ADVERTISEMENT

2021 Recruiting Class Thread

The fact that we did not make the top 5 for Penn is a head scratcher. He has been to Penn State the most out of any school except for Maryland, which is 10 minutes away from his home.

And there's Tennessee and Texas A&M again.......and South Carolina!

Some kids have this "SEC or bust" mentality, I guess. It must be fun to play at a school like Tennessee or South Carolina and get to experience all those big game atmospheres and the like. Too bad they won't win any of them.

The fact that we did not make the top 5 for Penn is a head scratcher. He has been to Penn State the most out of any school except for Maryland, which is 10 minutes away from his home.

Possibly because the ILB King has already told the staff that he is committing to PSU and CJF only wants one ILB in this class??

Should anyone be too worried about DL numbers in this class after CJF took 7 DL in the 2020 class?

Reactions: 81b&w
Possibly because the ILB King has already told the staff that he is committing to PSU and CJF only wants one ILB in this class??

Should anyone be too worried about DL numbers in this class after CJF took 7 DL in the 2020 class?

I think there should be some worry here. Of the all DL taken last cycle, the staff only views one of those guys as a true DE - Mostella, whom is a project at this point. The timing of the Spencer departure is killing us right now combined with the extended dead period for our new DL coach.

We probably needed to take 3 DEs this cycle - Jeudy being the most likely/talented (we thought), was right in our backyard. We're going to have to bat 1.000 and get some luck if we're going to look at the DE haul as a success.

4* DE Armitage (NJ) - likely leading, but ND/Stanford making ground.
4* DE/DT Gilliam (VA) - likely leading, but could grow into a DT.
4* DE Goodwine (MD) - thought to be SEC bound.
4* DE Donald (PA) - thought to be PITT lean.
4* DE Story (OH) - waiting on an OSU offer.
3* DE Wilson (VA) - could be an option, Scott has relationship.
3* DE Stevenson (VA) - a project, probably plan C at this point.

There are probably some other regional kids that will pop up at some point over the next couple months, hopefully this dead period doesn't have to last too much longer.

The more troubling trend for me is the complete lack of respect we're getting from in-state kids?

I think there should be some worry here. Of the all DL taken last cycle, the staff only views one of those guys as a true DE - Mostella, whom is a project at this point. The timing of the Spencer departure is killing us right now combined with the extended dead period for our new DL coach.

We probably needed to take 3 DEs this cycle - Jeudy being the most likely/talented (we thought), was right in our backyard. We're going to have to bat 1.000 and get some luck if we're going to look at the DE haul as a success.

There are probably some other regional kids that will pop up at some point over the next couple months, hopefully this dead period doesn't have to last too much longer.

The more troubling trend for me is the complete lack of respect we're getting from in-state kids?

As no one here knows what CJF thought of Jeudy, I don't believe saying Jewdy is the most likely or talented is necessarily accurate. He may be way down CJF's DE board.

For all we know CJF may be planning of playing Vanover and Taylor from the 2020 class at DE to start their PSU careers as well, as we have a pretty large number of DT's on the roster already. We won't know until they are listed on the PSU roster. Fisher is another wild card. I'm hoping Fisher stays at LB and recent reports of him losing weight together with his seek and destroy H.S. highlights lead me to believe he is a LB, but who knows if he ends up at DE in a year or two.

We may see CJF take 3 DE's in this class, but for all we know CJF may only want 3 total DL for this class. The roster does have some young DE talent on the roster now in Issac, Oweh, Mostella, Vilbert, and Tarburton, plus any of the true freshmen that report this summer and begin at DE.

CJF has offers out to and interest from a good many more DE's than what you listed, many of whom don't have any "crystal ball" picks. So we really don't know the extent of their interest or the extent of the staff's interest in them. Once campus visits are again allowed we will see who the real targets are and may get some indication of how many DE's the staff really wants in this class. But we won't really know until December or February....

Last edited:
Reactions: 81b&w and Bertway0
And there's Tennessee and Texas A&M again.......and South Carolina!

Some kids have this "SEC or bust" mentality, I guess. It must be fun to play at a school like Tennessee or South Carolina and get to experience all those big game atmospheres and the like. Too bad they won't win any of them.
Better home atmosphere than Penn State...doubt it! Likely other “reason$”

We didn’t make Elijah Juedys top 5.

wtf.

not really a surprise. He's given multiple indications that his preference was to play in the South. 4 of his 5 finalists are southern schools. Oregon was the only exception.

Some of you are over thinking this. Prospects are 16-, 17-, and 18-year-old kids. They get things in their minds that are important to them, and that's that. It may not be what is important to you, or even what you agree with, but it's their lives.

Worry? It's April, and all of college recruiting is in an unexpected, and prolonged, dead period.

PSU has been hurt a bit by the dead period, in that they are big on personal relationships, but they've been unable to host prospects, and enable them to get to know John Scott, their new DL coach.

PSU does want DEs in this year's recruiting class, and there is a shortage of ones they like in their traditional recruiting area. That said, your list doesn't show all of the ones they are recruiting.

I see nothing to worry about at this time.

not really a surprise. He's given multiple indications that his preference was to play in the South. 4 of his 5 finalists are southern schools. Oregon was the only exception.

Some of you are over thinking this. Prospects are 16-, 17-, and 18-year-old kids. They get things in their minds that is important to them, and that's that. It may not be what is important to you, or even what you agree with, but it's their lives.

Hard to blame a kid for putting Georgia and LSU in their top 5. They're going to be in the picture for studs around the country.

Texas A&M is becoming a serious pain in our neck in this region. Really sucks not to have lured Elijah Robinson away. I think they're an incredibly overrated program that gets an undeserved amount of praise and attention from the media, but Jimbo can recruit......and playing at Kyle Field in the SEC is appealing to a lot of kids.

Tennessee? I don't get it. It's been 13 years since they've had a 10-win season, and they're probably the 8th or 9th best team in that conference in any given year. But whatever.

Hard to blame a kid for putting Georgia and LSU in their top 5. They're going to be in the picture for studs around the country.

Texas A&M is becoming a serious pain in our neck in this region. Really sucks not to have lured Elijah Robinson away. I think they're an incredibly overrated program that gets an undeserved amount of praise and attention from the media, but Jimbo can recruit......and playing at Kyle Field in the SEC is appealing to a lot of kids.

Tennessee? I don't get it. It's been 13 years since they've had a 10-win season, and they're probably the 8th or 9th best team in that conference in any given year. But whatever.
Great facilities though-LCD screens in the bathrooms :rolleyes:

Reactions: TheGLOV

Jimbo has an aTm....

Reactions: PSUcup1 and TheGLOV

Some of you are over thinking this. Prospects are 16-, 17-, and 18-year-old kids. They get things in their minds that are important to them, and that's that. It may not be what is important to you, or even what you agree with, but it's their lives.

I wish him all the best.

Maybe, down the road, he'll enter the transfer portal and end up here.

No place like home! -Dorothy

Should be a good day tomorrow adding Wheatley and the King brothers. Doubt we get Ortiz.

Good start to our secondary class.

Ortiz trending toward Minny according to the CBs, not sure we have space for him right now.

Wheatley is a bit of a surprise right now, might be trying to lock down a spot? Secondary could be full tomorrow with "best player available" space for Davis and Grimes.

EDIT: still would want one more corner.

Reactions: NittanyIllinois
Just wait a few days .... OSU will lose a couple commits.... UM is passe' ..... long passe' ...... Ancient history and even at that the history is revisionist.

That's a nice evaluation, Tom.

https://bwi.rivals.com/news/penn-state-football-recruiting-player-evaluation-jaylen-reed

Jaylen was clearly a top priority for the Penn State coaching staff with his ability to make explosive plays. I like how they describe his physique as a coiled spring. Sounds a little like a Marcus Allen-type thumper. Really excited to get a killer at strong safety.

I think it depends on the overall recruiting class. Safety for now but could slide over if a need

Reactions: bmw199
ADVERTISEMENT