ADVERTISEMENT

2021 Phillies Thread

Neris almost blows a great performance from Wheeler. Hoskins with 2 more HR's, leads the league with 8. Hector is lucky Arenado didn't hit that ball 450 feet.

Neris almost blows a great performance from Wheeler. Hoskins with 2 more HR's, leads the league with 8. Hector is lucky Arenado didn't hit that ball 450 feet.
Arenado apparently wanted out of Colorado despite signing a huge contract with them.

He probably wished he could have gotten the extra 10 or 15 feet on the 9th inning deep fly ball that was a long out in St. Louis, but likely a home run in mile high Denver.

It was a great game from a fan’s perspective with some very good defensive plays and drama right up to the last out. I’m usually bored by baseball but Wheeler and Nola were both masterful and fun to watch. The loss in between these two games - not so much.

Charges were dropped because his girlfriend decided not to press charges. Didn't say he should be banned from MLB forever. Just a little conflicted about my team bringing him back.
Criminals all over sports, let him play. Served his time. Think he is still with the same woman. Herrera did not look that bad last night, certainly when compared to what else has manned the position. Struck out looking first AB, hooking liner to right, caught, hooking lines to left, also run down. Made the catch at end of game, who remembers Cole's no hitter. Moniak can't play CF, no instinct for ball in the air, breaks wrong or late; plus he can't hit. If this were the NFL might be able to dump him for an 8th rounder, yeah, I know they only have 7 rounds. The other guy who might net you an 8th rounder is Kingery. The only guy with a worse drafting record is Roseman, think that's how you spell his name.

Criminals all over sports, let him play. Served his time. Think he is still with the same woman. Herrera did not look that bad last night, certainly when compared to what else has manned the position. Struck out looking first AB, hooking liner to right, caught, hooking lines to left, also run down. Made the catch at end of game, who remembers Cole's no hitter. Moniak can't play CF, no instinct for ball in the air, breaks wrong or late; plus he can't hit. If this were the NFL might be able to dump him for an 8th rounder, yeah, I know they only have 7 rounds. The other guy who might net you an 8th rounder is Kingery. The only guy with a worse drafting record is Roseman, think that's how you spell his name.
Unfortunately Kingery's contract makes him untradeable as no one would even take a flyer on a new environment helping him out since he is scheduled to make 6 and 8 millions then next 2 seasons.

Harper took a 97mph fastball to the face had to leave the game. Cabrera pitching for Cards and then he plunked Didi on the next at bat. Girard flips out gets tossed. Phils up 5-3 bottom of ninth.

I didn't get to see what happened after Girardi got tossed but I hope multiple Cardinals were hit in the following innings! That was BS!!

No they made it impossible in a close game since they issued warnings to both teams in a tight game. He hits a guy in the face with a 97 mph fastball then drills Didi in the back next pitch. So it basically took the inside away from the Phillies because the Cardinals put this wildass in. It is the second time they have done this.

It was funny watching Girardi throw the umpire out of the game before the ump threw him out.

Reactions: LionsandBear
The issue is what he has to work with. Pitching is a huge problem as is consistent hitting. I see good old Nick Pivetta is 3-0 for the Red Sox. Also see Anibal Sanchez may be available. Velasquez is a lost cause.
Agree. Hard to really assess Girardi given the roster limitations. However, I am still happy he is the manager. I understand why they moved on from Pivetta, however it doesn't make sense why they keep trotting Velasquez out there. In terms of the rotation, I was expecting Moore and Anderson floor to be mediocre. But, they have been worse.

Reactions: royboy
Are you guys happy with the job Giraldi has been doing? I myself thought a lot of him during his time in New York.
He does NOT have the HITTING or pitching the likes of what he had in the Big Apple! Anyone who follows baseball/Phillies would know you can't make the comparison. The big difference between Girardi and the inexperienced Kapler is baseball knowledge. Give Joe a few more pitchers and hitters, and the Phillies will be off to the races!

The big difference between Girardi and the inexperienced Kapler is baseball knowledge.
So you're saying going by "the book" isn't a successful strategy? Heresy!!! Seriously though, as you wrote, Kalper didn't seem to have that baseball knowledge but maybe he'll find it in San Francisco. A big part of it is feeling the flow of the game and knowing the ups and downs of individual players at a given moment. You can't find that stuff on a stat sheet.

Reactions: LionJim
So you're saying going by "the book" isn't a successful strategy? Heresy!!! Seriously though, as you wrote, Kalper didn't seem to have that baseball knowledge but maybe he'll find it in San Francisco. A big part of it is feeling the flow of the game and knowing the ups and downs of individual players at a given moment. You can't find that stuff on a stat sheet.
You are correct!
Baseball is like any other sport, and that is, you have to take each game separately. If a guy is struggling for the 3rd-4th game in a row, sit him a game, and let him start all over again. You don't look in a "notebook" and see what a mathematician says.
Oh, and stick that PITCH COUNT up someone's ass! How in the world did the Marachal's, Gibson's, Seaver's, Carlton's, etc, do it! Very rarely was their a sore arm in that bunch.

Hard to believe Nola gave up a pinch-hit 3-run HR to Matt Carpenter today. Pretty much cost them the game, along with leaving men on base.

Any win is nice but dang. 2-1 with both runs coming on a strike out passed ball? The offense blows. On the bright side, they won with Harper on the bench. Tough loss for Stroman. He pitched great tonight.

Phillies win, unbelievably. Alvarado strikes out Dom Smith and then almost starts a brawl jawing at Smith from the prior series where they accused Alvarado of throwing at people. Comoros holds on in the ninth. Phillies score two runs on a bases loaded passed ball on a strikeout to Anderson. Wow. Stroman left with a hamstring issue.

Virtually no offense from the Phillies, but the stat of the game is the Mets going 1-14 with Runners in Scoring Position.

Ugly win, but a win.

Mets have been on hard times. Next two should be worth watching. Could blow up anytime.

Any win is nice but dang. 2-1 with both runs coming on a strike out passed ball? The offense blows. On the bright side, they won with Harper on the bench. Tough loss for Stroman. He pitched great tonight.
The Nationals have been shut out five times this year and have won two 1-0 games. They won 2-1 in extra innings last night, on a 2-run home run. I did a quick calculation and this year MLB team runs per game are down 12% from the full-year 2019 stats.

The Nationals have been shut out five times this year and have won two 1-0 games. They won 2-1 in extra innings last night, on a 2-run home run. I did a quick calculation and this year MLB team runs per game are down 12% from meagthe full-year 2019 stats.
Mets announcer, Ron Darling, noted that pitching appears to be dominating in each league. I would agree. How many guys now throw in the 90’s on a regular basis? The Phillies were late with their swings last night.

Reactions: LionJim
Roman Quinn cannot hit a cow’s ass with a banjo.
Roman Quinn cannot hit a cow’s ass with a banjo.
Roman Quinn should watch videotape of Matty Alou. He won a batting championship one year by hitting a lot of balls to deep short and legging it out. That was as close to stealing first base as I've ever seen.

As Larry Andersen says time and again, hit the ball on the ground and put the pressure on the defense to make a play. Forget about launch angle and hitting home runs.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT