ADVERTISEMENT

2021 Recruiting Class Thread

Unfortunately De’Jahn Warren just committed to Georgia. Bad swing and miss for the staff.

I guess the good news is that we have several good secondary prospects in this class, and hopefully we add Derrick Davis.

But oof. Losing a Lackawanna kid who seems to have been a PSU lean for a long time. Right after losing Gilliam with all of our built-in advantages.

Staff is off to a good start for 2022, but they've had a rough time adjusting to virtual recruiting for the 2021 class.

So, we'll presumably want to take 4-5 more, I'd think.

Diego Pounds
Derrick Davis Jr.
Yulkeith Brown

Who else?

I'm assuming Rucci isn't happening.

I would not be so sure about the B1G playing in calendar year 2021.

Why would they?

Unless the situation surrounding the virus changes the Presidents will have no reason to change policy. This will be especially so if the SEC, ACC, or Big 12 have to shut things down.

Reactions: GregInPitt
So, we'll presumably want to take 4-5 more, I'd think.

Diego Pounds
Derrick Davis Jr.
Yulkeith Brown

Who else?

I'm assuming Rucci isn't happening.

I am holding out hope that there will be some decommitments from other schools that ultimately choose to commit to Penn State. I am also still holding out hope on Rucci because a 5 star legacy recruit does not commit to wisconsin over Penn State.

Reactions: bmw199
I am holding out hope that there will be some decommitments from other schools that ultimately choose to commit to Penn State. I am also still holding out hope on Rucci because a 5 star legacy recruit does not commit to wisconsin over Penn State.
We need the help.

If ever we'd be in a good position for a flip, you'd think the 2021 class would be it.......assuming we can resume on-campus official visits.

McMillon, Gilliam, Warren, Jeudy, Thornton, Prather, etc.......a lot of local talent bolting for greener pastures farther away. The new coaches at key positions really need the face time with recruits, and haven't had it.

I certainly wouldn't count on getting any big time flips, but we'll see.

You know, he just recently re-tweeted a tweet urging James Franklin to offer him.

Been offered by most of the northeastern and mid-Atlantic schools, and with most of our other DE targets off the table, he might worth a look. Don't know if there's a backstory, however.

ASU, Pitt, Indiana, Cincinnati, and Rutgers appear to be his top 5. Seems like a list we could crack pretty easily if we offer.

You know, he just recently re-tweeted a tweet urging James Franklin to offer him.

Been offered by most of the northeastern and mid-Atlantic schools, and with most of our other DE targets off the table, he might worth a look. Don't know if there's a backstory, however.

ASU, Pitt, Indiana, Cincinnati, and Rutgers appear to be his top 5. Seems like a list we could crack pretty easily if we offer.
If he's got that kind of explosiveness at 6'6", 260, then you'd think he's a DT at the next level, at least given what Penn State tends to look for.

My not-at-all-expert opinion is that he's probably a kid who would have been a prime candidate to be one of the summer camp offers that we've seen over the past few years when the staff would have had the opportunity to put him through the athleticism tests and get his measurables. Kind of like Fatorma Mulbah.

Reactions: bmw199
If he's got that kind of explosiveness at 6'6", 260, then you'd think he's a DT at the next level, at least given what Penn State tends to look for.

My not-at-all-expert opinion is that he's probably a kid who would have been a prime candidate to be one of the summer camp offers that we've seen over the past few years when the staff would have had the opportunity to put him through the athleticism tests and get his measurables. Kind of like Fatorma Mulbah.
He is a DT next level.

Sure looks like you're making excuses for a less-than-stellar 2021 recruiting performance.
Not really. It is reality. But we were not recruiting well before the Warrening of our season. Certainly a couple causes for concern.

Also, I'm not sure if not playing this fall affects recruiting all that much - I guess not being able to see certain on field product could have an impact. But if you're being recruiting right now, you'll be playing football for the school you choose.

But do you think MD and Rutgers are complaining? The best thing that could ever happen to their recruiting is not getting drubbed by PSU, OSU, and Michigan.

The recruiting in this class is beyond bizarre.

And then our '22 is off to a potential top 10 - strange times everyone.

2021 is definitely a drop off from the 2018-2020 classes.

Then again, the 4 classes that primarily fed into the 2016 and 2017 seasons were ranked #33, #24, #14, and #20 in the aggregate rankings. So, having a class ranked in the 20-30 range isn't the end of the world.

Not what I would have expected coming off of the 2018 and 2019 classes and another 11-win season, but oh well. Get a few big difference makers, and we'll be okay.

5N9U1B
2021 is definitely a drop off from the 2018-2020 clas

Maybe, BUT..
class recruit ranking doesnt always match performance ...3 years ago: Parsons, Shorter, Slade ..that class certainly didn't perform to match their ranking. The class w/Ford now has 4 players dealing w/criminal charges

No reason to get upset about the guys who DON'T want to be here

5N9U1B

Maybe, BUT..
class recruit ranking doesnt always match performance ...3 years ago: Parsons, Shorter, Slade ..that class certainly didn't perform to match their ranking. The class w/Ford now has 4 players dealing w/criminal charges

No reason to get upset about the guys who DON'T want to be here

Don't forget about Asiedu. That '18 class -- as loaded as it was on paper -- never met the billing for a variety of reasons.

At least not YET. Really hope we get to see more from Freiermuth, Oweh, Mustipher, and Walker. I have to assume that we've seen the last of Pat, at a minimum.

I really thought the 2019 class was more stacked top-to-bottom than the 2018 class. I guess we'll see.

Also, I'm not sure if not playing this fall affects recruiting all that much - I guess not being able to see certain on field product could have an impact. But if you're being recruiting right now, you'll be playing football for the school you choose.

But do you think MD and Rutgers are complaining? The best thing that could ever happen to their recruiting is not getting drubbed by PSU, OSU, and Michigan.
The biggest problem isn’t directly recruiting, it’s to the program momentum and not being able to put out the team most likely to break through the CFP ceiling in 7 Coach Franklin years. We’re not going to see a ton of games played by a bunch of blue chippers who we have recruited over the last 3 years. As a program it’s deflating, and of course the biggest obstacle(OSU) isn’t feeling the effects as badly since they’re an established playoff elite team.

The toll this is taking on the staff is not good.

I’ll add this here

Last edited:
The biggest problem isn’t directly recruiting, it’s to the program momentum and not being able to put out the team most likely to break through the CFP ceiling in 7 Coach Franklin years. We’re not going to see a ton of games played by a bunch of blue chippers who we have recruited over the last 3 years. As a program it’s deflating, and of course the biggest obstacle(OSU) isn’t feeling the effects as badly since they’re an established playoff elite team.

I’ll add this here

We're already seeing more kids go to the pros after only 2 years on the field (Hamler, for instance).

COVID is going to result in even more of that. Can't fault the Walkers and Owehs of the world for going pro based on their athletic ability and ceiling. But man......it really sucks for us to potentially lose out on all these talents after only 1 or 2 full seasons from them.

All the more important to reload via the recruiting trail. The Ohio States and Alabamas can weather these losses in a way that we can't. They have 5* kids lined up to fill in. We're going to need to up our recruiting and/or develop the hell out of the talent we do have to keep pace.

Fortunately, this staff has shown what they can do with good-but-not-great recruiting classes.

I’ll add this here
Does this mean he has decided to go pro? Is he even ready? He has talent, but he needs another year to show he can dominate. I don't see him projecting in 1st 3 rounds. Has anyone seen any draft projections for him?

Does this mean he has decided to go pro? Is he even ready? He has talent, but he needs another year to show he can dominate. I don't see him projecting in 1st 3 rounds. Has anyone seen any draft projections for him?
The one in the tweet was him going 32 to the Chiefs

If you're Rucci parents where do you push him to attend? It's pretty simple really, they have one son at Wisconsin and I'm sure they like visiting him on football weekends and it would sure be nice to visit two sons on football weekends.

If you're Rucci parents where do you push him to attend? It's pretty simple really, they have one son at Wisconsin and I'm sure they like visiting him on football weekends and it would sure be nice to visit two sons on football weekends.

SMH. Or they could let their sons make up their own minds.

I’ll add this here
Very true...what was a possible playoff team is no longer - thanks to Warren. With recruiting already down fairly significantly, this will not help. Next years team will likely be relative worse...and that will further negatively impact recruiting...well, not the end of the world but not good. Franklin and staff will need to coach up. And that is assuming King Warren allows us to play next year.

2021 is definitely a drop off from the 2018-2020 classes.

Then again, the 4 classes that primarily fed into the 2016 and 2017 seasons were ranked #33, #24, #14, and #20 in the aggregate rankings. So, having a class ranked in the 20-30 range isn't the end of the world.

Not what I would have expected coming off of the 2018 and 2019 classes and another 11-win season, but oh well. Get a few big difference makers, and we'll be okay.
We only have maybe 6 teams with average star rankings ahead of us in the 2021 class, We knew this was going to be a small class. We're a top 10 team. Remember there are 129 FBS teams. Ranked #7 in yesterday's AP preseason poll. Franklin's not going anywhere. This team was loaded for bear until the virus came along. It's just a shame we couldn't hit the field this year. Keep the faith. 2022 class could be very good.

We only have maybe 6 teams with average star rankings ahead of us in the 2021 class, We knew this was going to be a small class. We're a top 10 team. Remember there are 129 FBS teams. Ranked #7 in yesterday's AP preseason poll. Franklin's not going anywhere. This team was loaded for bear until the virus came along. It's just a shame we couldn't hit the field this year. Keep the faith. 2022 class could be very good.

Our average rating is 88.60. I'm counting at least 17 schools with average ratings higher than ours.

Now, nearly 50% of our commits are 4* or above (6 out of 13). Look at the classes rated right above us:

Missouri: 1 out of 18
Arkansas: 1 out of 18
Washington: 4 out of 14
Baylor: 1 out of 19
Louisville: 3 out of 22
Minnesota: 4 out of 16
ASU: 3 out of 19
Florida State: 4 out of 15
Cal: 5 out of 18
Iowa: 3 out of 17
Maryland: 3 out of 20

So in reality, in terms of our "blue chip ratio", we're probably in the top-15 range.

Our problem is that except for Tengwall, most of our 4* kids are not rated terribly high. He's our only kid in the composite top-250. Last year, we had 7 kids in the top-250.

Thus, the modest 88.60 average rating.

Reactions: grinagrin
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT