ADVERTISEMENT

2021 Recruiting Class Thread

I read an article about that weekend and IMO someone should be looking into it. I read that Farooq and Leigh, two kids from the DMV, were present. I preface this by saying I don't have the slightest idea what their socio-economic status is, nor is it relevant. But how likely is it that these kids took a trip that per google is around 1350 miles and a 20 hour drive, one way, paid for hotels, gas and food? I would guess it is unlikely. Contrast that with Diego Pounds, a kid who seems to do things the right way. He and his mom planned a trip to PSU to check out the campus but had to cancel because mom had to work. I think the contrast between Pounds visit to PSU and the others visit to Norman is striking. If anyone believes OU had no role in the weekend visits, I respectfully disagree with you.

Reactions: TheGLOV
ESPN2 will be televising a high school football game for St. Xavier (Ohio ) vs. Brownsburg (IN) on Saturday, August 29th at 6:00 pm. This will be a chance to see committed recruit Liam Clifford in action. Has anyone seen Clifford in action already, and if so, what are your positive and negative thoughts on him?

I read an article about that weekend and IMO someone should be looking into it. I read that Farooq and Leigh, two kids from the DMV, were present. I preface this by saying I don't have the slightest idea what their socio-economic status is, nor is it relevant. But how likely is it that these kids took a trip that per google is around 1350 miles and a 20 hour drive, one way, paid for hotels, gas and food? I would guess it is unlikely. Contrast that with Diego Pounds, a kid who seems to do things the right way. He and his mom planned a trip to PSU to check out the campus but had to cancel because mom had to work. I think the contrast between Pounds visit to PSU

and the others visit to Norman is striking. If anyone believes OU had no role in the weekend visits, I respectfully disagree with you.
Leigh is from Fairfax VA so safe to say he isn’t dirt poor.
What do you mean ‘had a role’? It seems pretty easy to fit this trip into this definition

What is a dead period?
During a dead period a college coach may not have face-to-face contact with college-bound student-athletes or their parents, and may not watch student-athletes compete or visit their high schools. Coaches may write and telephone student-athletes or their parents during a dead period.

What is the difference between an official visit and an unofficial visit?
Any visit to a college campus by a college-bound student-athlete or his or her parents paid for by the college is an official visit. Visits paid for by college-bound student-athletes or their parents are unofficial visits.

During an official visit the college can pay for transportation to and from the college for the prospect, lodging and three meals per day for both the prospect and the parent or guardian, as well as reasonable entertainment expenses including three tickets to a home sports event.

The only expenses a college-bound student-athlete may receive from a college during an unofficial visit are three tickets to a home sports event.

And why take a TE just to take one with the current TE’s on the roster and the commits for 2022 and 2023. If the staff can't work out Dinkins to be sure he can contribute at a high level,....

Depending on what happens with the roster in the next year, 2022 Class scholarships may be at a premium, where CJF seems to have a great start. The seniors that return for 2021, if any, won’t count against 85 limit. But without potentially playing in 2020 there may be 2020 juniors that play in 2021 that might have otherwise declared for the 2021 draft. This whole mess only makes roster management that much more difficult.
Not sure what content can be posted here so I will just say Dinkins is a take today and always has been. With a small class, that would suggest the staff thinks highly of him. IMO PSU is in "best player available" mode right now. Let's not end up with an 18 player class and maybe several of them are big stretches. PSU will always play 2 TE's, so that means you better have 4-5 who are ready to play. In 2021 we would have Kuntz, Strange, Johnson and Warren. Dinkins would be number 5 and hopefully could redshirt. I understand we have two kids committed for 2022 but most likely both will redshirt. TE is definitely a position of strength so if we lose out on Dinkins, no big deal. But if he can play let's take him. It is not as if we are turning away kids who want to commit right now.

Leigh is from Fairfax VA so safe to say he isn’t dirt poor.
What do you mean ‘had a role’? It seems pretty easy to fit this trip into this definition

What is a dead period?
During a dead period a college coach may not have face-to-face contact with college-bound student-athletes or their parents, and may not watch student-athletes compete or visit their high schools. Coaches may write and telephone student-athletes or their parents during a dead period.

What is the difference between an official visit and an unofficial visit?
Any visit to a college campus by a college-bound student-athlete or his or her parents paid for by the college is an official visit. Visits paid for by college-bound student-athletes or their parents are unofficial visits.

During an official visit the college can pay for transportation to and from the college for the prospect, lodging and three meals per day for both the prospect and the parent or guardian, as well as reasonable entertainment expenses including three tickets to a home sports event.

The only expenses a college-bound student-athlete may receive from a college during an unofficial visit are three tickets to a home sports event.
I can understand one kid making a visit, that is not uncommon. But multiple, high end recruits all just by coincidence end up at the same school on the same weekend? I find that a but hard to believe. Here is why I say this. It is generally acknowledged that James Franklin is an excellent recruiter. Even if you argue he does not seal the deal enough, he gets kids on campus multiple times. Yet PSU has not been the recipient of any of these weekends where multiple targets show up on campus. Why not? Is Franklin not smart enough to think that would be a great idea? Same goes for OSU and Michigan and Notre Dame. Doesn't seem as though any of them have had kids show up on their campuses either. I simply do not think this is something that happens organically.

Reactions: Carl Spackler
If you're Rucci parents where do you push him to attend? It's pretty simple really, they have one son at Wisconsin and I'm sure they like visiting him on football weekends and it would sure be nice to visit two sons on football weekends.

I would bet hat they are letting him make up his own mind. It's his life/future.

I simply do not think this is something that happens organically
According to Wilfong in the video in this Tweet Caleb Williams put together the "Sooner Summit" all by himself.

According to Wilfong in the video in this Tweet Caleb Williams put together the "Sooner Summit" all by himself.

So he was the bagman for the weekend gathering.

Where has FITZ been this recruiting cycle? In past recruiting cycles, it was pretty much a done deal if FITZ crystal balled a guy to Penn State. FITZ seems to be quiet in the 2021 recruiting cycle.

I can understand one kid making a visit, that is not uncommon. But multiple, high end recruits all just by coincidence end up at the same school on the same weekend? I find that a but hard to believe. Here is why I say this. It is generally acknowledged that James Franklin is an excellent recruiter. Even if you argue he does not seal the deal enough, he gets kids on campus multiple times. Yet PSU has not been the recipient of any of these weekends where multiple targets show up on campus. Why not? Is Franklin not smart enough to think that would be a great idea? Same goes for OSU and Michigan and Notre Dame. Doesn't seem as though any of them have had kids show up on their campuses either. I simply do not think this is something that happens organically.
Why does it have to be a coincidence?

When multiple recruits and their families go out to lunch and dinner together and the restaurant does NOT bring them a bill to pay, it is questionable. When multiple recruits and their families are allowed to walk around the football stadium and facilities, it is questionable. When family members post pictures on social media that ultimately disappear, it is questionable. Again, Tristan Leigh told the LSU Coaching Staff about the extent of his UNOFFICIAL VISIT to Oklahoma, and the LSU Coaching Staff called out both Oklahoma and Georgia just days after those visits.

Reactions: bmw199 and TheGLOV
That's my point. I don't think they all ended up there by coincidence. There was also a big time lineman from TX who was present. So if we are to believe a bunch of kids from DC, MD and VA decide to make a 1200 mile trip and a kid from TX also happens to be there at the same time? And this was all put together by a 17-18 year old high school kid with no help from anyone at OU?

Reactions: bison13 and TheGLOV
That's my point. I don't think they all ended up there by coincidence. There was also a big time lineman from TX who was present. So if we are to believe a bunch of kids from DC, MD and VA decide to make a 1200 mile trip and a kid from TX also happens to be there at the same time? And this was all put together by a 17-18 year old high school kid with no help from anyone at OU?

Pretty smart kid!

:mad:

No we dont think it was a coincidence. If it was not a coincidence, what is the rule they violated?

When multiple recruits and their families go out to lunch and dinner together and the restaurant does NOT bring them a bill to pay, it is questionable. When multiple recruits and their families are allowed to walk around the football stadium and facilities, it is questionable. When family members post pictures on social media that ultimately disappear, it is questionable. Again, Tristan Leigh told the LSU Coaching Staff about the extent of his UNOFFICIAL VISIT to Oklahoma, and the LSU Coaching Staff called out both Oklahoma and Georgia just days after those visits.
Who said they didn't get a bill? (ps, hate to break it to you but football players get free stuff in State College too)

It doesn't matter what is questionable or not. Did it break a rule? It's a yes or no question. I'm all ears if someone shows a rule they broke, but I think they just pushed the envelope and everyone is mad

Who said they didn't get a bill? (ps, hate to break it to you but football players get free stuff in State College too)

It doesn't matter what is questionable or not. Did it break a rule? It's a yes or no question. I'm all ears if someone shows a rule they broke, but I think they just pushed the envelope and everyone is mad

Recruiting is in an extended Dead Period. That means that schools are not allowed to host visits, official or unofficial.

During this period, are prospects and their familiies allowed to come to a school on their own? Yes. Are they allowed to tour the stadium and facilities Yes, with the caveats that they are open to anyone and that the school isn't providing guides.

Someone picking up the check for meals is a no-no, regardless of who does it. Impermissible benefit.

Recruiting is in an extended Dead Period. That means that schools are not allowed to host visits, official or unofficial.

During this period, are prospects and their familiies allowed to come to a school on their own? Yes. Are they allowed to tour the stadium and facilities Yes, with the caveats that they are open to anyone and that the school isn't providing guides.

Someone picking up the check for meals is a no-no, regardless of who does it. Impermissible benefit.

That's true Art.

Joe did kick off the team, and also got THAT player a job, to help pay & support and underage girl who got pregnant by said football player. (Fred Waring Choral Workshop HS girl)

The player ended up working at Toftree's Resort.

It's true.

Thanks for sharing.

That's true Art.

Joe did kick off the team, and also got THAT player a job, to help pay & support and underage girl who got pregnant by said football player. (Fred Waring Choral Workshop HS girl)

The player ended up working at Toftree's Resort.

It's true.

Thanks for sharing.
English please Glov?

Rucci was just on campus. The TE from Ohio took an unofficial visit to PSU over the summer before committing to Wisconsin. How do they define ‘host an unofficial visit‘ vs kids visiting on their own?

Rucci was just on campus. The TE from Ohio took an unofficial visit to PSU over the summer before committing to Wisconsin. How do they define ‘host an unofficial visit‘ vs kids visiting on their own?

Unofficial visits typically include opportunities that aren't afforded to the average person showing up on campus. Tours of athletic facilities are arranged, access to the football stadium and training facilities, etc. Even if the coaches remain at arm's length, if those other opportunities are arranged, then that would seem to constitute an "unofficial visit".

I don't know what Leigh and others did or didn't have access to during their time on campus.

Unofficial visits typically include opportunities that aren't afforded to the average person showing up on campus. Tours of athletic facilities are arranged, access to the football stadium and training facilities, etc. Even if the coaches remain at arm's length, if those other opportunities are arranged, then that would seem to constitute an "unofficial visit".

I don't know what Leigh and others did or didn't have access to during their time on campus.

I think being on the field could be an issue, but OU could say they were open to everybody for the weekend. Sounds like a great job by Caleb Williams

I think being on the field could be an issue, but OU could say they were open to everybody for the weekend. Sounds like a great job by Caleb Williams
"From a deleted tweet of Leigh’s mom. The recruits who were in town on Friday afternoon."
🤔

There are two pictures in those tweets which look to be potential NCAA violations:
1) The tweet from Terence Carter looks to be in a Hotel banquet room with multiple chairs and tables set up, along with AV and Technology equipment. Typically, this type of facility and IT equipment at a Hotel will cost at least $500 - $1,000, so who fronted the bill to pay for this? As previous posters have said, the recruits cannot have access to the coaches and the visit cannot be sponsored or planned through the university, so who was giving the presentation to the recruits? In addition, I'm sure there is a breakfast or buffet lunch behind the recruits.
2) The since-deleted tweet from Tristan Leigh's Mom where it shows all of the recruits and their families in Oklahoma's football stadium on the field. How often does the public get access to a school's football stadium and the ability to go on the field? RARELY. By the way, I don't see any pedestrians in the football stadium.

There is a reason why LSU's Head Coach called out both Oklahoma and Georgia for their recent recruiting visits.

The reason why we are discussing this situation is most people would agree that Penn State's biggest recruiting sell is getting the recruits on campus and selling the university and the football program in person. Clearly, Penn State is abiding by the rules, but other schools may not be.

Last edited:
There are two pictures in those tweets which look to be potential NCAA violations:
1) The tweet from Terence Carter looks to be in a Hotel banquet room with multiple chairs and tables set up, along with AV and Technology equipment. Typically, this type of facility and IT equipment at a Hotel will cost at least $500 - $1,000, so who fronted the bill to pay for this? As previous posters have said, the recruits cannot have access to the coaches and the visit cannot be sponsored or planned through the university, so who was giving the presentation to the recruits? In addition, I'm sure there is a breakfast or buffet lunch behind the recruits.
2) The since-deleted tweet from Tristan Leigh's Mom where it shows all of the recruits and their families in Oklahoma's football stadium on the field. How often does the public get access to a school's football stadium and the ability to go on the field? RARELY. By the way, I don't see any pedestrians in the football stadium.

There is a reason why LSU's Head Coach called out both Oklahoma and Georgia for their recent recruiting visits.

The reason why we are discussing this situation is most people would agree that Penn State's biggest recruiting sell is getting the recruits on campus and selling the university and the football program in person. Clearly, Penn State is abiding by the rules, but other schools may not be.
When did he 'call them out'? He was asked about it and said the below:

On recruits taking self-guided visits: "We have not done that. Obviously, we want to follow the rules. I'm not going to comment on other stuff. Let's see how the NCAA handles it. I think it's pushing the line a little bit, but we'll see."

Coach O knows how the game is played and not to rock the boat over high school kids walking on the field or someone putting up a slideshow on a projector.

Are you a parent? If so, do your children look for you at every game they play? Do you look forward to watching them play? Parents have a lot of influence and most kids want to be influenced by their parents. It will be much easier on the parents if both boys are at the same school.

I understand that. however, I always let my kids make their decisions (with my consent, of course).From what I have read on this board, do we expect the TE to actually play that much? I do agree with you that as a parent I want to see my kids as much as possible once they move away.

This was just an orientation meeting for new and “potential” new students. Why are you getting so excited 😆?

Reactions: cjrugger
Not much to talk about recently regarding the 2021 class, but the recent 247 podcast talks about what they believe are the the 5-7 most possible candidates to complete the class at this point.

Also note that Fitz and Donohue said that they expect the 2021 class to number around 18, which seems to agree with what Terry Smith said in late April or early May regarding the 2021 class size being just slightly less than 10 less than the 2020 class which was 27.....

I'm in the camp that believes that other than the need to add 1 or 2 OL and a couple DL to the class, that the remaining spots will be best available talent that wants to get in this class, RB, TE, WR,.... But probably full at LB and QB.

Last edited:
Not much to talk about recently regarding the 2021 class, but the recent 247 podcast talks about what they believe are the the 5-7 most possible candidates to complete the class at this point.

Also note that Fitz and Donohue said that they expect the 2021 class to number around 18, which seems to agree with what Terry Smith said in late April or early May regarding the 2021 class size being just slightly less than 10 less than the 2020 class which was 27.....

Who are the 5-7 most likely? I don’t have time to listen to the podcast.

Who are the 5-7 most likely? I don’t have time to listen to the podcast.

It was a response to a question that noted that Rucci and Davis are the top two targets, and who are the next 5. They noted DE and OT as priorities, and mentioned Payton, a FL DE that is now committed to Nebraska, Pounds (OT), Dinkins (TE), the DE from MN Townley, and Rooks (DT from NJ).

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT