ADVERTISEMENT

93.7 the Fan

dbsteel

Jan 15, 2014
At it again. The morning was spent bashing Franklin for chasing after his players to pull them back to shake hands after MSU. Unreal. They claim he's nothing but a phony...... that he's trying to deflect the fact that he lost again by all of a sudden being a good sport, unlike against Georgia State. Filliponi is the lead dog on this hunt.

Does this clown of a station realize half of it's listeners went to Penn State? They don't cover anything positive Penn State, but when something pops up they think they can pick on, they run with it. It's a joke!

Last edited:
Meanwhile, there are plenty of free tickets available for Thursday night's game. Dooz will be happy to shake hands with anyone who stays until the end. Heck, he may even be the guy who hands out the free beverages.

Last edited:
But, you listened to them, so they have won.

Well, I am a Steelers, Pirates, and Penguins fan. So what can you do. If there is no better option, I'll go to satellite. You'd think they'd realize that half of Allegheny county went to Penn State, but I guess not.

So if the players ran off the field and CJF didn't run after them... are they cool with that? Truth is they are untalented and on an obscure radio station in a small market. They are going to poorly manufacture anything to get the Pitt cult to listen.

Well, I am a Steelers, Pirates, and Penguins fan. So what can you do. If there is no better option, I'll go to satellite. You'd think they'd realize that half of Allegheny county went to Penn State, but I guess not.
Then they win even more - because they are not in the business to provide a feel good option for the Penn State fan- they are in the business of generating ad revenue through viewer listenership. They don't care if you like what you hear them say - just as long as you are listening.

Reactions: wilbury
Then they win even more - because they are not in the business to provide a feel good option for the Penn State fan- they are in the business of generating ad revenue through viewer listenership. They don't care if you like what you hear them say - just as long as you are listening.

So how do they know he tuned into their analog radio signal for a few minutes?

Well if somehow they magically know I tuned into their station for a few minutes on my way to work........ maybe. I imagine from the opinions of the callers, they probably lost a few. I don't mind some stuff here and there so I kept tuning in for the other stuff, but at some point it sounds like they just have a bone to pick. They basically said "they don't like Franklin".

Well I realize that, so they lost a listener. I'll find a better option. I imagine from the opinions of the callers, they probably lost a few. I don't mind some stuff here and there so I kept tuning in for the other stuff, but at some point it sounds like they just have a bone to pick. They basically admitted it's because they don't like Franklin.
When the station first began Filliponi had a night shift. This was well before the Sandusky thing and a caller brought up Penn State, which for reason I can't recall. What I do remember was Filliponi saying on the air that he hates "that school". So, you know from where he's coming. Probably has little to do with Franklin. No matter who the coach, the media here always finds a way to hate on Penn State. Been going on since I can remember, and that goes back a ways.

Meanwhile, there are plenty of free tickets available for Thursday night's game. Dooz will be happy to shake hands with anyone who stays until the end. Heck, he may even be the guy who hands out the free beverages.

Pitt students get free Tshirts if they show up for the Thursday night game. Need to know if they are a dri fit or some shitty polyester blend before we know if it's worth attending that mess.

At it again. The morning was spent bashing Franklin for chasing after his players to pull them back to shake hands after MSU. Unreal. They claim he's nothing but a phony...... that he's trying to deflect the fact that he lost again by all of a sudden being a good sport, unlike against Georgia State. Filliponi is the lead dog on this hunt.

Does this clown of a station realize half of it's listeners went to Penn State? They don't cover anything positive Penn State, but when something pops up they think they can pick on, they run with it. It's a joke!
Franklin has gotten great national press for that and I am more of a supporter of his today, than I was on Friday. He gets the purpose of college football and got the respect of his peers Saturday. Despite some challenges from the coaches, we were a dropped ball away from winning and having the inside track to the B1G championship game and a spot in the series.

Reactions: Aloha T
Franklin has gotten great national press for that and I am more of a supporter of his today, than I was on Friday. He gets the purpose of college football and got the respect of his peers Saturday. Despite some challenges from the coaches, we were a dropped ball away from winning and having the inside track to the B1G championship game and a spot in the series.

Right- which makes no sense in them thinking that this, of all things crappy in College football, was a bad thing. Went as far as to actually say this kind of thing is pre-planned and calculated by Franklin. Nutso.

Reactions: nits74
Right- which makes no sense in them thinking that this, of all things crappy in College football, was a bad thing. Went as far as to actually say this kind of thing is pre-planned and calculated by Franklin. Nutso.
As though he knew that a player was going to walk off the field. Wait, maybe he instructed them to do so, so he could look good. Unreal.

Reactions: Madsol
So if the players ran off the field and CJF didn't run after them... are they cool with that? Truth is they are untalented and on an obscure radio station in a small market. They are going to poorly manufacture anything to get the Pitt cult to listen.

Yeah, no win situation, though if CJF doesn't run after Farmer no one likely notices he left without shaking hands (given all the storming the field and everything). Good on CJF though for taking the high road and teaching a lesson even in defeat. Pitt is obsessed.

fonda-single-white-female.jpg

What is being reported is all true. I was shocked by the obvious hatred for Franklin. I can tell you that I 100% agree with the comment that was made earlier that no matter who coaches PSU, they would hate on the coach. Remember, they are married to Pitt football and basketball broadcasts.

Don't listen fool, You play right into their hands by tuning into 93.7 giving them ratings. Take some advice from a phrase Belichick has posted in the Pats complex "TUNE OUT THE NOISE."

I watched the Eagles pre-game show on our local Fox affiliate. Howard Eskin, a local d-bag sports talk show host, couldn't help himself, and during an NFL pregame show bashed Penn State, Ohio State and the Big 10 in general, all the while pimping for da U. For some reason he is a big Miami fan.

Most of these local talk show guys are bush league contrarians. Think of that snarky jerk you know that tries too hard to be "witty" while reveling in your disappointment. That's who these guys are.

Reactions: nits74
I watched the Eagles pre-game show on our local Fox affiliate. Howard Eskin, a local d-bag sports talk show host, couldn't help himself, and during an NFL pregame show bashed Penn State, Ohio State and the Big 10 in general, all the while pimping for da U. For some reason he is a big Miami fan.

Most of these local talk show guys are bush league contrarians. Think of that snarky jerk you know that tries too hard to be "witty" while reveling in your disappointment. That's who these guys are.

Lives in Philly but likes Miami?

image.gif

Don't forget where Filliponi went to school. Sports radio in Pittsburgh is unlistenable. I'm addicted, but I turned him off but quick this morning.

Is this the same station which carries PSU games? I tune in an FM station while sitting in the stands at the Beav but don't know if this is the one. If so maybe we can boycott these morons.

Lives in Philly but likes Miami?

image.gif

Yes. It goes back to the '80's. No clue how or why he jumped on the Miami band wagon back then, but he really despises both Penn State and Notre Dame. He actually used to wear a Miami National Champioship ring from one of their title years. He's not an alum and has no connection to the program that I know of.

Don't listen fool, You play right into their hands by tuning into 93.7 giving them ratings. Take some advice from a phrase Belichick has posted in the Pats complex "TUNE OUT THE NOISE."

I apparently don't understand how radio stations can measure who listens to their analog broadcasts, and thus give them ratings. Please explain this to me.

Filliponi is not a friend of Pitt or the Pirates, even though the station is affiliated with both. He is critical of almost every team of which he has an opinion. He graduated from Syracuse, but barely mentions them. He is also a big NY Mets fan. That station has guys such as Ron Cook, and Chris Mack, who are negative much of the time. But, If I am not mistaken, Chris Mueller and Mack are PSU grads, so at least PSU is represented. I listen to the FAN while driving and even though these guys are knowledgable, their opinions will often take the negative side.

Filliponi is not a friend of Pitt or the Pirates, even though the station is affiliated with both. He is critical of almost every team of which he has an opinion. He graduated from Syracuse, but barely mentions them. He is also a big NY Mets fan. That station has guys such as Ron Cook, and Chris Mack, who are negative much of the time. But, If I am not mistaken, Chris Mueller and Mack are PSU grads, so at least PSU is represented. I listen to the FAN while driving and even though these guys are knowledgable, their opinions will often take the negative side.

They aren’t knowledgeable about sports at all. They only know what’s going on in their little Pittsburgh bubble. I would hardly call them experts in that either.

This reminds me of a line from the Howard Stern movie when his competitor's manager says:
The average HS fan listens for 20 minutes, the average HS hater listens for 2 hours...."
Ratings, baby. Whatever opinion they can take to get the most people riled up to listen waiting for someone to correct them, that is the one they will take. Stop listening and enjoy yourself.

GT74, Mueller, though a PSU graduate, hates Penn State. And he takes every opportunity to tell anyone who will listen. Big Pitt fan, and admits it.

GT74, Mueller, though a PSU graduate, hates Penn State. And he takes every opportunity to tell anyone who will listen. Big Pitt fan, and admits it.

A girl the size of a jockey probably took his lunch money and he blames Penn State.

This reminds me of a line from the Howard Stern movie when his competitor's manager says:
The average HS fan listens for 20 minutes, the average HS hater listens for 2 hours...."
Ratings, baby. Whatever opinion they can take to get the most people riled up to listen waiting for someone to correct them, that is the one they will take. Stop listening and enjoy yourself.

Still waiting on some help with this question:

I apparently don't understand how radio stations can measure who listens to their analog broadcasts, and thus give them ratings. Please explain this to me.

So how do they know he tuned into their analog radio signal for a few minutes?

I don't think they do. And if my 15 minutes a day is that important to them, they are screwed.

Half of those minutes are ADs by the way. Terrible.

Yes. It goes back to the '80's. No clue how or why he jumped on the Miami band wagon back then, but he really despises both Penn State and Notre Dame. He actually used to wear a Miami National Champioship ring from one of their title years. He's not an alum and has no connection to the program that I know of.

LOL. Now thats the sign of a perpetual loser.:cool:

Reactions: john4psu

The funniest thing I heard on air was one day they had Pirates announcer Joe Block on the morning show, after which they started to make fun of him. So 30 minutes later, Bob Walk calls in and literally reams them on air. And they had to sit there and take it. They are the Pirates flagship. and they are there busting on the play by play guy. It was Epic.

This is why they can't rail on the Pitt program, but they can knock Penn State all they want.

Reactions: john4psu

That idiot Eskin is a huge jock sniffer from way back and had some kind of relationship I think with Jimmie Johnson - he is a local joke who made himself a National Joke last with with his question to the new Phillies Manager about coconut oil - people at the national level we laughing at his stupidity all over the place - another guy who makes a career out of being hated.

That idiot Eskin is a huge jock sniffer from way back and had some kind of relationship I think with Jimmie Johnson - he is a local joke who made himself a National Joke last with with his question to the new Phillies Manager about coconut oil - people at the national level we laughing at his stupidity all over the place - another guy who makes a career out of being hated.
I quit listening to the fan years ago. It is called yack radio. Francesca was and is the biggest wind bag ever. Turn it off

The funniest thing I heard on air was one day they had Pirates announcer Joe Block on the morning show, after which they started to make fun of him. So 30 minutes later, Bob Walk calls in and literally reams them on air. And they had to sit there and take it. They are the Pirates flagship. and they are there busting on the play by play guy. It was Epic.

This is why they can't rail on the Pitt program, but they can knock Penn State all they want.

They DO rail on the Pitt program. They tore Pitt a new one after a few of the earlier games. Some Pitt fans have literally asked why they even sponsor the broadcast of their games. Believe me, most Pitt fans do not like the FAN. I will say some of them were picking PSU to upset OSU, and really bragging up PSU. But, after the loss, and this week too, they railed on them. It is a talk show I guess, but they look for controversy and attention to get callers and promote discussion.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT