ADVERTISEMENT

2021 Phillies Thread

Prior to the Braves series I felt it was imperative to win three of four against a division foe with a similar record. As of this morning a split is the best outcome. The team has a lot of holes to fill. I hope the front office doesn't have delusions of grandeur and make some ridiculously lopsided trade before the deadline.

Prior to the Braves series I felt it was imperative to win three of four against a division foe with a similar record. As of this morning a split is the best outcome. The team has a lot of holes to fill. I hope the front office doesn't have delusions of grandeur and make some ridiculously lopsided trade before the deadline.
.500 is this team’s ceiling. There isn’t a single playoff worthy part of the roster. That’s alarming for the payroll.

Dombrowski inherited a real mess. His Realmuto deal appears to be his own doing. The club needs to be gutted and rebuilt

Phils get outscored 24-12 in the series, but somehow get a split. Nola threw great today, but he needs to be more consistent.

Reactions: royboy
Cutch was clutch. He has a history of hitting well against that pitcher and the local Nats announcers were fearing walking Harper to get to him.

Reactions: WaylonJ
Taking a break from the Phightins due to the Olympics. A walk-off 3-run HR is a great way to end the game.
Can't blame you with this team. I did catch the young female swimmer from Alaska winning gold in the breaststroke. That was great!

Reactions: royboy
Watched it on the MASN station (available with my DirecTV package). The disappointment from their color broadcaster FP Santangelo was enjoyable.

Offense consisted of 2 3-run HRs, one by Hoskins and one by Cutch. Not ideal, but a good win for sure.

Watching the wrap on NBCSportsPhilly. Ben Davis is gushing about how good the bullpen was. Ben, dude...Alvarado walked the bases loaded and Archie gave up a late run to go down 2 including at least one walk, I forget, maybe two... Hector two appearances in a row he was good in the setup/mopup role. I'll give you that. It was a great win and I root for Cutch...I understand why the Buc fans loved him...but this bullpen is still a disaster. Big swat by Hoskins.

A win is a win but Ben, don't be Ruben. We get bullshitted enough every day without you telling us how good the bullpen is. At least tonight Washington's was worse.

Watching the wrap on NBCSportsPhilly. Ben Davis is gushing about how good the bullpen was. Ben, dude...Alvarado walked the bases loaded and Archie gave up a late run to go down 2 including at least one walk, I forget, maybe two... Hector two appearances in a row he was good in the setup/mopup role. I'll give you that. It was a great win and I root for Cutch...I understand why the Buc fans loved him...but this bullpen is still a disaster. Big swat by Hoskins.

A win is a win but Ben, don't be Ruben. We get bullshitted enough every day without you telling us how good the bullpen is. At least tonight Washington's was worse.
Tough crowd. One ER in 5.1 innings is pretty good for bullpen that has been disappointing.

Tough crowd. One ER in 5.1 innings is pretty good for bullpen that has been disappointing.
Grant did you watch Alvarado? He was out of his mind, and not in a game situation. He walked the bases loaded. Dodged a big bullet. Almost drilled a guy in the noggin.

He's out of control. Yes he can throw 101. So what. He has no idea where it's going, we've seen this again and again. It can't be ignored. Somebody has to reel this guy in. He's got all the velo in the world but wants to throw everything through a wall.

Think about how bad the Phillies and Nats bullpens are....I'm sure there are other shitty bullpens but I don't pay attention to much beyond the NLE. Think about how thin the Phillies' bench is. Now we want expansion. It's going to be pretty watery tea.

Grant did you watch Alvarado? He was out of his mind, and not in a game situation. He walked the bases loaded. Dodged a big bullet. Almost drilled a guy in the noggin.

He's out of control. Yes he can throw 101. So what. He has no idea where it's going, we've seen this again and again. It can't be ignored. Somebody has to reel this guy in. He's got all the velo in the world but wants to throw everything through a wall.
I hear you but I'm looking at the BP as a whole. Gotta give them credit where it is due. They don't get it often.

.500 is this team’s ceiling. There isn’t a single playoff worthy part of the roster. That’s alarming for the payroll.

Dombrowski inherited a real mess. His Realmuto deal appears to be his own doing. The club needs to be gutted and rebuilt
I agree with you and will add that the catching position is a black hole in the organization. Look at the backup. So I don’t think he had much choice but to resign JT.

Reactions: WestSideLion
Seranthony back soon?

PHILADELPHIA -- Seranthony Domínguez last threw a pitch for the Phillies on June 5, 2019. He had Tommy John surgery on his right elbow on July 30, 2020.

Domínguez said Monday afternoon that he might be pitching for Philadelphia by late August or early September. He threw a simulated game on Saturday at Citizens Bank Park, and both he and the Phils said he could begin a rehab assignment as early as next week.
“My arm feels really good,” he said. “I’m letting it go 100%.”
Domínguez’s fastball averaged 98 mph in 2018 and 97.3 in 2019. He said it averaged 93-94 mph in recent bullpen sessions, but there is reason to think his velocity will improve as he builds arm strength and pitches in more competitive environments.
“I think it’s possible we could get him back,” Phillies manager Joe Girardi said. “He’ll throw tomorrow. He’ll throw an inning, get three outs, then go back out. We won't extend him too far. It takes a while.

https://www.mlb.com/phillies/news/seranthony-dominguez-could-return-for-phillies-during-2021

Reactions: Shadow99
Can this please be Matt Moore's last game in a Phils uniform? He is awful, giving up two 3-run bombs, ERA now at 6.46. Nats lead 6-2 after 4.

Reactions: psrurock
Another veteran sports reporter taking a buyout package from the Inquirer/Daily News. I always enjoyed Brooky's perspective on the Phils.

Brad Miller with the walkoff grandslam after the team was down seven runs

Ok Dombo, what’s next? Trade Brad Miller? High value piece, right? How can you and Middleton expect people to get behind you and the team when you keep doing these bullpen games because you don’t have starting pitching? Glad for some dramatic wins but you can’t depend on that very often! I know you inherited a tough situation but not being able to close the deal for the Pirates starter? Heard there was a conspiracy theory re Cherington and Dipoto and garbage left over from the Red Sox and you guys? Any truth to that?

Ok Dombo, what’s next? Trade Brad Miller? High value piece, right? How can you and Middleton expect people to get behind you and the team when you keep doing these bullpen games because you don’t have starting pitching? Glad for some dramatic wins but you can’t depend on that very often! I know you inherited a tough situation but not being able to close the deal for the Pirates starter? Heard there was a conspiracy theory re Cherington and Dipoto and garbage left over from the Red Sox and you guys? Any truth to that?
Crickets........

Looks like a deal for some pitching help

Philadelphia Phillies near deal to acquire Kyle Gibson, Ian Kennedy from Texas Rangers, sources say

The Philadelphia Phillies are making their move, finalizing a deal to get starting pitcher Kyle Gibson and reliever Ian Kennedy from the Texas Rangers, sources told ESPN's Jeff Passan.

In return, the Rangers will get Spencer Howard and two other prospects, sources told ESPN.

Gibson, a 33-year-old right-hander, is 6-3 with a 2.87 ERA and 94 strikeouts this season. He joined the Rangers in 2020 after spending his first seven MLB seasons with the Twins.

Overall, he has a 75-77 record with a 4.42 ERA and 997 strikeouts.

Kennedy, a 36-year-old right-hander, had 16 saves in his first season with the Rangers. Primarily a starter for most of his career, he moved to the bullpen as a closer with the Royals in 2019 and tallied 30 saves.

Did realize Ian Kennedy was still in the game. Spent some time in NE PA years ago in the Yankees org.

Spencer Howard will be an all-time mystery. If he was 21, he would still be here but you can only wait for so long.

It was nice they made the effort to contend for the playoffs but judging by today's performance they should have been sellers and not buyers. Making another mediocre pitcher look like an all-star.
Yeah. It’s pretty obvious that Dombrowski punted on this season. Rightly so, I think. He has a crap hand with this franchise right now.

Yeah. It’s pretty obvious that Dombrowski punted on this season. Rightly so, I think. He has a crap hand with this franchise right now.
Could not agree more. A quick look-see at the minor league stats is sobering, to say the least. The entire organization needs to be rebuilt. The owner and Klentak set back the Phillies for 10 years.

Reactions: WestSideLion
It was nice they made the effort to contend for the playoffs but judging by today's performance they should have been sellers and not buyers. Making another mediocre pitcher look like an all-star.
I don’t think I would characterize these moves as “buyers”. Other than the minor league pitcher they got from the Rangers, they were moving players out of the organization and taking some stop-gap older guys to sell a few tickets thru September. IMHO, of course.

As I mentioned to WSL above, the minor league stats are awful. I think they have their middle infield prospects in the pipeline but other than that, it’s bare down there.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT