ADVERTISEMENT

2023 Senior worlds September 16-24

So let me ask you guys--it seems like most here were confident the 4 near the end of the 1st would ultimately be awarded to David. My brother and I were not as confident. We were mad at Casey for challenging (the joke is usually on those who feel that way, I know).

I know that sequence was off of David's attack, and I know they want to award the aggressors in that way. It still looked to me like a classic chest-wrap counter off a single. I couldn't see how David would have planned to flip over backwards in that way (exposing) on purpose to finish his TD. We were happy to be wrong, of course--and I wasn't even all that worried about David being down 6-1, TBH--but I'd love to have it explained to me to my satisfaction--if that is possible. The countless instagram Iranian fans certainly feel mad online about it all.

He does not lack self confidence. And I think he's correct.
Since he took over the 86kg spot he's dominated everyone with the exception of Yazdani, who only beat him once coming only a few months after DT's Olympic win. And Yazdani dominates everyone not named David Taylor.

Sadulaev has an argument to be in the same conversation, but he wrestles far more close matches than DT. Burroughs has a greater career but also wrestled lots of close matches.

And if you rewind the clock it's difficult to come up with anyone in FS who dominated the way DT has over as long a stretch.

Since the post-Olympic match the only wrestler to give DT a genuine scare was Aaron Brooks.

Don’t forget Lord Spencer’s unique knowledge of wrestling and par terre that no one on earth possesses
I didn't. It's just a rung below all of his hypothetical Senior results. Which is a rung below the time he beat Ditka.
usa network GIF by Suits

Love David, the wrestler. I don’t quite love him as the next Penn State head wrestling coach
I do. He will continue the dynasty if given the chance. David will be a great recruiter, is a great tactician, is all about scoring, focuses on constant improvement, has all the accolades to gain his wrestlers respect, and has proven he can coach kids to a high level.

IMHO he's the closest thing we may ever see to Cael.

So let me ask you guys--it seems like most here were confident the 4 near the end of the 1st would ultimately be awarded to David. My brother and I were not as confident. We were mad at Casey for challenging (the joke is usually on those who feel that way, I know).

I know that sequence was off of David's attack, and I know they want to award the aggressors in that way. It still looked to me like a classic chest-wrap counter off a single. I couldn't see how David would have planned to flip over backwards in that way (exposing) on purpose to finish his TD. We were happy to be wrong, of course--and I wasn't even all that worried about David being down 6-1, TBH--but I'd love to have it explained to me to my satisfaction--if that is possible. The countless instagram Iranian fans certainly feel mad online about it all.
It’s funny because I admittedly know very little about Freestyle scoring and intricacies. But I felt kind of confident that, if the wrestler who controlled/caused the action is the rewarded wrestler, it had to be Taylor.

I say this because he caused the feet to back, one movement, and while Yaz got to an exposure, he controlled only that portion of the sequence. He never gets to the exposure at all except that DT controlled through to the point where he has to get the 4 for controlling the move. Had DT stopped, given any impression he was trying to get out, and the wrap goes through, it should be scored as it originally was. But it went right to where DT wanted through the 4 on his side, then the 2 exposure, getting to where Yaz wants it, then DT comes out for the 1.

Or I admittedly could be 100% wrong.

My first thought was that it would stand as well. But I used Yianni as an example when it happened and it's still useful to demonstrate why it should be DT's points.

Yianni has amazing feel and if someone is in on his legs he'll wait for the exact moment before he's about to lose the position and try to initiate the turn himself, or at least appear to initiate the turn. His matches are always stopped to figure out who scored, usually when it's next to impossible to tell which wrestler initiated first.

I don't have the rulebook in front of me but I've always felt that if you're the wrestler in the defensive position there, it should be especially clear that you didn't merely jump into the driver's seat of a ride you had no choice in taking.

Sometimes it's clear, such as when the offensive wrestler loses their hold midway through, a strong indication that they didn't mean to take that ride.

Now look at the replay: DT never loses the hold, nor did he change direction. He did what he meant to do.

Where it's difficult to ascertain which wrestler initiated first, I think ties should "go to the runner," i.e., the offensive wrestler.

When did the rules change for pins in international wrestling?

"If an American has his openent on his back obviously decked, the referee needs to dance around out of position for a full 3 count before going to the mat. A 4 count is then needed for a pin"

Sheesh!

Since he took over the 86kg spot he's dominated everyone with the exception of Yazdani, who only beat him once coming only a few months after DT's Olympic win. And Yazdani dominates everyone not named David Taylor.

Sadulaev has an argument to be in the same conversation, but he wrestles far more close matches than DT. Burroughs has a greater career but also wrestled lots of close matches.

And if you rewind the clock it's difficult to come up with anyone in FS who dominated the way DT has over as long a stretch.

Since the post-Olympic match the only wrestler to give DT a genuine scare was Aaron Brooks.
Until he did that finger thing after he won today, I sort of lost track this was number 4. If he gets another Olympic gold, he's definitely in the argument.

That's a problem Russia is used to having. That's good news for USA
Serious question, how many of those guys that leave Russia to wrestle for other places ever actually beat a Russian?

Willie has gone so far as to say that it’s almost rigged, for their own health, and understood that head to head you don’t win against a Russian.

But I actually wonder if there exists cases that the guy who wrestles for another country goes ahead and hurts Russia at all.

That male announcer is/was bad and clueless. Erica knows her stuff.
Erica was a little chippy with he co-announcer yesterday. He made a comment and her response was - I guess you never saw me wrestle.

She knows the sport, just don't be over confident.
Erica knows her stuff. The guy announcing was just a "voice", he was terrible.

Taylor still had his hold; never broke. Pretty clearly, from all angles I’ve seen. Per the rules, those are his points. 4 Taylor, 2 Yaz, 1 Taylor.

Reactions: Creek Side
Today's match just proves Taylor needs to learn from Spencer how to defend a head pinch.
I still get a kick remembering Vodka and others on HR saying DT has never done anything and never will. Yeah, he's won 3 NCAA's, but other than that...lmao.

Reactions: Cali_Nittany
That male announcer is/was bad and clueless. Erica knows her stuff.

Erica knows her stuff. The guy announcing was just a "voice", he was terrible.
She didn't know enough to pick Zain or David in her prognostications shown in arena pre-finals.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT