ADVERTISEMENT

2020 Phillies Thread

And just in--a coach and a home clubhouse staffer have tested positive for the Phillies. CBP activities shut down.

Link

As the season was approaching I was ready, then the virus, I lost interest. Once they got ready to play I was "revved", bought the package, watched every inning of the first three games. Disappointed in the team's performance but it was if I set my schedule to watch the rest of the games. Now, I don't care, they made a mistake, and whether due to ignorant players they should cancel the season. Owners are groping for a few TV dollars.

Phillies vs Bluejays series postponed this weekend

Just when I thought I could watch real sports again. The Bluejays are staying in Washington for now and the Phillies may travel to NY to play the Yankees next. No players were infected but two clubhouse personnel were.

in other news the Union play tonight and the 76ers are scheduled to open this weekend from Orlando.

Also I believe Rutgers has shut down workouts after a number of players were diagnosed after attending some kind of social gathering. Sports is really a mess right now.

The Bluejays were tweeting the series was postponed around 1:30-2:00. I am not sure why the phillies website has been slow to post these postponements. If the Phillies have no additional or very limited positives through Sunday, the Phils playing the 2 games in NY makes sense. They are supposed to play Miami starting Tuesday though. They could move the 2 game Mets/Nationals series starting Tuesday to Wed and Thursday and have Marlins play 2 games against Nats on Mon and Tues. They can then have Phils and Marlins play a doubleheader to get the 3 game series in.

I’m so glad I let my annual MLB Audio stream renew back in Feb! Thus far I’ve listened to 2 of the 3 Phillies games this season, both of the losses. ;)

With baseball's season teetering, there is a lot riding on the NBA. If the NBA can pull off a season, it gives hope for CFB.

NBA and CFB should not be compared. NBA is in a bubble with limited interaction and no travel. CFB will be 19/20 Year olds living in dorms and apartments traveling to multiple states.

NHL and NBA are good comparisons and MLB and CFB are somewhat. However, CFB has much more close interaction between players

NBA and CFB should not be compared. NBA is in a bubble with limited interaction and no travel. CFB will be 19/20 Year olds living in dorms and apartments traveling to multiple states.

NHL and NBA are good comparisons and MLB and CFB are somewhat. However, CFB has much more close interaction between players

My point was that if the NBA can't pull it off even with the bubble then you can forget CFB.

Brookover suggests Phillies should just end season now.

Link

This is given that it will be almost impossible to make up a week of games, without major concern for the pitching staffs. He may well be right.

Reactions: Nitwit
Brookover suggests Phillies should just end season now.

Link

This is given that it will be almost impossible to make up a week of games, without major concern for the pitching staffs. He may well be right.

what a stupid article. since the Phils are at a disadvantage, cancel the season? how does that make any sense at all. What they should do is allow the Phils to expand their roster for some amount of time in the pitching staff to make up for it. Or come up with another creative solution. Brookover appears to be as intelligent as a maybe 10 year old who takes their toys and goes home.

Reactions: lj4heisman1
what a stupid article. since the Phils are at a disadvantage, cancel the season? how does that make any sense at all. What they should do is allow the Phils to expand their roster for some amount of time in the pitching staff to make up for it. Or come up with another creative solution. Brookover appears to be as intelligent as a maybe 10 year old who takes their toys and goes home.
Brookovers is pretty much an idiot about everything I totally agree with your post

1-2 Phils at 7-1 Yanks. Very tough spot for a team who hasn't played in 8 days facing the hottest team in the league who is throwing the best pitcher in baseball. No surprise it's 3-1 Yanks after 3.

Break up the Phils! 11-3 over the Yanks in the 6th. Maybe the bullpen can hang on.

Thank goodness for 7 inning games. Judge hits a bomb to make it 11-7. If this was going 9, who knows? This bullpen is garbage.

Ford just misses hitting a 3-run bomb and then gets called out on a 3-2 pitch that was inside. Nice break for the home team, even though they were the visitors in Game 1, can't make this stuff up.

Nola pitches great, could have gone into the 7th, but here comes Tommy Hunter who gives up 3 hits a run and now plunks Sanchez on the elbow. Bullpen implosion. Bases loaded now no outs.

Tommy Hunter come on, this is best guy the phillies can get with Middleton's money.

....and tonight's bullpen meltdown has commenced. Was 5-2 a second ago, now 5-4 in the 7th on a Sanchez HR. Unfortunately they have to play 9 tonight.

Hector on for the 4 out save. Struck out Judge to end the 8th, 5-4 still. Some wondered why Girardi did not pitch Neris last night in the 7th of a tie game. Hunter instead was terrible.

Some wondered why Girardi did not pitch Neris last night in the 7th of a tie game.

They discussed that on the radio broadcast during the 2nd game of the doubleheader, before and after Hunter had his meltdown. Girardi has a firm policy of not pitching relievers in two games on the same day. Neris only pitched to one batter in the first game of the doubleheader, so he didn't exactly throw a lot of pitches, but Girardi doesn't seem to deviate from his policy. FWIW, LA disagrees with the policy. He said that many times in his career (i forget if he was speaking just of his pro career, or combing his amateur and pro career) he had thrown in multiple games in the same day. He feels that it's not very hard for most relievers.

Reactions: Relayer
The game is supposed to be on TBS but is blacked out in NEPA. Can somebody please explain to me why games are blacked out this season when fans aren't allowed? It's total BS!! (Even though I stream from my phone to TV if needed)

Reactions: TheGLOV
The game is supposed to be on TBS but is blacked out in NEPA. Can somebody please explain to me why games are blacked out this season when fans aren't allowed? It's total BS!! (Even though I stream from my phone to TV if needed)

It is simply the policy of the network not to broadcast a game in which, two teams that nobody in America wants to see on TV play, play on their TV.

Simple really.

:)

To protect local broadcasts.

I could not see the NBC sportschannel Jackets broadcast the other day on that channel for that reason. And only one of the FS Ohio channels had it (the other had the Reds). In Columbus, I get both. There's a few spots in NE Ohio that can't get those channels but are blacked out for both Jackets and Pens broadcasts anyway, due to the radius thingy.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheGLOV
Braves bats woke up today. Acuna with 3 round trippers.
Hope we can say the same about the Phillies bats sometime soon.

Ten games in (which is obviously a bigger chunk of a short season), and check the batting averages:

Kingery .097
McCutcheon .133
Hoskins .172
Segura .172

Realmuto is one bright spot with 4 HR, 9 RBI, and .290 average, with Haseley and Gregorius also doing well, but need much more to play winning baseball.

Reactions: Delco Lion
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT