ADVERTISEMENT

2021 Phillies Thread

Tom McAndrew

May 29, 2001
it's still the offseason, but Spring Training is set to open in a few weeks, so it's time to start a 2021 Phillies Thread. Please use this for all discussions abut the Phillies in 2021 (perhaps a bit in to 2022 .... we'll see).

Reactions: Psugo823 and royboy
Just thought I’d share some non news. In December, I got an email about the still ongoing plans to hold games in Clearwater. It was announced that the Phillies planned to hold games under very restricted means with plans to be finalized and a ticket presale for season ticket holders to be done mid-January. This all assumed first game end-Feb.

I haven’t heard anything since from the Phillies so that either means (1) no fans in the stands, or (2) a delay in starting even though Dombrowski says he still believes Feb ST is a go.

I have heard rumblings that ST will be pushed back to May with a season start at Memorial Day. This would allow for the 100 million injections within 100 days to take place, etc. But this is speculative and no statements have been made at a team or MLB level.

Just some non news that I’ve heard.

The Phillies had to get this deal done. Could not lose Sanchez who could be a great in that trade and not keep Realmuto around. He likely will outperform the value of the contract a few more years. Now step on the Mets toes and sign Trevor Bauer 😆

It's tough to get in as a shortstop. His case is helped by having made the playoffs 5 straight years (and the MVP award).

Howard? One of my favorites. Some of the HR's I saw--in person--were absolutely amazing. I will note three here. Vs Cincy--we are sitting out in the right field seats--and he huts one deep. We though we might have a chance at it--but it goes way over our heads and off the railing of the steamboat in deep center. Then in Cleveland, he hits a line drive rocket that barely rose and never dipped and just cleared the fence. Finally, there was Jim Thome Day at Citizens Bank. You know it's one of the last at bats of his career. The bases are loaded. And craaak. No doubt Grand Slam. Just like the old days. What a moment. What a way to honor two careers. But I think he comes up just short of the Hall.

Phils still have some major work to do with this roster. SS, CF, SP, and bullpen. Right now, looks like they are looking up at Braves, Nationals, and Mets. And since they can't beat the Marlins, maybe looking up at them too

Phils still have some major work to do with this roster. SS, CF, SP, and bullpen. Right now, looks like they are looking up at Braves, Nationals, and Mets. And since they can't beat the Marlins, maybe looking up at them too
There’s variability at play. Hoskins had under performed. Cutch did last year too. If they get some upward regression there and the bullpen is a notch or two better, then they’re right in the thick of the playoff race.

Reactions: BrianS and LundyPSU
There’s variability at play. Hoskins had under performed. Cutch did last year too. If they get some upward regression there and the bullpen is a notch or two better, then they’re right in the thick of the playoff race.
Was Cutch's struggle b/c he was coming off injury or just on that normal downside with aging players. What is Hoskins exactly? He was much better during that brief stretch pre-injury. To me, he is the key to their offensive performance. Didi is back and is a good move. Now CF is the last position to fill. And of course, more pitching! The moves by the rest of the division will force Middleton to spend more. He doesn't want a last place team.

While I agree with what you said, the "key" is STARTING PITCHING!

Considering the Phillies narrowly missed the playoffs last year by 2 (?) games and had the worst bullpen in 90 years, we’ll have to disagree.

Starting pitching is critical, but in today’s game, no starter will consistently go more than seven innings.
You are correct! But, beside Nola and Eflin, we have no one consistent in getting at least to the 6th inning.

You are correct! But, beside Nola and Eflin, we have no one consistent in getting at least to the 6th inning.
Wheeler is also in that group. So if 3 of 5 starters are very good to above average, then you need an improved pen. If their pen ERA was 20th instead of dead last (by a mile), that’s probably a 10-win swing over 162 games. They don’t even need to be league average to win 90-something games.

Reactions: royboy
In case anyone is wondering, the Spring Training plans are still being considered. The Nats and I believe one other team started the presale for their ST tickets today with the expectation of games starting according to schedule. This hasn’t been agreed between MLB and the PA. The more likely scenario might be the delay of the season by a month with a 154 game schedule. Under this scenario, ST would commence March 22nd and the season to start around May 1. The Phillies hope to do something likely next week one way or the other. The first stage will be a presale for Season Ticket holders. The Phillirs will have the seats spread out and likely offer 2 tickets, 3 tickets, and 4 tickets. If you have a group larger than 4 people, you won’t be able to get 5 together.

Reactions: TheGLOV
Nice lower risk pitching options added for depth. Sounds like the Phils are looking to add a bench player. Given they are getting closer the luxury tax limit, I am guessing they won't add a starting CF. Quinn/Haseley platoon?

Meh. Both were very, very good. Jimmy never quite had the peak (one MVP as the outlier) and Ryan never had the longevity. We’ll see.

well, if Alan Trammell, Harold Baines, Tim Raines, and Ted Simmons are HoFers then you're gonna have a real hard time convincing me Howard and Rollins don't deserve it as well

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT