ADVERTISEMENT

Film Study - Quinton Martin Jr's Opening Act

BLUE-WHITE FILM STUDY (Martin)

See link. One of these years we'll quit painting ourselves into a corner and not commit to doing a Spring Game Film Study...unfortunately this year was not that year lol. Apologies in advance for the short video. Had no clue what else to do. We'll be back in July.
Real nice production. Just the right tone and take for a spring scrimmage. Thanks for the good work, again.

Last edited:
Reactions: NedFromYork
It's spring but keep in mind this is PSU athletes on D -- so he's showing good speed. Really good cutback technique, he's had good coaches in HS working with him. Now it comes down to staying healthy, learning to read defenses/disguised blitzes, not fumbling.. there is so much for these guys to learn if they're going to play early.

Reactions: Rip_E_2_Joe_PA
Martin will be another 5-10 lbs stronger by August, and likely faster as well. Any time either Singleton or Allen get dinged he should get more touches, and with his receiving skills the staff can get him the ball on jet sweeps and screens as well. But his PSU future is as an every down RB or paired with another talented RB the way Singleton and Allen work together.

Last edited:
Martin will be another 5-10 lbs stronger by August, and likely faster as well. Any time either Singleton or Allen get dinged he should get more touches, and with his receiving skills the staff can get him the ball on jet sweeps as well. But his PSU future is as an every down RB or paired with another talented RB the way Singleton and Allen work together.
I actually thought, in real time, the blocking schemes had changed as the downfield blocking lanes seemed better. But with this video, it was clear that Martin was just picking his holes and setting up his blockers better. I'll go out on a limb here and say Martin is going to be the best RB we've had since Sanders.

Reactions: WeR0206 and tboyer
I actually thought, in real time, the blocking schemes had changed as the downfield blocking lanes seemed better. But with this video, it was clear that Martin was just picking his holes and setting up his blockers better. I'll go out on a limb here and say Martin is going to be the best RB we've had since Sanders.

I loved how he came down low and THEN cut back, marooning the linebackers. He doesn't seem to have great speed but he runs a corner really smooth, like a wideout, and he can outrun linebackers that way. Really great understanding of how space works -- that's hard to teach.

Anyway I agree there is potentially a really special player there. Will depend largely on whether he can stay healthy once he starts taking the pounding.

I'll say it, he already is a more polished RB than singleton. Sure, singleton might have better speed and power at this point, but this kid actually knows how to set up blocks and get LB's committed before bouncing. Singleton just bounces(no doubt he would have run outside for a reasonable 6 yard pick up on the 1st play of the video) or singleton just stays inside and runs into a tackle. Hope this kid can keep pushing the envelope, I think we might need him if we can get to where we want. Kaytron is tough and has great visions, but lacks breakaway speed. Im sort of convinced Singleton is just a straight line runner, we'll get him involved in sweeps and catching out of the backfield, but he'll never pick through the interior of a defense.

Reactions: GregInPitt
I'll say it, he already is a more polished RB than singleton. Sure, singleton might have better speed and power at this point, but this kid actually knows how to set up blocks and get LB's committed before bouncing. Singleton just bounces(no doubt he would have run outside for a reasonable 6 yard pick up on the 1st play of the video) or singleton just stays inside and runs into a tackle. Hope this kid can keep pushing the envelope, I think we might need him if we can get to where we want. Kaytron is tough and has great visions, but lacks breakaway speed. Im sort of convinced Singleton is just a straight line runner, we'll get him involved in sweeps and catching out of the backfield, but he'll never pick through the interior of a defense.
I am super excited about Martin as well, but let’s not get ahead of ourselves. This was a scrimmage game, and we have evidence via Singleton’s freshman season that he is indeed a great runner. The entire offense under MY was just off last year. I think it’s safe to say that we’re so loaded at running back that the running game will be the nucleus of the offense this season.

Not sure where the "not fast" is coming from. Kid looks like greased lightning out there. Cuts on a dime and has field vision that cannot be coached. Looked like the best back on the roster out there.

Not sure where the "not fast" is coming from. Kid looks like greased lightning out there. Cuts on a dime and has field vision that cannot be coached. Looked like the best back on the roster out there.
He is fast. Lambert commented on the radio broadcast that Martin is a long strider but fast. They watched him break free and run away from players in Spring practice.

Makes Saquon look like chopped liver already too I suppose huh?

Nope, but a more instinctive runner than Singleton already, you'll waste your time arguing how I'm wrong.
Well, lets be real. He played a very vanilla offense against the second team, vanilla defense and had six carries for 34 yards. the defenses in these games are designed to make it easy to evaluate individual performances instead of game situations. In a real game, all kinds of statistical tendencies are evaluated and the defense is designed to take away skills. So these are just pretend games.

Having said that, in the limited view we had, but it looks promising.

Well, lets be real. He played a very vanilla offense against the second team, vanilla defense and had six carries for 34 yards. the defenses in these games are designed to make it easy to evaluate individual performances instead of game situations. In a real game, all kinds of statistical tendencies are evaluated and the defense is designed to take away skills. So these are just pretend games.

Having said that, in the limited view we had, but it looks promising.
Fair, but in the few carries he had, against a lackluster defensive plan, he understands how to set up blockers, how the get LBs to commit to angels, and when to bounce to the outside. These are all traits I can honestly say I've never seem from Singleton. Singletons best runs are well blocked, clear holes, and he uses his awesome speed to outrun the defense.

Fair, but in the few carries he had, against a lackluster defensive plan, he understands how to set up blockers, how the get LBs to commit to angels, and when to bounce to the outside. These are all traits I can honestly say I've never seem from Singleton. Singletons best runs are well blocked, clear holes, and he uses his awesome speed to outrun the defense.
I agree. But anyone suggesting he is good or bad is just pretending.

Reactions: ram2020
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT