ADVERTISEMENT

A win against OSU

idotter

Oct 4, 2001
Erases all negatives from Iowa and Illinois. Previous games have no relevance on this game. I expect this will be OSU’s most difficult game of the year. PSU is always in our heads. It’s college football. This is anyone’s game.

OSU will roll. I hope I'm wrong. Maybe the coaching staff thought all they had to do to beat Illinois was show up so all their efforts were game planning for the Buckeyes. I'd like to think no coaching staff is that lazy/over confident. If the Illinois game was a serious coaching effort by the staff that means it'll be a long night on the 30th.

OSU - 48
PSU - 10

Erases all negatives from Iowa and Illinois. Previous games have no relevance on this game. I expect this will be OSU’s most difficult game of the year. PSU is always in our heads. It’s college football. This is anyone’s game.

A few reasons why PSU could win:
  • Team comes out focused like never before, plays mistake-free football, and flies around the field with passion and energy. They pressure CJ Stroud, keep the big plays in check, and pull off enough wrinkles against an imperfect OSU defense to steal it.
  • OSU's defense is still a question mark. Major improvement since Oregon, but they haven't played a big time offense during this stretch. We just don't know what they have, and PSU has weapons that the Indianas and Rutgers of the world don't have.
  • OSU's offense is a machine, but Stroud isn't as mobile as Fields, Barrett, etc. If PSU's defense pressures him, look for some bad throws and some turnover opportunities.

A few reasons why OSU could blow us out:
  • PSU under Franklin struggles after losses. If they're not 100% dialed in, this gets out of hand.
  • Even if PSU is dialed in, scheme and execution matter. If Clifford can't keep the defense honest with the run, OSU can rush with only the DL and really pressure the PSU passing game. OSU's frontline is starting to get better pressure on QBs lately -- and against a struggling PSU O-line, that could get ugly.
  • PSU's DBs are legit. Problem is, OSU has 3x receivers who could realistically hit 1,000 yards on the season. They won't be able to contain their WRs all day long, and if the OSU OL protects Stroud, game over.
  • Even if PSU keeps the pass game in check, OSU's run game is the best PSU will have seen yet. Henderson is a man child, and that zone run scheme could blow PSU's DL off the blocks entirely.

The line is roughly OSU -16. I think PSU plays an inspired game and pressures OSU on both sides of the ball in ways other teams haven't. But in the end, too many weapons for OSU.

38-20, OSU.

Reactions: jbLion
I think Penn State will be lucky to lose only 50-3 or thereabouts. With no viable QB, a weak and soft OL, and no run game Penn State will be lucky to score any points at all. The defensive line is weak and will get easily pushed around by the 4* and 5* OSU O-line, easily neutralizing any pass rush and blowing running lanes wide open. Chunk plays by PSU are very unlikely to happen, which is Penn State’s main offensive game plan. All O$U has to do is follow the Illinois game plan except with some passing thrown in, primarily the play action variety. Don’t be surprised to see a lot of 2TE sets a lot from the Buckeyes.

if-you-can-see-it-if-you-can-dream-it-you-can-be-it-jaime-camil.gif

Reactions: Obliviax
A few reasons why PSU could win:
  • Team comes out focused like never before, plays mistake-free football, and flies around the field with passion and energy. They pressure CJ Stroud, keep the big plays in check, and pull off enough wrinkles against an imperfect OSU defense to steal it.
  • OSU's defense is still a question mark. Major improvement since Oregon, but they haven't played a big time offense during this stretch. We just don't know what they have, and PSU has weapons that the Indianas and Rutgers of the world don't have.
  • OSU's offense is a machine, but Stroud isn't as mobile as Fields, Barrett, etc. If PSU's defense pressures him, look for some bad throws and some turnover opportunities.

A few reasons why OSU could blow us out:
  • PSU under Franklin struggles after losses. If they're not 100% dialed in, this gets out of hand.
  • Even if PSU is dialed in, scheme and execution matter. If Clifford can't keep the defense honest with the run, OSU can rush with only the DL and really pressure the PSU passing game. OSU's frontline is starting to get better pressure on QBs lately -- and against a struggling PSU O-line, that could get ugly.
  • PSU's DBs are legit. Problem is, OSU has 3x receivers who could realistically hit 1,000 yards on the season. They won't be able to contain their WRs all day long, and if the OSU OL protects Stroud, game over.
  • Even if PSU keeps the pass game in check, OSU's run game is the best PSU will have seen yet. Henderson is a man child, and that zone run scheme could blow PSU's DL off the blocks entirely.

The line is roughly OSU -16. I think PSU plays an inspired game and pressures OSU on both sides of the ball in ways other teams haven't. But in the end, too many weapons for OSU.

38-20, OSU.
You make some very solid points but I think the MAIN key to a PSU win is the DL putting pressure on Stroud and slowing down that run game - that has to happen or it's going to be a long night. Everyone keeps heaping the praise on Stroud and that FR running back, but in reality it's their OL that makes things happen. They rotate between 9 and 10 players on the OL throughout the game and that really takes a toll on the opposing Ds as the game goes on. The strength of the Indiana team is their defense (offense is below last year's) and OSU just completely dominated their DL and LBs from the start on Saturday night.

If you're being serious, why are you even doing this to yourself? Right now, this team probably will be favored in only one of their remaining games, and frankly will be fortunate to win more than one of them.

Unless most of OSU's players have an extreme wake and bake session on Saturday, they will beat PSU by whatever score they want. Maryland appears to be in freefall, but I doubt that PSU's offense will be able to outscore them. Michigan and MSU are much better than PSU right now. If Rutgers plays against PSU like they did against Michigan, they'll beat PSU.

Anybody who knows anything about college football had to know that the total inability to control the line of scrimmage on offense eventually would kill this team, and now PSU can't control the defensive line of scrimmage. That's the kiss of death for any football team.

Team comes out focused like never before...
I think this is the most relevant point. It's the mental part of the game. If the team is mentally into it, we have a chance. The mental aspect will obviously depend on a lot of things. Clifford's health, competent game plan to stop the run, early success running the ball (long shot).

OSU will roll. I hope I'm wrong. Maybe the coaching staff thought all they had to do to beat Illinois was show up so all their efforts were game planning for the Buckeyes. I'd like to think no coaching staff is that lazy/over confident. If the Illinois game was a serious coaching effort by the staff that means it'll be a long night on the 30th.

OSU - 48
PSU - 10
Exact score I’ve been thinking. A beat down similar in nature to 2016 game vs Michigan at the Big House.

Reactions: ILLINOISLION
Joe taught you not as bad as you think after a loss and not as good after a win.

That game, Saturday, stacked up perfectly for ILL in terms of weather, energy, trap game, officiating, nursing a small lead...etc. I expect the team to come out differently this weekend and keeps it close. The heart of tOSU is their two stellar wide outs. We've got a really great secondary. But we've got to be able to stop the run in our base sets and also get a pass rush. No easy feat to be sure.

I am hoping that CJF put in a game plan to take advantage of Roberson's skill set. I can understand not playing him with the small lead fearing a turnover and Key getting hurt. But he is also way too loyal to SC. SC was hurt and I think I could have played QB more effectively than he did in the second half. And Roberson running the ball might catch tOSU off guard.

In any case, I expect to hang with tOSU but we lose by 13 or so. Then, Pitt will be knocking on the door of a top ten ranking and we'll be unranked (but having had play several teams better than Pitt's best win).

Joe taught you not as bad as you think after a loss and not as good after a win.

That game, Saturday, stacked up perfectly for ILL in terms of weather, energy, trap game, officiating, nursing a small lead...etc. I expect the team to come out differently this weekend and keeps it close. The heart of tOSU is their two stellar wide outs. We've got a really great secondary. But we've got to be able to stop the run in our base sets and also get a pass rush. No easy feat to be sure.

I am hoping that CJF put in a game plan to take advantage of Roberson's skill set. I can understand not playing him with the small lead fearing a turnover and Key getting hurt. But he is also way too loyal to SC. SC was hurt and I think I could have played QB more effectively than he did in the second half. And Roberson running the ball might catch tOSU off guard.

In any case, I expect to hang with tOSU but we lose by 13 or so. Then, Pitt will be knocking on the door of a top ten ranking and we'll be unranked (but having had play several teams better than Pitt's best win).
We have to be honest and say that Pitt is a legitimately good team this year, and I root against them even though I graduated from their law school. Although they're always good at losing a game or two that they shouldn't, their remaining schedule is unbelievably favorable, and I fully expect them to play Wake Forest in the ACC Championship Game; the ratings should be great for that one.

Reactions: delcoLion
Our offense is totally inept without a healthy Clifford and our run defense took a huge hit when we lost Mustipher. How could we possibly win this game?

P.S. I would rest Clifford in hopes that he would be in better shape to play the last couple of games. Maybe we could finish 7-5.

I think this is the most relevant point. It's the mental part of the game. If the team is mentally into it, we have a chance. The mental aspect will obviously depend on a lot of things. Clifford's health, competent game plan to stop the run, early success running the ball (long shot).

Yep.

Granted, all the mental focus and motivation and anger and intensity in the world can't mask poor execution, bad scheme, or vastly inferior talent. At the end of the day, the team can come out hyped and focused, but it needs to actually make plays. But that focus is step one. Too many times after a loss, we haven't had that focus.

We have the talent to win this game. But it's going to require that focus, intensity, and mistake-free execution throughout all 4 quarters.

Of course, OSU seems to be dialed in, too. So there's that. And with their talent edge (which is vast), I think they win regardless by 14+. But CFB history is littered with examples of a beaten team limping into a big game in which nobody is giving them a shot, and then winning.

I think PSU can slow down OSU's offense. PSU's run defense can play well (see Auburn and Wisconsin) they just did not last week. I think our secondary will match up very well with their WRs (who are very good but also haven't really been tested yet).

And I think PSU can score against OSU's defense (which is not as stout as it usually is) but that is somewhat contingent on a healthy Clifford which we probably won't have.

I think PSU will lose, but I don't think it will be a blowout.

You make some very solid points but I think the MAIN key to a PSU win is the DL putting pressure on Stroud and slowing down that run game - that has to happen or it's going to be a long night. Everyone keeps heaping the praise on Stroud and that FR running back, but in reality it's their OL that makes things happen. They rotate between 9 and 10 players on the OL throughout the game and that really takes a toll on the opposing Ds as the game goes on. The strength of the Indiana team is their defense (offense is below last year's) and OSU just completely dominated their DL and LBs from the start on Saturday night.
What makes you think this is even remotely possible?

I think PSU can slow down OSU's offense. PSU's run defense can play well (see Auburn and Wisconsin) they just did not last week. I think our secondary will match up very well with their WRs (who are very good but also haven't really been tested yet).

And I think PSU can score against OSU's defense (which is not as stout as it usually is) but that is somewhat contingent on a healthy Clifford which we probably won't have.

I think PSU will lose, but I don't think it will be a blowout.
Clifford is less healthy now than pre-Illinois. This analysis is fantasy land.

Reactions: BUFFALO LION
Clifford is less healthy now than pre-Illinois. This analysis is fantasy land.
The analysis is fine and acknowledged that Clifford needs to be healthy and is not. That doesn't detract from the defenses ability to slow down OSU. We shall see on Saturday.

This is exactly why O$U will win easily. Their offensive line dominates and when we have the ball their D-Line dominates our O-Line.

Reactions: nits74 and psu00
This is exactly why O$U will win easily. Their offensive line dominates and when we have the ball their D-Line dominates our O-Line.
OSU's DL hasn't been the usual wrecking ball. Yes, they dominated Indiana, but Indiana's OL is really bad.

OSU's DL really struggled to get pressure the first 3 games of the season. Zach Harrison hasn't become the monster people thought, and while they have 3 really, really elite-level freshmen DL, they're not there yet.

OSU's OL is a beast, though. Their zone running scheme is so incredibly tough to stop, and they've got 3 or 4 legit backs -- one of which might be the most dynamic RB in the country. Our LBs better come to play. I actually think they will.

Really expecting PSU to make OSU earn their points. Will it be enough? Probably not. But this isn't going to be the blowout some are suggesting, IMO.

OSU's DL hasn't been the usual wrecking ball. Yes, they dominated Indiana, but Indiana's OL is really bad.

OSU's DL really struggled to get pressure the first 3 games of the season. Zach Harrison hasn't become the monster people thought, and while they have 3 really, really elite-level freshmen DL, they're not there yet.

OSU's OL is a beast, though. Their zone running scheme is so incredibly tough to stop, and they've got 3 or 4 legit backs -- one of which might be the most dynamic RB in the country. Our LBs better come to play. I actually think they will.

Really expecting PSU to make OSU earn their points. Will it be enough? Probably not. But this isn't going to be the blowout some are suggesting, IMO.
Take a snap shot of this post.

Yeah, I agree, I just don't see OSU blowing this game open. Just refuse to believe that PSU doesn't have the talent to compete with OSU. I said before the season that the B1G winner will come out of the PSU-OSU game and I still believe that.

Yeah, I agree, I just don't see OSU blowing this game open. Just refuse to believe that PSU doesn't have the talent to compete with OSU. I said before the season that the B1G winner will come out of the PSU-OSU game and I still believe that.
Did you watch Saturday’s debacle? Your game did not kick off until 7:30 pm bucknut1972.

The way this season is going it will probably be a hard fought game and a close loss. Getting up for big games has never been a problem for CJF teams; finishing them has.

Reactions: odshowtime
The way this season is going it will probably be a hard fought game and a close loss. Getting up for big games has never been a problem for CJF teams; finishing them has.
Time for onside kicks, 4th down gambles, and very aggressive offensive play calls? Detroit Lions had 2 successful fake punts in the first half of the game yesterday and kept it close to the end against the Rams great defense.

Reactions: Midnighter2
I would have agreed with that prior to the Clifford and Mustipher injuries. Those injuries show we have weak depth at both positions. That can be blamed on Franklin. The team will get up for the game and play better although how could you help not play better? The coaches will actually be awake for this one as well. However, it will not be close. Vegas knows, O$U beats us up. Probably 31-10.

Reactions: Midnighter2
I would have agreed with that prior to the Clifford and Mustipher injuries. Those injuries show we have weak depth at both positions. That can be blamed on Franklin. The team will get up for the game and play better although how could you help not play better? The coaches will actually be awake for this one as well. However, it will not be close. Vegas knows, O$U beats us up. Probably 31-10.
They will name the score…perhaps they will have mercy, but it might be better to pull a Michigan, claim COVID, rest, and try and steal a win against Rutgers or Maryland. Yes, it is that bad.

Did you watch Saturday’s debacle? Your game did not kick off until 7:30 pm bucknut1972.
My game ? OK, whatever.

I watched every minute of the PSU-Illinois game and cannot accept PSU being down to Illinois' level. Sometimes is about just being a bad matchup. I still remember OSU and Meyer losing to both Iowa and Purdue in back to back seasons 3 or 4 years ago - and both games were blowouts. It happens

I honestly don't see how this team scores against OSU. We've seen 6 quarters without and with a very limited Clifford. It's not pretty. Can't protect the QB and no run game.

As I see it, the only hope is an OSU turnover while already in field goal territory. I just don't see the team that is going to trot out of the tunnel Saturday being able to drive the ball against OSU.

The PSU secondary is legitimately good, but covering all of OSUs receivers coupled with run defense support is going to take its toll. The defense has played bend but don't break all year. Sadly, I think they break in this game.

My game ? OK, whatever.

I watched every minute of the PSU-Illinois game and cannot accept PSU being down to Illinois' level. Sometimes is about just being a bad matchup. I still remember OSU and Meyer losing to both Iowa and Purdue in back to back seasons 3 or 4 years ago - and both games were blowouts. It happens
Those Iowa and Purdue teams were light years better than the Illinois team that staggered into Happy Valley.

Those Iowa and Purdue teams were light years better than the Illinois team that staggered into Happy Valley.
If a couple of screwups a decade against solid Big10 teams are what is acceptable, will sign up for that in a heart beat.

I honestly don't see how this team scores against OSU. We've seen 6 quarters without and with a very limited Clifford. It's not pretty. Can't protect the QB and no run game.

As I see it, the only hope is an OSU turnover while already in field goal territory. I just don't see the team that is going to trot out of the tunnel Saturday being able to drive the ball against OSU.

The PSU secondary is legitimately good, but covering all of OSUs receivers coupled with run defense support is going to take its toll. The defense has played bend but don't break all year. Sadly, I think they break in this game.

This OSU defense is getting better, but this isn't the 2019 OSU defense with a bunch of 1st rounders and a Heisman caliber gamechanger on the line. With the right game plan and proper execution, we CAN score on this defense.

However, turnovers will probably be the key. Really need to pressure Stroud into some bad throws. Oregon did it. Stroud has been comfortable in that pocket for 6 weeks straight. If we get to him and force some bad throws -- or force them into 3rd and long -- we have a puncher's chance.

Otherwise? Forget it. If that O-line keeps the pocket clean, he'll destroy us and probably jump into the Heisman lead.

The analysis is fine and acknowledged that Clifford needs to be healthy and is not. That doesn't detract from the defenses ability to slow down OSU. We shall see on Saturday.
Without a healthy Clifford our defense will be on the field too long and wear down. Complimentary football 101.

This OSU defense is getting better, but this isn't the 2019 OSU defense with a bunch of 1st rounders and a Heisman caliber gamechanger on the line. With the right game plan and proper execution, we CAN score on this defense.

However, turnovers will probably be the key. Really need to pressure Stroud into some bad throws. Oregon did it. Stroud has been comfortable in that pocket for 6 weeks straight. If we get to him and force some bad throws -- or force them into 3rd and long -- we have a puncher's chance.

Otherwise? Forget it. If that O-line keeps the pocket clean, he'll destroy us and probably jump into the Heisman lead.
It's a slight possibility on the defensive end of things.

I just don't see it on offense though. They couldn't move the ball against ILL at home. This game being at OSU makes it worse.

I can see it being it somewhat close first half (I'd consider 17-0 at half to be close) but getting ugly in the second half.

Penn State is depleted on the interior of the defensive line. Illinois ran 6 lineman a lot and 3 tight ends in addition a good portion of the day. PSU just didn’t have the bodies or size to match up with that kind of ground and pound. Ohio State won’t do this, they will play their normal style, spread you out and that is an offense the Penn State defense is used to seeing everyday in practice. Also PSU has plenty of speed. Now I am not saying PsU will shut them down, Ohio State is far superior to anything we have seen. I am just saying that we matchup much better with a spread offense then we do with a ground and pound with the current injury and depth situation on the defensive line. I am calling it now, Michigan and Michigan State will be a handful for this defense.

So I think Penn State will be a match for Ohio State offense. Now when I say they are a match and slow them down, Ohio State will still score 30+ points even if we play a really good game. They are that damn good.

The issue is, even with Ohio State struggling on defense this season. PSU has nothing on offense without a mobile / healthy Clifford. If he can’t run, make plays with his feet….if he can’t physically get the ball down field with zip and accuracy, they just can’t be effective. After seeing him walk off the field vs Illinois, I can tell you he will be in worst physical shape Saturday night in Columbus then he was vs Illinois. He and the PSU offense might move it and have some good drives early but as soon as he gets drilled a couple times, he is back to hurting and the offense is done. This offense was stagnant against a bad Illinois defense. Ohio State may not be great but their talent / athletisim is 10X Illinois.

I am predicting PSU offense is non existent after first quarter and PSU gains only 150 yards of total offense in the game. The defense will fight and give Ohio State a battle, keep it to 2 scores or less at half time but come second half, we just won’t be able to keep up and they win 38-13.

Did we score on Wisconsin’s? Iowa’s? Illinois? How in tbe heck is this going to be any different? O$U has an NFL level secondary…they will take Dotson out of the game…press cover and smother PSU as we have no running game. Going to be very, very ugly.

Did we score on Wisconsin’s? Iowa’s? Illinois? How in tbe heck is this going to be any different? O$U has an NFL level secondary…they will take Dotson out of the game…press cover and smother PSU as we have no running game. Going to be very, very ugly.
NFL level secondary? Not yet at least.

They're young and improving, but hardly top-tier.

This OSU defense looks better than what they probably are in part because of the schedule. Keep in mind, Maryland didn't have Demus. Rutgers is Rutgers. Indiana had no DJ Mathews. They've shut down some really bad offenses -- offenses that didn't have a Jahan Dotson or the TE talent we have.

I think you're overstating how good OSU's defense is. Frankly, I think it's "average" by OSU standards. If that.

Their offense is next level, no doubt.

Reactions: tbux
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT