ADVERTISEMENT

21 Clemson Players Test Positive

My life has been affected by the bad economy. Apparently as long as you’re working, you don’t care about anyone else.

And my family has been affected by the virus. Apparently all those people that have died and will die because of this don't matter either.

Reactions: NittanyChris
And my family has been affected by the virus. Apparently all those people that have died and will die because of this don't matter either.
There are far fewer of those than the amount affected by the economy. There has to be a trade off at some point.

My life has been affected by the bad economy. Apparently as long as you’re working, you don’t care about anyone else.
Well, I'm retired. It's not like my IRA and other investments haven't taken a hit. The bad economy is temporary. The loss of life, and in some cases permanent health damage, are not. And I do wish you the best in getting back on track once all of this is in the rear-view mirror. Keep the faith, AWS.

Well, I'm retired. It's not like my IRA and other investments haven't taken a hit. The bad economy is temporary. The loss of life, and in some cases permanent health damage, are not. And I do wish you the best in getting back on track once all of this is in the rear-view mirror. Keep the faith, AWS.
And a “temporary” bad economy that lasts years is not really temporary. Also, for people who’ve lost their businesses and life savings, it’s not really temporary either. The percentage of death and permanent damage doesn’t justify the long term destruction to the economy.

There are far fewer of those than the amount affected by the economy. There has to be a trade off at some point.

So money and the economy is more important than the loss of human life. Try telling that to the families of the hundreds of thousands of people who have died from a virus that we don't have any consistent treatment for as of now.

Reactions: marshall23
So money and the economy is more important than the loss of human life. Try telling that to the families of the hundreds of thousands of people who have died from a virus that we don't have any consistent treatment for as of now.
Hundred thousand people compared to 38 million....hmm, seems a little lopsided. So yes, money and the economy have always been more important than the loss of human life...look at the history of the world. We allow cars, alcohol, fast food, etc....all cause death, but are legal. There has and will always be a trade off, except for the coronavirus for some reason.

And a “temporary” bad economy that lasts years is not really temporary. Also, for people who’ve lost their businesses and life savings, it’s not really temporary either. The percentage of death and permanent damage doesn’t justify the long term destruction to the economy.
Well that is very hard if not impossible to quantify. What I will say is that, again, when this is over those folks who may have suffered even devastating economic damage have at least a chance to regain their lives. Those who die from Covid 19 do not. In any case, the two are linked. The longer this is allowed to continue the harder on the economy it will be. Short term election year fixes such as opening too early, in the long term, will be detrimental to both the health of individuals and the economy. That said, I'd love to be proven wrong on this. Stay safe and best of luck.

Reactions: step.eng69
Hundred thousand people compared to 38 million....hmm, seems a little lopsided. So yes, money and the economy have always been more important than the loss of human life...look at the history of the world. We allow cars, alcohol, fast food, etc....all cause death, but are legal. There has and will always be a trade off, except for the coronavirus for some reason.

Comparing someone who is unemployed to someone who is dead is just plain terrible, come on man. That's lower than low. The history of the world is full of moronic and barbaric leaders when you mention prioritizing money over human life (which ironically is actually bad for economies long term, and plenty of civilizations over history have proven this), and so because that's the way human history has always been we should be that way now?

I know what that reason is!
What is it, Mt. Nittany? Enough of the cryptic garbage, just put it out there. You're good at calling people names and what not, so show your cards.

Last edited:
Comparing someone who is unemployed to someone who is dead is just plain terrible, come on man. That's lower than low. The history of the world is full of moronic and barbaric leaders when you mention prioritizing money over human life (which ironically is actually bad for economies long term, and plenty of civilizations over history have proven this), and so because that's the way human history has always been we should be that way now?
I used those numbers to show the difference between the number that’s been affected by the virus vs. the number affected by a bad economy. And choosing economy over human life is not something from ancient history, it happens every day. I guess we should outlaw cars since they cause so many deaths. Ban alcohol, kills a ton of people. Trade offs have and always will be made. And it’s not barbaric, it’s life....what’s best for the many outweighs what’s best for the few.

Reactions: NoBareFeet
I used those numbers to show the difference between the number that’s been affected by the virus vs. the number affected by a bad economy. And choosing economy over human life is not something from ancient history, it happens every day. I guess we should outlaw cars since they cause so many deaths. Ban alcohol, kills a ton of people. Trade offs have and always will be made. And it’s not barbaric, it’s life....what’s best for the many outweighs what’s best for the few.

It does happen everyday because of humanity's innate selfishness, but it doesn't make it right or make it the best option (it usually isn't the best option). And the other things that you said we should outlaw you can't compare, everything you listed are things where deaths happen because of human error that (in most cases) could be prevented. Covid (and other pathological diseases such as this) don't apply, especially if you can't tell who has it or is spreading it.

I'd like to think that our government make decisions that are the best for many, but the results and what I see tell me otherwise. Not to mention if the government would have done a better job with the management and communication of this we may not be in this place arguing over this.

It does happen everyday because of humanity's innate selfishness, but it doesn't make it right or make it the best option (it usually isn't the best option). And the other things that you said we should outlaw you can't compare, everything you listed are things where deaths happen because of human error that (in most cases) could be prevented. Covid (and other pathological diseases such as this) don't apply, especially if you can't tell who has it or is spreading it.

I'd like to think that our government make decisions that are the best for many, but the results and what I see tell me otherwise. Not to mention if the government would have done a better job with the management and communication of this we may not be in this place arguing over this.
They’re not making decisions that are best for the many now. Sorry, there’s no way they are.

They’re not making decisions that are best for the many now. Sorry, there’s no way they are.

That's what I said above. Our governments both republican and democrat make decisions that generally benefit a very small percentage of people (which has happened all throughout human history, and it's clear in the way the government handled this pandemic that they are completely incapable of good communication and process decision.

I know I'm going off-topic here, but I am a logistics and supply chain guy, and so I routinely have to communicate supply plans and instructions to a large and varied group of stakeholders, many of whom don't know the first thing about supply chain. I'd like to think that I know what a well-functioning organization looks like. To me, the federal government is one of the most dysfunctional and disorganized organizations I have ever seen. It's really embarrassing to see grown adults in those positions be completely incapable of good leadership, starting at the top.

That's what I said above. Our governments both republican and democrat make decisions that generally benefit a very small percentage of people (which has happened all throughout human history, and it's clear in the way the government handled this pandemic that they are completely incapable of good communication and process decision.

I know I'm going off-topic here, but I am a logistics and supply chain guy, and so I routinely have to communicate supply plans and instructions to a large and varied group of stakeholders, many of whom don't know the first thing about supply chain. I'd like to think that I know what a well-functioning organization looks like. To me, the federal government is one of the most dysfunctional and disorganized organizations I have ever seen. It's really embarrassing to see grown adults in those positions be completely incapable of good leadership, starting at the top.
Doesn’t take a logistics guy to see that the government is a clusterf**k and has been for decades. Just go into any government run operation and try to get something done.

Well said. Not saying AWS, but there are many who will never admit to the veracity of your last sentence despite over whelming evidence.

If cars would actually follow safe distancing, like they are supposed to we would have far fewer car accidents. Just sayin

Well said. Not saying AWS, but there are many who will never admit to the veracity of your last sentence despite over whelming evidence.
Depends on which level of government he’s talking about.

Okay, you have signaled your virtue.

Where do we go from here? What does this Clemson example tell us about plans for college football in 2020?

giphy.gif

Don’t worry, the trade has already been made. Not one governor whose state has reopened has indicated that another shutdown will happen. Florida’s governor, in particular, has explicitly said that there will be no second shutdown. You’ve got your wish.

I think as long as all the student athletes have asymptomatic or mild cases of Covid, things will keep moving towards having a season. If however, any of the student athletes must be hospitalized, go on a ventilator, or God forbid, die, NCAA sports will get shut down immediately.

I think as long as all the student athletes have asymptomatic or mild cases of Covid, things will keep moving towards having a season. If however, any of the student athletes must be hospitalized, go on a ventilator, or God forbid, die, NCAA sports will get shut down immediately.
Depends on the sport. Most have close physical contact with the opponent and that's a problem. You start getting numbers like Clemson I think they'll shut it down. Keep in mind, they have more to consider than just the athletes on the field.

Reactions: NittanyChris
Don’t worry, the trade has already been made. Not one governor whose state has reopened has indicated that another shutdown will happen. Florida’s governor, in particular, has explicitly said that there will be no second shutdown. You’ve got your wish.
There shouldn’t be...and it’s not just my wish, I can assure you.

120000 did not die of covid. 120,000 died with covid. A very big difference..... flue is way worse. Alcohol consumption is way worse,, drugs are 100x worse. Data supports this. No way 23 football players test positive for the flue and are asymatic. This is simply an odd strain that we are slowly figuring out how to treat. I moved on with life and the consequences weeks ago... football also needs to.

Has there been any info regarding how many of the athletes were symptomatic?

This just in .......MLB closing all facilities in Arizona and Florida due to spike in COVID-19 virus. What the hell do they know? We gotta open sometime! All these players are young and healthy......no risk.

This just in .......MLB closing all facilities in Arizona and Florida due to spike in COVID-19 virus. What the hell do they know? We gotta open sometime! All these players are young and healthy......no risk.
Why are you rooting for the virus?

Reactions: PSUFBFAN
I say shut it down if people can't wear a mask and social distance. 50,000 people is a pitri dish. I doubt, if they have FB, we will see more than 35k.
Here is something to think about regarding attendance.... Let's say I am in a stadium with 35,000 other people. Has anybody realized that I will probably be at least 20' away from 34,980 of those people? Furthermore, if I am in a state that limits gatherings to no more than 250 people, I can probably stay at least 6 feet away from less than that - with some reasonable planning in terms of entering, exiting, etc.

Reactions: scottpsurules
Here is something to think about regarding attendance.... Let's say I am in a stadium with 35,000 other people. Has anybody realized that I will probably be at least 20' away from 34,980 of those people? Furthermore, if I am in a state that limits gatherings to no more than 250 people, I can probably stay at least 6 feet away from less than that - with some reasonable planning in terms of entering, exiting, etc.
I think gatherings can occur using common sense guidelines and assuming people respect distancing etc. I think the bigger problem will be keeping teams on the field. What if an offensive lineman is positive? Who does he have most contact with? Easy, the entire OL room. So you have 3 or 4 out for a game. Now 3 or 4 injuries can be common to football. But, all to your 2 deep at one position? Remember when our LB core got hit? Better yet, what if it hits the QB room?

My concern with football is the numbers game. There's about 12,000-13,000 players in D1 football. Say that 5% of them this season end up with Covid...700 or so. 699 of those may be fine, but if just one ends up in ICU or worse I think the season ends immediately.

1 out of 700 is certainly not a stretch even given it's known limited impact on young people. *Some* young people have been hospitalized and died and if 700 players get this thing I'd say there's a fairly high probability that happens.

Have gone out to eat last two night nights. All staff wearing masks and all tables in restaurant well space out. Customers not wearing masks nor should they have to. I’m not going to wear a mask in between bites.

Glad economy is reopening and most people seem to be at least somewhat cautious.

Reactions: scottpsurules
Whoa. 23 according to this report

Clemson athletics announced Friday that thus far in the month of June, 28 individuals have tested positive for COVID-19 out of 315 completed tests. According to The Athletic's Grace Raynor, 23 of those positive tests stem from football players.

The university said in a statement that it has notified and isolated each of the individuals who have tested positive for at least 10 days.

Those known to have close contact with them have also been asked to quarantine for at least 14 days. The athletic department said most of the total cases have been asymptomatic.

https://www.si.com/college/2020/06/19/clemson-athletics-coronavirus-tests-positive

Clemson is now the favorite to win the MNC. At this rate, their team will be over and done with COVID by September.

Reactions: PSUFBFAN
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT