ADVERTISEMENT

2021 Phillies Thread

Unfortunately, despite his recent favorable outing, not sure it is reasonable to expect VV to turn the corner. As a fan it is almost expected to lose his starts. :(

...but in his defense, he still may very well be more effective than this year's bullpen... :rolleyes:

Reactions: jp3272
Vinny Velo can't get away with his flat fastballs over the middle of the plate against a team like Boston. That's what he's giving you when he's 2-0 or 3-1 all the time. Maybe he and Ranger should switch roles. After we decide what Ranger's role is!

Phillies up 11-2 in the 8th...do any fellow fans truly feel "comfortable"? LOL

EDIT: Ironically the Red Sox loaded the bases with nobody out after I posted this...and yet somehow didn't score... :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Relayer
Nice bounce back win today. Hate to see Acuna tear his ACL. That sucks!

Weird for Alec Bohm. He hit a HR in the 2nd inning of the 11-2 win over the Red Sox, and then got pulled in the 8th inning apparently due to Covid protocol.

INJURY UPDATES
Day to day

INF Alec Bohm (COVID-19 protocols)
Expected return:
TBD
Bohm left in the eighth inning of a July 10 game vs. the Red Sox due to COVID-19 protocols, manager Joe Girardi said. Girardi added, “We’ll know more as time goes on. But that’s all I can give you right now.” (Last updated: July 10)

After a miserable start of the season, Bohm has hit .300 over the last 100 AB's and got his average up to .243. Hope he is Okay; if this had to happen the All-Star break is a good time.

A win today would get the Phllies up to .500 going into the break.

Reactions: Shadow99
Very good road trip heading into the break. Need to find some bullpen help...they in the thick of it.

Very good road trip heading into the break. Need to find some bullpen help...they in the thick of it.

Rich Rodriguez of the Pirates is someone I hope we're looking at. Has an ERA of about 2.30 as a reliever.

This seven game road trip had disaster written all over it prior to the start. I could see a 2 - 5 or 1 - 6 trip landing us out of race for all intents and purposes. We caught the Cubs in a slide at home and beat the first place Bosox 2 out of 3. We found our bats. Even the pen looked better.

Five days off for R&R and prep for the 2nd half.

Friday night's loss was a travel loss. The Cubs screwed us by not scheduling the Thursday game for the afternoon. So we finish up around 11 PM. Probably didn't get on the plane until 1 AM, probably didn't get into the hotel until 4 or 5 AM. No wonder we looked flat. Sat and Sun games, we looked much better.

National League
East
TeamWLPctGBHomeRoadEastCentralWestLast 10Streak
NY Mets4740.540-28 - 1419 - 2619 - 189 - 914 - 66 - 4L 1
Philadelphia4444.5003.524 - 1620 - 2820 - 2212 - 66 - 97 - 3W 2
Atlanta4445.494424 - 2220 - 2323 - 2316 - 93 - 36 - 4L 1
Washington4247.472624 - 2218 - 2517 - 169 - 108 - 172 - 8L 4
Miami3950.438922 - 2117 - 2917 - 176 - 1314 - 105 - 5W 1

Very positive scouting report on Painter here.

Andrew Painter is an incredibly talented pitcher with a premium body and polish not generally found in arms his age. He’s got every pitch necessary to be a big-time starting pitcher at the next level. The velocity and command are both present, so cleaning up the edges will be huge in his development. The whole package has the potential to move quickly through an organization.

With this important caveat:

There’s inherent risk in selecting a high school pitcher with your first pick of any draft, and that’s an aspect of Painter that Seattle, or any team for that matter, must weigh when considering his name in July.
Still, it’s hard to argue he’s not the best prep arm in this class, and it might be by a reasonably comfortable margin.

Still, it’s hard to argue he’s not the best prep arm in this class, and it might be by a reasonably comfortable margin.

Reportedly, he was considered the top prep pitcher a year ago. Since then, most/all analysts moved Jackson Jobe (take with the 3rd pick by the Tigers) ahead of Painter in the prep pitcher rankings.

Painter was actually the 3rd prep pitcher taken in R1. The Royals selected Frank Mozzicato with the 7th pick. That was probably the biggest surprise in the early picks, though there is a lot of speculation that the Royals took Mozzicato with the idea of signing him under slot, so that they had more money to spend in the rest of the draft.

Phils take care of business in game 1. Not a good start in game 2, Efflin gives up a 2 run HR in the first, 2-0 Fish in the 3rd.

How is Harper not starting this game? They are paying him 330 mil and he just had a week off.

Reactions: Shadow99
The bullpen strikes again. More accurately, the closer strikes again. Different guy, same story. Ranger had a nice run though.

Reactions: psuno1
It's tough to watch but look at all the guys stranded on 3rd. Chance after chance, nothing. It's more entertaining watching Bowa and Charlie at the zoo.

• Haha
Reactions: TheGLOV
JT with a walk off bomb, Phils win the suspended game 4-2. Wheeler starts the regular game, let's go!
Obviously the strength of division (or lack thereof) is a major factor, but still hard to believe that they are only 2 games back in the NL East considering the state of the bullpen and other issues that we have discussed in this forum. LOL

Phillies are now 1 game above .500 at 46-45. With how many injuries and blown saves they have had, that’s not a bad achievement. They have a chance at winning the division.

Reactions: jjw165 and WaylonJ
2 over, 2 back of the Mets going into NYY. A split of this 2 gamer is a must.

I don't understand how a fake pick to 1B is not a balk. The Marlins did this in the 8th this afternoon. You can step off, pitch, or go to 1B. You can't fake a pick to 1B. It's a balk. Had the Phillies not won the game I could be a problem to local law enforcement right now. (OK kidding)

I guess they think he stepped off but I don't see it.

JT with a walk off bomb, Phils win the suspended game 4-2. Wheeler starts the regular game, let's go!
Great day except for the Bucs' collapse. THen again if you're counting on the Bucs for help you gots problems ay?

That aside, the Pirates beat them 4/6 and I know they hate each other like we hate the Mets too so it's all fun.

Reactions: royboy and Shadow99
I saw some good fundamentals today. Segura's bunt to move the runner was key.

But last night, Harper on 2nd with no outs and 3 outs later he's still at 2nd.

His career might be over. He never seemed quite right after he got Covid last year.

Most Vegas odds have the Phillies WS title odds at 60:1 which is wild when the Mets are still 9:1. All the main websites that actually nail the usual results have the Phillies more than doubling the Mets odds of even making the playoffs. Might be a fun one to jump on.

Most Vegas odds have the Phillies WS title odds at 60:1 which is wild when the Mets are still 9:1. All the main websites that actually nail the usual results have the Phillies more than doubling the Mets odds of even making the playoffs. Might be a fun one to jump on.
I'd say the Mets pitching gives them WS odds.

Yet another baffling signing by the McPhail/Klentak front office.
Some claim Kingery was destroyed by Phils having him play multiple positions. Look at the top teams, example Dodgers, they have guys playing all over the diamond. Kapler and analytics destroyed Kingery and that thing called the launch angle swing. Small guy, good speed why hit the ball in the air.

Some claim Kingery was destroyed by Phils having him play multiple positions. Look at the top teams, example Dodgers, they have guys playing all over the diamond. Kapler and analytics destroyed Kingery and that thing called the launch angle swing. Small guy, good speed why hit the ball in the air.
That Kapler guy sucks. Now he's destroying the Giants.

Reactions: PSUriseANDfire
It can be possible that Gabe was an ill-prepared cartoon in Philly, took his lumps and learned a bit to become better elsewhere. That's possible.

And it wouldn't be the first time the Phillies org took a zero and launched him to stardom somewhere else. In fact it's not even a little surprising.

Reactions: PSUriseANDfire
It can be possible that Gabe was an ill-prepared cartoon in Philly, took his lumps and learned a bit to become better elsewhere. That's possible.

And it wouldn't be the first time the Phillies org took a zero and launched him to stardom somewhere else. In fact it's not even a little surprising.
Could also be possible that the Giants are over performing despite Kapler this year. As I said when Gabe was here, I really don't think the manager is worth +/- about 4 games over the season. The GM is a different story.

Considering that the Phils performance hasn't changed much since Gabe left, I'd say your #2 option is probably more likely.

That said, betting the Phillies at 5 to 1 to win the NL East seems like pretty good value right now.

That said, betting the Phillies at 5 to 1 to win the NL East seems like pretty good value right now.
Yes and when you consider most of the seamheads including MLB.com had them 4th or 5th at the beginning of the year, that seems an attractive overlay...or maybe right around where they should have been all along? The bullpen though still gives me brain freeze.

I figure if I didn't like them at +850 at the beginning of the year, why would I take them now at +500? I don't know, good luck if you get on them. Make some cash. 💰

Yes and when you consider most of the seamheads including MLB.com had them 4th or 5th at the beginning of the year, that seems an attractive overlay...or maybe right around where they should have been all along? The bullpen though still gives me brain freeze.

I figure if I didn't like them at +850 at the beginning of the year, why would I take them now at +500? I don't know, good luck if you get on them. Make some cash. 💰
Phils remaining schedule is actually pretty favorable, particularly compared to the Mets. Yes the bullpen scares me but I think the offense has some positive regression coming. I give them probably a 25% to win the division which makes +500 positive EV. Enough to tie money up until October? Meh.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT