ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestling 2023 NCAA Bracket Release Thread

How does a guy who beat Fix, Mueller, Myers, Lizak, Pletcher, Wilson, Gomez, Byrd ... how does that guy never make the podium?

One of life's mysteries -- like f-ing magnets, how do they work?
If one never shoots and isn't 100% effective with his defense, then one becomes vulnerable to a large percentage of their competitors. As much as he is a threat to beat anybody, he is more likely to lose to a 4 - 13 kid than beat multiple good guys in succession.

Murin is whimp! He won by running away and stalling all day against SVN!!! He get exactly what he deserves for that cowardly display, Yanni 2nd round and into the consoli's!!!!!!! That is what happens when you don't like tough wrestling!

I see some old questionable posters are starting to crawl out of the sewer once post season hits.

I can't wait for the football-board mouth breathers to storm into the forum the moment PSU suffers their first setback. [facepalm]....

I'm sure MizzouFan-J'den-Cox-suck-up, DeadFish-JOliver-suck-up and some of the others will be close behind....

Best time of the year !! 🤣

I watched Foca vs Lewis at Las Vegas. Foca got in really deep on Lewis 4-5 times but just couldn’t finish. Lewis beat him by a 2 or 3 point margin. I know Lewis isn’t Starocci, but Starocci is the better wrestler.
Foca lost to Lewis 3-2 at CKLV (his only loss of the year). Last year (before he got concussed), he lost to Lewis 3-1 in SV, and Starocci 3-2 the day before down in Floriduh. The difference in the Starocci match was a 3rd period ride out (Foca got the only takedown of the match, and gave up two escapes).

Don't underestimate Foca.

I just ran through my initial 197 projection, and it's definitely the most F'd up draw I've ever looked at:

1. (5) Beard
2. (6) Trumble
3. (9) Dean
4. (1) Bonnacorsi
5. (8) Allred
6. (2) Truax
7. (19) Caffey
8. (4) Laird

Warner beats Caffey in round 1, but on the backside, Warner gets Bonnacorsi in the BR (falling down from losing to Dean in the Qs) while Caffey gets the most favorable draw possible on the backside and snakes his way through Davison, Bastida, Braunagel, and Cardenas in the BR to sneak onto the podium. Trumble beats Elam in the Qs then falls down into a brutal match against Allred in the BR.

I wouldn't mind seeing Beard win if Dean doesn't, but man, it's like every match is 50-50.
I know I keep beating the Cody Brewer dead horse, but his was another upside down bracket:
1 - 13 Brewer
2 - 3 Clark
3 - 9 Schopp
4 - 1 Dardanes
5 - 7 Gulibon
6 - 10 Beckman
7 - 2 Taylor
8 - 14 Bruno

** Covid year brackets broke the unpredictability meter.

I wrestled at USAFA from 2009-2013, so graduated the same year as Cole Von Ohlen.

Did you ever wrestle Scott Frohardt? He was one of our last AAs. Believe he graduated in 2002. Was deployed with him a few years ago. Good guy.
I know Scott from high school. I wrestled his teammate in high school Cory McNellis. The Air Force kid I wrestled was Ryan Montanez.

I know I keep beating the Cody Brewer dead horse, but his was another upside down bracket:
1 - 13 Brewer
2 - 3 Clark
3 - 9 Schopp
4 - 1 Dardanes
5 - 7 Gulibon
6 - 10 Beckman
7 - 2 Taylor
8 - 14 Bruno

** Covid year brackets broke the unpredictability meter.
There are always crazy actual results. Predictions stick closer to chalk, except this one, which I guess means that the results will be close to chalk, LOL.

I just ran through my initial 197 projection, and it's definitely the most F'd up draw I've ever looked at:

1. (5) Beard
2. (6) Trumble
3. (9) Dean
4. (1) Bonnacorsi
5. (8) Allred
6. (2) Truax
7. (19) Caffey
8. (4) Laird

Warner beats Caffey in round 1, but on the backside, Warner gets Bonnacorsi in the BR (falling down from losing to Dean in the Qs) while Caffey gets the most favorable draw possible on the backside and snakes his way through Davison, Bastida, Braunagel, and Cardenas in the BR to sneak onto the podium. Trumble beats Elam in the Qs then falls down into a brutal match against Allred in the BR.

I wouldn't mind seeing Beard win if Dean doesn't, but man, it's like every match is 50-50.
Caffeys draw is anything but favorable if that’s his path. Davison is winnable but then Bastida, Braunagel, and Cardenas would all be favored in my eyes. No easy paths in this weight

Reactions: Cali_Nittany
I was impressed the way Nagao was able to ride RBY. It seemed RBY was being very cautious and when he tried to get out he was unable. Do you guys think RBY was just measuring Nagao for a possible rematch? I hope if RBY is up by 4 he goes neutral with his choice.
I don’t think RBY was going crazy trying to get out… I mean if Nagao wants to ride him to a loss then more power to ya. He didn’t get close to a turn, probably should’ve tried to cut him and then maybe catch him for back points after a take down..

My best case, most likely, worst case run through the brackets, with a notably punitive 1 champion view of the worst case illustrated just how strong or team is this year. We still win with a decent cushion. That feeling of calm let's us take a more detailed look at some individual performances.

Two of the most intriguing brackets are 149, 165 for our two less 'band wagon' jumping young guns.

To be honest, in the pre-season the young gun recruit who I had ranked highest (notably with a redshirt to prepare) was SVN. He was the kid who I thought we might be saying "Is SVN the favorite ..." to finish second to Yanni :)

I knew Levi was a stud, but as a true freshman, he has exceeded all expectations. He went from expected 3rd to 1st in my book, and killed it in so doing

Now back to Shane. His bracket looks pretty tough going. He'll hit #4 Caleb Henson in his second match and #5 Paniro Johnson in his 3rd if he keeps winning, followed by Yanni.

But did you know both #4 and #5 are also freshman? Given Shane's pretigree and resume I would have bet the house that he would be running circles around these dudes by now. Honestly WTF? The Big 10 has a lot to do with it. I really hope something clicks for him and he makes a run right through them to Yanni, where, well Yanni is Gumby damnit!

No matter, a loss to Yanni would toss him into the 5th place match and a solid AA I will be more than satisfied with that.

If however he loses to either freshman he'll likely hit Yahya Thomas or Austin Gomez on the back side eventually and may not make AA.

Call me cruel, but I don't think AA is too much to hope for with Shane, and if he misses that milestone .... while those two other freshmen in the weight do, .... I'll let you fill in the blanks.

As for Alex, 165 is the worst meat grinder I have seen in a while, but I definitely see his path to AA on the back side. I hope he lets it fly a little.

With the team race in the bag, I would really like to come away from this Nationals tourney knowing our future young nucleus is 'on track' rather than a bit of a head scratcher question mark. It's going to be a really exciting tourney and these two weight classes will have more than their fill of drama for us PSU fans.

Reactions: RandyL and 1AA
My best case, most likely, worst case run through the brackets, with a notably punitive 1 champion view of the worst case illustrated just how strong or team is this year. We still win with a decent cushion. That feeling of calm let's us take a more detailed look at some individual performances.

Two of the most intriguing brackets are 149, 165 for our two less 'band wagon' jumping young guns.

To be honest, in the pre-season the young gun recruit who I had ranked highest (notably with a redshirt to prepare) was SVN. He was the kid who I thought we might be saying "Is SVN the favorite ..." to finish second to Yanni :)

I knew Levi was a stud, but as a true freshman, he has exceeded all expectations. He went from expected 3rd to 1st in my book, and killed it in so doing

Now back to Shane. His bracket looks pretty tough going. He'll hit #4 Caleb Henson in his second match and #5 Paniro Johnson in his 3rd if he keeps winning, followed by Yanni.

But did you know both #4 and #5 are also freshman? Given Shane's pretigree and resume I would have bet the house that he would be running circles around these dudes by now. Honestly WTF? The Big 10 has a lot to do with it. I really hope something clicks for him and he makes a run right through them to Yanni, where, well Yanni is Gumby damnit!

No matter, a loss to Yanni would toss him into the 5th place match and a solid AA I will be more than satisfied with that.

If however he loses to either freshman he'll likely hit Yahya Thomas or Austin Gomez on the back side eventually and may not make AA.

Call me cruel, but I don't think AA is too much to hope for with Shane, and if he misses that milestone .... while those two other freshmen in the weight do, .... I'll let you fill in the blanks.

As for Alex, 165 is the worst meat grinder I have seen in a while, but I definitely see his path to AA on the back side. I hope he lets it fly a little.

With the team race in the bag, I would really like to come away from this Nationals tourney knowing our future young nucleus is 'on track' rather than a bit of a head scratcher question mark. It's going to be a really exciting tourney and these two weight classes will have more than their fill of drama for us PSU fans.
If SVN and Facundo don’t AA as freshman you consider them question marks?! Like you said, 165 is one of the deepest weights we’ve seen in awhile. SVN also lost pretty much a full year of development with an injury. I do think that SVN will AA and that Facundo has a chance and will definitely have a better showing than at Big10’s but even if they don’t I have no concern about them going forward. I think they will both be great and probably win a title before they are done

Reactions: tikk10 and ccdiver
Why does everyone think Facunda has a nice draw? Ramirez is pretty darn good. Or does he get some favorable matchups in the consi brackets?

Re: RBY vs Nagao… I saw their match at Big Tens as RBY saying I’m going to learn about you but give you as little as I can about me. I’ve thought that several times throughout RBY’s career. He opens up when the opponent isn’t a threat, but less so when he is. Somewhat like Dake.
Few wrestlers have openly used a match as “going to school” as RBY. Holds so much close to the vest in match when he wants info. Even vs ADS, he would hold up to see how ADS adjusted to the previous match.

I see some old questionable posters are starting to crawl out of the sewer once post season hits.

I can't wait for the football-board mouth breathers to storm into the forum the moment PSU suffers their first setback. [facepalm]....

I'm sure MizzouFan-J'den-Cox-suck-up, DeadFish-JOliver-suck-up and some of the others will be close behind....

WE WANT BUTTHORN! <clap, clap, clap clap clap>

As an Air Force Academy wrestling alum, I hope you are right. I think he’s a lot better than people give him credit for, but isn’t in the same tier as Kerk and Parris. I’d favor Cassioppi over him but wouldn’t be surprised if Wyatt caught him in a cradle in a scramble.

We haven’t had an AA at USAFA since 2003 when Kevin Hoy made the finals at heavyweight. Cole Von Ohlen was close multiple times. Him tearing his shoulder his senior year headed into NCAAs kept him off the podium in my opinion. 5 National Qualifiers this year is also the most since the 90s. Hoping for a decent showing.
I’m a squid, however I was raised on an AF Base. Dad a USAF retired Korean and Vietnam vet still rooting for AF and PSU… great match healthy finish.

I see quite a few mini brackets with multiple conference competitors. I also see a lot of potential 2nd round rubber or rematches. Seems intentional

I think SVN has a very good shot at beating Henson.

Henson’s best win, Sasso, came early on in the season (11/11) when Sasso was very clearly struggling with his weight. And, they started at 149, so Sasso looked pretty horrible. If they wrestled that match in late February that’s a comfortable Sasso win.

"Questionable Posters"? It is college wrestling discussion forum. You can make fun of candy ass stall masters like Max Murin can't you? He is graduating so I don't have alot of time left to get my pound of flesh!!!!!

If SVN and Facundo don’t AA as freshman you consider them question marks?! Like you said, 165 is one of the deepest weights we’ve seen in awhile. SVN also lost pretty much a full year of development with an injury. I do think that SVN will AA and that Facundo has a chance and will definitely have a better showing than at Big10’s but even if they don’t I have no concern about them going forward. I think they will both be great and probably win a title before they are done
Opinions are like you know what, and I have one. Yes, I'll say it, despite deep weight classes, if 2 redshirt PSU freshman Uber blue chip top P4P recruits don't AA after 2 years in the room, it causes me to pause a bit, especially in SVN's case if those other 2 less heralded freshman go on to AA on his side of the bracket.

Am I saying either of our guys are busts? Absolutely unequivocally NO, hell no! I think their futures remain very bright, but their development given their prospect would be behind expectations. I am 100% confident they didn't come to Penn state with the thought of missing AA after redshirt.

As far as I am concerned Cael has given them everything they need to succeed, and rankings are just a number on the page. Both have the talent to AA this year. If they try to 'manage' matches into the 3rd period or hope to pull it out in SV, that's not a recipe for success. Let it fly.

PS - arm chair quarterbacking on my phone's keyboard is easy

Reactions: AndEEss
Opinions are like you know what, and I have one. Yes, I'll say it, despite deep weight classes, if 2 redshirt PSU freshman Uber blue chip top P4P recruits don't AA after 2 years in the room, it causes me to pause a bit, especially in SVN's case if those other 2 less heralded freshman go on to AA on his side of the bracket.

Am I saying either of our guys are busts? Absolutely unequivocally NO, hell no! I think their futures remain very bright, but their development given their prospect would be behind expectations. I am 100% confident they didn't come to Penn state with the thought of missing AA after redshirt.

As far as I am concerned Cael has given them everything they need to succeed, and rankings are just a number on the page. Both have the talent to AA this year. If they try to 'manage' matches into the 3rd period or hope to pull it out in SV, that's not a recipe for success. Let it fly.

PS - arm chair quarterbacking on my phone's keyboard is easy
Van Ness missed a whole year because of the injury so although a redshirt freshman he hasn't had 2 full years in the room. Just saying.

Reactions: Franklinstheman
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT