ADVERTISEMENT

2019 Recruiting Class Thread

No idea what Williams has to do with Cine.
Williams himself? Nothing.

But once a kid who’s had that much time and familiarity with the program decides another place is for him, it’s over for that program. Sometimes it’s just not the right fit.

Wasn’t as much focused on Williams as you asking “ya think?” to a poster saying he’s gone. He’s been gone for a while now. I guess you weren’t naive and just didn’t know.

Interesting opinion by Pennlive when discussing the upcoming visit of Trevor Keegan. If in deed CJF wants 2 more OL recruits in this class, it likely also means that the class is heading to close to 25 ....."

By my numbers, currently:

82 scholarships on the team;
10 scholarship players who are leaving for 2019;
Therefore
13 scholarships available for 2019 (85 limit and if everyone stays)
There are 17 current commits

So if it's a class of 25, you'd need 12 spots to free up

12 seems a little high right now, I'd say that they are looking at probably a class of 20 or 21 right now and then they'll take a look in January to see where they are at with certain players (draft, medical retirement, potential for transfer).

(Please correct me if I am wrong on any of my math/numbers, etc)

I love the numbers discussion. The difficulty is that we don't know what CJF knows with draft, transfer, and injuries. If it's 12, it would make me worried that we're losing some good ones within that bunch to transfer or retirement.

Draft possibilities?:
Shareef, Juwan, Sanders, Givens, Bates, Gonzalez

I won't mention transfer/retirement projections because I have 0 inside info. But, if you were to take a look at the roster fairly closely, you can probably guess a few who might decide to go either the Geno Lewis route or the Andre Robinson route.

Therefore

12 seems a little high right now, I'd say that they are looking at probably a class of 20 or 21 right now and then they'll take a look in January to see where they are at with certain players (draft, medical retirement, potential for transfer).

I love the numbers discussion. The difficulty is that we don't know what CJF knows with draft, transfer, and injuries. If it's 12, it would make me worried that we're losing some good ones within that bunch to transfer or retirement.

Draft possibilities?:

I won't mention transfer/retirement projections because I have 0 inside info. But, if you were to take a look at the roster fairly closely, you can probably guess a few who might decide to go either the Geno Lewis route or the Andre Robinson route.
I believe it's 80 on scholarship (I might be missing a walkon or two), but I don't think I missed any announcements after Vassey.

Which means 15 available right now for next year.

RS JRs: John Reid, Sterling Jenkins, Tommy Stevens, Jarvis Miller, Ryan Bates, Juwan Johnson, Stephen Gonzalez, Jonathan Holland, Ayron Monroe, Garrett Taylor, Robert Windsor, Shareef Miller, Nick Bowers, John Petrishen, Kevin Givens
JRs: Connor McGovern, Miles Sanders, Blake Gillikin, Cameron Brown
RS SO: Daniel Dalton, Alex Gellerstedt, Shane Simmons, Zechariah McPhearson, Michal Menet, Will Fries, Ellison Jordan, Daniel Joseph, Shaka Toney, Antonio Shelton, Dae'lun Darien

^^Make your own predictions from that list

Therefore

I see 81 on scholarship (including walkons that are on scholarship). And I count 11 leaving:

QB = McSorley
RB = Allen and Thomas
WR = Thompkins
OL = Shuman and Wright
LB = Cooper and Farmer
DB = Scott and Oruwariye
LS = Vasey

That means 15 available or 10 over to get to 25.

Therefore

Draft possibilities?:

I agree with you 100% that a projection based upon the roster does not favor a full class of 25. But the staff continues to recruit a significant number of players at different positions. With 17 commits it just does not seem rational to assume that there will only be 2 or 3 more players added to the class.....

I'll go with 6 more for 23 total (but it would not surprise me to see 24 or 25 when all is done in February).
3 - DL
1 - OT
1 - DB or RB
1 - WR

I see 81 on scholarship (including walkons that are on scholarship). And I count 11 leaving:
That means 15 available or 10 over to get to 25.

Thanks. I forgot to count Vasey. I'm still showing 82, but I'll take your word for it.

EDIT: P.S. I'm at 81 now. I counted Walk-On transfer CJ Holmes as a scholly.

I'll go with 6 more for 23 total (but it would not surprise me to see 24 or 25 when all is done in February).

^That sounds right, particularly (like you said) with the number of recruits PSU is going after at the moment.

Last edited:
Reactions: MJG-90 and TheGLOV
Honestly, there was something about this kid {attitude maybe} in reading all his press clippings that I just didn't like.

Never met him mind you but,...………..never took a shine to his demeanor.
I thought Cine was fine but to me the bigger issue is guys like Neon Deion inserting themselves in the recruiting process for a kid that was over 1000 miles away.

Reactions: TheGLOV
Well, when Ishaq Williams committed to ND, I remember being assured not to worry because Penn State wasn’t giving up its recruitment of Ishaq.

So... he gone!

What is your recollection of Jahan Dotson's recruiting. He gone....He back? That said,
I don't think PSU will continue to pursue Cine nor Cine reconsider his choice,
From his comments over the recruiting process, I think he is a better fit at UGA than PSU.. and PSU is in contention for players that will fit the program better....

Funny how all the sudden after a play commits elsewhere we never wanted him in the first place

Who said that? Funny how some people post reactions to what other people write without the aid of reading comprehension. A kids personality is often revealed through his actions in the recruiting process. He is, undoubtedly a physical talent. He publicly stated his preference for the the How he would be used and developed approach by UGA over family approach offered by PSU during his recruitment , I think he is better off at UGA rather than at PSU if his reasons are as he stated them. I take him at his word. I believe, like others here that there are talented players which PSU is recruiting that are a better psychological fit at PSU. I wish him the best at UGA as, I am sure, others do here. Not sure what poster said we never wanted him.....unless I missed it.

Funny how all the sudden after a play commits elsewhere we never wanted him in the first place
Look at his photos on his visits, you know what they say a picture is worth a thousand words, but when you see the said pictures it's best to say nothing because he is a potential recruit.
My view is either continue pursuing him, or next man up. Remember Trace was a 3 ***, and i can live with recruits like him anyday.

What is your recollection of Jahan Dotson's recruiting. He gone....He back? That said,
I don't think PSU will continue to pursue Cine nor Cine reconsider his choice,
From his comments over the recruiting process, I think he is a better fit at UGA than PSU.. and PSU is in contention for players that will fit the program better....
Enough guys.

Look at his photos on his visits, you know what they say a picture is worth a thousand words, but when you see the said pictures it's best to say nothing because he is a potential recruit.
My view is either continue pursuing him, or next man up. Remember Trace was a 3 ***, and i can live with recruits like him anyday.

Trace is the exception not the norm. You don't win championships by recruiting 20 3* diamond in the rough type kids and hope they play like 4/5 *s.

I think Cine is a good talent and could have been successful at PSU. What I love about the current state of our recruiting, is that CJF is doing this part of his job at such a high level that that spot will more than likely go to another very talented 4 star type.

Reactions: BarkleyPSU1
Trace is the exception not the norm. You don't win championships by recruiting 20 3* diamond in the rough type kids and hope they play like 4/5 *s.
If it's okay with you, I hope Coach Franklin continues to choose guys whom he likes, whether they are 3-stars or 5-stars. No way is PSU so successful over the last 2+ seasons without Trace. CJF knows better than the recruiting gurus.

If it's okay with you, I hope Coach Franklin continues to choose guys whom he likes, whether they are 3-stars or 5-stars. No way is PSU so successful over the last 2+ seasons without Trace. CJF knows better than the recruiting gurus.

Well that sounds great and all, but the problem is Franklin did 'choose' Cine. Cine just didn't choose us.

Well that sounds great and all, but the problem is Franklin did 'choose' Cine. Cine just didn't choose us.
I'm not bothered by that. The staff puts out way more offers than are accepted, and the kids themselves often make the choice that best suits them.

My point is that the staff should not, and is not, excluding 3-star talent from their recruiting sweep.

Reactions: TheGLOV and ftlpsu
A new self ordained censor, just what this board needs.
I couldn’t agree more. It was a tangent that was going nowhere fast. I resisted the urge to respond substantively to several snarky responses, admittedly in response to my snarky post. But this is the recruiting thread and, while tangents are inevitable, we’re all well-served to cut them off eventually.

You were the genius who showed up late to the otherwise finished tangent and brought the least relevant of several poor examples used to refute my point, which wasn’t just about the wax and wane of an undecided kid’s recruitment (Parsons), or a flip who had to wait out the numbers game (Dotson).

It was about the near-zero % chance of still getting a priority recruit with a conmitable offer from start to finish, ample opportunity to get to know penn state and develop relationships, seemed a certain or near-certain commit, thought it through and chose Penn Sate wasn’t the place for him. Regrettably, it also included a dig at the naïveté of an expert who tried to reassure jilted recruitniks that “not to worry, PSU isn’t giving up on this kid.” It was an error. Just like my post that started the tangent. Just like your last two contributions to it.

So yeah, a little self-restraint by board participants and a willingness to call it quits on an issue that’s going nowhere isn’t a bad thing. Especially in the recruiting thread.

Reactions: artsandletters

If you want to have a civil discussion, drop the sarcastic "if it's okay with you" crap.

^^^^^ Yep the staff already took their best shot at Cine and missed. Kids like that don't flip back to their original favorite. It's the ones who are slowplayed that have the chance to flip. Givens immediately comes to mind as a successful example and thank heavens for him. Dunmore of this class is a definite flip threat because he got slow played by FSU. In the case of Dotson I'm pretty sure he got booted by Chip Kelly or he'd be gone too so that's another bad example.

To get back on topic ADISA ISAAC WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR PLEASE COME TO PENN STATE

Zach Harrison may or may not be visiting Michigan this weekend.

Some comments from a Michigan board...

andrewgr

October 10th, 2018 at 11:58 PM ^

Zach Harrison is very far from a lock for Ohio State. In fact, most of the OSU recruiting sites say it's a three way race between Ohio State, Penn State, and Michigan, with OSU holding an incredibly slim lead over PSU. Those 100% crystal balls are from long ago in the recruiting process, and the only reason there haven't been changes is because he doesn't give interviews and hasn't really given anyone anything to go on.

If I were a betting man, I'd say it's less than 50% that he winds up at OSU. And while Michigan might not be the leader, they are very much in the mix.

Caesar

October 11th, 2018 at 4:45 AM ^

I've heard a range of things, though most are honestly in favor of PSU and OSU. The most telling was that if PSU were closer, he would've already committed. I think that was Lorenz, but I'm not sure. His mum seems to have backed off the emphasis on OSU, however.

outsidethebox

October 11th, 2018 at 9:05 AM ^

There was a recent interview of Harrison where his discussion of OSU and Michigan are less than matter of fact-even down beat...but when asked about PSU his eyes and demeanor clearly lighted up. "Between the lines" it was quite notable that PSU was/is in a better place with him. To me, it seems as though the vitriol between Michigan and OSU is intolerable for him-PSU is the safer place for him.

Are the Ohio people crazy enough to mess with his family if he picks Michigan? Those people seem crazy about college football in a way I can't relate to even though I'm already extremely embarrassed by how important it is to me.

Reactions: ELDADDY
Are the Ohio people crazy enough to mess with his family if he picks Michigan? Those people seem crazy about college football in a way I can't relate to even though I'm already extremely embarrassed by how important it is to me.
When a recent Ohio St player had been arrested with a car full of weapons to PROTECT himself from Israeli mobsters, I knew to never again question how crazy Bucknut football is. http://www.espn.com/nfl/news/story?id=2553084

Reactions: TheGLOV and mcgunns
Eleven Warriors

Although it had nothing to do with the football program and he didn't speak or meet with coaches, Olentangy Orange (Lewis Center, Ohio) defensive end Zach Harrison was on Ohio State's campus Wednesday afternoon.

Tampatom 14 HOURS AGO
On surface visiting OSU not for football makes you think he might be seeing what is needed for early enrollment, not stopping by to say hi or touch base with coaches, especially Johnson, is weird, makes you think he was avoiding them...

ADVERTISEMENT