ADVERTISEMENT

2023 Senior worlds September 16-24

What are Zain and Vito going to do next year? They both seem like true tweeners. Vito looks too big to make 57kg and Zain too big to make 65kg but I don’t know. I think Vito has the frame to move up and go 65kg but I’m sure him and Yianni don’t want to be at the same weight. Zain has been a different animal at 70kg. Anyone know if they have talked about what they plan to do?

Reactions: David Keller
Just recalling that fluky pin Zain gave up at the Pan Ams when he needed to qualify the weight for the US and what a burden that must've felt like. And all the early first-round disappointments at 65kg. How much sweeter this must feel with that all in the rearview mirror.

What are Zain and Vito going to do next year? They both seem like true tweeners. Vito looks too big to make 57kg and Zain too big to make 65kg but I don’t know. I think Vito has the frame to move up and go 65kg but I’m sure him and Yianni don’t want to be at the same weight. Zain has been a different animal at 70kg. Anyone know if they have talked about what they plan to do?
I would think the NLWC boys are focused only on this year - especially the one's competing. Lee is in that 65 mix as well.... wonder how hard we are pushing for olympic weight increases (USOC)

David Taylor v Yazdanicherati for gold at 86kg, part VI
  • Lots of handfighting to start.
  • DT warned for passivity
  • Yazdani had a front headlock but did nothing with it
  • DT on clock, which is fair. 1-0m :45 remaining
  • Ugh, DT gets a double, Yazdani with a chest wrap for four. DT gets behind. 4-1
  • DT challenges, but I think that'll stand. This is like a Yianni scoring question. Something happened, question is who scored. DT didn't really change direction though and never let go, I think it was his move, helped along by the chest wrap.
  • DT wins challenge, up 5-3. Iranian fans unhappy.
  • Break. Not much action except for that huge sequence.
  • DT shot can't reach his legs, Yazdani front headlock again. Grounded.
  • DT in on legs, Yazdani looking chest wrap again, DT doesn't take the bait, comes out back and settles behind for a 7-2 lead.
  • :45 remaining
  • DT staying low, dives for a leg, gets it. Yazdani has his head. David pops it and he's going to get the pin!
  • David Taylor holding up four fingers for his fourth Olympic/world championship. Awesome.

Last edited:
This is going to get more contentious. I didn't think it was 4 for Yaz as DT initiated.

Reactions: mcpat
I think that cements him as the best wrestler in the US right now. Dake, Burroughs, and Snyder are also in contention but Burroughs didn’t make the team so he’s out. If Snyder beats Sadulaev and Dake beats Sidakov it might change things but no one in the world is close to DT right now at 86kg. Dake has had close matches this tournament and Snyder has close matches this year. DT is blowing everyone out of the water and now holds a 5-1 record against one of the best wrestlers of this generation. He is truly truly special

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT