ADVERTISEMENT

2019 Recruiting Class Thread

Yeah, I don't think Ojabo is going to happen. Metchie, Ojabo, Truss....some targets are changing....
Yea, Seider might have to prove himself in Florida year 1 here, with Hunter, Dunmore, and maybe Cain if we don't get Gray.

But it is looking very good for 2 blue chip RBs and possible 2 blue chip QBs.

Yea, Seider might have to prove himself in Florida year 1 here, with Hunter, Dunmore, and maybe Cain if we don't get Gray.

Gray and Cain both really, really loved their PSU visits. Gray has a Michigan visit this week and then doesn't have anything else lined up. Summer decision. Cain is coming to the Lasch Bash, think he has an LSU visit lined up as well. Playing with house money with those two 4 stars with PSU probably in Top 2 with a Rivals 5 star back already in the fold.

tenor.gif

If Alabama & Georgia are recruiting up here then Penn State has to go down there to counter, which they seem to be doing.

Reactions: TheGLOV
CJF and staff can recruit anywhere. Crystal Balls this early in the game and commitments (pledges to possibly sign between December 19, 2018 December 21, 2018 or later be
February 6, 2019 April 1, 2019 (is that before or after the Blue White Game) are like carvings of mercury. Brush the fog and dust off and consider the last 50 or so years of evidence.

Last edited:
We sign 90+% of our verbals every year, and every year people say verbals don't matter.

Dummies gonna dummy I guess

Speaking of Dummy posts.

What percentage of the guys we signed over the past 3 years were flips? Any significant ones come to your feeble mind? How many commits have we had by June over the past 4 years? Not a math, stat or computer science major I presume.

SUPERTODD is very perceptive. Many Penn State fans are obtuse. 2 PSU players have been drafted in the first round, Barkley and Odrick, since 2010. 13 Ohio State players have been drafted in the first round since 2010. Top players want to be first-round picks, Ohio State has a tremendous recruiting advantage.

SUPERTODD is very perceptive. Many Penn State fans are obtuse. 2 PSU players have been drafted in the first round, Barkley and Odrick, since 2010. 13 Ohio State players have been drafted in the first round since 2010. Top players want to be first-round picks, Ohio State has a tremendous recruiting advantage.

Yes... and nothing has changed at PSU since 2010, speaking of obtuse.

Just for clarity, do we want elite prospects to be verbally committed to us or verbally committed elsewhere? I'm confused.

If they verbally pledge they want to be a part of our program in the future - that's better than saying they don't or saying nothing at all, right?

Reactions: PSU87
Just for clarity, do we want elite prospects to be verbally committed to us or verbally committed elsewhere? I'm confused.

If they verbally pledge they want to be a part of our program in the future - that's better than saying they don't or saying nothing at all, right?

That's great. It encompasses a period of time with an elderly and sick Paterno, then the sanction era.

James Franklin is here now, so what went on in the prior era isn't really relevant any more. Franklin is recruiting at a similar level to Ohio State. Brandon Smith, Devyn Ford, Hakeem Beamon, Taquan Roberson, and Marquis Wilson, all verbals from our 2019 class, had Ohio State offers. So Ohio State's "tremendous recruiting advantage" didn't do much good with them, huh?

You suck as a Penn State fan, fyi.

To continue, in 2018 the following Penn State verbals had Ohio State offers:

Micah Parsons
PJ Mustipher
Zach Kuntz
Jesse Luketa
Pat Freiermuth
Rasheed Walker
Justin Shorter
Ricky Slade
Jason Oweh
Juice Scruggs
Jahan Dotson
Aeneas Hawkins

Again, you don't know what the f*** you're talking about.

To continue, in 2018 the following Penn State verbals had Ohio State offers:

Micah Parsons
PJ Mustipher
Zach Kuntz
Jesse Luketa
Pat Freiermuth
Rasheed Walker
Justin Shorter
Ricky Slade
Jason Oweh
Juice Scruggs
Jahan Dotson
Aeneas Hawkins

Again, you don't know what the f*** you're talking about.

Hey stop quoting me. I have the guy on ignore. :)

Speaking of Dummy posts.

What percentage of the guys we signed over the past 3 years were flips? Any significant ones come to your feeble mind? How many commits have we had by June over the past 4 years? Not a math, stat or computer science major I presume.

In order: I'd say 10%. Yes. Dunno, look it up yourself. Correct.

Question for you- What do all these non sequitrs have to do with my post?

That's great. It encompasses a period of time with an elderly and sick Paterno, then the sanction era.

James Franklin is here now, so what went on in the prior era isn't really relevant any more. Franklin is recruiting at a similar level to Ohio State. Brandon Smith, Devyn Ford, Hakeem Beamon, Taquan Roberson, and Marquis Wilson, all verbals from our 2019 class, had Ohio State offers. So Ohio State's "tremendous recruiting advantage" didn't do much good with them, huh?

You suck as a Penn State fan, fyi.
There’s no way dandy11 didn’t know all of what you’ve been saying. He DOES know what the f*** he ‘s talking about. That’s one definition of a troll.

Yes... and nothing has changed at PSU since 2010, speaking of obtuse.

Yep, today's recruits don't even remember football from 2010. I remember being at a golf tournament hosted by Dorsett. This was about 10 years ago. Someone asked him how he helps pitt recruiting. His response was that most recruits don't even know who he is......

We are on even terms with oh-high-ya for the 2019 class in the eyes of 16-17 year olds.....

Yep, today's recruits don't even remember football from 2010. I remember being at a golf tournament hosted by Dorsett. This was about 10 years ago. Someone asked him how he helps pitt recruiting. His response was that most recruits don't even know who he is......

We are on even terms with oh-high-ya for the 2019 class in the eyes of 16-17 year olds.....
I wish that were true given the difference in nattys, playoff appearances and first round draft picks in their lifetimes.

I like your optimism but if we’re on even terms with half of them, I’d be thrilled. Good news is CJF is def closing the gap.

And then Hunter proceeded to delete his commitment tweet, so who knows if he is really committed.

From everything that has been said about his recruitment the kid seems like quite the headcase.
His tape looks just like his recruitment. I adore him. A frenetic player with incredibly high energy expenditure. A very optimistic and trusting personality. I grew up just like him and work with kids like this. He would do incredibly well in a structured, stable, serious environment. Unfortunately this is not what will appeal to him and I doubt he has anyone in his ear pushing it. He should be seriously considering places like PSU, Alabama, Washington, etc. I fear what happens to him at a place like FSU.

His tape looks just like his recruitment. I adore him. A frenetic player with incredibly high energy expenditure. A very optimistic and trusting personality. I grew up just like him and work with kids like this. He would do incredibly well in a structured, stable, serious environment. Unfortunately this is not what will appeal to him and I doubt he has anyone in his ear pushing it. He should be seriously considering places like PSU, Alabama, Washington, etc. I fear what happens to him at a place like FSU.
Would you say Alabama is much different from FSU in this regard? I suppose the odds of being a first round pick are better based on the last few years, but not sure about the likelihood of being a real student-athlete

Would you say Alabama is much different from FSU in this regard? I suppose the odds of being a first round pick are better based on the last few years, but not sure about the likelihood of being a real student-athlete

Significantly different.

Interesting perspective. Do we see any in-state prospects getting offers as plan B options as we get deeper into the summer? Most of these kids probably don't even have contact with the staff anymore, but just a thought as potential late cycle offers. From a quick glance of the composite, here are some of the higher rated kids in-state:

TE: 3* Gallo (committed elsewhere) 3* Rucci (may have some baggage?) (committed elsewhere)
DE: 3* Speights (committed elsewhere)
RB: 3* Garwo
DB: 4* Porter (conditional offer right now?), 3* Smith, 3* Devonshire
WR: 3* Terry
OT: 3* Hubbard

Interesting perspective. Do we see any in-state prospects getting offers as plan B options as we get deeper into the summer? Most of these kids probably don't even have contact with the staff anymore, but just a thought as potential late cycle offers. From a quick glance of the composite, here are some of the higher rated kids in-state:

TE: 3* Gallo (committed elsewhere) 3* Rucci (may have some baggage?) (committed elsewhere)

IMO, we are so tight with numbers that I don't think you need to go very deep into your Plan B's and C's. This is a small class and we are the top choice or among the top choices for many Top 247 guys. Think we'll see another wave of verbals from late July until the start of the season.

IMO, we are so tight with numbers that I don't think you need to go very deep into your Plan B's and C's. This is a small class and we are the top choice or among the top choices for many Top 247 guys. Think we'll see another wave of verbals from late July until the start of the season.
Wormley + Dixon

Reactions: TheGLOV and ELDADDY

I think the Lions will need to go after another TE. Rucci is a no go, and Gallo's brother had a great career at VT. Doubt he can be lured away from his committment. Speights has a brother or half brother that will be joining him at OSU, so I dont think he will be an option. Garwo might be a solid option. Really dont know the others.

I wish that were true given the difference in nattys, playoff appearances and first round draft picks in their lifetimes.

I like your optimism but if we’re on even terms with half of them, I’d be thrilled. Good news is CJF is def closing the gap.

The "difference in nattys, playoff appearances and first round draft picks" during the years that PSU suffered sanctions and was recovering from them (building a roster) don't seem to be winning oh-high-ya recruiting battles against CJF recently. If you look at the head to head recruiting battles between oh-high-ya and PSU/CJF within the 2018 class you would see that there is no gap. We will see if this continues during the rest of the 2019 class, but the LB Smith was a TOP priority for oh-high-ya and he is committed to PSU. As was Ford. Beamon, Robertson, Rudolph and Wilson all had oh-high-ya offers.

When the recruiting is even head to head, and CJF is putting together top 10 recruiting classes as he did in 2018 and is doing in 2019 (average star rating and winning at around 50% of the head to head battles for individual recruits) the gap is closed as far as I am concerned.

Wishing didn't make it come true. But the work that CJF and his staff put into recruiting has....

Last edited:
Fitz also let slip they are really trying to get Adisa Isaac back on campus before the dead period. He is a pretty important DL recruit now.

Reactions: ELDADDY and TheGLOV
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT