ADVERTISEMENT

2021 Phillies Thread

IMO, if Hoskins was running hard, he would have had an easy triple. That would have changed the whole complexion of the inning where an easy sacrifice fly ties the game.
I agree completely, he was pulling up before the OF even had the ball but you don't want to get thrown out at 3rd. Probably a slide but relatively easy triple. Abundance of caution and all that. See how that worked out. Wish I could give you a double like because I thought the same thing when I saw him loafing into 2B before the guy even tracked the ball down. There again it's the unwritten rule, you don't make the first or third out at 3b. Still you had JT up with a full count and nobody out and a man on 2B....not a terrible situation. Jankowski shit himself.

Last edited:
Maybe, but then you're looking at 100 loss seasons for a while. The farm system has nothing. This is a 5 year rebuild.
It’s ownership. Middleton continues to bring in “win now” types like Dombrowski. It’s not Dave’s or Joe’s fault that the roster is over priced garbage with many years to go on contracts. But the results are the same. 80-82 wins with no consistent offense and a crap bullpen.

It’s ownership. Middleton continues to bring in “win now” types like Dombrowski. It’s not Dave’s or Joe’s fault that the roster is over priced garbage with many years to go on contracts. But the results are the same. 80-82 wins with no consistent offense and a crap bullpen.
I reiterate...why do the other division rivals gather these guys who are deadly while the Phillies reel in nobodies like Quinn, Kingery, Bohm, and a litany of others I can name off the top going back years. We have two stud pitchers who are useless. We have at least four guys on this roster who have no business on a MLB roster. Obviously Joyce. I would put Knapp in there although nobody else can catch.

One man's opinion, ok...the Phillies as an org are so far up their own ass it's a lock they're going to fail. JMO. Of all the guys who came in and out of Phila the only one that didn't land a lifetime job was Sandberg. Charlie is VP of something, even Bowa and Schmitty have jobs. Pete Mackanin has a job. I love Bowa and Schmitty and Charlie. It's a club, and it's a shit club. It's a lot like Penn State.

One last thing...Philly in some weird way loves losing. It's like a badge. They'd rather be Rocky and lose than be Appollo.

Last edited:
Reactions: PACOLT
I just watched the Jankowski gaffe. How do you get tagged out in a rundown between second and third by the freakin' catcher without even making him throw the ball?? Once he realized he screwed up Jankowski should have picked a base and sprinted toward it. At least make the catcher throw the ball. You never know what can happen. But to just dance around and let a guy come from over 100 feet away and tag you is idiotic. As Girardi said, mistakes are amplified in close games. The Phils have mastered the art of making mistakes, both little and big.

I just watched the Jankowski gaffe. How do you get tagged out in a rundown between second and third by the freakin' catcher without even making him throw the ball?? Once he realized he screwed up Jankowski should have picked a base and sprinted toward it. At least make the catcher throw the ball. You never know what can happen. But to just dance around and let a guy come from over 100 feet away and tag you is idiotic. As Girardi said, mistakes are amplified in close games. The Phils have mastered the art of making mistakes, both little and big.
They've all grown up in an era where nothing matters except launch angle and spin rate. Baserunning, knowing the rules, and baseball sense are all ignored and you are seeing the residue. Grease fire.

Plus the dude looks like the lead singer from Winger.

Last edited:
I reiterate...why do the other division rivals gather these guys who are deadly while the Phillies reel in nobodies like Quinn, Kingery, Bohm, and a litany of others I can name off the top going back years. We have two stud pitchers who are useless. We have at least four guys on this roster who have no business on a MLB roster. Obviously Joyce. I would put Knapp in there although nobody else can catch.

One man's opinion, ok...the Phillies as an org are so far up their own ass it's a lock they're going to fail. JMO. Of all the guys who came in and out of Phila the only one that didn't land a lifetime job was Sandberg. Charlie is VP of something, even Bowa and Schmitty have jobs. Pete Mackanin has a job. I love Bowa and Schmitty and Charlie. It's a club, and it's a shit club. It's a lot like Penn State.

One last thing...Philly in some weird way loves losing. It's like a badge. They'd rather be Rocky and lose than be Appollo.
Not to repeat myself, but I shall: you had Reuben Amaro Jr (Stanford) as GM followed by Klentak (Dartmouth) as GM. Do NOT, ever, allow your baseball organization to be run by these high IQ, but baseball idiots. They hire all these bumf#*k analytics from the Ivy League and you get an organization who can’t hit, field, or pitch. Every analytic, scout, bird dog and minor league coach needs to be fired and they need to find some baseball lifers who know the game as it *was*, not this analytics BS.

My apologies to the Ivy Leaguers here but I’d nuke them from orbit. The world would be a better place.

Play the darn game and don't overthink with the analytics. And yes, Girardi, a Northwestern grad uses analytics too. When a guy you just called up makes a stupid play like that sit him on the bench. He's not a freaking 20 year old kid just learning the game.

Braves score 2 in the 10th without a hit. Three walks and 2 passed balls on Marchan sums up this team. If JT is going to pinch hit, keep him in the game. You're paying him enough and the Phils are off tomorrow.

On the road today, had it on radio. Franzke's call was beautiful. Probably a clip of it around somewhere. Two inspiring wins. Maybe it will turn things positive.

Neris didn't even make them earn it (2 walks).

Ironic that there so much talk about the psyche of a closer, that if they lost their role their effectiveness may suffer...but isn't effectiveness the underlying reason why they would lose a closer role to begin with?

Post-game Edit: At least Bradley gets credit for the win this time as opposed to the pitcher who gave up the lead. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: royboy and WaylonJ
Neris with a sparkling 69% save conversion rate.

No changes per Girardi.
Hector still the closer. SMGDH.
Why not Ranger right now? I mean he's pitching to a microscopic ERA in the 7th and 8th. But the 9th belongs to Nervous Neris? Hector gets very worked up under pressure. Let Hector try the setup role. This stuff of him coming in and walking two guys, hit a guy, walk a guy...nothing new.

Reactions: psuno1
Neris is the anti-closer. When a guy like Eck, Rivera, or Hoffman took the mound it was game over. When Neris takes the bump, regardless of the lead, it feels like game on. Phils need to give someone else a shot because Hector ain’t it.

Don't worry. Things are bright down on the farm.

Kingery - .194
Maton - .133
Moniak - .211
Haseley - .233

Kingery is a mystery. He never seemed to recover from his COVID-19 bout.

Neris is the anti-closer. When a guy like Eck, Rivera, or Hoffman took the mound it was game over. When Neris takes the bump, regardless of the lead, it feels like game on. Phils need to give someone else a shot because Hector ain’t it.
As nerve-racking as it is to watch Neris, it's worse with Alvarado.
Bringing it at 98-100 mph but very little control

21.2 innings, 22 walks --- ugh.

ADVERTISEMENT