ADVERTISEMENT

2019 Recruiting Class Thread

I want to know about Steven Faucheux!!

Anybody??

He's been at 90% for a while now but no recent news to speak of.

Steven Faucheux has been a good
athlete to keep “track” of this season.

New Discus Champ!​

Reactions: TheGLOV
I want to know about Steven Faucheux!!

Anybody??

He's been at 90% for a while now but no recent news to speak of.
I think he’s below at least Beamon and Harrison-Hunte (and Alfano) in the pecking order for DTs as it stands right now. We’re only taking 1-2 DTs and already have Beamon, and lots of schools seem to have some concerns about Faucheaux’s athletic ceiling.

Not sure if already posted, but here are all the official visitors this weekend (via BSD):

THE OFFICIAL VISITORS

QB Michael Johnson Jr. (Eugene, OR)
— With Tommy Stevens now staying, the need for two quarterbacks in the 2019 class isn’t pertinent, but Johnson Jr. might be too good to turn away. He’s an absurd athlete, not just for the quarterback position, but in general. Good size too at 6-foot-3, 192 pounds. He needs some polish as a passer, but the arm talent is there.

Johnson’s dad — Michael Johnson Sr. — is the wide receivers coach at Oregon, so it was widely expected that Johnson would stay in Eugene. But with Oregon transitioning to more of a pro-style attack under Mario Cristobal, Johnson was an odd fit with the Ducks so Cristobal and Co. went in another direction, taking QB Cale Millen instead. Because of that, Johnson Jr. is a bit up in the air, and it seems like he could end up at a number of places. With a good visit this weekend, Penn State could be one of them.

RB Eric Gray (Memphis, TN) — Touched on Gray in last week’s B&H. Smaller running back at 5-foot-10, 191 pounds, which would make him a nice complement to Devyn Ford. Penn State’s a long shot here, as Gray is expected to stay South, but it never hurts to get talented prospects on campus.

WR John Dunmore (Fort Lauderdale, FL) — The Seider Effect in full effect here. The 6-foot-2 Sunshine State wide receiver was committed to Florida while Seider was on the staff, but rescinded his commitment shortly after Seider left. It would still be a shocker if Penn State was able to pull Dunmore — he’s a Florida State lean — but credit to Seider here for even having the Nittany Lions in the picture.

WR John Metchie (Hagerstown, MD via Canada) — While Penn State continues to be the team to beat, this is a hugely crucial weekend. Michigan and Notre Dame remain in the thicks of things, while Josh Gattis and Alabama are starting to become a real threat too. Still like Penn State here, but you’d like to see this one get wrapped up sooner rather than later.

TE Jahleel Billingsley (Chicago, IL) — Billingsley has been all over the map, with Penn State, Ohio State, Illinois, and now Florida taking turns atop his list. This will be Billingsley first visit to Happy Valley since the February Junior Day, when he called the Nittany Lions his leader, so maybe they can recreate some magic from that visit.

LB Lance Dixon (West Bloomfield, MI) — Penn State is surging for the Michigan linebacker, picking up a couple 247Sports Crystal Ball predictions in the last few days. Official visits to Wisconsin and Michigan are set after this, but the Nittany Lions can separate themselves from the pack with a good weekend. Would be a really, really great pairing with Brandon Smith who, by the way, is also taking his official visit this weekend.

DB Lewis Cine (Cedar Hill, TX via Massachusetts) — This is the biggin’. Outside of five-star Zach Harrison, Cine is probably the top overall target of the staff, and with him on campus for the first time since moving to Texas, Penn State will want to re-establish why Cine had (and seemingly continues to have) the Nittany Lions atop his list.

DB Lewis Cine (Cedar Hill, TX via Massachusetts) — This is the biggin’. Outside of five-star Zach Harrison, Cine is probably the top overall target of the staff,

I don't agree with them here. Our DB class for 2019 is stacked. Cine is a great player, but give me Dixon #1. Top sprinter in the state as a linebacker, great frame. Would complete that LB starting unit with all super blue chippers. Parsons, Smith, Dixon.

There was a paragraph on this in PL yesterday. Forget who the writer was, but the said Franklin looked bigger than 204lb that he's listed as.

Without seeing an updated weight, it's curious for sure. To me, it seems like a move in the mold of Shaka Toney, whose arrival weight seemed fit for LB. They want speed rushers at DE for passing downs.

Additionally, it might mean our other LBs are doing what they want as well.

Still like to see an updated weight...

Without seeing an updated weight, it's curious for sure. To me, it seems like a move in the mold of Shaka Toney, whose arrival weight seemed fit for LB. They want speed rushers at DE for passing downs.

Additionally, it might mean our other LBs are doing what they want as well.

Still like to see an updated weight...

IMO, it doesn't mean much. I highly doubt he ever sees the field, anywhere.

4 star FL CB decommits from Michigan class.

giphy.gif

Do you feel like this is one of those "he isn't going to see the field, let's move him around so he'll transfer" moves?

Wouldn't put too much stock in what Smails says. His knowledge is limited to what someone else says on twitter.

Wouldn't put too much stock in what Smails says. His knowledge is limited to what someone else says on twitter.

That's why I want to see the weight. Best I remember, kid came in undersized and looked more like a safety prospect than LB. Has he taken a growth spurt? Lacks LB instincts? Too slow for safety?

Damn off season. Leaves a lot to ponder.

Clemson insider on Kelly, calling Cine a "sure thing" to PSU.

According to Clemson insiders, Kelly was a silent commit to multiple schools. Those games are the kind of stuff that got his offers fully pulled. Here's what one guy said as far as the whole story:

What a roller coaster the last 16-24 hours of following that recruitment were.

I wanted to wait on commenting to make sure all the info I had was accurate, but up until today I don’t think Kelly was a take anywhere but UVA. I heard around the same time as everyone yesterday that Clemson was no longer recruiting Kelly. At first I was mad/confused because he’s an elite Safety, but then I realized he wanted to play strictly corner and that definitely played a part but it was not the only reason. Kelly gave silents to multiple schools and based on what I’ve heard I’m not sure he was the right fit for Clemson…

Penn State didn’t want to play with fire, and so they focused on a sure thing in Cine. Last night I heard that he had gotten in contact with ND and VT, and that he wanted to go to VT. ND passed on him, and he was not a take for VT until about 2 hours before his announcement. Ohio State looked to be the choice as of early this morning but even Meyer wouldn’t take him (and if you’re talented Meyer takes anyone lol). Finally, VT conceded as they thought it would look bad to deny a highly-rated in-state kid’s commitment, and he ultimately ended up at a school outside of his top 8. I’d be surprised if he sticks, but you won’t see Clemson pressing for him at any point in the future.

Reading into this, is Kelly "not the elite prospect" we were lead to believe based on his ranking?

This isn’t high school.

It must have buzzed by you that the reference was to his familiarity with DL. Maybe he just isn’t comfortable at LB, as that was a projection. Obviosly he has to add size, but unless someone here weighed him recently we don’t know how much. It may be logical to believe he is working on it now, and has been since at least his CJF post Spring meeting.

Listed as 6'2", 200 out of high school.

6'2", 204 on the latest public roster that I can find.

A move to DE is unusual, without learning he grew to like 6'4"-6-5" or minimally bulked up to 218 (weight Toney started playing DE at). To me, it minimally says the coaches like our LB depth (even if we are very young there). Additionally, it sounds like a project move (think Thomas from RB to LB once Saquon showed up).

A long way from signing day but that is potentially a big one. In the 1990s, Michigan would go out of their way to target players in Penn State's home territory, players Paterno wanted badly -- it was double duty because they were getting a player and Paterno was losing a player.

This is kind of like that in reverse. Penn State has been making steady progress getting players out of Michigan that Michigan wants.

Dixon is also a fantastic fit for the PSU defensive system -- basically a long, fast LB who can run and cover (and hit) like a safety. I'm sure he likes the idea of playing with Parsons and Brandon Smith.
When exactly did “tall” become “long” and “height” become “length”, for that matter, in recruit-speak? o_O

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT