ADVERTISEMENT

2021 Recruiting Class Thread

5’11 223-lb RB with offers from Clemson, Texas A&M, etc.

How well does this kid run? Because that’s good size.

I can't find testing numbers. I watched his hudl film - I don't think he'll ever be a game-breaker but he rarely goes down after first contact and he has a mean stiff arm. His footwork looks solid too. Reminds me a bit of Carlos Hyde from OSU a couple years back.

I can't find testing numbers. I watched his hudl film - I don't think he'll ever be a game-breaker but he rarely goes down after first contact and he has a mean stiff arm. His footwork looks solid too. Reminds me a bit of Carlos Hyde from OSU a couple years back.

I thought the same, but then thought about what Dwight Galt can do for a kid. Newton’s film reminded me a bit of Noah Cain’s from IMG. I liked his ability to catch the ball out of the backfield.

https://247sports.com/Video/Malik-Newton-Norfolk-Va-Lake-Taylor-2019-season-highlights-9675623/

A lot of matadors in shoulder pads when he is running at them. He reminds me a bit of one of my favorite PSU players of all time: Aaron Harris. A little less speed, not quite as shifty, but, like Aaron, runs with incredible power. He won't hit all those homers in college, but he will get his share of singles. Would love him in short yardage situations, backfield blocking, and as an up back if we ever use two RBs. Notice I didn't say fullback!

Franklin and Bowen seem to want to be sure and get at least 1 top TE for this class. With all these TE offers could that be an indication that they want to be sure to get 2 TE's??

The current TE roster, not including Tyler Warren who will arrive this summer, but including the 3 walk-on's.

84 Theo Johnson TE Fr. Fr. 6-6 249 Windsor, Ont. / Holy Names Catholic

17 Grayson Kline TE/H Jr. So. 6-5 256 Sinking Spring, Pa. / Warwick
43 Trevor Baker TE/H Sr. Jr. 6-3 241 Easton, Pa. / Lewis S. Mills (Conn.)
47 Tommy Friberg TE/H So. Fr. 6-3 202 State College, Pa. / State College Area
82 Zack Kuntz TE/H Jr. So. 6-7 254 Camp Hill, Pa. / Camp Hill
86 Brenton Strange TE/H So. Fr. 6-3 242 Parkersburg, W.Va. / Parkersburg
87 Pat Freiermuth TE/H Jr. Jr. 6-5 259 Merrimac, Mass. / Brooks School

So for 2021, assuming Freiermuth moves on to the NFL, there will be at most B.Strange, Z.Kuntz, T.Johnson and T.Warren. Kuntz would be in his 4th season in 2021, but has yet to make an impact on the field likely due to the tough competition during his tenure at PSU. Reportedly he has continued to add muscle, but if he does not win some playing time in 2020 there is the possibility that he could move on from the program after 2020. Kuntz is a PA kid and legacy player and PSU fans should be rooting for him to get on the field, but if he does not there won't be much upperclassmen leadership at TE for 2021, although Strange would be in his 3rd year in the program in 2021....

Last edited:
Reactions: NedFromYork
Ranking the Contenders: Rocco Spindler

3. PENN STATE

After Michigan and Notre Dame there is a big drop-off to the next tier of potential destinations. Penn State is a program that has generated some recent momentum here, though, and deserves mention. Spindler’s last unofficial visit went to Penn State the weekend just before the February dead period opened. That was actually his first visit to State College, and head coach James Franklin has kept communication frequent with Spindler to try and extend the momentum from that visit. His father, Marc Spindler, played for Pittsburgh, though, and I have a hard time seeing Rocco picking the Nittany Lions over the other contenders listed above (ND and Michigan).

https://n.rivals.com/news/ranking-the-contenders-rocco-spindler

Reactions: NedFromYork
I think this class is going to be too small to take 2 TEs

Haven't seen much speculation in this thread about the breakdown by position, but it seems that DB and OL look to be positions of emphasis which likely means 4+ OL and 5+ DB's. Beyond that, who knows, but all the TE offers must mean something. DL usually requires a good footprint in most classes but with the 2020 class being loaded at DL it could be low in numbers for 2021.

How about a 20-21 player class:
QB -1
RB - 1
WR - 2 or 3
TE - 2
OL - 4
DB - 5
LB - 1 or 2
DL - 3 or 4

Haven't seen much speculation in this thread about the breakdown by position, but it seems that DB and OL look to be positions of emphasis which likely means 4+ OL and 5+ DB's. Beyond that, who knows, but all the TE offers must mean something. DL usually requires a good footprint in most classes but with the 2020 class being loaded at DL it could be low in numbers for 2021.

How about a 20-21 player class:
QB -1
RB - 1
WR - 2 or 3
TE - 2
OL - 4
DB - 5
LB - 1 or 2
DL - 3 or 4
I don’t want to derail the thread but we could have as little as 11 players exhausting eligibility. Going to have to be a lot of attrition to get to a 20 player class

Reactions: TheGLOV
Franklin and Bowen seem to want to be sure and get at least 1 top TE for this class. With all these TE offers could that be an indication that they want to be sure to get 2 TE's??

No

It's a reflection on their evaluation of the TEs in their "traditional" recruiting area.

Keep in mind, they did have a verbal from a TE -- Nick Elksnis -- but he switched to Florida. Before today's flurry of offers, their offers to TEs were in CA, and NV. (They had one to a prospect in MA, but he verballed to Mich.)

With the shutdown of recruiting, in terms of visits, it's tough for PSU to establish relationships with guys so far away. So it makes sense for them to expand their pool, so to speak.

Ranking the Contenders: Rocco Spindler

3. PENN STATE

After Michigan and Notre Dame there is a big drop-off to the next tier of potential destinations.
giphy.gif

There is a reason we offered Drew Kendall. Watch his highlight video to get a sense of his athleticism. I think he could play DE as well as G. He has really good feet and is explosively quick.

We didn’t make Elijah Juedys top 5.

wtf.... as he is in a PSU uniform in his top 5 tweet

We didn’t make Elijah Juedys top 5.

wtf.... as he is in a PSU uniform in his top 5 tweet

Boy......this might not be a very good recruiting year for us on the defensive line. This is where coronavirus really impacts our recruiting......Scott has virtually no time to develop relationships this cycle.

Interesting to see schools like Tennessee showing up on all these lists. It's like some kids are so desperate to play in the SEC, they'd opt for a perennial 7-5 or 6-6 Tennessee over a 10-win Penn State.

When asked whether he was wearing a PSU jersey in his top-5 tweet, Jeudy's mom replied with "Yes it is. We have lots of love for Penn State and always will".

Not enough love to make his top 5, apparently.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT