They will end up second in the pathetic BiG West.

• Haha
Reactions: katchthis
Man, some of you people need to go read some of the OSU boards. Granted, their fans expect a win but also that it could be a tough game mainly because of the rock solid PSU defense. Eleven Warriors is pointing out that that PSU has the country's sixth best scoring defense. Upsets (Illinois) happen. It's just part of CF. Judging by the past few games that PSU and OSU have played, very few OSU coaches, players, or fans are taking Saturday's matchup lightly - they expect a battle

Last edited:
Reactions: cyrizzle
Wolve, I know that a staff has to keep a squad focused. That said, I haven't put together a game plan for quite a while, but this one for OSU I could do in my sleep in about three minutes. With their OL and RBs they can take the air out of the ball, point to where they intend to run as they come to the line, and win this game 24-0.

Man, some of you people need to go read some of the OSU boards. Granted, their fans expect a win but also that it could be a tough game mainly because of the rock solid PSU defense. Eleven Warriors is pointing out that that PSU has the country's sixth best scoring defense. Upsets (Illinois) happen. It's just part of CF. Judging by the past few games that PSU and OSU have played, very few OSU coaches, players, or fans are taking Saturday's matchup lightly - they expect a battle
Exactly. The 2 teams are closer in talent than many of you seem to believe. Beyond that, OSU is very young at a number of positions. These kids have not reached their "college prime" yet and won't on Saturday.

There are several more than five, but we aren't one of them. Neither are Wisconsin or Auburn. Auburn is another team that may have to get lucky to win two more games this season. Wisconsin is lucky they play in the weakest division this side of the ACC. They will end up second in the pathetic BiG West.
Auburn is favored over a top 10 Ole Miss team this weekend, will be favored by a touchdown over Mississippi St, and likely double digits against South Carolina. But yet they'll be "lucky" to win two of those games? Interesting.

Wisconsin may be lucky to play in a weak division...however their "bad" team would be favored over about 110 of the other 129 D1 teams tomorrow on a neutral field.

Reactions: PSUoh90
I think that Penn state's defensive ranking is a little bit misleading because they haven't played a really good offense. The recent year that Ohio State put up 62 points against Michigan, Michigan's defense with ranked something like third or fourth in the country. That being said Penn State always plays Ohio State tough, and a tough battle would not be a surprise.

CCWAPWIRSZDFNIFXQ45OOAWLAI.JPG

I think that Penn state's defensive ranking is a little bit misleading because they haven't played a really good offense. The recent year that Ohio State put up 62 points against Michigan, Michigan's defense with ranked something like third or fourth in the country. That being said Penn State always plays Ohio State tough, and a tough battle would not be a surprise.
That's my point and a few other Buckeye fans on their boards. I went on the 247 Composite team roster rankings and PSU is 2nd to OSU - in the B1G - with a average / player of 89.52 which is really good. Anytime you can put a roster together around that 90.0 figure, you have enough talent to beat any team in the country. Just ask Saban about Texas A&M (90.53). Ryan Day seems really concerned about Saturday's game. He calls the PSU defense the best they've played this year

Face it, we got lucky against a bad Wisky squad, played just OK against an OK Auburn team, squeaked by Indiana, we were poised to play our best ball in the outhouse at Iwa, then the wheels came off. Our only QB is a shadow of his former self, the RB room should be moved to Mt. Nittany Health Center, and we've lost our top three DL for the season. Our OL has consistently underperformed in the run game and now can't seem to keep a QB upright as well. Our coaches are calling some of the dumbest situational play calls I've seen.

No, this one will be beyond ugly. OSU -49 is a modest bet this week. I wish it wasn't the case, but it is. These aren't bad kids, the staff seem to be working hard enough, but it just isn't a good situation at all.

I agree with someone who said earlier that we should sit Clifford and get him healthy for a chance to get another win this season against either Ruskers or the Twerps. That would get us bowl eligible and give the younger players a few more weeks of practice. But we may as well prepare to lose out and consider any win a bonus for the rest of this season.
Agree. But maybe we will “opt out” of the bowl game again this year. That kind of attitude leads to the kind of embarrassment we saw Saturday.

That's my point and a few other Buckeye fans on their boards. I went on the 247 Composite team roster rankings and PSU is 2nd to OSU - in the B1G - with a average / player of 89.52 which is really good. Anytime you can put a roster together around that 90.0 figure, you have enough talent to beat any team in the country. Just ask Saban about Texas A&M (90.53). Ryan Day seems really concerned about Saturday's game. He calls the PSU defense the best they've played this year
The question is not their rankings when recruited but how good they are now. For instance, Jamar Chase was only something like the 15th best rated receiver when he was recruited by LSU. Now he's considered all world even in the pros. If Penn state's defensive line is weak, like some here I have stated, it could be a long day. Interesting matchup between PSU's very good defensive backs and Ohio state's receivers.

Agree. But maybe we will “opt out” of the bowl game again this year. That kind of attitude leads to the kind of embarrassment we saw Saturday.
I remember last year when the geniuses were saying that if they were NFL GM's, they wouldn't touch guys that opted out. It's now the end of October, Micah is on track to be the Defensive rookie of the year, and Chase is on track to have the best season that a rookie WR has had in NFL history. Pretty good start for guys with no heart.

The question is not their rankings when recruited but how good they are now. For instance, Jamar Chase was only something like the 15th best rated receiver when he was recruited by LSU. Now he's considered all world even in the pros. If Penn state's defensive line is weak, like some here I have stated, it could be a long day. Interesting matchup between PSU's very good defensive backs and Ohio state's receivers.
Interesting match-up? Perhaps you paid big bucks for tickets when this looked like a contest. Penn State is in free fall - the Scarlet—Gray game will be more interesting. Eddie Munster will rub our noses in it for sure…and we probably need/deserve it.

Last edited:
A few reasons why PSU could win:
  • Team comes out focused like never before, plays mistake-free football, and flies around the field with passion and energy. They pressure CJ Stroud, keep the big plays in check, and pull off enough wrinkles against an imperfect OSU defense to steal it.
  • OSU's defense is still a question mark. Major improvement since Oregon, but they haven't played a big time offense during this stretch. We just don't know what they have, and PSU has weapons that the Indianas and Rutgers of the world don't have.
  • OSU's offense is a machine, but Stroud isn't as mobile as Fields, Barrett, etc. If PSU's defense pressures him, look for some bad throws and some turnover opportunities.

A few reasons why OSU could blow us out:
  • PSU under Franklin struggles after losses. If they're not 100% dialed in, this gets out of hand.
  • Even if PSU is dialed in, scheme and execution matter. If Clifford can't keep the defense honest with the run, OSU can rush with only the DL and really pressure the PSU passing game. OSU's frontline is starting to get better pressure on QBs lately -- and against a struggling PSU O-line, that could get ugly.
  • PSU's DBs are legit. Problem is, OSU has 3x receivers who could realistically hit 1,000 yards on the season. They won't be able to contain their WRs all day long, and if the OSU OL protects Stroud, game over.
  • Even if PSU keeps the pass game in check, OSU's run game is the best PSU will have seen yet. Henderson is a man child, and that zone run scheme could blow PSU's DL off the blocks entirely.

The line is roughly OSU -16. I think PSU plays an inspired game and pressures OSU on both sides of the ball in ways other teams haven't. But in the end, too many weapons for OSU.

38-20, OSU.
Great assessment

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT