ADVERTISEMENT

2021 Phillies Thread

I don’t think I would characterize these moves as “buyers”. Other than the minor league pitcher they got from the Rangers, they were moving players out of the organization and taking some stop-gap older guys to sell a few tickets thru September. IMHO, of course.

As I mentioned to WSL above, the minor league stats are awful. I think they have their middle infield prospects in the pipeline but other than that, it’s bare down there.
Hopefully, the HS arms they drafted the past couple of years pan out. Howard didn’t work out. Bohm is not good this season. Things don’t look good for a top-heavy roster stuck with big deals to pay for many years.

Geez, I’m watching the game and they just announced that Brito, one of the few bright spots in the minors and future 2B, was rushed to the hospital and is in surgery. Not a game related medical incident.

I may be in the minority, but I like the trades that the Phils made at the deadline. The GM was holding a lousy hand, in that 1) their farm system doesn't have a lot in the pipeline, 2) they didn't have a lot of leeway before they would exceed the luxury tax, and 3) injuries have plagued the starters all season.

Dombrowski was able to get a starting pitcher, and a closer, and didn't give up a starter or one of their elite prospects. (With the caveat that Spencer Howard was considered an elite prospect two years ago, but that's no longer the case.) And the Phils ownership has to be pleased that the trades did not push their payroll over the luxury tax threshold.

Hopefully, the HS arms they drafted the past couple of years pan out. Howard didn’t work out. Bohm is not good this season. Things don’t look good for a top-heavy roster stuck with big deals to pay for many years.
Not ready to throw Bohm under the bus.

No doubt he had a bad slump early in the season, but he is hitting .305 over the last 30 games. I like his ability to hit to all fields and seems to be back to putting the ball in play instead of swinging for the fences.

No doubt he had a bad slump early in the season, but he is hitting .305 over the last 30 games. I like his ability to hit to all fields and seems to be back to putting the ball in play instead of swinging for the fences.

Oh, I’m not throwing Bohm under the bus. What I’m saying is that he hasn’t looked the sure-fire WAR type player that he appeared to be last season. There’s still plenty of time left.

For some time, the organization’s prospect pool was built on Bohm and Howard. Howard is now gone. Moniak is a bust-o-la at #1 overall and suddenly there isn’t much in the major league pipeline at present.

Being honest, Nola isn’t the star we’d hoped he’d be. Would they pay big money to resign him after this season (were he a free agent)? It’s almost impossible to compete with so few homegrown players making big contributions in the majors.

I thought Ben Davis had a good comment on yesterday’s broadcast about Bohm. He played against eastern division teams last year and didn’t see the entire league and inter-league pitching so this year has been the adjustment. I confess I was pessimistic about him but he is hitting much better lately. Still a defensive liability, however, don’t see that getting better.

In praise of Bryce Harper (he gets plenty of criticism)

He's currently hitting .302, his OPS of .959 is 5th highest in the NL, he has played while dinged up, he makes plays defensively, he makes plays on the base paths with 12 steals on 13 attempts and looks to take extra bases. He provides enthusiasm and positive motivation for the team.

In his last 30 games, he is hitting .353 with an on-base % of .464

The guy is a legitimate star who is doing his part to get the up-and-down Phillies into the playoffs.

The issue/concern I have for Bohm is that he has shown limited power at all levels and is a major liability in the field. He will likely end up at 1B where he needs to be major power and hitting contributor, which I'm not sure I see in his future. If he could become even an average defender at 3B that would increase his value, but as mentioned earlier that seems unlikely to happen.

As for the Moniak draft bust, there is not a single 1st rounder from that draft worth a darn. It was a terrible year to have the #1 selection. Maybe Manning with the Tigers or Kirilloff with the Twins develop more but no body else in the 1st round looks to be much of a MLB player. You need to go late in 2nd before you get to anyone like Reynolds, Alonso, and Bichette. The best player, Bieber, went in the 4th. It was not like Astros selecting Appeal over Bryant or the Rays selecting Beckham in 2008 over several future all stars in the top 10.

Sometimes there is just no talent in the draft.

The good news - the Phils win 7-5
The bad news - Ian Kennedy's first two appearances haven't inspired confidence. There must be something in the bullpen water.

Reactions: Relayer
I heard a Ben Revere reference on the post game show. Ok Phils fans, how many of you even knew Revere lead the NL in hits with 184 back in 2014? I had no clue, but that was a bad team.

• Haha
Reactions: Tom McAndrew
The good news - the Phils win 7-5
The bad news - Ian Kennedy's first two appearances haven't inspired confidence. There must be something in the bullpen water.
Common denominator is behind the plate. Maybe it’s the guy calling the pitches.

Hamels to the Dodgers. Were the Phils ever in the conversation? Good to know we have Chase Anderson pitching tonight, I feel a lot better.

Crazy how our hopes tonight were on Chase Anderson starting and Matt Moore in long relief. Glad to be wrong so far....8-4 Phils heading to the 8th.

Reactions: NittPicker
I was worried when Anderson was throwing batting practice but the offense did a fantastic job of stringing together hits. Yes, great relief effort by Moore.

And Harper is on fire. As Yoda would say, "Carry the team, he may."

Reactions: Relayer and jp3272
Anderson is a hitting tee. Not viable.

Maybe they found a role for Moore but he's still terrible. OK, win tomorrow...realize that the Phillies can be in the catbird seat Sunday night. Almost unbelievable but somebody has to win this thing. Win the Div. If they hang a Div flag it will be a great accomplishment. Guys are getting hot at the right time. Win the damn thing.

EDIT: I won't be one ragging on Harper. He puts out DAILY. Yes he might be overpaid, they all are but he doesn't take a play or a throw or an extra base for granted, ever. To me that's all you can ask.

Reactions: 2atpsu and Relayer
Haven't felt this good about the Phils all year! The bats are hot and the additions of Gibson and Kennedy have helped the staff. Even with NOLA struggling, this team finds a way.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT