ADVERTISEMENT

2021 Recruiting Class Thread

When Rucci announces for Wisconsin the walls are really going to start crumbling.

For some, perhaps. I've already built that assumption into my thoughts about this class going forward. (obviously the staff will continue to put in work, as they should, but this will be a tough hill to climb)

Seems like Pounds, Derrick Davis, and Yulkeith Brown are the best options remaining, no?

Reactions: TheGLOV
For some, perhaps. I've already built that assumption into my thoughts about this class going forward. (obviously the staff will continue to put in work, as they should, but this will be a tough hill to climb)

Seems like Pounds, Derrick Davis, and Yulkeith Brown are the best options remaining, no?
I would Darnell Dinkins to your list. Other than that, your list looks pretty accurate.

I would Darnell Dinkins to your list. Other than that, your list looks pretty accurate.

Does Darnell have any eligibility left? :)

Khalil Dinkins is an interesting prospect, though questionable whether we need a TE in this class given Johnson/Warren in 2020 and Cross/Staes in 2022 already.

Interesting that 247 rates him as the #16 TE in the class, whereas the composite has him #44 TE in the class.

Decent offer list.

Probably one of those kids the staff wouldn't really press under normal circumstances, but given how this class has materialized, may go ahead and push.

Reactions: Ceasar and TheGLOV
I tend to think it’s the fact that the 2016 season is further in the rear view mirror and PSU has lost most of their marquee games since then. Recruits are getting swayed by the facilities and media attention at the playoff teams. I think most of them like Franklin but he needs to beat OSU. Look at what some sustained positional success did for our tight end recruiting.

What is amiss is not having visits. Our whole recruiting pitch depends on it. Not every other schools does. Not having those visits is a killer. Combined with new coaches and lost relationships and not having the chance to build new ones and we are taking it on the chin. Not an excuse it is the reality as to why this class hasn't panned out.

Rucci and Davis make the class salvageable. Some of the other guys in this class are pretty good. 2022 will need to be better, but overall the program definitely takes a step back in timeline. Best case we can still win a big ten title soon, but I expect it would be closer to 2016 than what 2020 might have been.

Huh? look at his public FC.
I know. What I'm saying is that Stratton has posted several times over the last few months claiming that he personally knows someone who knows a member of the Rucci family, and he told Stratton that Rucci is going to commit to Wisconsin.

I'm not saying I believe him, but Stratton's been consistent on this for a few months now.

I know. What I'm saying is that Stratton has posted several times over the last few months claiming that he personally knows someone who knows a member of the Rucci family, and he told Stratton that Rucci is going to commit to Wisconsin.

I mean it's not like stratton has been wrong in the past :)

Isn't Wiltfong the only Recruiting Analyst who has made mention that he sees Rucci going to Wisconsin? Wiltfong's write-up was not based on concrete facts, it was about his brother going to Wisconsin and those relationships along with Wisconsin developing offensive linemen. Remember, Wiltfong also predicted Kelvin Gilliam to Penn State based on a similar fact pattern, and he was not correct in predicting Gilliam to Penn State.

Audrey Snyder recently did an in-person interview with Rucci about 10 days ago during a football practice, and she mentioned that Penn State should be happy with where they stand with Rucci. 2nd place is the first loser, and Penn State would not be happy with losing out on Rucci.

Reactions: TheGLOV and bmw199
Exact opposite. If they could bring him into a camp to see how he has progressed they would be more likely to press.

Under ordinary circumstances, sure. But that's not going to happen.

All I'm saying is that the staff may have more incentive to press given how they unexpectedly lost out on a few kids they probably had penciled into this class, and our options are thinning. So, a flyer like Dinkins or the big DE out of Philly might be a more valid candidate.

Unless they wait to hold some scholarships in the event of decommitments.

What is amiss is not having visits. Our whole recruiting pitch depends on it. Not every other schools does. Not having those visits is a killer. Combined with new coaches and lost relationships and not having the chance to build new ones and we are taking it on the chin. Not an excuse it is the reality as to why this class hasn't panned out.

Rucci and Davis make the class salvageable. Some of the other guys in this class are pretty good. 2022 will need to be better, but overall the program definitely takes a step back in timeline. Best case we can still win a big ten title soon, but I expect it would be closer to 2016 than what 2020 might have been.
I agree with you that the class can be salvaged and, on balance, can still be pretty solid. Rucci and Davis, and I would add Pounds and Dinkins, would give us a pretty solid 17 person group.
But to your point about no visits being the key factor to some misses, not sure about that. We have missed out on a number of kids who have visited and would have been key to this class - off the top of my head I am thinking of Thornton, Farooq, Prather, the RB from NC whose sister is a PSU student, Gilliam and Warren.

Reactions: TheGLOV and ST8FAN
Under ordinary circumstances, sure. But that's not going to happen.

All I'm saying is that the staff may have more incentive to press given how they unexpectedly lost out on a few kids they probably had penciled into this class, and our options are thinning. So, a flyer like Dinkins or the big DE out of Philly might be a more valid candidate.

Unless they wait to hold some scholarships in the event of decommitments.
Jackson is a DT. We have two 4* TEs committed in 2022.

I agree with you that the class can be salvaged and, on balance, can still be pretty solid. Rucci and Davis, and I would add Pounds and Dinkins, would give us a pretty solid 17 person group.
But to your point about no visits being the key factor to some misses, not sure about that. We have missed out on a number of kids who have visited and would have been key to this class - off the top of my head I am thinking of Thornton, Farooq, Prather, the RB from NC whose sister is a PSU student, Gilliam and Warren.

It's my understanding that Penn State cooled on Thornton big time because Stubbs and Franklin came to realize that Thornton was developing an attitude problem and they knew he was going to drag his recruitment out. He also decommitted from the program. Farooq has not considered Penn State for a long time. Evan Pryor's recruitment blew up and he didn't like the running back depth we have at Penn State. Gilliam, Warren, and Prather were recruiting losses for us.

It's my understanding that Penn State cooled on Thornton big time because Stubbs and Franklin came to realize that Thornton was developing an attitude problem and they knew he was going to drag his recruitment out. He also decommitted from the program. Farooq has not considered Penn State for a long time. Evan Pryor's recruitment blew up and he didn't like the running back depth we have at Penn State. Gilliam, Warren, and Prather were recruiting losses for us.
VigilantLegalHind-small.gif

Losing Rucci - a 5-star, in-state legacy - is going to be a very bad look for Penn State's program, no way to spin it otherwise.

I'm not saying I believe him, but Stratton's been consistent on this for a few months now.
Look, I am not one for boisterous claims in this area... however in this case all I am saying is that as of right now the young man is a very strong lean to Bucky. I hope things change and I am eventually proven wrong.

Reactions: TheGLOV and bison13
Jackson is a DT. We have two 4* TEs committed in 2022.

And why take a TE just to take one with the current TE’s on the roster and the commits for 2022 and 2023. If the staff can't work out Dinkins to be sure he can contribute at a high level,....

Depending on what happens with the roster in the next year, 2022 Class scholarships may be at a premium, where CJF seems to have a great start. The seniors that return for 2021, if any, won’t count against 85 limit. But without potentially playing in 2020 there may be 2020 juniors that play in 2021 that might have otherwise declared for the 2021 draft. This whole mess only makes roster management that much more difficult.

Back on August 1st when official scholarship offers went out there were 3 prospects committed to other schools that posted their PSU official scholarship (which actually aren't official but that's another story). Wouldn't get hopes up but names to have on the radar.
DE committed to Nebraska

CB committed to FSU

RB committed to USC

What would you say to others that have a connection to the family saying the exact opposite? Any chance your source is misconstruing the message?
My data is dated about two months so sure things may have changed. However back when I spoke to my friend he said that Nolan was leaning heavy to Wisconsin but that he (my friend) thought Todd was hoping he'd change his mind (in other words Todd was pulling for PSU but was letting his son drive the process).

My data is dated about two months so sure things may have changed. However back when I spoke to my friend he said that Nolan was leaning heavy to Wisconsin but that he (my friend) thought Todd was hoping he'd change his mind (in other words Todd was pulling for PSU but was letting his son drive the process).
Thank you for following up. That means this was before his brother went back to school and before the lion shrine tweet.

This indirectly impacts Penn State's recruiting efforts, but did you guys see that Ed Orgeron of LSU accused Georgia and Oklahoma of violating the no-recruiting visits and contact mandate from the NCAA? Supposedly Georgia and Oklahoma privately scheduled recruiting visits for a number of recruits to their campuses this past weekend. It sounds like Tristan Leigh, who was on Oklahoma's campus, told the LSU Coaching Staff (who is in the lead for his commitment) about the extent of his recruiting visit to Oklahoma. Just win baby!

This indirectly impacts Penn State's recruiting efforts, but did you guys see that Ed Orgeron of LSU accused Georgia and Oklahoma of violating the no-recruiting visits and contact mandate from the NCAA? Supposedly Georgia and Oklahoma privately scheduled recruiting visits for a number of recruits to their campuses this past weekend. It sounds like Tristan Leigh, who was on Oklahoma's campus, told the LSU Coaching Staff (who is in the lead for his commitment) about the extent of his recruiting visit to Oklahoma. Just win baby!

It's so, so unlike institutions of higher learning like Georgia and Oklahoma to cut corners in pursuit of football glory.

So, so unlike them!

The UGA bagmen are among the most potent in the land. And Oklahoma.......well, they have a long history of playing these games. There's a reason why Joe mentioned that he didn't want to leave college football to the Barry Switzers of the world.

(say what you want about Mark Richt, but at least he seemed to be a decent man who did things the right way. Kirby Smart is a much better fit for the UGA faithful)

His mom posted a tweet from the stadium and it was mysteriously deleted an hour later.

Saw a Georgia website where they were taking shots at Orgeron for being jealous of UGA's "big recruiting weekend".

These people don't even pretend to care about rules. Just win, baby!

"Success with honor"? Pfffftt.....

Last edited:
Saw a Georgia website where they were taking shots at Orgeron for being jealous of UGA's "big recruiting weekend".

These people don't even pretend to care about rules. Just win, baby!

"Success with honor" still means something.

UGA fans are a hoot. The coach that just won the NC is jealous of them having a big recruiting weekend. Lol.

I read an article about that weekend and IMO someone should be looking into it. I read that Farooq and Leigh, two kids from the DMV, were present. I preface this by saying I don't have the slightest idea what their socio-economic status is, nor is it relevant. But how likely is it that these kids took a trip that per google is around 1350 miles and a 20 hour drive, one way, paid for hotels, gas and food? I would guess it is unlikely. Contrast that with Diego Pounds, a kid who seems to do things the right way. He and his mom planned a trip to PSU to check out the campus but had to cancel because mom had to work. I think the contrast between Pounds visit to PSU and the others visit to Norman is striking. If anyone believes OU had no role in the weekend visits, I respectfully disagree with you.

I read an article about that weekend and IMO someone should be looking into it. I read that Farooq and Leigh, two kids from the DMV, were present. I preface this by saying I don't have the slightest idea what their socio-economic status is, nor is it relevant. But how likely is it that these kids took a trip that per google is around 1350 miles and a 20 hour drive, one way, paid for hotels, gas and food? I would guess it is unlikely. Contrast that with Diego Pounds, a kid who seems to do things the right way. He and his mom planned a trip to PSU to check out the campus but had to cancel because mom had to work. I think the contrast between Pounds visit to PSU and the others visit to Norman is striking. If anyone believes OU had no role in the weekend visits, I respectfully disagree with you.

Nail those BASS-tards!

We have high-profile coaches on FBI wiretaps admitting to paying basketball recruits. And they're still employed.

Nothing will happen in this case.

Remember the UGA commit a few years ago that tweeted something about how he either de-committed or was considering de-committing, but then the bagman showed up and now he's all set for UGA? The photos of Alabama players hoisting fat stacks of cash?

Has Auburn been punished yet for the obvious $182,000 payment for Cam Newton?

When football is life, boosters, coaches, and supporters will stop at nothing to ensure they have an advantage.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT