ADVERTISEMENT

2019 Recruiting Class Thread

DVNnIddWAAEkwIf.jpg

https://247sports.com/college/penn-...r-season-talks-football-recruiting-122928623/

NDIANAPOLIS, Ind. - Warren Central’s athletic director Marques Clayton asked about a fifth-star.

Following a 41-17 win over Carmel, Warriors head coach Jayson West said twice that his guy is the No. 1 receiver in the country.

The player they're politicking for is David Bell, a current Top100 recruit inside the 247Sports Top247 Player Rankings, who continues to make a strong case that he needs to rise even more.

Still gathering data, Bell took his first official to Penn State this past weekend for the Ohio State game. He’s been to the Nittany Lions campus three times in the last year.

“They’re up at the top of the list,” Bell said. “I love Coach (James) Franklin and also Coach (David) Corley. After the game they said they really needed me out there just to make plays since I’ve proved time and again I’m a clutch player. Talking to them they said I could come in and make a huge impact as a freshman.”

Ohio State fan from Bucknuts board on Zach Harrison.

sryan2
  • He loves Larry Johnson but not a fan of Meyer (putting it mildly)... That is the issue. Bought into some of the snake oil other programs are selling regarding him. Best guess is Johnson carries the day, but watch out for PSU and Franklin.

Love the snake oil stuff. Franklin has a Master's Degree in psychology. If he wasn't a football coach he would probably be a professor. Listen to his press conferences. Look at how the Penn State program is one of the most organized and disciplined in all of college football. Look at the team GPA which has set program records multiple times during JF's tenure.

sryan2
  • He loves Larry Johnson but not a fan of Meyer (putting it mildly)... That is the issue. Bought into some of the snake oil other programs are selling regarding him. Best guess is Johnson carries the day, but watch out for PSU and Franklin.

Love the snake oil stuff. Franklin has a Master's Degree in psychology. If he wasn't a football coach he would probably be a professor. Listen to his press conferences. Look at how the Penn State program is one of the most organized and disciplined in all of college football. Look at the team GPA which has set program records multiple times during JF's tenure.

I don't get the snake oil stuff with Franklin(if that's what he was referring to). Two years in row we have lost by 1 point to OSU. And the year before that we won. 2015 was not that close, but 2014 went to overtime. While obviously OSU has a more talented roster, we sure as hell can compete with them year in and year out. They must be worried we are closing the gap on them and have to resort to calling Franklin that.

sryan2

If Harrison thinks he's going to be coached by LJ Sr., he may want to request some labwork, blood pressures, a cardiac stress test, and a full physical. That guy looks kinda unhealthy.

Reading that is a waste of 2 minutes of my life I’ll never get back. He doesn’t take a stand on most recruits because he doesn’t have a clue. In speaking about Cine, failed to even mention he’s making his commitment on Oct 10.

agree useless and not even up to date:(
On the positive side, it’s the fewest misspelled words and grammatical errors he’s had in an article.

I don't get the snake oil stuff with Franklin(if that's what he was referring to). Two years in row we have lost by 1 point to OSU. And the year before that we won. 2015 was not that close, but 2014 went to overtime. While obviously OSU has a more talented roster, we sure as hell can compete with them year in and year out. They must be worried we are closing the gap on them and have to resort to calling Franklin that.
In my opinion, the snake oil could be a derogatory spin on Franklin telling recruits that they can come to Penn State and help build an elite program and win national championships. One mans dream is another mans snake oil.

Some strange Buckeye recruiting developments- their 4 star RB Sampson James flipped to Indiana, and it doesn't seem like he was pushed out the door. Also getting a bunch of crystal balls on Cavon Butler who is a 3 star DT and the #40 player in Ohio. I wonder where Rodas Johnson fits on their (and our) priority board

Edit- I was just thinking out loud. Please don't derail the thread with another 'Meyer is the devil' tangent

Last edited:
Reactions: TheGLOV
DVNnIdhXkAAzlPQ.jpg

https://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio...nt-date-peyton-powell-to-visit-texas#comments

RINGING THE BELL
2019 Warren Central (Indianapolis, Ind.) wide receiver David Bell has awhile before making his college decision. He's already said he'll be choosing his future school on Jan. 5, 2019 at the All-American Bowl in San Antonio, Texas.

Bell, a 6-foot-2, 185-pound, four-star prospect, still has the Buckeyes near the top of his list, alongside Purdue and Penn State. Bell visited Penn State on Sept. 29 – yes, the whiteout game – and has scheduled visits to Purdue on Nov. 3, Ohio State on Nov. 24 – yes, the Michigan game – Indiana on Dec. 7 and Iowa on Dec. 15.

Needless to say, his recruiting process is still an ongoing one.

But he's done nothing to hurt his chances with any program this season – especially in last week's 41-17 win over Mount Carmel. Bell caught nine passes – including five consecutive catches to start the game – for 134 yards and three touchdowns.

From the Indianapolis Star:

There was no plan to throw David Bell the ball on the first five plays of the game. Not that it is ever a bad idea. Warren Central quarterback Jayden George figured he would keep going to the four-star senior receiver in Friday’s showdown until Carmel covered him with at least two defenders.

“They just gave it to us,” George said. “They didn’t respect him that much, so we just took what we could get.”

Five times, five catches for No. 4 to start the game. The fifth, a 12-yard touchdown pass, was wiped out by a holding call. Three plays later, on fourth-and-28, Carmel covered Bell with three defenders. George still went to him — and was rewarded with a 30-yard touchdown pass.

On the year, Bell now has 56 receptions for 1,128 yards – an average of 20.1 YPC – and 17 touchdowns. I'd throw him the ball, too.

Hopefully announced after the bowl season and Zach Harrison is enrolled at PSU. From the suckeye poster in this thread, Zach and suburban aren't very tight.

OL

In some situations, you want to be tight with an asshole, but I guess not in recruiting.

:eek:

Eleven Warriors forum

Bd2999 8 OCT 2018, 5:43 PM

Not usually too negative on this sort of thing but just seems consistent anymore, or at least my bias, that PSU seems to be beating OSU for more and more recruits when the two are going head to head. Not sure what Franklin is selling over there.

Iowabuckeyes 14 HOURS AGO

He's selling excitement. For the third time in three years, PSU went all out with their whiteout (2016 and 2018 with Ohio State, last year with Michigan) and had hundreds of kids come to visit, not just seniors but juniors and sophomores on their own dime. It's got to be an incredible experience, truly goosebump-inducing, and easy and understandable for an impressionable teenager to get caught up in all the excitement.

Interesting opinion by Pennlive when discussing the upcoming visit of Trevor Keegan. If in deed CJF wants 2 more OL recruits in this class, it likely also means that the class is heading to close to 25 players given the obvious needs at DL and the continued recruiting at DB, RB and WR.

"Head coach James Franklin would probably like to add two more big men in this cycle, which is why they've stayed in pursuit for so long, and it's also why this visit is so big, as there aren't many tackles on the board that the Lions are in play for."

Last edited:
Reactions: NedFromYork
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT