ADVERTISEMENT

21 Clemson Players Test Positive

*Some* young people have been hospitalized and died

I don't think football will take place and if it does I can't go because I'm in a high risk category. With that said, show me one case where a young person died that didn't have a serious health issue prior to contracting covid. Every case that I've read about where someone young died is later proven that they had some serious health issues prior.

Nearly 120,000 dead Americans are sadly unable to appreciate your sarcasm.
Agreed. I work in healthcare and can attest to this. A lot of people in my industry will never be the same mentally after witnessing so much death in hospitals and nursing homes. I have nutjobs in my own family who think this is some fake media created fantasy but it is very real.

A few thousand people people died on Sept 11 and the result was a heightened police state and a definitive erosion of our freedoms. I am curious if some here feel that was also an overreaction by the government? The potential of terrorism was more acutely heightened in the coastal cities back then similar to the potential of covid outbreaks in high density like NYC.

A few thousand people people died on Sept 11 and the result was a heightened police state and a definitive erosion of our freedoms. I am curious if some here feel that was also an overreaction by the government? The potential of terrorism was more acutely heightened in the coastal cities back then similar to the potential of covid outbreaks in high density like NYC.
It absolutely was an overreaction. The problem with the government is once they start doing something they never stop, regardless of whether it works or not. One example, remember when they made getting Claritin D really difficult to get because people were using it to make meth and they wanted to stop the meth problem. Well, here we are years later, the meth problem is far worse, yet it’s still easier to get heroin than Claritin D. Why can’t they just realize it didn’t work and put it back on the shelves for the people who really need it.

It absolutely was an overreaction. The problem with the government is once they start doing something they never stop, regardless of whether it works or not. One example, remember when they made getting Claritin D really difficult to get because people were using it to make meth and they wanted to stop the meth problem. Well, here we are years later, the meth problem is far worse, yet it’s still easier to get heroin than Claritin D. Why can’t they just realize it didn’t work and put it back on the shelves for the people who really need it.
Although I disagree with some of your posts, I seriously applaud you for your consistency.

120000 did not die of covid. 120,000 died with covid. A very big difference..... flue is way worse. Alcohol consumption is way worse,, drugs are 100x worse. Data supports this. No way 23 football players test positive for the flue and are asymatic. This is simply an odd strain that we are slowly figuring out how to treat. I moved on with life and the consequences weeks ago... football also needs to.
Not to mention how many states ordered infected people into nursing homes that jacked up the number of deaths?

Reactions: Ski and bison13
I don't think football will take place and if it does I can't go because I'm in a high risk category. With that said, show me one case where a young person died that didn't have a serious health issue prior to contracting covid. Every case that I've read about where someone young died is later proven that they had some serious health issues prior.

Not sure if she had pre existing conditions, still 23?

Reactions: step.eng69
Problem is if something negative were to happen the media and the public would be all over them. Can't win, and it's probably better to be safe in any case. Gotta figure that goes into their thinking.

30 LSU players test positive
The reality is that most of these incoming freshmen were in high school where the virus was active throughout the last 5 months. Not 1 kid who tested positive at Clemson has any symptoms. I'd bet almost all of the kids have antibodies.

I know of at least 20 kids in the local high school that tested positive for it so I'd figure that probably at least five times that actually got it and took it home to their family and friends as well. Not saying that it's not serious for some people but the reality is that in 99+% of people who are not diabetic, have hypertension or some other respiratory disorder have no issues.

Cases is the worst way to show data, ICU and deaths are going down almost everywhere, even in florida.

Yes. I think it was an over-reach. I am NOT blaming anyone. Hind-sight is 20/20 and we are all perfect with the benefit of hindsight. But if you go back to pre-911, there were just so many clues, and pieces of information that our intelligence communities either missed, ignored, or did not share with each other that simply would have prevented that event. I believe after 911, the law enforcement & intelligence communities became better at sharing information, gathering information and being alert to potential signs. I believe this stuff has way more to do with the success of preventing another 911 disaster than having Granny strip searched going thru security at Harrisburg Airport.

Reactions: Nittany Ziggy
These guys may be great case samples. I believe it was 13 players at Texas, 23 at Clemson, 30+ at LSU ..... let's follow these guys, and see what happens. By my count just at those 3 schools we have 60+ case samples of players who tested positive. They are positive already. So let's see what happens with them. How many of the 60+ get deathly ill. how many have almost no symptoms ..... Studying cases like this is how we get statistical data that can be useful moving fwd.

I really cannot see much of a season happening in college football or any of the professional team sports until there is a good treatment, vaccine or at least until there is a better way for society to deal with the virus. For these seasons to happen, the players would have to be exposed to the virus now and I cannot see that happening intentionally as nobody would want to take the risk that a player would die or become serious ill from it. Football players play with bigger risks than COVID-19 such as concussions, spinal injuries, etc., but since COVID-19 is still a bit unknown nobody is going to take the risk. These seasons may possibly start, but once outbreaks of positive tests happen during the season what happens then.

The reality is that most of these incoming freshmen were in high school where the virus was active throughout the last 5 months. Not 1 kid who tested positive at Clemson has any symptoms. I'd bet almost all of the kids have antibodies.

I know of at least 20 kids in the local high school that tested positive for it so I'd figure that probably at least five times that actually got it and took it home to their family and friends as well. Not saying that it's not serious for some people but the reality is that in 99+% of people who are not diabetic, have hypertension or some other respiratory disorder have no issues.

Cases is the worst way to show data, ICU and deaths are going down almost everywhere, even in florida.
It is impossible to draw any conclusions regarding these outbreaks without having some context. Some answers to these questions would help:
a) Was this the first round of testing as these players (in all sports) arrived in camp?
b) Or, are these cases of players that tested negative when they arrived and subsequently tested positive?
In case a, it is not an "outbreak". In case b, it is very much an outbreak.
These guys may be great case samples. .... Studying cases like this is how we get statistical data that can be useful moving fwd.
I agree that this data will be very beneficial moving forward. I just wish we had it presented with some context instead of Twitter headlines.

Yes. I think it was an over-reach. I am NOT blaming anyone. Hind-sight is 20/20 and we are all perfect with the benefit of hindsight. But if you go back to pre-911, there were just so many clues, and pieces of information that our intelligence communities either missed, ignored, or did not share with each other that simply would have prevented that event. I believe after 911, the law enforcement & intelligence communities became better at sharing information, gathering information and being alert to potential signs. I believe this stuff has way more to do with the success of preventing another 911 disaster than having Granny strip searched going thru security at Harrisburg Airport.

giphy.gif

According to this website, 27 people in the U.S under the age of 25 have died from the virus:

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/covid_weekly/index.htm#AgeAndSex

To put that number in perspective, there are 120 million people in the U.S. who are under 25. Which means, .0000225% of the population under 25 has died from the virus.

For comparison, on average 27 people per year in the U.S. are struck and killed by lightning. Which is the equivalent of .00000575% of the population o_O

You're reading it wrong (though your point is still on). The number is 286 (out of 27,836 deaths in that age group)

From CDC websites for my family. Aged 18-44 About 800,000 tested positive & 2,479 died. Covid19 is .3% risk. Over 55,171 died of other causes. That is 3/0 of 1% and Otis frantically lower under age 23. Lower tha 1/10 of %. They re exposed to many things that rd much more dangerous than covid19. The CDC data is the best we have. People are being unnecessarily frightened.

Reactions: katchthis
From CDC websites for my family. Aged 18-44 About 800,000 tested positive & 2,479 died. Covid19 is .3% risk. Over 55,171 died of other causes. That is 3/0 of 1% and Otis frantically lower under age 23. Lower tha 1/10 of %. They re exposed to many things that rd much more dangerous than covid19. The CDC data is the best we have. People are being unnecessarily frightened.

And the CDC says there are 10x more cases out there, so drop that to 0.03%.

But then people says "well covid has long term effects"

Well so does the flu

Sinus and ear infections are examples of moderate complications from flu, while pneumonia is a serious flu complication that can result from either influenza virus infection alone or from co-infection of flu virus and bacteria. Other possible serious complications triggered by flu can include inflammation of the heart (myocarditis), brain (encephalitis) or muscle (myositis, rhabdomyolysis) tissues, and multi-organ failure (for example, respiratory and kidney failure). Flu virus infection of the respiratory tract can trigger an extreme inflammatory response in the body and can lead to sepsis, the body’s life-threatening response to infection. Flu also can make chronic medical problems worse. For example, people with asthma may experience asthma attacks while they have flu, and people with chronic heart disease may experience a worsening of this condition triggered by flu.

Reactions: bison13
These guys may be great case samples. I believe it was 13 players at Texas, 23 at Clemson, 30+ at LSU ..... let's follow these guys, and see what happens. By my count just at those 3 schools we have 60+ case samples of players who tested positive. They are positive already. So let's see what happens with them. How many of the 60+ get deathly ill. how many have almost no symptoms ..... Studying cases like this is how we get statistical data that can be useful moving fwd.

And this is another problem. I guarantee there will be no future updates on the covid positive players' conditions. At least no update by a major news organization. If there is a season, it may get mentioned in passing during a game, but it's obvious this news is meant only to scare and get clicks. I'd love to know how many are hospitalized or are showing zero or mild symptoms, but I bet we never find out.

Franklin needs to get our kids sick now so they’re ready for the season this fall.

HERD. IMMUNITY. :eek:

And this is another problem. I guarantee there will be no future updates on the covid positive players' conditions. At least no update by a major news organization. If there is a season, it may get mentioned in passing during a game, but it's obvious this news is meant only to scare and get clicks. I'd love to know how many are hospitalized or are showing zero or mild symptoms, but I bet we never find out.
It's not getting headlines, but there was a mention of Clemson's players in this ESPN piece:

Including the football players, Clemson athletics reported 19 total cases this week. Since beginning testing on June 1, Clemson has conducted 430 tests, with a total of 47 positive results.

Twenty-eight people who previously tested positive, including 23 football players, have completed a 10-day isolation period. The school said about half of those people had symptoms, though none of the positive tests had led to hospitalizations as of Friday.

Those who tested positive have been notified and must isolate for at least 10 days. Known close contacts have also been asked to self-quarantine for at least 14 days and cannot participate in voluntary activity during that time.

Less than that for those that are asymptomatic, and LESS lethal in their age group than the flu.
Ok. The number of people under the age of 25 is 286, which is .0002 percent of that age group.

For comparison, 14 people were shot and killed in Chicago over the weekend. Chicago has a population of 2.706 million people. Thus for comparison, .0005 percent of the population of Chicago was shot and killed this past weekend.

This website found that for those from Age 10-19 have an there was a death rate of 1 in 312000 if I haven’t got my zeros wrong. https://www.acsh.org/news/2020/06/23/coronavirus-covid-deaths-us-age-race-14863 [infection fatality rate of .00032%) Will assume that half of those who died had co-morbidities. Thus, I would argue that healthy people 19 and under have an inconsequential risk of death of 1 in 624,000. Even if the risk was much lower, such as a 1 in 20,000 risk of death that is very manageable and akin to maybe sky diving or riding a helicopter on the Big Island of Hawaii which has windy conditions.

The issue is not risk to the players, but risk of spreading the disease to those who are more vulnerable such as coaches and family members, which is a very serious issue.

Reactions: colt21

It's still a big unknown if the kids in the younger demographic will have long term health issues or not. That should be a major concern.

Reactions: Tony '83
Yes.GGO is showing up in people who are asymptomatic and those who experienced only mild symptoms.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/willia...d-19-infection-may-fade-quickly/#7a37248972e1
This should be of major concern to the younger people...

"The first unexpected finding is that CAT-scans of the lung showed that two-thirds of those with no clinical signs of Covid-19 had what are called ground-glass opacity abnormalities typical of Covid-19 in at least one lung, and one-third showed ground-glass opacities in both lungs. In simple terms, SARS-CoV-2 is damaging the lungs of the majority who seem symptom-free. The long term health effects of such injuries may be apparent in later life.

A second somewhat unexpected finding is that the virus load upon initial detection was indistinguishable between the two infected groups. At least in the early stages of infection, the amount of virus detected in nasal swabs is not an indication of subsequent disease progression."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT