ADVERTISEMENT

2021 Phillies Thread

I frequently watch the telecast with the sound off and listen to Scot Franzke and LA. LA has been hypercritical of the bullpen, Girardi and Neris in particular. He was incredulous when they took out Vince after five innings yesterday. He said something like "hasn't Joe watched our bullpen lately?" LA has also been hypercritical of today's hitters - "swing as hard as you can in case you hit it". With Harper on 2nd after a leadoff double, Hoskins couldn't move him to 3rd. Base running blunders, lack of hustle, admiring your fly ball instead of busting it out of the box . . . There just isn't a lot of sound baseball in this team - other than Jean Segurra who I really enjoy watching play the game.

Reactions: royboy
I frequently watch the telecast with the sound off and listen to Scot Franzke and LA. LA has been hypercritical of the bullpen, Girardi and Neris in particular. He was incredulous when they took out Vince after five innings yesterday. He said something like "hasn't Joe watched our bullpen lately?" LA has also been hypercritical of today's hitters - "swing as hard as you can in case you hit it". With Harper on 2nd after a leadoff double, Hoskins couldn't move him to 3rd. Base running blunders, lack of hustle, admiring your fly ball instead of busting it out of the box . . . There just isn't a lot of sound baseball in this team - other than Jean Segurra who I really enjoy watching play the game.
Yeah, it bothered me that in the 5th inning yesterday, after scoring 2 runs, the Phillies had 2nd and 3rd with no outs, and couldn't produce another run.

That's the kind of thing that magnifies bullpen troubles in tight games.

Phillies do things or fail to do certain things that are different than successful teams. In one word -- fundamentals.

Reactions: Rick76
This plate ump tonight is not having his finest hour. Hopefully Howard gets some of these calls.

Would rather trade Harper and Use that money to get two quality starting pitchers.
Fix the farm and stop signing outrageously expensive free agents. Pretty simple.

Would rather trade Harper and Use that money to get two quality starting pitchers.
Fix the farm and stop signing outrageously expensive free agents. Pretty simple.
Harper has a full no-trade clause. Maybe somebody smart about these things could say whether he could waive it, i.e. demand a trade, which if the team continues to tread water I wouldn't discount as a possibility. I don't know.

As far as the big ticket FA's, I certainly concur but the problem is bigger than that...they whiff on too many draft picks and unload struggling guys who thrive elsewhere. Smacks of a "systemic" coaching/development problem. I mean two years ago Kingery looked like a viable player. Now he's off the 40-man and nowhere near viable. How does this happen? Bad C-19 outcome? Maybe but he's not the only guy who looked like a player who turned into a pumpkin.

Six shutout innings from Wheeler although he didn't have his best stuff. And no blown save!!! Taking at least two of three in SF would be a big deal given the spate of injuries during the past couple games.

Six shutout innings from Wheeler although he didn't have his best stuff. And no blown save!!! Taking at least two of three in SF would be a big deal given the spate of injuries during the past couple games.
Segura from one of the hottest bats in the league to out for 3+ weeks with groin injury. Ugh.

Typical Vinnie V. He cruises for 4 innings and gets staked to a 5-0 lead. Walks the first 2 batters in the 5th and just like that we are tied at 5.

This bullpen is brutal. If you are counting on David Hale to get big outs, your team is in huge trouble. Phils have walked 7 batters and 6 of them have scored. Now trailing 11-9 after 6.

Harper has a full no-trade clause. Maybe somebody smart about these things could say whether he could waive it, i.e. demand a trade, which if the team continues to tread water I wouldn't discount as a possibility. I don't know.

As far as the big ticket FA's, I certainly concur but the problem is bigger than that...they whiff on too many draft picks and unload struggling guys who thrive elsewhere. Smacks of a "systemic" coaching/development problem. I mean two years ago Kingery looked like a viable player. Now he's off the 40-man and nowhere near viable. How does this happen? Bad C-19 outcome? Maybe but he's not the only guy who looked like a player who turned into a pumpkin.
Oh my. We are stuck with yet another vastly overpaid free agent.

Phillies season 2021

200.gif

It's interesting. I sort of wonder whether Bryce was actually made worse by Moneyball. Early in his career, he had very complete game. Singles, speed, power, aggressiveness. It seems like the more he's done what players are told to do these days (forego singles for homers, at the risk of outs), the less disruptive a force he is in the lineup.

Overpaid, sure but he's the least of the Phillies' problems. He's contributing and plays a pretty good RF and has a plus arm. He and Herrera have a terrible time out there communicating but usually that can be fixed. Then again, it's Herrera we're talking about. The CF is supposed to have priority over everything but Odubel is not that assertive, hence you had several bad misplays on tweeners to right center involving these two.

Harper's numbers in general are around career average for the year. Incredible that all his HRs have been solo jobs. His RBIs are down for sure.

Yes, he's overpaid. He would have been overpaid wherever he went but I'm not completely down on him although my main beef would be that he always seems to be hurt. I know he's got a tricky back. But still they're getting some value from him, compared to say Arrieta who was a complete money pit.

It's interesting. I sort of wonder whether Bryce was actually made worse by Moneyball. Early in his career, he had very complete game. Singles, speed, power, aggressiveness. It seems like the more he's done what players are told to do these days (forego singles for homers, at the risk of outs), the less disruptive a force he is in the lineup.
Haha. Semper ubi sub ubi. Without Harper and Realmuto, the Phillies are the Pirates.

Overpaid, sure but he's the least of the Phillies' problems. He's contributing and plays a pretty good RF and has a plus arm. He and Herrera have a terrible time out there communicating but usually that can be fixed. Then again, it's Herrera we're talking about. The CF is supposed to have priority over everything but Odubel is not that assertive, hence you had several bad misplays on tweeners to right center involving these two.

Harper's numbers in general are around career average for the year. Incredible that all his HRs have been solo jobs. His RBIs are down for sure.

Yes, he's overpaid. He would have been overpaid wherever he went but I'm not completely down on him although my main beef would be that he always seems to be hurt. I know he's got a tricky back. But still they're getting some value from him, compared to say Arrieta who was a complete money pit.
I agree and when they signed him, I thought that it might have been better to sign 3 good players at $8mil vs 1 guy at $24mil.
But it doesn’t matter really. The organizational problems that have plagued the Phillies for 125 years are still present. They can’t draft and develop players consistently. They have had basically 3 “eras” where the teams were good - 1949-‘53, ‘75-‘83, ‘03-11.

This team has the stupidest MFers on the team. Alvarado grabs the dribbled ball and soft tosses it to Hoskins who loses it in the sun because his friggin sunglasses are on his hat.

And game tied as the runner who got on because of an error scores on a Lindor single. If I was Nola I’d punch the crap out of both Hoskins and Alvarado.

Reactions: psrurock
And game tied as the runner who got on because of an error scores on a Lindor single. If I was Nola I’d punch the crap out of both Hoskins and Alvarado.
These guys are listless, sloppy, and seemingly disinterested. See the Mets double steal on them? When do the Phillies do anything even remotely aggressive like that? Never. They can't convert the most basic of defensive plays. Why would they try anything ballsy? Trade everybody.

You get a drop-dead gem of a game from Nola, the regulars turn in a ZERO RBI offensive performance, and they are an unmitigated disaster.

I love the Phils. I try to be a loyal fan but it's not easy, especially this year. I'm wary of watching games because I worry they'll blow a late lead and disappointment me yet again. My wariness is often rewarded.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT