ADVERTISEMENT

a NY6 Bowl ... what are we needing to happen this week?

If we were in the West, we still would not be in the conference title game. With the same record, you cannot definitively say we are better. So by default Wisconsin will be in Rose Bowl assuming OSU wins.
But Wisky will have 3 losses after OSU smokes them, so they will not have the same record as PSU.
Again, provided OSU wins big, there is no way a 3 loss UW goes Rose before a 2 loss PSU. Ain't happening.

Reactions: mn78psu83
I feel it's very important for program "reputation" to get into another NY6 Bowl. It looks good on media brochures, statistical graphics during games, recruiting tweets.... to be able to state "Penn State has played in NY6 Bowl games 3 out of the last 4 seasons....".

No one fact checks to see if it was an Orange vs. Virginia or a Cotton vs. Boise.... the only LONG TERM important stat is "playing in a NY6 Bowl".

So, what do we need this week -- Tuesday night's CFP ranking & Saturday's Championship games??

My opinion:
> Tuesday Night's CFP ranking:
a) Wiscy moves ahead of us THIS week for the short-term but drops below us NEXT week after losing to OSU
b) Minnesota drops below us THIS week and stays behind us NEXT week
c) We MUST stay ahead of Florida and Auburn... either of those teams jumping us is bad news

> Championship Saturday:
a) We need to pull for "chalk". LSU giving Georgia a 2nd loss, OU giving Baylor a 2nd loss, Ohio State giving Wiscy a 3rd loss.... those are all good for us.

IMO, if we stay ahead of FL and Auburn and MN drops below us, then if "chalk" happens on Saturday. The NY6 Bowls would be this:
#1 vs. #4 = Ohio State vs. either OU or Utah
#2 vs. #3 = LSU vs. Clemson
Rose = Oregon or Utah vs. Minnesota (have a feeling Rose takes MN over us for novelty)
Sugar = OU or Baylor vs. Georgia
Orange = Virginia vs. Penn State
Cotton = Power 5 Team vs. Utah or Bama

I would be surprised if Wisky jumps ahead of PSU since unlike some of those buying into the recent Wisky hype train, I think the committee looks at a team’s entire body of work and will remember them blowing a double digit second half lead to Illinois.

Entire Body of Work. PSU > Minny

I agree. But until the 13 person committee isn't making these decisions, you just never know. The committee is the judge, jury, and executioner. They should NOT have that kind of power.

If we were in the West, we still would not be in the conference title game. With the same record, you cannot definitively say we are better. So by default Wisconsin will be in Rose Bowl assuming OSU wins.

Yeah, but PSU may not have had to play any of the BIG east powers. They may have lost one game if they were in the West. That would have put them in the BIG championship.

Reactions: tlbakernc
OK. That’s simple enough.

But here is the tougher question: “Who should?”

Let the play on the field decide who moves onto what. It's obviously not an easy thing to fix or it would have been done already. I just believe that something needs to give. ;)

It is bonkers to think Wisconsin is not going to be in the Rose Bowl. The went on the road and destroyed a top 10 team, the same team that completely owned us. And we think they are going to drop because they lose the championship game? A post season game that we were not good enough to make?

this should have been a guaranteed NY6 bowl at least, but unfortunately Rahne, Pry, and Smith pooped themselves in Minneapolis. Maybe we will have better luck next year, but I wouldn’t bet on it... Franklin doesn’t have the cojones to make the necessary staff changes.

Are you for real? Or just hate Franklin that much? Minnesota “owned” PSU but won by a whopping 5 points and probably loses but for a bogus offensive pass interference call at the end of the game. As I said elsewhere, unlike some of the clueless, the committee isn’t likely to forget Wisky blowing a double digit second half lead to “mighty” Illinois. Teams get selected on their resume over the entire season not just a single game. By the way, PSU is the only team to play a 4th quarter game against OSU despite playing almost the entire second half without its starting QB. OSU kicked Wisconsin’s asses 38-7 by the way.

Reactions: m48tank
That’s a cute sound bite...... but it is, of course, utterly meaningless.

Unless you can explain just how “Let the play on the field.....” would work. Specifically and unequivocally.
Which, I am sure, you can’t (because no one can..... not without, at the least, creating an alternate universe where 5 is less than 4 :) )

Do you think an 8 team playoff would at least damper the biasness???

I’ve said for years and years - an 8 team playoff is the most logical way to go..... but that’s not what we have - we have a four team invitational.
A four team invitational absolutely mandates a subjective system..... and any wailing and bemoaning about such a system is a waste of breath (and an affront to common sense) because such a system is simply not fixable. Not by any means.
Would PSU qualify for a hypothetical 8 team playoff this year?

Are you for real? Or just hate Franklin that much? Minnesota “owned” PSU but won by a whopping 5 points and probably loses but for a bogus offensive pass interference call at the end of the game. As I said elsewhere, unlike some of the clueless, the committee isn’t likely to forget Wisky blowing a double digit second half lead to “mighty” Illinois. Teams get selected on their resume over the entire season not just a single game. By the way, PSU is the only team to play a 4th quarter game against OSU despite playing almost the entire second half without its starting QB. OSU kicked Wisconsin’s asses 38-7 by the way.
Exactly. At the end of the day it will come down to number of losses and who is ranked higher in the CFP rankings. Those will be the two key metrics the Rose committee uses to decide. As long as O$U wins and it is not some kind of last minute thriller win then Wisky will drop behind PSU and we get the bid.

If that does not happen then they just want to screw us, no other explanation. There is no head to head vs Wisky to potentially save them (assuming they best us) so it is clear cut. They lose. They drop behind us, we are the highest ranked B10 team after O$U based on the final playoff rankings then we get the ROSE.

I’ve said for years and years - an 8 team playoff is the most logical way to go..... but that’s not what we have - we have a four team invitational.
A four team invitational absolutely mandates a subjective system..... and any wailing and bemoaning about such a system is a waste of breath (and an affront to common sense) because such a system is simply not fixable. Not by any means.
An 8 team playoff is coming, the catch is our great grandchildren will get to enjoy it as slow and bureaucratic as the joke and crooked NCAA is.

Different records

I worry about Oklahoma making the playoffs,that would bump Baylor down to SugarBowl and mean another SEC team slides down for the Orange Bowl spot.

I think if we are in Top 8 after Tuesday night, we will get an NY6 slot.

Hmmm. I never give much thought about OU or Utah. I think you are right. I guess we should, all pull for either a) Utah to win very convincingly to impress the committee OR b) Oregon to simply beat Utah....... Bottom line is that it's good for us to have Utah get that #4 spot instead of OU. That would push OU to the Sugar. Baylor is not getting a NY6 spot if they lose to OU.

I feel it's very important for program "reputation" to get into another NY6 Bowl. It looks good on media brochures, statistical graphics during games, recruiting tweets.... to be able to state "Penn State has played in NY6 Bowl games 3 out of the last 4 seasons....".

No one fact checks to see if it was an Orange vs. Virginia or a Cotton vs. Boise.... the only LONG TERM important stat is "playing in a NY6 Bowl".

So, what do we need this week -- Tuesday night's CFP ranking & Saturday's Championship games??

My opinion:
a) Wiscy moves ahead of us THIS week for the short-term but drops below us NEXT week after losing to OSU
c) We MUST stay ahead of Florida and Auburn... either of those teams jumping us is bad news

> Championship Saturday:
a) We need to pull for "chalk". LSU giving Georgia a 2nd loss, OU giving Baylor a 2nd loss, Ohio State giving Wiscy a 3rd loss.... those are all good for us.

IMO, if we stay ahead of FL and Auburn and MN drops below us, then if "chalk" happens on Saturday. The NY6 Bowls would be this:
Rose = Oregon or Utah vs. Minnesota (have a feeling Rose takes MN over us for novelty)
I don't have any idea what's going to happen but I have this feeling that somewhere there is a bowl comm. hoping for a Bama vrs PSU bowl game

So, rankings come out tonight but the championships are this weekend and bowl announcements are on Sunday. Will a new set of rankings come out on Sunday prior to bowl announcements?

I don't have any idea what's going to happen but I have this feeling that somewhere there is a bowl comm. hoping for a Bama vrs PSU bowl game
That is impossible, other than the Cotton Bowl, and considering the G5 team will be going there, hopes of Bama/PSU are slim and none, and Slim just left town.

So, rankings come out tonight but the championships are this weekend and bowl announcements are on Sunday. Will a new set of rankings come out on Sunday prior to bowl announcements?
Yes, I should say - in conjunction with the bowl announcement

Agree completely but the head to head outcome is tough to escape.
It all comes down to money, in the end everything comes down to money and the Rose ultimately cares about who will generate the most money for their sponsors and city. If its close and they have a choice they are going to follow the money and in this case PSU trumps Minny in ALL counts. so I see no way the Rose is going with a team for Novelty sake when they can't even sell out their own tiny stadium for their biggest game! Plus how many of Minny's games have drawn large TV audiences? I can help with this...NONE! PSU to the Rose if Wisky gets hammered by OSU as expected.

It is bonkers to think Wisconsin is not going to be in the Rose Bowl. The went on the road and destroyed a top 10 team, the same team that completely owned us. And we think they are going to drop because they lose the championship game? A post season game that we were not good enough to make?

this should have been a guaranteed NY6 bowl at least, but unfortunately Rahne, Pry, and Smith pooped themselves in Minneapolis. Maybe we will have better luck next year, but I wouldn’t bet on it... Franklin doesn’t have the cojones to make the necessary staff changes.
Completely owned us...WHAT! Did you miss the winning TD being overturned by a very curious penalty call! Minny played a perfect game and PSU did not play well and still should have won in the end. PSU has played the toughest schedule in the country and has more wins over ranked teams than most in the top 10 right now. PSU played OSU the #1 team to their toughest game of the season in their building! PSU will be Rose bound on Sunday

My opinion:

> Championship Saturday:

Is it better for PR to be in a New Year’s six bowl even in a bad matchup? Oregon will be a very tough out for us. They have a NFL level QB and wide receivers (thanks Juwan). I don’t see us stopping that passing attack.

If I had to guess with percentages:

70% Rose Bowl
10% Outback
10% Orange
10% Cotton

Rose: Unless Wisc. wins outright or keeps it close with OSU this weekend, PSU will be ahead of both Wisc & Minn in final rankings. OSU to CFP and PSU to Rose.

Orange: ACC vs. B1G/SEC/ND - All depends on how many SEC get into CFP. If LSU beats UGA this weekend, LSU in, should drop UGA to Sugar, and probably Bama to Orange. If UGA wins this weekend...LSU and UGA both in CFP, Bama to Sugar and then should open PSU to Orange if not the Rose already. (If PSU in Rose, should put UF, Minn, Wisc to Orange)

Outback: If PSU wouldn't make a NY6 due to conference tie-ins, could see PSU sliding to Outback. Yes, Citrus is higher than Outback, however PSU was just there last year and don't see PSU going back 2 years in a row.

Cotton: If scenario would play out that would somehow keep PSU out of Rose (Ex: Wisc stays ahead of PSU in final rankings) and the Orange spot is filled by an SEC, don't think they would let a 10-2 PSU team slide out of a NY6. They would throw PSU over to the Cotton Bowl against G5 team (Most likely Memphis).

70% Rose Bowl
10% Outback
10% Orange
10% Cotton

Rose: Unless Wisc. wins outright or keeps it close with OSU this weekend, PSU will be ahead of both Wisc & Minn in final rankings. OSU to CFP and PSU to Rose.

Orange: ACC vs. B1G/SEC/ND - All depends on how many SEC get into CFP. If LSU beats UGA this weekend, LSU in, should drop UGA to Sugar, and probably Bama to Orange. If UGA wins this weekend...LSU and UGA both in CFP, Bama to Sugar and then should open PSU to Orange if not the Rose already. (If PSU in Rose, should put UF, Minn, Wisc to Orange)

Outback: If PSU wouldn't make a NY6 due to conference tie-ins, could see PSU sliding to Outback. Yes, Citrus is higher than Outback, however PSU was just there last year and don't see PSU going back 2 years in a row.

Cotton: If scenario would play out that would somehow keep PSU out of Rose (Ex: Wisc stays ahead of PSU in final rankings) and the Orange spot is filled by an SEC, don't think they would let a 10-2 PSU team slide out of a NY6. They would throw PSU over to the Cotton Bowl against G5 team (Most likely Memphis).

Agree with your Cotton. I also do not see them taking 4 SEC teams. I heard Greg McElroy this morning ... he is an ex-Bama QB and a self-admitted SEC Homer... His prediction was:
LSU - CFP
Georgia - Sugar
Highest rated SEC team between Bama/Auburn/Florida - Orange (he thought Bama)
Next highest SEC team between Bama/Auburn/Florida - Cotton

I just would not see them taking 4 SEC teams. There is already enough bias accusation vs. the SEC in this whole thing. Taking SEC non-conf champions over conference champions for the CFP.... then if they somehow took 4 SEC teams ... No, I would not see that happening. I could definitely see the SEC getting 3 teams in, but not 4. I'd have to think that they'd figure a way to put either Penn State (assuming Wiscy goes to Rose) or the OU/Baylor loser into the Cotton.

It is bonkers to think that with their three losses (including one bad loss to a 6-6 Illinois team) that they would go to the Rose Bowl.

I'd agree. But no matter what the Rose (or any bowl) says, there is a 'human element" involved that includes $$$$$. Nobody alive has seen MN in a Rose Bowl. They'd have to think that given the opportunity, the MN fan base would be crazed lunatics for the Rose Bowl. .... Rose Bowl sees $$$$$. They could literally sell a pile of dog crap, if it had the Minnesota & Rose Bowl logos.

I just have a feeling that the Rose Bowl comes up with some BS reasoning to pick MN

Minnesota is 10-2 with a win over PSU. If Minnesota is selected for the Rose Bowl it won't be because of some BS reason. It will be because they earned it.

Let the play on the field decide who moves onto what. It's obviously not an easy thing to fix or it would have been done already. I just believe that something needs to give. ;)
OK, but you still need some entity to administrate the process of the playoffs - it's not sandlot football where a bunch of guys get together and simply play.

Do you think an 8 team playoff would at least damper the biasness???
Whether you have an 8 team or 16 team or 32 team playoff, the entire process needs to be revamped. College football took a step forward with the BCS, then the CFP, and it needs to take another step forward with an overhaul to the process. Which starts at the beginning, not end, of the season.

Reactions: PennState_one

70% Rose Bowl
10% Outback
10% Orange
10% Cotton

If PSU gets Rose and Bama in Sugar, then Florida will get the nod in the Orange. It will guarantee a full stadium. (I have no idea how well UVa travels).

Minnesota is 10-2 with a win over PSU. If Minnesota is selected for the Rose Bowl it won't be because of some BS reason. It will be because they earned it.

The committee looks at the entire body of work... NOT 1 game vs. Penn State. They will look at Minnesota's crappy non-con schedule and see that they actually struggled in those 3 games vs. crap teams. One of them going into OT. They will also look at their schedule vs. the B1G West vs. Penn State's in the B1G East. They will see that Minnesota was the beneficiary of no cross over games vs. either OSU or Michigan.

Not taking anything away from MN. They had a fantastic season. But if you look at the entire "body of work", the only variable MN has over Penn State is the head-to-head win..... granted that is a huge variable..... But if the committee had 5 variables: final ranking, wins vs. top 25 opponents, strength of schedule ..... Penn State would beat out MN in 4 out of 5 of those variables.

My opinion:

> Championship Saturday:

1. I doubt we finish ahead of Florida and I wouldn't even be surprised to see Auburn ahead of us. You never know what the criteria-of-the-day will be that the committee will use to rank the teams.
2. Does anyone really want to play Virginia or Boise St in a Bowl game as opposed to Auburn or Florida?! If we don't get the Rose, I'm hoping we drop to the Outback to play a better opponent. I know that's unpopular thinking but, for me, it's all about the match-up and not the Bowl.

1. I doubt we finish ahead of Florida and I wouldn't even be surprised to see Auburn ahead of us. You never know what the criteria-of-the-day will be that the committee will use to rank the teams.
2. Does anyone really want to play Virginia or Boise St in a Bowl game as opposed to Auburn or Florida?! If we don't get the Rose, I'm hoping we drop to the Outback to play a better opponent. I know that's unpopular thinking but, for me, it's all about the match-up and not the Bowl.

No, No, No, No way in h$ll. It means a lot to say to recruits that we have played in a NY6 Bowl 3 out of 4 years. That recruit "could be" the one that gets us over the hump and to the playoffs.

Reactions: Cpeplion and Kiber
If PSU gets Rose and Bama in Sugar, then Florida will get the nod in the Orange. It will guarantee a full stadium. (I have no idea how well UVa travels).

where is Georgia in this scenario?

FYI, from the Rose Bowl Website:
https://tournamentofroses.com/rose-bowl-game-presented-by-northwestern-mutual-selection-procedures/

"Should a team from the Big Ten or Pac-12 be selected to go to the College Football Playoff, the Tournament of Roses will traditionally select the next-highest CFP-ranked team from that conference. There is, however, a caveat to that clause in the contract.

“If the next-highest ranked team is in a ‘cluster’ of teams, meaning there is another team or teams from the same conference ranked within several spots of each other, the Tournament of Roses will select the team from that cluster that will result in the best possible matchup for the Rose Bowl Game,” said Rose Bowl Management Committee Chair Scott Jenkins.

In a cluster situation, the Tournament of Roses will take into account factors, in no particular order, such as: the last time a team played in the Rose Bowl Game, head-to-head results, regular season schedule, overall record, opponents played, past playoff or bowl appearances and performance, and historical matchups.

It should be noted that it is the strong preference of the Tournament of Roses, Pac-12 and Big Ten Conferences, that the highest-ranked available team in each conference be selected as the replacement team."

If Penn State goes to the Outback Bowl, they will lose against whoever they play. Much like last year when no one was excited about playing Kentucky and they lost, the Outback Bowl would be even more of a letdown. We had better hope for a NY6 bid, and not the Cotton Bowl against a G5 team.

If Penn State goes to the Outback Bowl, they will lose against whoever they play. Much like last year when no one was excited about playing Kentucky and they lost, the Outback Bowl would be even more of a letdown. We had better hope for a NY6 bid, and not the Cotton Bowl against a G5 team.
That's the spirit! I would think Auburn/Florida would consider the Outback to be just as much of a letdown as we would so I guess the whole game would come down to who wants it the least?

That's the spirit! I would think Auburn/Florida would consider the Outback to be just as much of a letdown as we would so I guess the whole game would come down to who wants it the least?

Except we won't be matched up against Auburn or Florida in the Outback. Neither of those teams will fall below the Citrus. It will be Tennessee. And we will want it least regardless.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT