ADVERTISEMENT

2019 Recruiting Class Thread

That sucks. Must be the blue end zones.

Time to break out the checkerboard

Beaver-Stadium-1960.jpg

Has he ever visited PSU? Big time DT from Cincinnati.

Ohio State defensive line coach Larry Johnson stays in touch with Briggs frequently and he says that the Buckeyes are one of four programs — Penn State, Tennessee and Cincinnati are the others — contacting him most frequently.

“I’ve never been to Penn State. It’s not that far away, though, so I’m sure I can get over there,” Briggs said. “I don’t really know much about them yet because I usually go on a visit to collect information and go from there.”

https://www.landof10.com/ohio-state/ohio-state-football-buckeyes-football-recruiting-jowon-briggs

Reactions: TheGLOV
Has he ever visited PSU? Big time DT from Cincinnati.

If his interest in PSU is sincere, it would make sense for him to show up at the LB, coming up soon....

Those that attend the LB will make up a large percentage of the recruits that have current mutual interest, so it obviously will be interesting to see who actually attends.

Saleem Wormley talks recruitment, reordering the Lions' offensive line board
BY GREG PICKEL | gpickel@pennlive.com

https://www.pennlive.com/pennstatef...e_notes_saleem_wormle.html#incart_river_index

The impact of Truss' decision

2018-penn-state-recruits-at-blue-white-game-be348f0b2c3dff67.jpg

Penn State recruit Xavier Truss, now a Georgia commit, takes in the Blue-White game at Beaver Stadium on April 21, 2018.Joe Hermitt | jhermitt@pennlive.com

All 16 247Sports’ Crystal Ball predictions logged before last weekend predicted that Rhode Island offensive lineman Xavier Truss, a four-star in the recruiting Class of 2019, would pick Penn State. It’s not often that that recruiting industry’s standard for guessing where a recruit will go misses by so much, but it certainly did here.

Truss, who stands a massive 6-foot-7, 350 pounds, committed to Georgia over the weekend during what appears to have been his first visit to the Athens campus as a recruit. The Bulldogs did not seem to be in play, let alone the eventual winner for his verbal commitment, and yet recruitments end for all sorts of reasons, and it seems quite clear that Truss’ is now over because he fell in love with the SEC program from the moment he stepped on campus.

As for the Nittany Lions, they see a tackle target go off the board with the decision, one that they couldn’t have expected, either, considering all seemed to be positive coming out of Truss’ Blue-White visit, but it’s surely not the end of the world.

It is a good segue, however, take a look at the board, both inside and at tackle, now.

PSU 2019 Big Board: Interior OL

penn-state-vs-washington-in-the-fiesta-bowl-507b925428b7369c.jpg

Penn State offensive line coach Matt Limegrover talks to his players during the first quarter of the Fiesta Bowl at the University of Phoenix Stadium on Dec. 30, 2017. Joe Hermitt | jhermitt@pennlive.com

Penn State has already nabbed its top guard target in this cycle in Princeton, N.J., four-star commit Caedan Wallace, and that fact, plus a number of targets committing to other programs, leaves the Lions with seemingly just two likely additions at this point in time.

One is the aforementioned Wormley, who we’ll hear more from in a bit. The 6-foot-3, 320-pound guard has a top-three of Penn State, Notre Dame, and Rutgers with a decision set for July 23, and it does appear that his decision will come down to the Nittany Lions, which recently hosted him, and Notre Dame, which had him on campus this past weekend. One does have to wonder if space concerns are going to be a factor in South Bend, however, as the Fighting Irish already have four commitments in the offensive trenches thus far.

Outside of Wormley, Florida’s Will Putnam and Baltimore four-star Darrian Dalcourt remain on the offer board, but there has not been any indication that either is much considering the Lions at this point in time.

PSU 2019 Big Board: Tackle

whighanjpg-04e894f48de28859.jpg

Anthony Whigan during a Penn State visit. Photo courtesy Whigan via Twitter.

With Truss, quite literally the largest target on PSU’s radar before his pledge, off the board, what now?

The Lions did land in Illinois four-star Trevor Keegan’s list of top schools a short while back, but he looks destined to be heading somewhere in the mid-West and not State College. PSU will need to get the 6-foot-6, 310-pound recruit on campus to have any shot at him, but even one visit may not be enough to make a considerable dent in the lead other Big Ten programs seem to have.

Anthony Whigan, a 6-foot-5, 290-pound three-star tackle from Lackawanna College in Scranton, seems like the best shot at landing another tackle right now. PSU does not often go the junior college route, but it did take Paris Palmer from the school a few years back and has a commitment from the Falcons’ safety, Jaquan Brisker, already in this cycle.

Beyond Keegan Whigan, the other name to know is Jakai Moore, as the longtime target and multi-time visitor is listed at 6-foot-6, 295 pounds which means he could probably play inside or outside at the next level. Virginia Tech, Virginia, and South Carolina all join the Lions in the running for the Nokesville, Va., talent who recently announced a top-seven that also includes Clemson, Miami, and North Carolina. He has no decision date set, and he has not yet officially visited the Lions, either.

Checking in with Wormley

Wormley, the Smyrna, Del., three-star guard, raved about his recent Notre Dame trip to a number of outlets and wrote on Twitter that there is “something special going on” in South Bend.

PennLive was able to catch up with the senior before that trip, and he has just an official visit to Rutgers to go before announcing his decision.

“I grew up liking Penn State and I always liked the school,” Wormley said. “When I visited I loved the campus and the overall feeling I got from being there.”

The senior said his mother also had a very good time on the trip to State College Asked what stands out about the Lions, he added:

“Coach Franklin and the staff he has put together, including the recruiting class he is putting together this year.”

View image on Twitter

B I G L E E M@THEEBig77

#StrivingForGreatness
1f4af.png
23f1.png
1f98d.png
(@Recruit_Edits)

6:59 PM - Jun 10, 2018 · Clayton, DE

Wormley seemed to enjoy Notre Dame a lot, and it’s hard to see either program being passed by the Scarlet Knights at this juncture. PSU has certainly hosted him more than the Fighting Irish have, and it’ll have to hope that fact, along with the relationship built with him during those trips, will win out in the end.

Saw my first several PSU games from those end zone bleachers. Maybe 1967-68. Great memories.
My first was 66 vs Syracuse. I remember Csonka and I think Floyd Little had a punt return in that game. Sat there the next year when PSU upset North Carolina State.

Ohio State will sign Harrison. Penn State wants Ojabo badly. He has run 10.9-100 meters. David is an athletic freak.

OSU writer on Brandon Smith a couple of weeks ago...

Word is now that 5-star Brandon Smith will announce his college decision on May 21. The Crystal Ball currently favors Penn State. Smith has an offer from literally every great program in the country and if there were great programs outside the country they would have offered Smith, too.

Despite his rumored lean towards Happy Valley, make no mistake about it: The Buckeyes are willing to fight on this one.

“There will be a hard push on Smith,” a team source said. “You have to realize how high he is on the board. He is not second to [Zach] Harrison. They are more like 1a and 1b. Harrison is one of the all-time freak athletes but Smith is a stud himself and right now he’s the better football player. Losing him to Penn State would hurt. Badly. We would at least like to get him to postpone his announcement. That would buy us time.”

Bill Greene, the biggest homer of the homer Ohio State writers, keeps telling OSU fans that Penn State has a real shot.
As does everyone involved. Most acknowledge it will be a tough pull, but PSU has a punchers chance here...some say even better than that. I get the taking the field here over PSU...it's not hard to do, but only someone grossly misinformed would say PSU has no shot at all.

Last edited:
Penn State has virtually no chance to sign Harrison.
You don't communicate with the same person I do. Mr. Harrison is very impressed with Penn State and Penn State is definitely a player for him.
Will he be in Blue and White some day? You, this board and I don't know for certain. But saying Penn State has "virtually no chance" is your opinion only.

OL

Bill Greene, the biggest homer of the homer Ohio State writers, keeps telling OSU fans that Penn State has a real shot.

Greene seems to do that on occasion to make an Ohio State get seem like a battle won. At least, that’s what I’ve noticed over the years.

I don't really understand this...

Saying Zach Harrison will sign with OSU is an opinion at this point. It hasn't happened yet.

But saying Brandon Smith verbally committed to play at PSU is a fact because it has happened.

Well, until signing day, EVERYTHING on this Board (or any other) is - by definition - an opinion.

So... well, yes.

Onkotz and company with the late goal line stand.....PSU with the 13-8 win!

That same guy, Onkotz, who stuffed the goal line play as an inside linebacker, provided the winning score on a long interception return for a touchdown. He also showed that speed and elusive running ability by returning punts.

If younger fans could see a highlight reel of Onkotz plays from 1967-69, I don’t think there would be as much discussion of his place among the very best LBs of all time.

I am not grossly misinformed. I think you are living in a world of unreality. There are are some ignoramuses on the board. My posts have been very accurate. James Franklin is a masterful recruiter and I hope he signs with Penn State. Zach would be a major coup.

I have a friend who is a Penn State football recruiting writer. My friend told me Penn State has virtually no chance to sign Harrison. He will sign with Ohio State. The writer said that Harrison is a pipe dream.

Tyreke Smith was ignored by Ohio State for months. Smith's family loved Franklin and disliked Urban Meyer. Tyreke was a silent commit to Penn State, but he signed with Ohio State. Zach has been recruited by Ohio State for years. He is one of the top athletes in the country. It is highly unlikely Harrison will sign with Penn State. I am being realistic, not irrational.

I am not grossly misinformed. I think you are living in a world of unreality. There are are some ignoramuses on the board. My posts have been very accurate. James Franklin is a masterful recruiter and I hope he signs with Penn State. Zach would be a major coup.

I have a friend who is a Penn State football recruiting writer. My friend told me Penn State has virtually no chance to sign Harrison. He will sign with Ohio State. The writer said that Harrison is a pipe dream.

Tyreke Smith was ignored by Ohio State for months. Smith's family loved Franklin and disliked Urban Meyer. Tyreke was a silent commit to Penn State, but he signed with Ohio State. Zach has been recruited by Ohio State for years. He is one of the top athletes in the country. It is highly unlikely Harrison will sign with Penn State. I am being realistic, not irrational.

It is likely that Harrison signs with Ohio State, he's 15 minutes from their campus. But he's visited Penn State 4 to 5 times. He wouldn't keep coming back if he wasn't interested. He also keeps his recruiting process extremely private. No one knows who he favors. Your recruiting writer friend doesn't know who he favors.

lol

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT