ADVERTISEMENT

2021 Phillies Thread

Crazy game 1 against the Fish. Phil's tied it in the 6th (I think), 1-1. Then the Phil's 'pen quickly gave up a 2-run HR. In the bottom of the 8th, the Phils have battled back to tie it up, and still have the bases loaded with 1 out. The Fish are making a pitching change.

Two idiots/drunks decided to leave the stands and run across the outfield. One was so inebriated that he had trouble running, and eventually face-planted without any contributing actions by security.

And then Torreyes hits a ball up around his eyes into left field for a pinch-hit double, plating 2, and the Phils take a 5-3 lead in the bottom of the 8th. Men on 2nd and 3rd, and still only 1 out, with Cutch at bat. Cutch falls behind 0-2, then a ball, then he checks on a ball, then barely outside for a full count, and then a ball for a walk to load up the bases for Segura, and still only 1 out. Segura hits a high bouncer, the Fish's 1st baseman throws home and isn't close to the catcher, so, the Phils go up 6-3, and now Harper to the plate with the bases loaded. Harper is swinging for the fences, and quickly falls behind 0-2 as he misses the first two pitches. Then a ball, then another ball, and then another ball for a full count. Harper smokes a single to right and plates 2 more, making it 8-3, Phils. 1st and 3rd with 1 out, and Hoskins to the plate. He gets ahead in the count 3-1, and then pops it up to the 2nd baseman (he had a pitch right down the center of the plate -- just got under it a bit). Bohm up (he drove in the 1st two runs in the inning), with 1st and 3rd and 2 out. He falls behind 1-2, and then grounds out to 2nd.

12 men to the plate for the Phils, and they score 7 runs on 7 hits.

If the 'pen can't hold this lead, I will be irate.

Shame for the Wheeler no decision. 10 Ks, 5 hits, 0 walks, 0 ERs. Outstanding effort but that's the way the game goes sometimes.

Shame for the Wheeler no decision. 10 Ks, 5 hits, 0 walks, 0 ERs. Outstanding effort but that's the way the game goes sometimes.

yeah, he pitched well enough to get a W, but got very little run support before he was lifted. The Phils weren't doing too much with their bats before the 8th inning, and then everything the did seemed to work. Part of the beauty of baseball.

It didn't matter because the Phils lost by more than a run but that baseline shit needs to be tightened up. Cutch got boned a week ago for far less going into 2nd. This was way worse and was a scoring play. Does anybody have to ever worry about a job as a pro sports official? This is like the supreme court. Lifetime appointment. Popes have quit before some of these umps.

I know Spencer Howard is young but how the heck does he walk the opposing AMERICAN League pitcher in his first plate appearance of the year?? The guy hasn't played in the NL since 2014 and has only had 21 ABs and one hit since. Then he walks the next guy. Then he gives up a hit. Then he walks the next guy. Gonna be a short night for him with the pitch count climbing.

I know Spencer Howard is young but how the heck does he walk the opposing AMERICAN League pitcher in his first plate appearance of the year?? The guy hasn't played in the NL since 2014 and has only had 21 ABs and one hit since. Then he walks the next guy. Then he gives up a hit. Then he walks the next guy. Gonna be a short night for him with the pitch count climbing.
Just another draft choice that gets your hopes up but will leave you disappointed in the long run, I suspect. Hope I’m wrong.

Every scout, bird dog, and minor league coach associated with Klentak needs to be fired as soon as possible.

Regarding Roman Quinn, I’ve never seen a baseball player with more injuries than this player. It would have been interesting to see him without all these injuries but I think the time has come to let him go after this one. The entire organization needs a major housecleaning - scouting, coaching, get rid of these bum analytics people. I understand that baseball has changed but... for the better? No, the game sucks. Let’s draft players with real bat speed, contact hitters, guys who can hit to all fields.

Ahhh, I’m just old and worn out. I moved into the “get off my lawn” phase of life, I’ll just have to get used to seeing 12 strikeouts a game by the Phillies. 🤨

The team is currently devoid of hitting. Maybe with Realmuto and Harper back in the lineup they can muster a few runs but it seems like even when they get a good pitching outing it goes to waste. It’s hard to win a lot of games when you’re not scoring and when your relievers are inconsistent, to say nothing of the defensive issues. They are not fun to watch at the moment and if they keep this up the season will slip away before July .

Regarding Roman Quinn, I’ve never seen a baseball player with more injuries than this player. It would have been interesting to see him without all these injuries but I think the time has come to let him go after this one. The entire organization needs a major housecleaning - scouting, coaching, get rid of these bum analytics people. I understand that baseball has changed but... for the better? No, the game sucks. Let’s draft players with real bat speed, contact hitters, guys who can hit to all fields.

Ahhh, I’m just old and worn out. I moved into the “get off my lawn” phase of life, I’ll just have to get used to seeing 12 strikeouts a game by the Phillies. 🤨
The game is neither entertaining not fun to watch.. Get the running game back in the sport, small ball to move the base runners. You get paid to win the game. It use to be 300 hitters were alstars, now it's 250 hitters.

2 men on base and replace a man batting 313, with a man batting .098. How did that work.out for you? Swing and a miss.

The game is neither entertaining not fun to watch.. Get the running game back in the sport, small ball to move the base runners. You get paid to win the game. It use to be 300 hitters were alstars, now it's 250 hitters.
Out of 30 MLB teams, Phillies are currently 20th in runs scored and 3rd most Strike Outs.

The Phillies' atrocious defense combined with anemic hitting is a disastrous combination. Look at the pop fly Bohm butchered the other day, which led to a force followed by a two run bomb. The team strikes out at a hellacious rate, which I know the SABR stat heads say doesn't matter, except when it does. The Phillies have nobody hitting bombs to make up for it. But this idea that stikeouts are fine has been drilled into their heads since they were little kids.

Kruk mentioned this yesterday, paraphrasing (and of course, he's right) that you get 27 outs. If 12 of them are whiffs you are down to 15 chances to put the ball in play and get something going, which they're obviously not doing. The failure to make contact and put the ball in play combined with the hideous defense and spotty (at best) pitching is a hole this particular group is not going to climb from. The talent isn't there.

Start over and don't wait till the off season. This is one of the highest payrolls in baseball??

Weds. 6/2 game at Cincinnati postponed because of rain. Off-day Thursday and resume play Friday 6/4 at home vs Washington.

Well that was fun. Phils down 2-1, 9th inning Hoskins leads off with a double. Joe runs Jankowski for Rhys with JT up. Gets back-picked off 2nd by the catcher who runs all the way out to short to tag him without a throw. JT strikes out, Miller pops up. Game over. 2-1 loss, five hits.

Why keep Wheeler and Nola? They are no asset to this team at this point. Trade these guys for some bats and guys with some sense.

Last edited:
Well that was fun. Phils down 2-1, 9th inning Hoskins leads off with a double. Joe runs Jankowski for Rhys with JT up. Gets back-picked off 2nd by the catcher who runs all the way out to short to tag him without a throw. JT strikes out, Miller pops up. Game over. 2-1 loss, five hits.
Ugh. And 1 run scored after 17 in the previous game.

Reactions: WaylonJ

Why keep Wheeler and Nola? They are no asset to this team at this point. Trade these guys for some bats and guys with some sense.
Maybe, but then you're looking at 100 loss seasons for a while. The farm system has nothing. This is a 5 year rebuild.

Ugh. And 1 run scored after 17 in the previous game.
Scherzer is not some magical god anymore. This team is simply a bunch of talentless hacks. Not only is the offensive production a horror movie, they are dumb baseball players. The bullpen is seven flavors of crap. The defense is terrible but we also have big ticket players sitting for a month at a time. Soreness, jock itch, whatever. But we have Joe. He has a ring. You or I could have won a ring with that team. He runs the staff like a physics lab and it's not all that hard. Leave the guys in who are doing their job.

Maybe, but then you're looking at 100 loss seasons for a while. The farm system has nothing. This is a 5 year rebuild.
It would be worth it if there was some light at the end. I have no faith in this FO. They must do most of their scouting in Bosnia and Iraq.

Do you ever wonder how the Braves and the Marlins get these young kids who kick ass? Why do the Phillies glom on to aging vets who are done?

IMO, if Hoskins was running hard, he would have had an easy triple. That would have changed the whole complexion of the inning where an easy sacrifice fly ties the game.

Reactions: WaylonJ and Nitwit
IMO, if Hoskins was running hard, he would have had an easy triple. That would have changed the whole complexion of the inning where an easy sacrifice fly ties the game.
That’s right. He thought he had a homer and never took off. With that bounce off the wall he could have had a standup triple. Lack of hustle and brain dead base running put them away in the 9th. This team is pathetic and spiraling downward fast. They are embarrassing themselves.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT